ADVERTISEMENT

Awesome tracker re: voting totals (in real-time)

Careful how you interpret that particular chart. There is a spike in the 400+ area, but that doesn't mean those results are the "most likely" in any meaningful sense. It just means that they are slightly more likely than any other particular individual number. That is, 415 might be a more likely result than 344, but it doesn't mean that 400+ is more likely than 350 or fewer.
I know. I'm not putting anything more into it than what it actually represents. It's like the mode of any distribution. But it's still a delicious possibility, and not an outlandish one.

I know. I'm not putting anything more into it than what it actually represents. It's like the mode of any distribution. But it's still a delicious possibility, and not an outlandish one.

History shows that it is more likely the swing states move in one direction instead of splitting between candidates, so the steadiness of the polls would indicate NC, GA, AZ, FL, and IA going to Biden. That's a big-time wave. The upper midwest is already in Biden's camp.

According to MSNBC Texas has already received over 80% of the total turnout in 2016.
Per NYT, 64% of Democrats in Texas have already voted, along with 51% of Republicans and 43% of Independents. Trump leads 47-43 on their topline, but those underlying numbers mean that Trump needs those Independents (many of whom are actually Republican leaners) to get out there and vote.

Per NYT, 64% of Democrats in Texas have already voted, along with 51% of Republicans and 43% of Independents. Trump leads 47-43 on their topline, but those underlying numbers mean that Trump needs those Independents (many of whom are actually Republican leaners) to get out there and vote.
If my math is right, using those percentages with 80%, if they split the independent mail-ins, Trump has to win 86.8% of the remaining 20%. Obviously there will be more votes total, but my take is Biden’s got Texas in the bag.

If my math is right, using those percentages with 80%, if they split the independent mail-ins, Trump has to win 86.8% of the remaining 20%. Obviously there will be more votes total, but my take is Biden’s got Texas in the bag.
I think you might be splitting those independents incorrectly. In most states, "independent" is code for "probably Republican."

I think you might be splitting those independents incorrectly. In most states, "independent" is code for "probably Republican."
I’m not splitting independents according to prediction, just 50-50 for the sake of the math. Do you have any 538 or other prediction on them? We can do the math on that. Or your guestimate.

I’m not splitting independents according to prediction, just 50-50 for the sake of the math. Do you have any 538 or other prediction on them? We can do the math on that. Or your guestimate.
No, unfortunately, I don't. I just know from previous reading that independents are more likely to be secret Republicans than secret Democrats, and I suspect that to be even more likely in the current climate where people don't want to admit supporting Trump. But that suspicion is obviously worth nothing, so take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find.

Just re-read this. Forget my numbers. To do any math one has to know how many registered A, B, and C.

I understand that early voting numbers this year may not tell us a lot, but I have to believe there is some information in there. A state like Texas, where we might see the electorate grow 25-33%, seems to be significant. Also, the great increase in younger voters is a big deal.

I understand what you are saying about independents in general, but hasn’t polling this cycle consistently shown Biden with a large edge over these voters? Biden will win independents right?
I don’t think Biden would last two years and you would have the giggler for the remainder of his term! Independents would take this into consideration.

Independents would take this into consideration.
I think you are confusing "independents" with "informed independents".

Sadly, probably about 75% of people who are considered independents are either:

A) People who have never voted before and therefore don't have a party affiliation yet. (AKA young voters who are likely incredibly naïve)
B) People who are completely uninformed about politics and only vote out of a belief of civic duty.
C) People who think they are informed but are really just easily swayed one way or the other based upon their Facebook feed.

I understand that early voting numbers this year may not tell us a lot, but I have to believe there is some information in there. A state like Texas, where we might see the electorate grow 25-33%, seems to be significant. Also, the great increase in younger voters is a big deal.

The numbers I saw as of yesterday for Texas, voting totals had already reached 90% of total votes cast in 2016. We shall wait and see how much of this is new vote vs just pushing the same vote early.... but that's a pretty amazing number.

Let's also be clear that basically every Federal election held since 2016 has seen a sizable shift towards Democrats.

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

The moral is either "don't drag me down in the state where you've NEVER been elected", or "don't shy away from voicing your support of me when you're asked about it point blank in a debate." Or maybe "I'm just an asshole, and this is how I act when I know I'm about to get my butt kicked"...

Can I vote that all 3 are true?? ;)

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

The moral is either "don't drag me down in the state where you've NEVER been elected", or "don't shy away from voicing your support of me when you're asked about it point blank in a debate." Or maybe "I'm just an asshole, and this is how I act when I know I'm about to get my butt kicked"...

Can I vote that all 3 are true?? ;)

Trump wants out of the job, bigly . . . .

I want your opinion. Do you think Covid has a lot to do with the turnout being so early? My wife,daughter, and I voted yesterday and there was a line. We had to wait an hour. Next Tuesday I am driving to Indiana for 2 weeks of vacation so we voted early because of it.
OMG.

Trump tells the country that Covid-19 has turned the corner and is no big deal while, at the same time, he downsizes and guts the postal system very quietly, surprising people when they found out, and making them leery of mailing their ballots in. Nonetheless, you pose a question that ignores Trump altogether and acts like Covid-19 is a random thing like lightning striking a tree and starting a forest fire.

Admit it for crying out loud -- Trump is an accelerant. He made it worse.

OMG.

Trump tells the country that Covid-19 has turned the corner and is no big deal while, at the same time, he downsizes and guts the postal system very quietly, surprising people when they found out, and making them leery of mailing their ballots in. Nonetheless, you pose a question that ignores Trump altogether and acts like Covid-19 is a random thing like lightning striking a tree and starting a forest fire.

Admit it for crying out loud -- Trump is an accelerant. He made it worse intentionally.
FIFY

Reactions: largemouth
Young Latinos might be another undercounted factor for Biden, motivated by none other than undocumented immigrants who can’t vote but are getting out the vote.
There are hundreds of thousands of young Latinos who are Dreamers and can't vote. But I guarantee that they're active on the campaign trail, and for a righteous reason: They can't help themselves to a vote, so they're going to reach those who can. They have many friends who do have the right to vote. And these friends don't understand why they can vote but others can't, and they've become politically active because they see the injustice visiting their peers.

So it's activism that comes from a personal experience and that maybe a generation ago wasn't as salient. This activism has always sort of been there -- the whole issue of immigration. But now it's so salient because Trump, in trying to repeal the DACA program and in being so frontal in his assaults against immigrant families -- has made it very personal. Activism has taken on heightened importance for many but especially for the younger generation.
These young voters can affect elections in all the southwestern states and Texas. Maybe even Florida.

Is he still claiming that Beto was paying busloads of illegal immigrants to vote?

Perhaps but it says a lot to me that Texas and Mon freaking Tana have already passed their 2016 vote total or close to it. Were not talking NJ or Illinois here. Maybe it's all the black and Hispanic women in Montana causing this phenomenon.

Perhaps but it says a lot to me that Texas and Mon freaking Tana have already passed their 2016 vote total or close to it. Were not talking NJ or Illinois here. Maybe it's all the black and Hispanic women in Montana causing this phenomenon.
And maybe the Black and Hispanic women in Texas, too.

[on edit] Montana turning out in high numbers won't change much . . . unless the additional turnout sends three unexpected EVs to Biden.

Black and Hispanic women turning out in Texas? That might have a major effect on the election, if Texas goes to Biden. 38 unexpected EVs to Biden? Trump would have to win Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Minnesota to compensate . . . good luck with that.

Last edited:
OMG.

Admit it for crying out loud -- Trump is an accelerant. He made it worse.
So you think Covid is the reason for early voting?

ADVERTISEMENT