ADVERTISEMENT

Bart Torvik has IU up to #16 for next season

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
Obviously, he still isn't including Lander at this point. Torvik has become pretty respected, so, even though they'll still have to prove it on the court, I think this shows the value of getting older. Last year Torvik had pretty much this same roster at #59 or so pre-season, now they are in the shadows of a Fab 15 ranking (for any old Basketball Weekly subscribers).

The incoming frosh that Torvik is considering are projecting to have little impact, so the big leap is all based on last years roster sans Green (Torvik had him as an impact player last year, but not Deron).

Just hoping we have hoops at this point, but I'm guessing that, once Lander is added into the mix, Torvik will have IU very close to my own #9 ranking.

I'm very optimistic for next year (would be more so with Lander and a grad transfer big ready to give 10 min a game). I'm not ready to say top 15 until I see them play, but should be at least top 25ish (barring setbacks). 2022 will be the year of the return to being a top program (assuming we can land another big and a true SG or scoring combo and TJD doesn't develop into a lottery pick...which would take a large improvement on the offensive end and 20-30 more lbs.).

I'm very optimistic for next year (would be more so with Lander and a grad transfer big ready to give 10 min a game). I'm not ready to say top 15 until I see them play, but should be at least top 25ish (barring setbacks). 2022 will be the year of the return to being a top program (assuming we can land another big and a true SG or scoring combo and TJD doesn't develop into a lottery pick...which would take a large improvement on the offensive end and 20-30 more lbs.).
I would think next year is the year given we will lose durham, smith, tjd, and brunk for 2022. I would think we will be better this next season imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis
I would think next year is the year given we will lose durham, smith, tjd, and brunk for 2022. I would think we will be better this next season imo.

Losing TJD is far from certain. But you could be right on the impact of losing the others. Hope not though. As I’m thinking seniors Thompson and Hunter, junior Franklin, and sophomores Lander, Leal, and Galloway will be better than this years group you mentioned. TJD obviously impacts that greatly.

Losing TJD is far from certain. But you could be right on the impact of losing the others. Hope not though. As I’m thinking seniors Thompson and Hunter, junior Franklin, and sophomores Lander, Leal, and Galloway will be better than this years group you mentioned. TJD obviously impacts that greatly.

Hunter is now in Franklin's class.

Excuse playbook for as long as I can’t remember:

Wait until next year...

And REALLY wait for two years from now.

We’re perennially a title contender two years in the future. We just keep moving it forward.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Excuse playbook for as long as I can’t remember:

Wait until next year...

And REALLY wait for two years from now.

We’re perennially a title contender two years in the future. We just keep moving it forward.
The happy talk never dies.

Obviously, he still isn't including Lander at this point. Torvik has become pretty respected, so, even though they'll still have to prove it on the court, I think this shows the value of getting older. Last year Torvik had pretty much this same roster at #59 or so pre-season, now they are in the shadows of a Fab 15 ranking (for any old Basketball Weekly subscribers).

The incoming frosh that Torvik is considering are projecting to have little impact, so the big leap is all based on last years roster sans Green (Torvik had him as an impact player last year, but not Deron).

Just hoping we have hoops at this point, but I'm guessing that, once Lander is added into the mix, Torvik will have IU very close to my own #9 ranking.
Veteran players returning will be important with an off season and summer washed out due to COVID-19. We are in good shape without too much dependence on Freshmen. Lander will learn quick but won't have the summer to get ready.

So what you’re saying is, they’ll likely be very good for a season that probably won’t even be able to be played. Sounds like par for the course...

Not academically.
We really don't know where anyone is academically - how many credits did the bring with them when they enrolled at IU?
My grandson graduates next month from Westfield and will have over 20 hrs of credit to take with him to college.

Academic standing is not really important - athletic eligibility remaining is what really counts and JH & AF are in the say class eligibility wise.

We really don't know where anyone is academically - how many credits did the bring with them when they enrolled at IU?
My grandson graduates next month from Westfield and will have over 20 hrs of credit to take with him to college.

Academic standing is not really important - athletic eligibility remaining is what really counts and JH & AF are in the say class eligibility wise.
Academic standing is important if a player wants to continue playing, but someplace else, or graduating and starting adulthood. Those could be options for Hunter sooner than they would be for Franklin.

It’s the off-season. Every team is a contender according to the fan gossip boards.
True for most teams. But I doubt Iowa or Rutgers fans are claiming to be contenders. And they have better programs than we do these days.

You and your 4-5 cult members do not speak for the rest of the board.
I'm not a cult member. I'm on record saying that next yr is make or break for CAM. A cult member follows blindly. By definition, I am not a cult member.

I'm more than willing to extend the vote to the entire board. not just the fictitious few in your head.

Oh, by the way....Coach Donavan.

I'm not a cult member. I'm on record saying that next yr is make or break for CAM. A cult member follows blindly. By definition, I am not a cult member.

I'm more than willing to extend the vote to the entire board. not just the fictitious few in your head.

Oh, by the way....Coach Donavan.
What’s make or break to you? Does 11th place make it?

Likely not good enough for me.

I can see a scenario where I’d retain him with another 11th place finish. But it would likely have to include major injury issues and another historically deep conference.

But in general, if I’m the AD, a second straight 11th place finish means I’m firing him.

Upper half B1G, preferably top 4-5
NCAA bid, 6 seed or better
top 25 team throughout the season
keeping 20-30 pt blowout losses on the road to a minimum
Kids playing like they care- if we're getting beat by NW at home with a few minutes left in the game, I better not see anyone smiling and cutting up in the huddle

And I'd give up 1-2 of the conditions above for a run to the S16 or beyond.

Oh, and if someone could finally light a stick of dynamite under Justin Smith's ass, that would be helpful.

I want to see IU back to a perennial top 10-15 team, but the program has been mismanaged as far back as RMK's final 3-4 years. Recruits today, especially outside of Indiana, don't care about IU's run in the 70s/80s any more than Wooden/UCLA's run the previous decade. It's ancient history to all these iphone snapchat kids. So while I'm not expecting top 10 and NCAA FF run next year, I do expect to see most, if not all, of the conditions above. It is time for more than just a season of debatable improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT