ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Power Rankings / Path to Six

This defense? The one that got waxed by historic proportions against Auburn, completely blew their matchup against what should have been a walkover against Nevada and literally got run over by TCU? Those guys?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ord-points-music-city-bowl-purdue/2434646002/

You've shown your true colors...

What are the true colors of reality?

I’ll wager you that they shut us down when it counts this year in the Bucket. Our Pillsbury OL will make their front 4 look like the Iron Curtain of the 70s. I don’t care what they did against other teams. I care what they do against us.

In 2017, Purdue started 3-2 with with competitive losses to 8-4 Louisville with Lamar Jackson (Purdue held a 4th quarter lead) and 8-4 Michigan (Purdue held a lead late in the 3rd quarter).

In 2018, Purdue did start 0-3, but with close losses to a 9-5 NW and 8-5 Missouri. Even EMU was a decent MAC team, and is at most Brohm's 6th worst loss at Purdue: 2017 Rutgers, 2018 Auburn and Minny, and 2019 Nevada and TCU being worse. Auburn, Minny, and TCU were/are all much better than EMU, but Purdue was absolutely dismantled in those games.

Those weren't exactly slow starts, generally good to decent performances with losses being some combination of bad luck and good opponents

Purdue has looked BAD to start 2019.
Oh snap, right. What was I thinking? Those are great starts(??)The last 2 years have been slow starts--0-3 last year & 2-2 this year-both seasons they hoped & thought that they could win all 7 of those games, so I beg to differ. & yes--they played well enough to win many of those games, which even further's the feeling that they could/should have won more of those games, most of them, in fact. Whatever you might call those starts likely is synonymous with "slow start".

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Oh snap, right. What was I thinking? Those are great starts(??)The last 2 years have been slow starts--0-3 last year & 2-2 this year-both seasons they hoped & thought that they could win all 7 of those games, so I beg to differ. & yes--they played well enough to win many of those games, which even further's the feeling that they could/should have won more of those games, most of them, in fact. Whatever you might call those starts likely is synonymous with "slow start".

My main point is they showed more promise the previous 2 years even if the wins weren’t there and that they are starting from a bigger deficit this year

My main point is they showed more promise the previous 2 years even if the wins weren’t there and that they are starting from a bigger deficit this year
I understand, but I don't think that promise means much to them, I think they consider(ed)themselves beyond being encouraged by promising play. They're looking for W's. They did pay the man like an SEC coach.

IU Fans here always think there are 6 wins...how many times in the last 40 yrs has it happened? Right not many and not enough. Odds are always against getting 6...period...end of discussion...

IU Fans here always think there are 6 wins...how many times in the last 40 yrs has it happened? Right not many and not enough. Odds are always against getting 6...period...end of discussion...
Most on here don’t let the facts get in the way of their opinion.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Ah, but remember about odds...if they were the "last word", we wouldnt bother to play the games, eh?...vbg

How many wins do you see this year?

How many wins do you see this year?
Darn good question. I've never been a guesser....not on scores or outcomes....but I do have hopes. It will be tough as always to get 6 wins....but it is possible this year. Many teams are down...but 5 wins look fair and a sixth maybe... it's about the defense right now. If their play improves we might get 6...if it relapses...5...but its as hard this season to call as I have seen in a while. I dont think we will beat MSU...nope...but there are 3 beatable teams ahead.

Will we beat them? Wow...problematic I guess...it will take grit...do we have it? Don't know...we will soon though

At this point it's not unreasonable to say we have at least a 50/50 chance of winning:

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Nebraska
Purdue
One of Michigan/Michigan St.

#9WinIndiana is still realistically feasible, especially if including the bowl victory in that count :)

Believe.

At this point it's not unreasonable to say we have at least a 50/50 chance of winning:

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Nebraska
Purdue

#9WinIndiana is still realistically feasible, especially if including the bowl victory in that count :)

Believe.
I dont think I would add either UM or MSU as a 50/50 chance, and maybe not Nebraska...but the remaining 4, yeah at least a 50/50 chance and that aint bad from where I sit...

Purdues defense is
I dont think I would add either UM or MSU as a 50/50 chance, and maybe not Nebraska...but the remaining 4, yeah at least a 50/50 chance and that aint bad from where I sit...
Rutgers is not 50/50 more like 70/30 our favor

Rutgers
Maryland
Northwestern
Nebraska
Purdue

Believe.

If Nebraska or Maryland were at home, we might have a shot at 6 wins but we almost never win on the road in the conference. That means Rutgers, Northwestern and stealing one against Michigan (unlikely as usual).

Reactions: IUCol
Let's just sum this up...road wins are twice as hard to get...for many reasons...and getting 6 wins is going to be tough and require at least one kinda upset. But damn that is not impossible...just hard to do. There are enough "beatable" teams left on the schedule to get 3 more...

But it won't be easy so root like hell for old IU boys...if Allen is capable of a "breakthrough", I dont see a better opportunity than now...for this season. Enough talk about potential...just win 3 and most will jump on the bandwagon. If not...talk will turn ugly for a long unsettled summer.

Just win...we can talk it to death...just win and shut it all up...its on you coaches...get them ready to play to their best ability and let the chips fall...

Every fan base in America begins the season with high aspirations. It is what fans do.

And that is what being a fan is about. The sad cases are the ones that instead of having high hopes for their own team they spend their time and energy trying to bring down their rival.

Thanks for that brilliant insight...real Fb sauvy...not...go fish...

Nebraska right now is 25th in defensive efficiency. They’re also 5th in the country in turnovers caused. They shot themselves in the foot in the Illinois game, by evidence of the stats. So, tell me what Indiana can bring into Lincoln that can beat a more talented team?

Nebraska right now is 25th in defensive efficiency. They’re also 5th in the country in turnovers caused. They shot themselves in the foot in the Illinois game, by evidence of the stats. So, tell me what Indiana can bring into Lincoln that can beat a more talented team?

You guys are kind of like our basketball program:

Lot of history.
Used to be nationally elite.
Iconic coach.

Now.....a shell of its former self.
IU might have had a chance if it was in B-town and was last year’s Nebraska team.

We won’t beat you in Lincoln. We can stop that silly talk right now. There is at least one game coming for Nebraska to get the tar beat out of them (OSU).

Nebraska will be either 3 or 4 in the West this year.

Reactions: IUCol
You guys are kind of like our basketball program:

Lot of history.
Used to be nationally elite.
Iconic coach.

Now.....a shell of its former self.
IU might have had a chance if it was in B-town and was last year’s Nebraska team.

We won’t beat you in Lincoln. We can stop that silly talk right now. There is at least one game coming for Nebraska to get the tar beat out of them (OSU).

Nebraska will be either 3 or 4 in the West this year.

Meh, better than deciding when win 6 won’t come.

ADVERTISEMENT