ADVERTISEMENT

Barron Trump's school says stay home

Obviously I wasn't in that classroom every day, but I'd like to give you some perspective on why a teacher might not always focus on spelling and grammar. Writing is something that is very difficult for some children, and for those it's most important to get them comfortable with getting words on paper, otherwise they'll never try it enough to get any better at it. Many teachers do a mix, sometimes the point is just writing and turning thoughts into words, sometimes the point is writing correctly and those are two very different activities when you don't have enough experience to do both at the same time. It's great that your daughter was able to do both without impacting confidence, but I'd humbly suggest that it's possible what you're describing wasn't the case on every writing assignment.

The good ones don't.

As you say, get the child comfortable with the concept of written expression and then work on the technicalities.

Since you all know me as a grammar/spelling Nazi, anyway, I have a story. I want to preface this by saying that I was extraordinarily lucky as a youngster, being assigned to a string of really great teachers. Some were young and idealistic, others were older and dedicated, but I had a lot of good years in school.

But in third grade, I had a teacher who just seemed to not care about us very much. One memory that sticks out to me, more than thirty years later, was the day that she was teaching us a new word and spelled it wrong on the board. I raised my hand, and corrected her. I was eight. I was trying to impress my teacher with my knowledge. She called me to the front of the room, and spat in my ear that nobody likes a know-it-all, and sent me back to my seat.

Now that I'm older, I realize she was right; no one does like a know-it-all. But I also know I didn't raise my hand again for a very long time.
Not a good thing for your teacher to do IMO.

Obviously I wasn't in that classroom every day, but I'd like to give you some perspective on why a teacher might not always focus on spelling and grammar. Writing is something that is very difficult for some children, and for those it's most important to get them comfortable with getting words on paper, otherwise they'll never try it enough to get any better at it. Many teachers do a mix, sometimes the point is just writing and turning thoughts into words, sometimes the point is writing correctly and those are two very different activities when you don't have enough experience to do both at the same time. It's great that your daughter was able to do both without impacting confidence, but I'd humbly suggest that it's possible what you're describing wasn't the case on every writing assignment.
My teachers did both without harming my confidence or those of my classmates to the best of my knowledge. Same with my wife who attended the same Hawaii school as President Obama, who clearly didn’t have his confidence ruined. ;) My wife and I aren’t elementary school teachers and I only taught on the college level years later. Somehow it worked with our daughter. Could be dumb luck though.

What’s going on August 27th? And what’s creepy?

The creepy part is the implication that you are reading your daughters friends facebook posts ;)

August 27th is the day your President gets nominated by the Republican party to be your party's nominee for President. You know what that means right?

The creepy part is the implication that you are reading your daughters friends facebook posts ;)

August 27th is the day your President gets nominated by the Republican party to be your party's nominee for President. You know what that means right?
I'm sure Aloha is ecstatic about that. :rolleyes:

I thought you were referencing that dumb Tik Tok thing.

Well, my daughter is 28 years old and is a “friend” on Facebook as are many of her friends. Don’t know how you consider that creepy.

Trump is OUR President, but I didn’t vote for him in 2016 and I’m not voting for him this year. I don’t have a clue what you think your point is or what you believe is the answer to your question.

Don’t be so creepy.

Last edited:

houllier.gif
houllier.gif

Technically, he had a challenger, but he definitely didn’t lose. I let my hopes lead me to a stupid bet. Venmo?

That conversation was more about your assertion that he’d become a dictator. That still isn’t going to happen. It can’t happen in this country under current conditions.

Thanks. Just wondering when you will be changing your party registration to NPA?

I don't have venmo. You can choose a charity that helps disabled vets and I'll match it. Non-religious charity please.

Maybe this one?
https://www.charitynavigator.org/in...gid=7589&from=HotTopic-Grouped&fromlistid=205

I was looking for a Navy specific one, but couldn't find one.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Reactions: toastedbread
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT