ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Class Rankings

It's disappointing to see Maryland recruit better than us. It's as if we just went 5-7 instead of 8-4. I don't get it, I really don't.

I hope next year is an 8-10 win season and the recruiting trails are friendlier to TA.
I think we've sold almost guaranteed playing time right away in the past.

We can't really do that this year, because we have so many young starters back. I think that's why you see more players this year who expect to red-shirt. Seems we're going more for potential this year than immediate contributions.

Personally, I think that's a good thing. We'll see if it pays off in the future - it's always a crapshoot.

We should see better recruiting in 2020 due to the bowl game. The Gator Bowl will be the only game on that night, so football junkies will be tuning in. If we come out, play well, and look like a legit team, I think we'll draw some pretty good interest from recruits.

If we pull a Purdue vs Auburn, all bets are off.

I think we've sold almost guaranteed playing time right away in the past.

We can't really do that this year, because we have so many young starters back. I think that's why you see more players this year who expect to red-shirt. Seems we're going more for potential this year than immediate contributions.

Personally, I think that's a good thing. We'll see if it pays off in the future - it's always a crapshoot.

We should see better recruiting in 2020 due to the bowl game. The Gator Bowl will be the only game on that night, so football junkies will be tuning in. If we come out, play well, and look like a legit team, I think we'll draw some pretty good interest from recruits.

If we pull a Purdue vs Auburn, all bets are off.
I think you are putting to much value on the results of bowl games. The most important thing is to make one and have your team appear in the postseason plus you get the extra practices. The games are basically exhibitions and it sure would be nice to win ours but I think the impact to recruiting will be zero whether we win big or lose big or get something in the middle. Without looking can you even name the teams that played in 2 or 3 bowl games last year and who won? I can't remember but maybe it is just me and my old age. IU will benefit from playing in the Gator but that benefit won't be more or less no matter how the game ends.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think you are putting to much value on the results of bowl games. The most important thing is to make one and have your team appear in the postseason plus you get the extra practices. The games are basically exhibitions and it sure would be nice to win ours but I think the impact to recruiting will be zero whether we win big or lose big or get something in the middle. Without looking can you even name the teams that played in 2 or 3 bowl games last year and who won? I can't remember but maybe it is just me and my old age. IU will benefit from playing in the Gator but that benefit won't be more or less no matter how the game ends.

This is correct...especially now with an actual playoff in place.

The location/name of the bowl is what matters, not really the result.

I have had kids go all over the country on recruiting trips and once have I had one come back and say boy their schedule sucked I am not going there.

So your contention is that "good" players would rather play E Illinois in front of 20k in Bloomington, and win...

than (let's say) Texas, in front of 100k in Austin (with a return game), and "maybe" lose?

OK coach.

Recruits like playing in full stadiums. You don't get a full stadium, in September, in Bloomington, playing scrubs.

Of course, you don't pay to attend the games, so you obviously have little understanding of what the paying public wants.

Not only that, your contention that beating scrubs to inflate your record will result in improved recruiting has proven to be factually incorrect in the short term.

Recruits like playing in full stadiums. You don't get a full stadium, in September, in Bloomington, playing scrubs.

Of course, you don't pay to attend the games, so you obviously have little understanding of what the paying public wants.
Recruits like winning football and bowl appearances. We'll see clear evidence of that in our 2021 class.

P.S. We don't get a full stadium in November playing Michigan. As the winning continues, though, attendance will increase.
P.P.S. I pay to attend games.

Just texted a recent starter/captain for IU...

mattndallas - "Quick question...as a player, would you rather play E Illinois in a Sept non-conf in front of 20k in Btown, OR, let's say, a home and home at Tallahassee in front of 90k, knowing we would pack Memorial when they came up here the next year?"

player - "Home and home at Tallahassee no doubt. Not even close I hated playing the bad teams."

Reactions: bang63
Recruits like winning football and bowl appearances. We'll see clear evidence of that in our 2021 class.

P.S. We don't get a full stadium in November playing Michigan. As the winning continues, though, attendance will increase.
P.P.S. I pay to attend games.

Recruits like playing meaningful games in front of packed houses....win or lose.

They HATE playing shite teams in front of 20k...no matter how important "8 wins" in to fans.

Michigan was 34 and raining, with a north wind...on the Saturday after classes when they students have fled town.

Play them in September and October and it has always been close to full.

Reactions: Indianaftw
Just texted a recent starter/captain for IU...

mattndallas - "Quick question...as a player, would you rather play E Illinois in a Sept non-conf in front of 20k in Btown, OR, let's say, a home and home at Tallahassee in front of 90k, knowing we would pack Memorial when they came up here the next year?"

player - "Home and home at Tallahassee no doubt. Not even close I hated playing the bad teams."
You're presenting a false premise. We wouldn't pack MS for FSU.

Maybe the one guy you're quoting played for IU when we used to routinely get embarrassed by losing to bad teams.

You're presenting a false premise. We wouldn't pack MS for FSU.

Maybe the one guy you're quoting played for IU when we used to routinely get embarrassed by losing to bad teams.

Your contention we wouldn't pack MS against Florida State is based on what? We've never tried it. We roll in the same recycled MAC teams with an occasional ACC basketball school mixed in. If we're lucky we get Mizzou. Wow. Talk about fun. :rolleyes:

Kids want to play the best teams, period. I've now proven that.

Playing a shite schedule to inflate an 8-4 record without beating anyone doesn't "boost recruiting". This year has proven that.

And the kid I talked to was on last years team.

So what do we have to lose?

Last edited:
Your contention we wouldn't pack MS against Florida State is based on what? We've never tried it. We roll in the same recycled MAC teams with an occasional ACC basketball school mixed in. If we're lucky we get Mizzou. Wow. Talk about fun. :rolleyes:

Playing a shite schedule to inflate an 8-4 record without beating anyone doesn't "boost recruiting". This year has proven that.

You can have the last word because I know you will anyway, so I'll close with this. The way to build a football program is by consistently achieving a winning record and getting to bowl games. With nine conference games every year, it would be ludicrous to schedule OOC powerhouses while we're in building mode.

You can have the last word because I know you will anyway, so I'll close with this. The way to build a football program is by consistently achieving a winning record and getting to bowl games. With nine conference games every year, it would be ludicrous to schedule OOC powerhouses while we're in building mode.

And I'll counter with this...

Dumbing down the schedule to create the illusion of "building a winning program" only convinces the ignorant.

Players and hardcore fans can tell the difference.

Thus our uninspired attendance, and now recruiting this year, despite going 8-4.

Play a respectable OOC.

Beat a team with a winning record.

THAT moves the attendance needle....which then in turn will move the recruiting needle.

Playing patsies wastes time, effort, money...and has proven (at best) to keep the product stagnant.

No one cares. No one comes....fans or recruits.

Reactions: bang63
If we're lucky we get Mizzou. Wow. Talk about fun.
But from a realistic perspective, what’s wrong with a Mizzou or Kentucky type for us IU or Purdue fans? Throw in K-State, OK State, or a top tier PAC-12 team since imo those teams are all around the same skill level and you have a game that if you lose, at least it was marquee and drew interest, was probably competitive etc. If you win you get some national publicity since it’s non-con P5 stuff.

Dumbing down the schedule to create the illusion of "building a winning program" only convinces the ignorant.

Thus our uninspired attendance, and now recruiting this year, despite going 8-4.

Play a respectable OOC.

THAT moves the attendance needle....which then in turn will move the recruiting needle.

Playing patsies wastes time, effort, money...and has proven (at best) to keep the product stagnant.

You have to crawl before you can walk. 8-4, possibly 9-4, and a January Bowl are good steps in the right direction.

Have you looked at our OOC schedule for the next four years? We play Cincy and UL. Recently we played Virginia and Wake Forest.

You sound like we play three FCS teams every year. We schedule like everyone else - one decent OOC P5, a MAC and then a team we can get at home. Pretty much the same approach as everyone else in the B1G.

Do you seriously expect us to play 3 P5 teams for OOC each year? Show me one team that does that.

Play a respectable OOC.

I don’t know how long you’ve followed IU but we have tried the exact strategy you mention with zero impact. Zero. Not on attendance nor recruiting. Nothing, zilch, nada.

Corso did it for years. I was there. We played LSU, USC, Colorado, Nebraska. I think we beat LSU one year at home. NC State, Utah, North Carolina. We didn’t get any better recruits and the crowds weren’t at the football game, they were over at basketball practice.

Just the last 4 years we’ve played Virginia and Wake Forest and they both have been to bowls. We played an FIU team that ended up something like 8-4. We played Mizzou.

I don’t think you understand. You overestimate our fans. They are not showing up for a home and home drubbing by Alabama any more than they will for a MAC school. Just sin’t happening because our fan base is terrible.

Oh, you can bet your sweet ass that fans will show up down south to watch their team play Wofford or The Citadel. They do all the time.

So your contention is that "good" players would rather play E Illinois in front of 20k in Bloomington, and win...

than (let's say) Texas, in front of 100k in Austin (with a return game), and "maybe" lose?

OK coach.

Not only that, your contention that beating scrubs to inflate your record will result in improved recruiting has proven to be factually incorrect in the short term.
You also don’t get full stadiums in November playing Penn State. Stop pretending that the schedule is the reason why people do not attend IU football games. This year is prime example it is not true. We played Ohio State early and stadium was was not full. We played penn state in November and still not full. Pleease explain that to me.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I don’t know how long you’ve followed IU but we have tried the exact strategy you mention with zero impact. Zero. Not on attendance nor recruiting. Nothing, zilch, nada.

Corso did it for years. I was there. We played LSU, USC, Colorado, Nebraska. I think we beat LSU one year at home. NC State, Utah, North Carolina. We didn’t get any better recruits and the crowds weren’t at the football game, they were over at basketball practice.

Just the last 4 years we’ve played Virginia and Wake Forest and they both have been to bowls. We played an FIU team that ended up something like 8-4. We played Mizzou.

I don’t think you understand. You overestimate our fans. They are not showing up for a home and home drubbing by Alabama any more than they will for a MAC school. Just sin’t happening because our fan base is terrible.

Oh, you can bet your sweet ass that fans will show up down south to watch their team play Wofford or The Citadel. They do all the time.
I think their a base of fans that are awesome and will go to games no matter who you play or where you play or what the weather is and that is it. Playing better will not change anything.

OK coach.

Playing scrubs worked for Louisville and it worked for Kansas State. Bill Snyder talked about in an article in Coach magazine several years ago.

You also don’t get full stadiums in November playing Penn State. Stop pretending that the schedule is the reason why people do not attend IU football games. This year is prime example it is not true. We played Ohio State early and stadium was was not full. We played penn state in November and still not full. Pleease explain that to me.
PSU was not a home game this year but UM was.

Matt although you make good points, you that this year is reflected by last season as recruits committed before this season. Look at 2021 season and see how this season attracts recruiting to see if your hypothesis is correct.

Do you think the coaches don't remind recruits what bowls they played in and who won?

So going 8-4 while playing patsy OOC doesn't lead to improved recruiting results?
We play OSU, Penn St, Michigan, and MSU every year. Plus in a 4 year span crossover with Iowa and Wisconsin x2. Only an idiot would schedule a challenging 3 game ooc schedule when trying to build a program.

Plus if I remember correctly, the UCONN game was scheduled years ago when they were a perennial bowl team. We have ooc contracts set with Cincinnati and Louisville in the coming years.

There are valid reasons to bitch but not about scheduling 3 wins. The SEC still plays 4 ooc games and 3 of those are vs little sisters of the poor.

We should play 3 weak teams in OOC every year. We need to be guaranteeing ourselves bowl games. Kentucky plays in a weaker division than we do, and has 4 OOC games and still plays a bunch of patsies. It’s all about having 7-9 win seasons every year and that will get fans to start coming out and watching us play.

Maybe this sounds pollyanish but the fewer mistakes we make re penalties and turnovers will lead to closer games w a better chance to win. Smart players w good technique can make up, somewhat, for lack of skill and strength.

Reactions: bang63 and Jssanto
We should play 3 weak teams in OOC every year. We need to be guaranteeing ourselves bowl games. Kentucky plays in a weaker division than we do, and has 4 OOC games and still plays a bunch of patsies. It’s all about having 7-9 win seasons every year and that will get fans to start coming out and watching us play.
AMEN! Indiana can have 7-9 win seasons but only if they schedule correctly. If things break right, they would occasionally have a 10 win season.

To win against good teams you have to actually play good teams.

We need every opportunity we can to beat a good team.

Playing patsies to get 8 wins....nobody cares....we didn't play/beat anyone. No one shows up for Michigan in November because we didn't beat anybody.

Unlike you guys, fans that pay to show up want to see wins over quality opponents....not 3 wasted weekends in a quest for a Detroit Bowl.

Players feel the same.

Playing patsies to get 8 wins....nobody cares....we didn't play/beat anyone. No one shows up for Michigan in November because we didn't beat anybody.

Unlike you guys, fans that pay to show up want to see wins over quality opponents....not 3 wasted weekends in a quest for a Detroit Bowl.

Players feel the same.
I bet you also believe piss is stored in the balls.

Players feel the same.
There is some truth here as a school needs 6 wins to reach the money of a bowl game.
Playing a tougher schedule may make you reach a better (I.e. more money) bowl, but also could make you miss bowls entirely.
Maybe the answer is both? Once you can win 6-7 every year, you add the tough non con game to progress to that better bowl.

There is some truth here as a school needs 6 wins to reach the money of a bowl game.
Playing a tougher schedule may make you reach a better (I.e. more money) bowl, but also could make you miss bowls entirely.
Maybe the answer is both? Once you can win 6-7 every year, you add the tough non con game to progress to that better bowl.

Teams split bowl money if I'm not mistaken. Wins get you a better bowl game. Money has nothing to do with it since all bowl money is split evenly between conference teams.

Players feel the same.

Maybe it's the 12 bowl games in our entire history of our program as to why we really don't have fan support.

We schedule YEARS in advance. This isn't like basketball where we schedule year to year. We've already got something the 2023 non-conference done if memory is correct.

We're doing it the right way. Play one lower to mid p5 school, then two schools that we should handle pretty easily . We've got Louisville and Cincinnati coming up in future years. They're not bad programs.

My answer to the scheduling question is this:

Exactly where we are now..., 8-4 with a reasonable shot at 9 wins; Big Time Bowl game located in a fertile recruiting area; extra practice time (that basically gives us another Spring Practice) and being in the sole game televised on Jan.2nd for national recruiting exposure...

If you're willing to throw all that away (Gator Bowl, shot at 9 W's, extra practice time, national recruiting exposure)..., because you'd rather feel more entertained (most likely for only 1 Half..., because we all know you'd give up and bolt if we're not in your own personal "sweet spot" score-wise), you aren't much of a "fan" in my book and I don't feel as though the Athletic Department should be concerned about your views in any way whatsoever in regards to scheduling.

Last edited:
Michigan was 34 and raining, with a north wind...on the Saturday after classes when they students have fled town.
No one shows up for Michigan in November because we didn't beat anybody.
So last week you argued we had less than a sellout for Michigan because of weather and the academic calendar. Now you've pivoted to our schedule as the reason. Make up your mind, guy.

We're going to have a big crowd next week for a bowl game in Florida. It'll probably end up being in the Top 10, in terms of attendance, of the 40 bowl games.

We won 8 games this season and, contrary to your assertion, people do care. Why not stop being a scrooge. Go Hoosiers, and Merry Christmas!

If you want crowds you need sustained seasons of success. Check the crowds from the early 2000’s to now. We’ve gained probably 10k average attendance in 20 years and we’ve generally improved only a little until this year. It’s just gonna take time. A lot of time. We had the crowds in the 90’s and we had sustained success.

Players feel the same.
How many players have actually told you that? One although many might say it but not sure how many actually believe it? Yeah when I was playing I would tell you I would like to play big time competition but given the choice o would rather win.
How do you think the players feel about being 8-4, playing January 2 in Florida and being the only game on? I doubt that they are saying damn I wish we could have played Oklahoma, Clemson and LSU.

Still say talent trumps most of the time and can make coaches look really smart, but in college FB, a few really talented players can really be game changers. I absolutely think Penix has the potential to be a game changer at QB if he puts on strength and can stay healthy. The way he lit up MSU was beautiful to watch. Add the size we are adding to the OL (and hopefully with Cronk OL returning) and the 2 RB's who've shown they can do it in B10 games, and Whop/Pendershot & other WR talent. The offense can potentially beat I'd say anyone except (until proven otherwise) OSU in the B10. (I believe we will get another good OC hire ahead.)

It's the Defense that seems to have to catch up next year. Like the Auburn recruit we got, fingers crossed on the 6'7 AZ DE, and want to believe the young and athletic DB's can start looking more like Mullen. And same with LB's. But let's not forget watching if our DC Womack can show growth too.

We have more depth than we've ever had as a team - depth that are truly B10 caliber players, not MAC like. The size is more comparable to the top tier B10 schools now (see 300lb+ OL across the board).

Yes, we do need to keep adding the 4-star wins I agree, but think when we sprinkle in even the 4-stars we are getting with the almost 100% 3-star classes we are recruiting now, with size and/or speed, and able to redshirt a lot of them. Those are the ways IU can actually start competing and winning more in the B10, as the Penix, Mullen, and handful of other 4-star talents can do their thing and have a lot of other players come in to contribute and not be gassed like the IU days of old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT