ADVERTISEMENT

Barron Trump's school says stay home

Too bad they cant send the folks over here to consult. All essential workers/professionals arent allowed to travel.
A lot of good people are having to make decisions that they shouldn’t of had to make. I’m one of them.

It begins.

The thriving metropolis of Elwood. Yes, localities are affected differently. However, we don’t live in those bubbles. The Midwest, including many small towns, are feeling the pain right now because their friends and neighbors had to take that summer vacation to Florida. That’s the issue with thinking this is all local. It’s not.

the lack of uniformity about everything covid-related drives me nuts. public schools here are largely online only. private schools here are largely in-person. youth soccer just got shut down. 11 v 11 outside on a 120 yard field, yet bars and restaurants are still open. some states are near a total lockdown. others wide open.
Poor leadership and “small government.”

I'm talking about teachers distancing from students. I agree that students distancing from each other is tough across all ages. This looks pretty scary to me, from Georgia this week:

8dbTQra.jpeg
Well, it seems as if that picture was taken at T.rump High School in Georgia.
The photographer was suspended for breaking 3 rules, although she only broke 2 (and admitted it, and felt it was worth it).

The principal said wearing a mask is a personal choice and there is no way to enforce a mask policy. :eek:.
Couldn't you say the same about any rule. They sure had no problem enforcing the " no posting photos on social media rule". :rolleyes:
Hell, they also "enforced" 2 rules she didn't even break.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/us/georgia-teen-photo-crowded-school-hallway-trnd/index.html

Reactions: brianiu
Well, it seems as if that picture was taken at T.rump High School in Georgia.
The photographer was suspended for breaking 3 rules, although she only broke 2 (and admitted it, and felt it was worth it).

The principal said wearing a mask is a personal choice and there is no way to enforce a mask policy. :eek:.
Couldn't you say the same about any rule. They sure had no problem enforcing the " no posting photos on social media rule". :rolleyes:
Hell, they also "enforced" 2 rules she didn't even break.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/us/georgia-teen-photo-crowded-school-hallway-trnd/index.html

She only broke one rule, taking photos of kids in school. She didn't break any other rules since she was a sophomore and posted the photo after school.

Still, pretty weak looking for the school to suspend the kid for three days for posting a pic when kids are using their phones all the time during school. It just so happens, the school system got exposed with their pants down on this one.

After the story made the national press the school was forced to cancel the suspension.

Last edited:
So, the school that the girl took the pic at had to close because 9 kids tested positive for COVID.

Tweet from Beth Moore, GA House Rep HD-85:

'Worst testimony so far - from a verified teacher in a North #Georgia School Dstrict:

"I am planning for 27 students in my tiny classroom. They are not making masks mandatory. My principal is joking to people that this is 'God's cleansing plan'."

Last edited:
Trump just said he wants money given directly to the student instead of the schools. Obviously, the war on public school is no secret, but I hadn’t heard him say this directly yet.

Trump just said he wants money given directly to the student instead of the schools. Obviously, the war on public school is no secret, but I hadn’t heard him say this directly yet.
Our school system is just a branch of the communist party!

Kudos on spelling it correctly. I saw it in her classroom and thought it looked wrong but I couldn’t remember how to spell it and had to look it up. Sure as shit they had their word of the month wrong. Unreal.
Inventive spelling. In my daughter’s Hawaii elementary school that was a thing. As long as the teacher could tell what the kids were trying to spell they gave them credit. Drove me nuts so I would teach my daughter the correct way to spell things. Now she’s a stickler about spelling and grammar, and is an excellent writer. I’m afraid that many of her friends are still awful at spelling, grammar and writing as evidenced by their Facebook posts.

Inventive spelling. In my daughter’s Hawaii elementary school that was a thing. As long as the teacher could tell what the kids were trying to spell they gave them credit. Drove me nuts so I would teach my daughter the correct way to spell things. Now she’s a stickler about spelling and grammar, and is an excellent writer. I’m afraid that many of her friends are still awful at spelling, grammar and writing as evidenced by their Facebook posts.
Lol good for you!!! Being a good writer is probably the skill with the most applications in life. Sounds like you did a good job.

Are they redundantly redundant?

Lol good for you!!! Being a good writer is probably the skill with the most applications in life. Sounds like you did a good job.
Her mother is also a stickler for spelling, grammar and writing and she gets more credit since she wasn’t gone for stretches of months at sea like I was.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Obviously I wasn't in that classroom every day, but I'd like to give you some perspective on why a teacher might not always focus on spelling and grammar. Writing is something that is very difficult for some children, and for those it's most important to get them comfortable with getting words on paper, otherwise they'll never try it enough to get any better at it. Many teachers do a mix, sometimes the point is just writing and turning thoughts into words, sometimes the point is writing correctly and those are two very different activities when you don't have enough experience to do both at the same time. It's great that your daughter was able to do both without impacting confidence, but I'd humbly suggest that it's possible what you're describing wasn't the case on every writing assignment.

Obviously I wasn't in that classroom every day, but I'd like to give you some perspective on why a teacher might not always focus on spelling and grammar. Writing is something that is very difficult for some children, and for those it's most important to get them comfortable with getting words on paper, otherwise they'll never try it enough to get any better at it. Many teachers do a mix, sometimes the point is just writing and turning thoughts into words, sometimes the point is writing correctly and those are two very different activities when you don't have enough experience to do both at the same time. It's great that your daughter was able to do both without impacting confidence, but I'd humbly suggest that it's possible what you're describing wasn't the case on every writing assignment.
Correct. As a second and third grade teacher, we had a time and place for both. During creative writing, some students would barely write a sentence if they knew their paper would come back all marked up with grammar and spelling errors. We concentrated on spelling and grammar during different times, but during journal and creative writing, you just wanted to read their thoughts and stories. As they get older, you concentrate more on the other. Standardized tests are the same, you’d get both a grade for content and a separate grade for mechanics.

Last edited:
Correct. As a second and third grade teacher, we had a time and place for both. During creative writing, some students would barely right a sentence if they knew their paper would come back all marked up with grammar and spelling errors. We concentrated on spelling and grammar during different times, but during journal and creative writing, you just wanted to read their thoughts and stories. As they get older, you concentrate more on the other. Standardized tests are the same, you’d get both a grade for content and a separate grade for mechanics.
Since you all know me as a grammar/spelling Nazi, anyway, I have a story. I want to preface this by saying that I was extraordinarily lucky as a youngster, being assigned to a string of really great teachers. Some were young and idealistic, others were older and dedicated, but I had a lot of good years in school.

But in third grade, I had a teacher who just seemed to not care about us very much. One memory that sticks out to me, more than thirty years later, was the day that she was teaching us a new word and spelled it wrong on the board. I raised my hand, and corrected her. I was eight. I was trying to impress my teacher with my knowledge. She called me to the front of the room, and spat in my ear that nobody likes a know-it-all, and sent me back to my seat.

Now that I'm older, I realize she was right; no one does like a know-it-all. But I also know I didn't raise my hand again for a very long time.

Reactions: mashnut
Since you all know me as a grammar/spelling Nazi, anyway, I have a story. I want to preface this by saying that I was extraordinarily lucky as a youngster, being assigned to a string of really great teachers. Some were young and idealistic, others were older and dedicated, but I had a lot of good years in school.

But in third grade, I had a teacher who just seemed to not care about us very much. One memory that sticks out to me, more than thirty years later, was the day that she was teaching us a new word and spelled it wrong on the board. I raised my hand, and corrected her. I was eight. I was trying to impress my teacher with my knowledge. She called me to the front of the room, and spat in my ear that nobody likes a know-it-all, and sent me back to my seat.

Now that I'm older, I realize she was right; no one does like a know-it-all. But I also know I didn't raise my hand again for a very long time.
That is absolutely horrible. At the least she should have played it off and said I was hoping someone would catch that!!

Correct. As a second and third grade teacher, we had a time and place for both. During creative writing, some students would barely right a sentence if they knew their paper would come back all marked up with grammar and spelling errors. We concentrated on spelling and grammar during different times, but during journal and creative writing, you just wanted to read their thoughts and stories. As they get older, you concentrate more on the other. Standardized tests are the same, you’d get both a grade for content and a separate grade for mechanics.

*write ;)

I use Grammarly. I barely need to do any editing, checking now. If I am wrong then blame those damn Ukrainians for their poor understinding of the English Lanigage anyway or its some glitch.

I have learnt in lif, the tick is to take all the credit where possible or not and deflect all blames.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT