ADVERTISEMENT

B1G team/individual stats and RPI as of 5/3/21...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
We moved up a spot in hitting to #5, while we were still #1 in ERA by a wide margin even though we took a hit (no pun intended) in that department from a hot and veteran team in Iowa. Since we concentrate on IU so much it seems we would be ranked down in the conference in fielding, but we are still #2 in that department. Only Neb, which has six fewer errors than us, is ahead of us in that category. You can also access the individual stats at that page.

Conference RPI standings:

Last edited:
I haven't followed closely enough to know if the lineup changes we've seen have been injury-related or performance-related. I'd guess performance-related.....when you see guys like Jessee, Houston, Southern and our first baseman that were everyday starters and now rarely seen, if they just flat out got beaten out or if they had some injury issues. Really sucks if you were a grad transfer and/or came back for an extra year, but performance is the name of the game!

I haven't followed closely enough to know if the lineup changes we've seen have been injury-related or performance-related. I'd guess performance-related.....when you see guys like Jessee, Houston, Southern and our first baseman that were everyday starters and now rarely seen, if they just flat out got beaten out or if they had some injury issues. Really sucks if you were a grad transfer and/or came back for an extra year, but performance is the name of the game!
In the case of Houston, I'm assuming that it is a coaches decision on him, since he has played in a pinch-hitting role. I haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise, but maybe there is something going on with him from an injury standpoint that we don't know about. He was struggling both in the field and at the plate at the time he disappeared from the lineup. Now I have to say that Espalin hasn't been great at the SS position so far either, but he's is a freshman and hopefully he matures with time. I checked the stats on both Houston and Espalin, and Houston has four errors on 25 fielding chances for a fielding percentage of .895, which is not good to say the least. Espalin has four errors on 27 chances for a percentage of .907 which obviously is not much better. Houston seems to be a little better hitter of the two, but not by much since they both seem to be a liability at the plate so far. Espalin did have a couple of clutch hits lately, but I wish we could get more out of him in that area. I don't know what is going on with the other players you mentioned.

Reactions: Irregulars
All are coaches decisions. The best hitters at all their positions are the one's on the field now. Hopkins is red hot and is now a much better hitter and defensive catcher then Southern. Colopy has been much better than Jessee. Fougerousse's is better than Fucci at 1st and has way more eligibility left.

All are coach's decisions and these other guys are completely healthy and pinch hit. Coach has found the best lineup and has stuck with it last few weeks and batting has been better since. As it says in Hoosiers "My Team is on the floor (or in this case field)".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT