ADVERTISEMENT

B1G expansion plans?

LOL, Man, have you ever been to Champagne/Urbana? It makes Purdue look sophisticated.

I don't know that I've ever been to a more depressing campus than that place. Ugh. And I have no reason to run it down, other than it's true.
I've been there about 10 times and I've always thought the same thing.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
LOL, Man, have you ever been to Champagne/Urbana? It makes Purdue look sophisticated.

I don't know that I've ever been to a more depressing campus than that place. Ugh. And I have no reason to run it down, other than it's true.

I've been there a couple of times...

Biggest impressions I had were 1. how flat the countryside was an hour or so out all the way into C-U; and 2. how isolated Assembly Hall & Memorial Stadium seemed to be from the rest of campus. The whole campus seemed to be spread out over a large area......

Reactions: vesuvius13

Yes, I've been to U of I for a couple of football games. What does that have to do with my post? Are you confused?

Yes, I've been to U of I for a couple of football games. What does that have to do with my post? Are you confused?

In that post, you suggested the Illinois was a better fit in the "metro" east. Probably not what you meant to convey, but that's how the post came across and what people are having fun with.

In that post, you suggested the Illinois was a better fit in the "metro" east. Probably not what you meant to convey, but that's how the post came across and what people are having fun with.
UI + NW are more metro than IU + Purdue. What's your issue?

UI + NW are more metro than IU + Purdue. What's your issue?
U of I is nowhere close to being metro. Northwestern, despite their marketing campaign, is not remotely close to being “Chicago’s Big Ten School.” Chicago happens to be in the state of Illinois but neither school get much of anything from Chicago. If they did, they’d be the two dominant programs in the conference.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Responding to your post: "NW-IL is a better cultural fit in the "metro" east and IU-PU a better cultural fit in the "prairie"."

U of Illinois IS the "prairie". It's certainly not a "metro".

So that's what it has to do with your post. I'm not confused, but you appear to be.

Responding to your post: "NW-IL is a better cultural fit in the "metro" east and IU-PU a better cultural fit in the "prairie"."

U of Illinois IS the "prairie". It's certainly not a "metro".

So that's what it has to do with your post. I'm not confused, but you appear to be.
U of I is sitting out in cornfields, NW is not. Both IU and Purdue are sitting out in cornfields.

...but why doesn't anyone think the UT would go PAC-12? They'd be one of the biggest fish in a bigger pond, there would be the inevitable "red state-blue state" rivalries (Texas BBQ v. Cali Tofu, Cowboys v. The Commiies, Longhorns v. west coast steers, etc.) they'd have Arizona, Utah and Colorado to help with the travel geography for other sports and they could probably dictate some pretty decent terms.
When the growth started, I really did want Texas and ND to make the BT THE premier conference in college football. Now, not so much.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If they just add OU and Texas then they should move Purdue to the East and now the divisions are very comparable for football.
Believe me, the BIG would not like Texas anywhere near them. They dominate everything they touch. KU brings in the Kansas City TV Market (the only Midwest Market in the Top 100 that has no Big10 University, Peerless Basketball, and are in a SERIOUS restart to Our Football Program. Bring Missouri in as the other member (St. Louis) and you have 2 AAU members that have long histories with Nebraska, Iowa, and Ilinois and the longest rivalry west of the Mississippi. And the Cultural fit is natural.

Believe me, the BIG would not like Texas anywhere near them. They dominate everything they touch. KU brings in the Kansas City TV Market (the only Midwest Market in the Top 100 that has no Big10 University, Peerless Basketball, and are in a SERIOUS restart to Our Football Program. Bring Missouri in as the other member (St. Louis) and you have 2 AAU members that have long histories with Nebraska, Iowa, and Ilinois and the longest rivalry west of the Mississippi. And the Cultural fit is natural.
Are you kidding? Texas? Hell, they got blown out by Maryland 2 years ago. At Texas. Then lost again last year.

They dominate everything they touch in the Big 12. Remember Nebraska? They used to dominate in the Big 12, too. In the Big Ten, not so much.

U of I is sitting out in cornfields, NW is not. Both IU and Purdue are sitting out in cornfields.

Btown is 45 miles from a major metro but is far from a "cornfield" location. Btown is nestled in a beautiful part of the country and is culturally rich and diverse. The culinary, music, theatre, lecture and diversity aspects are unmatched in the BIG.

NW is closer to Chitown but is isolated in the areas I name. OSU is near a bad part of Columbus which has little to offer on its best day. Hell, Campus eats had to drive 15 minutes from OSU for a location to use. Campus Eats could do an entire season in walking distance from IU campus.

Get out more and try again.

"Peerless Basketball"? Really? UNLV comes to mind.

NW is closer to Chitown but is isolated in the areas I name. OSU is near a bad part of Columbus which has little to offer on its best day. Hell, Campus eats had to drive 15 minutes from OSU for a location to use. Campus Eats could do an entire season in walking distance from IU campus.

Get out more and try again.

I live about 15 minutes from Campus in Hilliard and while I’m not a OSU fan, I am a fan of Columbus. Upper Arlington and Grandview surround campus, which are both fantastic areas. I enjoyed my time in Bloomington but it doesn’t offer anything close to what Columbus does. As far as being more culturally diverse, that is a very short sighted and extremely biased opinion.

OSU’s campus is extremely spread out and way too big, lacking a campus feel. I’ve never been a fan. The south side is probably the worst and also near Columbus St. The neighborhoods that surround Butler, IUPUI and UIndy are about the same as OSU.It’s a city, not a town, which is why I chose IU. Both are sellable features, it just depends on the person.

Are you kidding? Texas? Hell, they got blown out by Maryland 2 years ago. At Texas. Then lost again last year.

They dominate everything they touch in the Big 12. Remember Nebraska? They used to dominate in the Big 12, too. In the Big Ten, not so much.
When he says dominate he doesn't mean it like you think. Dominate means they try and take everything over. TV contracts, and everything in regards to that. They are douchebags. I liked the old Big 8 before the expansion. Once texas came on board they made it all about texas. Bring oklahoma in with kansas that would decimate the current big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT