ADVERTISEMENT

B1G bowl line up . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . 10 teams playing . . . I see 2-8 entirely possible given the match ups listed, with O$U and Wisconsin the only teams I see as likely winners . . .

. . . that's assuming that GA Tech has Paul Johnson coaching one last game, against Minnesota, before he retires for good. If GA Tech has an interim coach, then that's a wildcard that I can't predict about . . .

. . . and another team I might be missing on is Michigan . . . I don't trust Harbaugh to win big games, at least not yet. So I'm giving Florida the nod in the Peach Bowl. Might have to get tickets to see that.

http://btn.com/2018-2019-college-football-bowl-games/

Reactions: 76-1
I think the B1G will do very well. It makes me want to hurl that we could have played Auburn in Nashville if we had beaten Purdue - or Minnesota.

Yes, I don't see the Big Ten doing that bad.

The BT overreaches every year on it's bowl match-ups. But when the top team doesn't make the playoffs, it improves the match-up for everyone else down the line. One team that might not show up--Wisconsin, after such a disappointing year. I wonder whether all of their OL will play, as 4 are projected as high NFL draft choices. On the other hand, Wisconsin, Iowa & NW typically show up for their bowl games. There have many occasions when I was sure they'd get killed, and they made the game close or even won. We shall see.

I think the B1G will do very well. It makes me want to hurl that we could have played Auburn in Nashville if we had beaten Purdue - or Minnesota.

Nashville would have been perfect for IU fans. Missed opportunity.

Reactions: td75
10 Big Ten teams still playing and practicing every day, and we’re not one of them. Pathetic. The schedule will never be easier. It’s just really aggravating.
There isn't another Power 5 opponent on the out of conference schedule until Louisville in 2023. There'll be some opportunities to go to a bowl.

Not sure we'd have landed in Nashville. Looks like the Boilees somehow surpassed a couple teams in the pecking order to get the Music City Bowl. That's a better destination than Detroit, NYC, or San Fran. No expensive flight to the west coast and no freezing in Skankee Stadium. I think we'd have gotten Detroit, which would've been great, in my opinion. Detroit gets a bad rap but downtown has gotten better. I'm a Detroit sports fan and have been to lots of Tigers games plus a couple Lions and Red Wings games. Things are better down there than they used to be. Nashville is the best of those four though.

Reactions: ESalum86
One team that might not show up--Wisconsin, after such a disappointing year. I wonder whether all of their OL will play, as 4 are projected as high NFL draft choices.
True, but they are playing Miami, which had almost just as much of a disappointing year. Both started the season in the top 10 in the rankings. Frankly, it's going to be a battle of "who want's it...less?"

Not sure we'd have landed in Nashville. Looks like the Boilees somehow surpassed a couple teams in the pecking order to get the Music City Bowl. That's a better destination than Detroit, NYC, or San Fran. No expensive flight to the west coast and no freezing in Skankee Stadium. I think we'd have gotten Detroit, which would've been great, in my opinion. Detroit gets a bad rap but downtown has gotten better. I'm a Detroit sports fan and have been to lots of Tigers games plus a couple Lions and Red Wings games. Things are better down there than they used to be. Nashville is the best of those four though.
It was the Brohm affect, it was reported on the Purdue forum that one of the organizers of the Music City bowl is a Trinity alum and friend of the Brohm family.

Reactions: IUFan_FWA
Iowa under Kerentz is 3-4 vs SEC teams. they will do better than most think. MSU is in the SEC so they will get the hype.

Iowa still has a top 10 team in Defense. plus the sacks Iowa is tied for 1st in the FBS.

Reactions: ESalum86
Iowa under Kerentz is 3-4 vs SEC teams. they will do better than most think. MSU is in the SEC so they will get the hype.

Iowa still has a top 10 team in Defense. plus the sacks Iowa is tied for 1st in the FBS.
Iowa has lost 5 of their last 6 bowl games getting smoked in most of them. They benefit from a weak schedule and are usually matched up with a far superior team. I don’t expect this year to be any different.

Iowa has lost 5 of their last 6 bowl games getting smoked in most of them. They benefit from a weak schedule and are usually matched up with a far superior team. I don’t expect this year to be any different.
in the Orange Bowl they beat the ACC Champion GT. this years team has more talent that those teams that lost 5 in a row. before the lost those 5 straight Iowa was 6-3 with wins over Florida, LSU the year after LSU won the NC
until the 2013 recruiting class their class rankings avg'd 45.7 not exactly top 10 classes that result in 10-11 wins and constant bowl wins. the class ranking since KF started to over haul his staff
2013 53rd
2014 59th
2015 58th
then after that 12-2 season in 2015 and the new staff started to recruit together
2016 42nd 8 true FR played that was the year where Iowa beat OSU 55-31
2017 40th 10 true FR Played and/or started they Beat Michigan for the 5th time in the last 6 meeting
2018 40th by Rivals and 39th by 247 6 true FR played and/or started

the 2019 class with just 16 commits is rated 42nd by Rivals, 37th by 247 and 31st by ESPN

on defense MSU and Iowa are real close, Iowa is tied for 1st in the FBS in total sacks with DE Epenesa and DE Anthony Nelson are tied for 8th in sacks with 10 each.

and other than TE Fant who is skipping the bowl game Iowa is returning the Mackey Award winner for the best TE in FBS a couple 1st Team all BT and a couple 2nd team All BT. plus a couple AA's.

in the Orange Bowl they beat the ACC Champion GT. this years team has more talent that those teams that lost 5 in a row. before the lost those 5 straight Iowa was 6-3 with wins over Florida, LSU the year after LSU won the NC
until the 2013 recruiting class their class rankings avg'd 45.7 not exactly top 10 classes that result in 10-11 wins and constant bowl wins. the class ranking since KF started to over haul his staff
2013 53rd
2014 59th
2015 58th
then after that 12-2 season in 2015 and the new staff started to recruit together
2016 42nd 8 true FR played that was the year where Iowa beat OSU 55-31
2017 40th 10 true FR Played and/or started they Beat Michigan for the 5th time in the last 6 meeting
2018 40th by Rivals and 39th by 247 6 true FR played and/or started

the 2019 class with just 16 commits is rated 42nd by Rivals, 37th by 247 and 31st by ESPN

on defense MSU and Iowa are real close, Iowa is tied for 1st in the FBS in total sacks with DE Epenesa and DE Anthony Nelson are tied for 8th in sacks with 10 each.

and other than TE Fant who is skipping the bowl game Iowa is returning the Mackey Award winner for the best TE in FBS a couple 1st Team all BT and a couple 2nd team All BT. plus a couple AA's.
Your post speaks to how Ferentz can squeeze a ridiculous amount of wins out of his roster. He's is NOT signing top 25 classes and is able to do lots of damage.

Indiana is at the other end of that spectrum. While your recruiting is a smidge better than ours, we don't come close to maxing out our wins. Kevin Wilson and his gang were notorious for leaving wins on the field. You folks have not had to live through that with Ferentz.

I'm hoping Tom Allen can eventually maximize the roster and win 7 games per year plus win the bowl game. If Delany decides to blow up the divisions, that would probably help us and hurt you.

it would depend on how they are realigned, to me they can put Purdue in the East and move MSU to the West. Delany will never seperate Michigan and OSU up, but if they did they can put Michigan in the West and it would not hurt my feelings one bit.

KF is 7-5 vs Michigan in his 20 years. one thing is with his new staff now complete the recruiting is getting better
3 US Army AA game member
1 AA game member in the last 3 classes.
4* QB in the 2018 class and a 4* QB committed in the 2020 class, it begins in the trenches then it goes thru the QB's for the skill players.

but it is looking pretty good for you guys.

. . . 10 teams playing . . . I see 2-8 entirely possible given the match ups listed, with O$U and Wisconsin the only teams I see as likely winners . . .

. . . that's assuming that GA Tech has Paul Johnson coaching one last game, against Minnesota, before he retires for good. If GA Tech has an interim coach, then that's a wildcard that I can't predict about . . .

. . . and another team I might be missing on is Michigan . . . I don't trust Harbaugh to win big games, at least not yet. So I'm giving Florida the nod in the Peach Bowl. Might have to get tickets to see that.

http://btn.com/2018-2019-college-football-bowl-games/

I check out the other Big Ten team's fan forums from time to time, and it's always interesting to see their take on the status of the programs and the year they had. I think a lot of BT teams had disappointing years, frankly. Here's my take of what an average fan for each program might be saying:

1. OSU---"I can't bitch about losing only 1 game, but I hoped we'd be in the playoffs. Our D was never very good, and losing Bosa hurt".
2. Michigan---"Man, I'm disappointed in Harbaugh. I thought it would be between us and OSU every year for the BT championship. We're just not very good. The D looked great all year, except when we needed them against ND & OSU. Maybe we'd be better off if Harbaugh left for the pros".
3. PSU---"We missed our TB, WR, & TE studs more than we thought we would. McSorley likes to throw those long jump balls, and we just didn't have the guys to catch them this year. The young guys looked promising but didn't quite measure up. I really like McSorley, but I'm glad he's gone now. And I hate how Franklin chokes away the close home games".
4. MSU---"I can't believe the OL was that bad, and how bad Lewerke played. It's too bad cause the D really played their asses off".
5. Maryland---"I'm just glad we made it through that year. We're going to suck for at least a couple of years. The new guy can recruit. I hope he's a better game coach then when he was at New Mexico. At least we'll beat Indiana."
6. Rutgers---"Ash is a moron, but we don't have enough $ to buy him out. We literally have the worst offense in the country. Maybe we can beat Indiana".

1. Wisconsin---"I told you Hornibrook sucked, and that Miami game last year was just a fluke. I feel bad for our OL having to block for that stiff. I don't know why we thought our D would be as good as last year. That was dumb".
2. Northwestern---"Man, Fitz was amazing this year, but how did we lose those first 3 NC games?"
3. Purdue---"Man, Brohm can coach, but how did we lose those first 3 games?"
4. Iowa---"We had a better team than I thought we'd have, but we should have beaten Purdue & PSU. and won the Division. We blew it. Now go feed the pigs".
5. Illinois---"They gave Lovie an EXTENSION? Shit, we'll never have a football team".
6. Minnesota--"This year was ok, but wait till next year. I just hope Fleck doesn't leave as soon as we get good. He wouldn't do that, would he?"
7. Nebraska---"I'm telling you, Frost's the man. We're going to start dominating this Division in a couple of years. With Meyer gone, we'll win the BT in 3 years".

Last edited:
Reactions: fpeaugh
Nebraska has the most delusional fan base in the BT.
Iowa finished where most of the pundits said they would, a couple had them finishing at 6-6 to 7-5. can't say much about the other teams.

I check out the other Big Ten team's fan forums from time to time, and it's always interesting to see their take on the status of the programs and the year they had. I think a lot of BT teams had disappointing years, frankly. Here's my take of what an average fan for each program might be saying:

1. OSU---"I can't bitch about losing only 1 game, but I hoped we'd be in the playoffs. Our D was never very good, and losing Bosa hurt".
2. Michigan---"Man, I'm disappointed in Harbaugh. I thought it would be between us and OSU every year for the BT championship. We're just not very good. The D looked great all year, except when we needed them against ND & OSU. Maybe we'd be better off if Harbaugh left for the pros".
3. PSU---"We missed our TB, WR, & TE studs more than we thought we would. McSorley likes to throw those long jump balls, and we just didn't have the guys to catch them this year. The young guys looked promising but didn't quite measure up. I really like McSorley, but I'm glad he's gone now. And I hate how Franklin chokes away the close home games".
4. MSU---"I can't believe the OL was that bad, and how bad Lewerke played. It's too bad cause the D really played their asses off'.
5. Maryland---"I'm just glad we made it through that year. We're going to suck for at least a couple of years. The new guy can recruit. I hope he's a better game coach then when he was at New Mexico. At least we'll beat Indiana."
6. Rutgers---"Ash is a moron, but we don't have enough $ to but him out. We literally have the worst offense in the country. Maybe we can beat Indiana".

1. Wisconsin---"I told you Hornibrook sucked, and that Miami game last year was just a fluke. I feel bad for our OL having to block for that stiff. I don't know why we thought our D would be as good as last year. That was dumb".
2. Northwestern---"Man, Fitz was amazing this year, but how did we lose those first 3 NC games?"
3. Purdue---"Man, Brohm can coach, but how did we lose those first 3 games?"
4. Iowa---"We had a better team than I thought we'd have, but we should have beaten Purdue & PSU. and won the Division. We blew it. Now go feed the pigs".
5. Illinois---"They gave Lovie an EXTENSION? Shit, we'll never have a football team".
6. Minnesota--"This year was ok, but wait till next year. I just hope Fleck doesn't leave as soon as we get good. He wouldn't do that, would he?"
7. Nebraska---"I'm telling you, Frost's the man. We're going to start dominating this Division in a couple of years. With Meyer gone, we'll win the BT in 3 years".
You left off IU....too many curse words?

Reactions: IUFan_FWA and td75
You left off IU....too many curse words?

I've already got enough adversaries on here.

It's like when a priest went to see Voltaire on his deathbed, and asked him to renounce Satan. Voltaire replied "this is no time to be making enemies".

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT