ADVERTISEMENT

B1G standings for 5/16/21...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
The weekend action is complete and here are the standings. Link:

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Where do we need to finish to safely secure a spot in the field of 64?

Where do we need to finish to safely secure a spot in the field of 64?
I would like our chances of making the field if we can finish in one of the top three spots in the conference. However, if we end up in the third spot, I would not consider that a secured spot and I would consider it a cross-your-fingers type situation. The two projections have four to five teams from the B1G in the field at this point, but they aren't the NCAA, and who knows how they will be looking at the conference. IMO, no nonconference games hurt the B1G this year and the RPIs of the conference teams will never be very high this season.

Reactions: Charlesroast
I would like our chances of making the field if we can finish in one of the top three spots in the conference. However, if we end up in the third spot, I would not consider that a secured spot and I would consider it a cross-your-fingers type situation. The two projections have four to five teams from the B1G in the field at this point, but they aren't the NCAA, and who knows how they will be looking at the conference. IMO, no nonconference games hurt the B1G this year and the RPIs of the conference teams will never be very high this season.
That makes a lot of sense. Unlike the freaking conference back-stabbing baseball two years in a row.

Agree on 3. Heading into Michigan I thought a 7-4 finish might get us in, and 8-3 might win the conference, but dropping 2 and the way we looked doing it hurt a lot. There are so many possibilities with the way the schedule sets up it is a real crap shoot among Michigan, Nebraska, Maryland & IU. Iowa‘s schedule is favorable but they almost have to run the table and get still need to get some help. Ohio State hurt us and can again but it is tough to see a path for them.

No non-conference games not only hurt the B1G with respect to RPI but I also believe it has contributed to inconsistent line ups and play from the Hoosiers. Coach Mercy has made many references to the value of mid week games especially with younger players. Without those games he has been changing about half the starters and shuffling the order on the fly the last 1/2 of the season. Consistency has suffered IMO.

Still hoping for a strong finish!

Reactions: ptrich
I thought I would add that in a Monday game, Penn St. beat Rutgers, 8-6, in a game that had no affect on the standings. Rutgers was once a hot team having won five straight with two wins over Michigan and then a three-game sweep of Neb, and there were thoughts that they may challenge for a spot in the field of 64. However, since then they have gone into a huge slide going 1-7 over the last eight games.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Baseball never makes sense. That's why I love it. Takes one swing. I'm glad my kids are grown. One pitched in HS. I learned that the young men want to win every game way more than any fan. They put a lot of pressure on themselves to be perfect. They don't need any outside help with pressure. They need support. Our kids are really working hard. Got some nice young talent with veteran mix. I like this team but didn't like Sunday. Not close.
Bottom line is we need to win the next couple, Got to play in not out. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ptrich and mk23
Baseball never makes sense. That's why I love it. Takes one swing. I'm glad my kids are grown. One pitched in HS. I learned that the young men want to win every game way more than any fan. They put a lot of pressure on themselves to be perfect. They don't need any outside help with pressure. They need support. Our kids are really working hard. Got some nice young talent with veteran mix. I like this team but didn't like Sunday. Not close.
Bottom line is we need to win the next couple, Got to play in not out. Go Hoosiers!
Luv Hoosier baseball but if you need a pick me up check out iumsoc in ncaa championship game espn2 at 915p

Reactions: Irregulars
After the loss today to Illinois, here are the current standings going into the pod we host this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT