ADVERTISEMENT

Ball

Under new NCAA eligibility guidelines stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, Ball is able to return for the 2021 season as a sixth year senior if he so chooses. All fall athletes were granted an additional year of eligibility.

I feel bad for Marcelino because that kid has a chance to play on Sundays. Let's hope he is able to heal up and maybe even take another go at it next year.

Reactions: Sassy61
With 8 straight games and no bye week this year depth will be important to all teams. So even though we have some quality people to move into the position, you really don't want to have any injuries at this point in the season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hate to see it. I hope he recovers quickly and gets to play again. First and foremost I wish the guy well and my heart goes out to him.

Looks like Fitzgerald is the Husky now which is where CTA wanted him all along anyway. Fitz played well in spots at safety last year but also struggled at times.

I know you have to look at more than just stats but last year it seemed like Ball would disappear for long periods of time. And to be honest he made at least two or three boneheaded plays last year that really hacked me off.

Not trying to pile on at an inopportune time and it's nothing personal, just calling it as I see it.

Will he choose to come back?
Ball was considered a possible draft pick by scouts prior to the injury, so I'm sure they would push for him to come back and try and prove himself next season. He was definitely going to have to play himself into a more solid draft pick, so in my mind, since nothing was guaranteed, I think he will return to prove himself again. But we shall see. Some kids go forward as Pros so as not to risk another injury, but with the projected roster next season at 110, IU will be in good shape at the position regardless of what Ball decides to do.

Ball was considered a possible draft pick by scouts prior to the injury, so I'm sure they would push for him to come back and try and prove himself next season. He was definitely going to have to play himself into a more solid draft pick, so in my mind, since nothing was guaranteed, I think he will return to prove himself again. But we shall see. Some kids go forward as Pros so as not to risk another injury, but with the projected roster next season at 110, IU will be in good shape at the position regardless of what Ball decides to do.
If he wants to take a swing at the pros he'll certainly play NCAA next year. He was a draft prospect based on measureables before, so he'll need to prove he's able to come back. Even without the injury, he was going to have to have a performance jump this season to really solidify his prospects.

Whether he plays at IU or transfers will largely be a reflection of how Fitzgerald (or anyone else) plays at Husky this year. Like I said, he's going to NEED the game reps to showcase that he's back and able to play at a high level. If Fitz gets a lock on the position, he'll be gone. Actually somewhat similar to the Cronk/Bedford situation now that I think about it.

If he wants to take a swing at the pros he'll certainly play NCAA next year. He was a draft prospect based on measureables before, so he'll need to prove he's able to come back. Even without the injury, he was going to have to have a performance jump this season to really solidify his prospects.

Whether he plays at IU or transfers will largely be a reflection of how Fitzgerald (or anyone else) plays at Husky this year. Like I said, he's going to NEED the game reps to showcase that he's back and able to play at a high level. If Fitz gets a lock on the position, he'll be gone. Actually somewhat similar to the Cronk/Bedford situation now that I think about it.
Maybe he comes back to be a part of a LB rotation? 6'/219#s ain't all that big, but some NFL teams have been focused on speed at LB. If he adds 11#s or so maybe he makes it as an LB in college, and projects to be a cover LB in the pros.

Maybe he comes back to be a part of a LB rotation? 6'/219#s ain't all that big, but some NFL teams have been focused on speed at LB. If he adds 11#s or so maybe he makes it as an LB in college, and projects to be a cover LB in the pros.
I can get behind that 100% as a possibility too.

How's our LB stable and recruiting looking for 2021?
Pretty deep & with some ballers. So it'd be competitive.

Assuming NCAA keeps up with the "free year" gimmick & that everyone stays, our LBs include older guys like Cam Jones, James Miller, Thomas Allen (although I'm curious how he'll do coming off the shoulder injury), & Micah McFadden.

And some young guys with high expectations like Cam Williams, D.K. Bonhomme (I think I read he's going to cross-train at Husky now though) & Ty Wise.

I don't think they're really going after LBs this year since they only play the two at a time and they've got a lot clustered up in that RS-So to Jr. range.

I know he's already pretty much jacked to the gills, but while we're just spit balling ideas, could Ball put on enough weight to play rush end in college & maybe convert to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL?

Pretty deep & with some ballers. So it'd be competitive.

Assuming NCAA keeps up with the "free year" gimmick & that everyone stays, our LBs include older guys like Cam Jones, James Miller, Thomas Allen (although I'm curious how he'll do coming off the shoulder injury), & Micah McFadden.

And some young guys with high expectations like Cam Williams, D.K. Bonhomme (I think I read he's going to cross-train at Husky now though) & Ty Wise.

I don't think they're really going after LBs this year since they only play the two at a time and they've got a lot clustered up in that RS-So to Jr. range.

I know he's already pretty much jacked to the gills, but while we're just spit balling ideas, could Ball put on enough weight to play rush end in college & maybe convert to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL?
Uhhhhh . . . umm . . . I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

I'm just spitballing. 😕

Reactions: TMFT
His athleticism is unquestioned. His decision making last few years has been questionable. That said, think his attitude as his college career is nearing an end might focus the mind and he could finally put it all together. Now hopefully that can be next year.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I have always thought any pro future for him would be at linebacker. I don't see the coverage skills to be a safety full time. The problem would be adding more size since the young man is already an incredible physical specimen.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT