ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Class Rankings

Yeah, I don't get it. 3 teams in the upper half of recruiting in the B1G that didn't make a bowl. We go 8-4, and we can't convince any late Signess. Something doesn't add up. Locksley gets a 5* on signing day?? Come on.

Whatever could Lock$ley offer recruit$?

If you look at commitment dates the vast majority of players commit before the first game of the season. O$U had only 4 additional commits after July, Michigan only 2. Purdue and IU 2/3 of their classes committed before the first game of 2019.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and 76-1
Yeah, I don't get it. 3 teams in the upper half of recruiting in the B1G that didn't make a bowl. We go 8-4, and we can't convince any late Signess. Something doesn't add up. Locksley gets a 5* on signing day?? Come on.

Locksley can always recruit the D.C area. Always has.

Now, can he coach?

We were never going to compete with a lot of other schools in the B1G this class as far ranking because we don't have schollies available, we're outnumbered. Seems like certain schools always have 26, 27 player classes. They don't, but it sure seems that way.

They've always done well in the metropolitan area, & the rest of Maryland. & it's an area that's always had a high concentration of big time talent, therefore they pretty regularly land top 100 players at Maryland, even when they seemingly shouldn't. This has been happening for decades...they just have a nice natural recruiting reservoir. They've also done little with that top 100 talent, pretty regularly...for decades.

It's disappointing to see Maryland recruit better than us. It's as if we just went 5-7 instead of 8-4. I don't get it, I really don't.

I hope next year is an 8-10 win season and the recruiting trails are friendlier to TA.

We were never going to compete with a lot of other schools in the B1G this class as far ranking because we don't have schollies available, we're outnumbered. Seems like certain schools always have 26, 27 player classes. They don't, but it sure seems that way.
Only the top 20 signees count. The others get left off.

Right, but you still improve your ranking if each successive player past 20 bumps a lower ranked one...
That's true whether you have 26 or 18 scholarships. The lower ranked ones don't get one, only the best.

Here’s the thing. Indiana doesnt produce a ton of good recruiting prospects. And the ones that are here aren’t likely to be IU fans. Very few kids in Indiana these days are Indiana fans. Indiana isn’t relevant in either of the sports that these kids actually watch. It’s a fact of life.

So going 8-4 while playing patsy OOC doesn't lead to improved recruiting results?

I’ll admit that our OCC was light but thiis notion that other teams are playing some gauntlet is just some distortion that people use to fit their own narrative.

Purdue played essentially nobody. Two teams that didn’t make bowls and one team from a Group of 5 conference that was ranked 125 pre-season.

Ohio State played one solid team, Cincinnati.

Minnesota played 3 weak teams.

Is it IU’s fault that Purdue was a weakling this year? I guess lump them in with the cream puffs we played as well.

I’ll admit that our OCC was light but thiis notion that other teams are playing some gauntlet is just some distortion that people use to fit their own narrative.

Purdue played essentially nobody. Two teams that didn’t make bowls and one team from a Group of 5 conference that was ranked 125 pre-season.

Ohio State played one solid team, Cincinnati.

Minnesota played 3 weak teams.

Is it IU’s fault that Purdue was a weakling this year? I guess lump them in with the cream puffs we played as well.
Purdue's OOC was definitely harder than IUs, though 2 of the teams were still below average (Vandy and Nevada). Minnesota won the west and 2 more games than IU (even though their conference schedule was extremely easy too), and their recruits are pretty equal to IUs (one 4* each), Minny just has more.

UMd has a 4 star home recruiting base area.

IU has a 2 star home base, if that. geography is not our friend.

Rutgers has a 4 star base as well.

I think coach ability and ceiling are important. Hopefully that is our guys. I did note the OL guys were big and we had a 6’3” WR.

Indiana is probably always going to be a developmental program, and that's ok. Iowa has been a developmental program for decades and they typically fashion a 7-8 win season together with the occasional 10 win season. Wisconsin is certainly a developmental program and they seem to win a boatload of games.

Now that said, Indiana MUST do better on the trails of recruiting. To compete favorably in the East division, they truly need to sign 3-4 4* recruits every class.

Indiana is probably always going to be a developmental program, and that's ok. Iowa has been a developmental program for decades and they typically fashion a 7-8 win season together with the occasional 10 win season. Wisconsin is certainly a developmental program and they seem to win a boatload of games.

Now that said, Indiana MUST do better on the trails of recruiting. To compete favorably in the East division, they truly need to sign 3-4 4* recruits every class.

You know where these other schools really gain the advantage?
It’s recruiting the. 4 star linemen on both sides of the ball are the big difference. There are actually skill guys in every conference but the linemen and LBs make the biggest impact.

Reactions: SixthFlagComing
DC-area HS coaches love Locksley. He will sign some of that DC talent in the next few years. Can he do it above board without running into NCAA trouble and developing it will be the questions.

Recruiting-wise for IU in 2020, here's hoping our 2019 on the field results resonates with recruits and their families. Spring and summer recruiting momentum, when most commitments happen, must be better in 2020.

Reactions: jb17
UMd has a 4 star home recruiting base area.

IU has a 2 star home base, if that. geography is not our friend.

Rutgers has a 4 star base as well.
Part of the problem at Under Armour University-College Park is that while swag attracts some talented players, it doesn't necessarily attract players with character. Linemen (and most linebackers) are used to not getting glory. They are guys who understand the importance of team over self. They are the heart and soul of every winning program. They want to be at a place that promises to develop them athletically and academically, not just some place with a lot of swag hanging in a glamorous locker room.

Maryland's ranking is always inflated by high-star skill guys who in my opinion, are a dime a dozen. Maryland has no more success recruiting linemen that we do, and in all honesty, is less successful than we are. It's no secret that this is where Wisconsin and Iowa climb over everyone else in the B1G with the exception of the Big 3 (who get 4 and 5 star talent at every position).

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

With roughly 80% of our starters being freshmen and sophomores, we only have a limited number of scholarships to offer. It seems as though we went heavy with OL, which seemed to be a need. CTA mentioned still trying to land a rush end and the best offensive player available with February signings. My point is, I don't think we can get too bent out of shape with this class. Let them get to campus and develop with the strength staff.

For the first time in 25 years, the future of IUFB is trending up!

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

With roughly 80% of our starters being freshmen and sophomores, we only have a limited number of scholarships to offer. It seems as though we went heavy with OL, which seemed to be a need. CTA mentioned still trying to land a rush end and the best offensive player available with February signings. My point is, I don't think we can get too bent out of shape with this class. Let them get to campus and develop with the strength staff.

For the first time in 25 years, the future of IUFB is trending up!
Nice first post and welcome. It can be addictive. Huge Grin! Go Hoosiers!

So going 8-4 while playing patsy OOC doesn't lead to improved recruiting results?
It should!

Conversely, how does back to back
IU has a lot of young quality players blocking early PT. Also a smaller class but still short a couple of 4*
I'd also like to stack talent on top of talent and make them compete. I don't want the mentality to be "oh IU has young talent, don't want to go there". I want it to be "yeah IU has young talent, but I am more talented and will out-work and out-grit them because I want to play/start or CTA and IU.

I want CTA to create a program where he constantly over-recruits his best players year after year.

It should!

Conversely, how does back to back

I'd also like to stack talent on top of talent and make them compete. I don't want the mentality to be "oh IU has young talent, don't want to go there". I want it to be "yeah IU has young talent, but I am more talented and will out-work and out-grit them because I want to play/start or CTA and IU.

I want CTA to create a program where he constantly over-recruits his best players year after year.

They will get there. This class is about OL and depth.

DC-area HS coaches love Locksley. He will sign some of that DC talent in the next few years. Can he do it above board without running into NCAA trouble and developing it will be the questions.

Recruiting-wise for IU in 2020, here's hoping our 2019 on the field results resonates with recruits and their families. Spring and summer recruiting momentum, when most commitments happen, must be better in 2020.
i'm not the least bit worried about maryland as long as locksley's in charge. i could say the same thing about turgeon. lets hope the folks in college park never wake up.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Tradition

Hmmmm.....not working out for basketball recruiting.

Oregon stunk, absolutely stunk for years in football until about 2000.
They don’t have a long term “tradition” like some of these other schools but they certainly have made huge commitments to football and reel in the recruits left and right.

What do recruits want? Facility? Number of TV games? Warm weather?

Everyone is on TV and facilities probably aren’t as big as deal as most make it out to be. In my opinion it’s about how they can make it to the NFL. Who have you sent? Who’s your position coach and his resume?

I have had kids go all over the country on recruiting trips and once have I had one come back and say boy their schedule sucked I am not going there.

The number # 1 factor in recruiting is almost always relationships, largely those built by the assistant coaches and “showing the love.”

Reactions: hometownfan
The number # 1 factor in recruiting is almost always relationships, largely those built by the assistant coaches and “showing the love.”
One thing I always told my kids was to always talk to other players who play their position and ask them what they thought of the position coach. Don’t worry about head coach as much since you will spend majority time with position coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT