ADVERTISEMENT

Banks grabs props for

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
patience, practice, and play v. OSU

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2023/1/31/mens-basketball-patience-starting-to-pay-off-for-kaleb-banks

"It was a challenge," he says about waiting for a playing chance. "It got hard. It was hard, but I stayed ready, stayed the course, and eventually like (Saturday night), I got a chance. I think I contributed well."

Contribution followed solid practices, Woodson says.

"He's been very in tune to what we're doing in practice, in shootarounds, in walk-throughs," Woodson says. "I thought it was time to give him an opportunity, and he played well. It's nice to see. Sometimes when players haven't played, they can easily go the other way, and he didn't."

Woodson tells players to maximize their playing time, whether it's just for a few minutes, or most of the game. Banks bought into that.

"That was my motivation," he says. "It was my shot. I had a feeling before the game that this was going to be the day, so I tried to make the best out of it."

Next year’s returning front court, Banks, Malik, and JG will compete well.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2023/1/31/mens-basketball-patience-starting-to-pay-off-for-kaleb-banks

"It was a challenge," he says about waiting for a playing chance. "It got hard. It was hard, but I stayed ready, stayed the course, and eventually like (Saturday night), I got a chance. I think I contributed well."

"He's been very in tune to what we're doing in practice, in shootarounds, in walk-throughs," Woodson says. "I thought it was time to give him an opportunity, and he played well. It's nice to see. Sometimes when players haven't played, they can easily go the other way, and he didn't."

Woodson tells players to maximize their playing time, whether it's just for a few minutes, or most of the game. Banks bought into that.

"That was my motivation," he says. "It was my shot. I had a feeling before the game that this was going to be the day, so I tried to make the best out of it."

They need more size but they are a strong core.

I agree. And the nice thing is that two of them are very young and all have the potential to really stretch the D. Very good core there. Now we need JHS to keep improving and come back for a second year and another couple guards to step up. I really like what Gunn has done. He could be really good

I agree. And the nice thing is that two of them are very young and all have the potential to really stretch the D. Very good core there. Now we need JHS to keep improving and come back for a second year and another couple guards to step up. I really like what Gunn has done. He could be really good
I like all the freshmen.

I'll go avge at best..None have length.
Only one has hops...And he is very limited with his dribbling skills for a 3.
Experienced front line help is where Woodson absolutely has to go for in portal..

Experienced front line help is where Woodson absolutely has to go for in portal..
I don't understand people's obsession with the "portal". If a player is in the portal it means one of 3 things. A) they are not good enough to go pro, B) they are not getting enough playing time at current school or they think they should be, but can't earn minutes, C) they don't get along with their coach or teammates. Beyond a family or medical hardship situation, I'm really not a fan of recruiting from the portal. Why can't we just recruit?

Reactions: ams66 and Bill4411
I don't understand people's obsession with the "portal". If a player is in the portal it means one of 3 things. A) they are not good enough to go pro, B) they are not getting enough playing time at current school or they think they should be, but can't earn minutes, C) they don't get along with their coach or teammates. Beyond a family or medical hardship situation, I'm really not a fan of recruiting from the portal. Why can't we just recruit?
Overly simplistic view of the current transfer portal variables.

A big chunk of the transfers that make an impact at a high major, come from mid/low majors. They weren't as highly rated coming out of high school, for whatever reason. And they have developed in to high major level players after getting to college. In today's world, I don't have a big problem with those kids looking to challenge themselves more at bigger schools.

I'm not a fan of the kids that transfer every year, or make lateral transfer moves because of role or playing time issues. And I think its up to the coaching staff to sift through the things you mention, the types of kids I mention, and make sure they're bringing in kids that will fit in well, and improve their program.

In IU's current situation. We have 2 HS kids signed to come in. There are very, very few unsigned 2023 HS kids...and I can't think of any we're recruiting at this point. There will be Malik Reneau type decommits this spring, when coaching changes start happening. But that's a pretty risk thing to rely on. So, we could be looking at losing...TJD, X, Miller, Race, and JHS at years end...and only replacing with 2 borderline top 100 kids. You don't think we need to be entertaining the thought of bringing in a college basketball ready big man via the portal? We don't need a proven scoring wing? Cupps gonna be able to shoulder the PG load by himself?

Don't really think you're allowing for all the myriad of reasons. Imagine you are a good college player at a mid-major, not recruited by high majors out of HS, but you'd like to play at the top level and see if you can get to the pro level. Or, you're struggling to pay for college and at a program that doesn't have much NIL. It's a good tool at times; why not avail yourself of both? UNC doesn't make the final game last year without Brady Manek and he didn't fit any of your criteria. That's like playing poker and saying, I don't really see the value of 10's...

Reactions: 76-1
Don't really think you're allowing for all the myriad of reasons. Imagine you are a good college player at a mid-major, not recruited by high majors out of HS, but you'd like to play at the top level and see if you can get to the pro level. Or, you're struggling to pay for college and at a program that doesn't have much NIL. It's a good tool at times; why not avail yourself of both? UNC doesn't make the final game last year without Brady Manek and he didn't fit any of your criteria. That's like playing poker and saying, I don't really see the value of 10's...
He's been on this stupid spiel for 2+ years. It's part of recruiting now and will be going forward, you either get with the times or get left behind.

Reactions: kkott
This is a typical 1980 IU fans response. Truth is it is 2023 and the portal is a valuable recruiting tool. If a school is not using it, they are simply missing out big time.

It's a part of the recruiting picture but it's not "order a player to my specifications"

You take what you can get, and not everyone in the portal is there for good reasons. Like IUNorth said you have to screen them out.

experience.

"only one has hops..and he is very limited with his dribbling skills for a 3" -- How many times does someone have to tell you that JG is not a 3! If the lineup is Banks, Malik & JG - Kaleb is the 3 (the position he has played mostly this year).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT