ADVERTISEMENT

Awesome tracker re: voting totals (in real-time)

wiede

All-American
Sep 25, 2001

Bookmark this link.

It’s a web page that resides on github that tracks available public data in real time (or close to real time). You can sort by a few different variables.

The enthusiasm level seems to be up pretty much every state where early voting is happening. We’ve already reached 10% of the total votes in 2016.

Enjoy!

Up to 17 million now.

Several states already at over 20% of 2020 turnout.

Hopefully they are all sick of our corrupt Democrats and Republicans and voting gold. Early voting opened up in Texas 2 days ago on time amongst the whining Dems who claimed it was being delayed to prevent voting. LOL

Even had it been delayed it would be no issue. The lines were long on day 1. No lines today. No one will have an issue getting their votes in here. Just a bunch of meaningless theatrics for the crony TV channels to get ratings.

Up to 17 million now.

Several states already at over 20% of 2020 turnout.

TX, FL, MN, WI & FL all have VERY high early vote turnout, at least when compared to 2016. I have no idea what that means yet.

Hopefully they are all sick of our corrupt Democrats and Republicans and voting gold. Early voting opened up in Texas 2 days ago on time amongst the whining Dems who claimed it was being delayed to prevent voting. LOL

Even had it been delayed it would be no issue. The lines were long on day 1. No lines today. No one will have an issue getting their votes in here. Just a bunch of meaningless theatrics for the crony TV channels to get ratings.

Naaah, they are likely thinking republicans are the overwhelmingly corrupt party during this particular cycle. Plus people really, really seem to dig having healthcare. Weird!

But I will work on the pothole in front of my house today while wearing a Vote Gold shirt. Might try to replace the bulbs in some street lights too. Government sux!!!!

Limiting drop off voting to a single location, in the middle of a pandemic, is classic voter suppression. Especially when a county like Harris county has 4+ million residents. You may have to drive an hour and a half (Or more of the traffic is bad) to drop off your ballot. That’s insanity.

Also, TX is one of only 6 states that don’t allow early absentee mail-in voting. You have to claim one of four “excuses”- and being afraid of contracting COVID-19 isn’t one of them. That’s also a form of voter suppression.

Not everyone has the time or ability to drive 1.5-2 hours to drop off a ballot, or wait 1-4 hours in line to vote. And the folks that are most affected by those restrictions tend to vote blue. What you call “whiners” are folks that genuinely have different circumstances than you.

I do think that attempts to limit voting will backfire on the Republican Party. I can say that with confidence, because they’re the only party that has attempted to limit voting over the past few decades.

When I voted on Tuesday, it took me about 1 hour and 45 minutes. And I’m one of the lucky ones that can make time to do something like that in the middle of the work week. The only reason I was able to do it so quickly was because San Antonio allows early voting at Dozens of poll locations, and not just the one in your precinct. Had I went to the one we vote at on Election Day, I would’ve waited 3-4 hours. My son has been keeping an eye on that location (it’s a library near a park where he mountain bikes).

IMO, unless it’s Election Day, voting should never take more than 1-2 hours. Ideally, it should take under an hour. For an allegedly advanced society/country that’s a beacon of freedom, we sure as hell don’t do voting well. At all. And depending on where you live and your circumstances, it can be really difficult to do.

Limiting drop off voting to a single location, in the middle of a pandemic, is classic voter suppression. Especially when a county like Harris county has 4+ million residents. You may have to drive an hour and a half (Or more of the traffic is bad) to drop off your ballot. That’s insanity.

Also, TX is one of only 6 states that don’t allow early absentee mail-in voting. You have to claim one of four “excuses”- and being afraid of contracting COVID-19 isn’t one of them. That’s also a form of voter suppression.

Not everyone has the time or ability to drive 1.5-2 hours to drop off a ballot, or wait 1-4 hours in line to vote. And the folks that are most affected by those restrictions tend to vote blue. What you call “whiners” are folks that genuinely have different circumstances than you.

I do think that attempts to limit voting will backfire on the Republican Party. I can say that with confidence, because they’re the only party that has attempted to limit voting over the past few decades.

When I voted on Tuesday, it took me about 1 hour and 45 minutes. And I’m one of the lucky ones that can make time to do something like that in the middle of the work week. The only reason I was able to do it so quickly was because San Antonio allows early voting at Dozens of poll locations, and not just the one in your precinct. Had I went to the one we vote at on Election Day, I would’ve waited 3-4 hours. My son has been keeping an eye on that location (it’s a library near a park where he mountain bikes).

IMO, unless it’s Election Day, voting should never take more than 1-2 hours. Ideally, it should take under an hour. For an allegedly advanced society/country that’s a beacon of freedom, we sure as hell don’t do voting well. At all. And depending on where you live and your circumstances, it can be really difficult to do.
Extra covid-related protocols, like line spacing and disinfecting are exacerbating the lines. I would imagine a less motivated person who hears constant whining about lines at the polls might think twice about making the effort.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. The non-stop whining and conspiracy theories are tired and useless.

Just freaking vote using your head. there is no reason to drive 100 miles or stand in line four hours.

I spent four minutes voting after I filled out my ballot and that is because i have a long driveway.

Even with mail-in voting going way up in Florida, I don't expect huges delays in vote counting.

So far, USPS is delivering ballots from voter to polls in about 24 hours. The ballots are pre-checked for signature validation, opened, and stacked for optical scanning on election day. It is the same ballot and same scanners used for in-person voting, with scans done in under a second. So all ballots arriving by Nov 3 will likely be scanned on Nov 3 in Florida, at least.

Florida law requires receipt rather than postmark by Nov 3: A returned voted ballot must be received by the Supervisor of Elections' office no later than 7:00 pm (local time) on Election Day.

We will know by midnight on the 3rd who won Florida, unless it is one of those 50.001%-49.999% type Bush-Gore races.

Last edited:
Even with mail-in voting going way up in Florida, I don't expect huges delays in vote counting.

So far, USPS is delivering ballots from voter to polls in about 24 hours. The ballots are pre-checked for signature validation, opened, and stacked for optical scanning on election day. It is the same ballot and same scanners used for in-person voting, with scans done in under a second. So all ballots arriving by Nov 3 will likely be scanned on Nov 3 in Florida, at least.

Florida law requires receipt rather than postmark by Nov 3: A returned voted ballot must be received by the Supervisor of Elections' office no later than 7:00 pm (local time) on Election Day.

We wil know by midnight on the 3rd who won Florida, unless it is one of those 50.001%-49.999% type Bush-Gore races.

I’m REALLY hoping that the FL polls are close to true right now. Without FL, Trump’s path to victory is essentially toast. Which will severely limit the tolerance the public will have for post election legal challenges. There WILL be a lot of them, just as there have been a ton of pre election lawsuits. Most of the ones filed to date by team Trump are completely frivolous, and based on imagined cases of voter fraud that can’t be taken seriously. Courts need facts to justify their decisions, and when you’re trying to show that doing something will result in more fraud, you must have real life examples to show

The nightmare is Bush V Gore 2, and it drags on for months. And it eventually ends up at the Supreme Court, and judges end up deciding our president.

I am heartened by the huge turnout in FL so far (& TX and MI as well). Larger turnout usually equates to a better results for the Dems. That’s why the pub party has made voter suppression an unofficial part of their platform for the past few decades.

The only thing that would delay counting in FL is gross incompetence by election officials. Yes, we often have that, but in Palm Beach County anyway, the old farts who used to screw everything up have been replaced with technologically capable people who aren't of the habit of (for example) stacking boxes of ballots in unlocked rooms.

The only thing that would delay counting in FL is gross incompetence by election officials. Yes, we often have that, but in Palm Beach County anyway, the old farts who used to screw everything up have been replaced with technologically capable people who aren't of the habit of (for example) stacking boxes of ballots in unlocked rooms.

There’s always Broward county... And it could very well hinge on how large the turnout is in that county.

It’s amazing that they have managed to sustain such a level of incompetence over the past two decades.

In general, there’s zero excuse for our country to be as bad as we are at elections. But that’s another topic for another day.

BTW, I recently learned about a new theory re: numbers that could be very helpful in determining whether votes have been switched and/or excluded. It’s called Benford’s law, and here’s a summary:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law

Also, a recommendation for the board. If you have Netflix go watch a show called “Connected”. That’s where h learned about Benford’s law. It’s in the episode entitled “digits”.

I will warn you that the episode is terrifying,?-( least it was for me. It makes me question just how much free will we actually can exercise. Benford’s law literally applies to pretty much everything, or at least everything that can be quantified by numbers in some way

Apparently the IRS already uses an algorithm based on this principle to catch tax fraud

Reactions: outside shooter
There’s always Broward county... And it could very well hinge on how large the turnout is in that county.

It’s amazing that they have managed to sustain such a level of incompetence over the past two decades.

In general, there’s zero excuse for our country to be as bad as we are at elections. But that’s another topic for another day.

BTW, I recently learned about a new theory re: numbers that could be very helpful in determining whether votes have been switched and/or excluded. It’s called Benford’s law, and here’s a summary:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law

Also, a recommendation for the board. If you have Netflix go watch a show called “Connected”. That’s where h learned about Benford’s law. It’s in the episode entitled “digits”.

I will warn you that the episode is terrifying,?-( least it was for me. It makes me question just how much free will we actually can exercise. Benford’s law literally applies to pretty much everything, or at least everything that can be quantified by numbers in some way

Apparently the IRS already uses an algorithm based on this principle to catch tax fraud
Hey Champ . . . https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/those-cdc-numbers.200752/page-3#post-2998006

The nightmare is Bush V Gore 2, and it drags on for months. And it eventually ends up at the Supreme Court, and judges end up deciding our president.
I know people are always questioning it, but I have to believe the changes in voting technology since 2000 have to make that particular kind of nightmare less challenging. No one uses punch cards with "hanging chads" anymore, do they?

gettyimages-1306049-aaafa2b9b77518ca1a38ed55365658097d735be0-s800-c85.jpg

Reactions: mcmurtry66
It never happens except the times when it happens.

One rogue postal worker (assumption) does not equal fraud.

With Trump’s hand picked crony, we’ve seen postal workers do some out of bounds stuff to try to make quotas.
Obviously the article doesn’t say much, but there have been a few instances of mail being handled inappropriately since DeJoy took over. This type of thing happens from time to time with the USPS. The postal inspectors are on it, so I’d bet we’ll know the full story soon.

These weren’t even completed ballots- just blank ballots, apparently. Not great, but not fraud either. It looks like it was a bunch of random ballots as well, and the only link was the zip code.

If these had been completed ballots, and they were all linked to a certain party, then it would absolutely be fraud. But that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

When you can show actual fraud, let me know.

Texas, Georgia, Michigan, and Wisconsin all at about 27% of their 2016 turnouts.
There are 11 in person voting sites open in Cobb County, Georgia, and yesterday MrsSope went to the main election office to vote after work - yesterday was the 4th day of early voting. She was in line for about an hour and a half . . . which ain't too bad. I was in line on Tuesday at the West Cobb early voting location and spent about 2 1/2 hours total . . . which was down from the 4 hours that folks leaving the location while we were waiting in line were telling us it took for them.

I noticed some rural counties have little early voting - percentages as low as 5.9% in Tift, 7.5% in Pickens . . . those probably are strong Trump support locations, so don't let the early prognostications about the % of registered Democrats who've voted . . . total turnout, not %s, will determine who wins this election.

It ain't over 'til it's over . . . .

Tracker is currently showing 22.5M votes already cast.
In 2016 at the same time (week ending 10/16), there were only 1.4M votes cast.

Crazy!

When there are stories of 9 minute, 4 hour, 9 hour waits to vote, the "you must run government like a business" crowd do not appear.

Reactions: hondo314
When there are stories of 9 minute, 4 hour, 9 hour waits to vote, the "you must run government like a business" crowd do not appear.
At 2:30 yesterday, the line in Bton went down Madison, across on 6th, and back up half a block on Rogers. I have no idea what that translate to in time, and I wasn't going to test it out.

At 2:30 yesterday, the line in Bton went down Madison, across on 6th, and back up half a block on Rogers. I have no idea what that translate to in time, and I wasn't going to test it out.
I drive by every day, usually twice. If it gets below 1 block, I will stop and vote. So far, nope,

Reactions: UncleMark
Chuck Todd, from Meet the Press, says there will likely be 50 million who have voted, or about a third of the electorate, by the time of the next debate on Thursday. And well more than half the electorate by November 3rd.
My wife and I dropped off ballots off yesterday. We briefly waited for a van in front of us and there were vehicles queued up behind us.

TX, FL, MN, WI & FL all have VERY high early vote turnout, at least when compared to 2016. I have no idea what that means yet.
I think it means Trump has effectively already lost.

Over 35 million

John Couvillon (who's pulling data from a few other sources on top of Elect Project) is guessing 90-100 million in total early vote and over 150 million voters.

Last edited:
Texas is now at 53% of their 2016 turnout. It will be interesting to see how much it goes above the 2016 total.

Bookmark this link.

It’s a web page that resides on github that tracks available public data in real time (or close to real time). You can sort by a few different variables.

The enthusiasm level seems to be up pretty much every state where early voting is happening. We’ve already reached 10% of the total votes in 2016.

Enjoy!

interesting summary from last Sunday. Basically, it appears that most republicans are waiting until Election Day to vote.

Also, less than a week in, TX is already 59.2% of its entire vote total for 2016. Early voting started here last Tuesday (a week ago). That is insanity.

Here’s the text of the summary. Keep in mind this is a few days old now:

Early Vote Analysis for Sunday, Oct. 18
Early Voting at a Record Pace
Again, the headline is that early voting continues at a record pace, with at least 27.9 million people who have voted in the 2020 general election. Four year ago, at a comparable point in time, I was tracking 5.9 million votes.
Ah ah! The pace has dropped, you might surmise, because last week the early vote ran about six-and-a-half times at the same point in 2016, whereas this week it is only a little less than five times the comparable 2016 point. The ratio is coming down for two reasons.
First, it’s not like no one voted early in 2016. That was a record year for early voting, with about 40% of all votes cast early. We’re at 20% of the 2016 total vote as I write this. The ratio of 2020 early vote to 2016 early vote is going to come down simply because it is impossible that early voting is going to be six times what it was in 2016.
Second, we are now entering the in-person early voting period in many states. There is a simple capacity issue. In-person early voting is designed to spread out voting over several days, so in most states there are fewer in-person polling locations than what election officials provide on Election Day. It is difficult, if not impossible, to process in one day six times the number of voters as in 2016. Still, we are seeing impressive in-person early voting with two-fold increases over 2016 in Georgia and Tennessee, Texas, and North Carolina.
I expect the national pace of early voting to pick up during the coming week. More states are coming online with in-person early voting this week and a greater number of ballots will start rolling in from the all-mail ballot states. But, it is possible that some states that have been offering early voting for a while will level off or decline slightly this week. That is a typical pattern. The pace typically picks up again the last week prior to the election, particularly as younger voters get into the mix, as I explained last week. Hard to believe, but there is only a little more than two weeks left before November 3rd.
Where Are the Republicans?
In the states with party registration, registered Democrats have a huge advantage among early voters.
Total Voted by Party Registration
Reporting states with party registration data: CA, CO, FL, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, OK, PA, SD
PartyCountPercent
Democrats8,416,46752.8
Republicans4,023,07325.2
Minor86,5460.5
No Party Affiliation3,412,16921.4
TOTAL15,938,255100.0
Until this point, registered Democrats have dominated the early voting period on the strength of their higher mail ballots request rate and return rate advantages. Both of these patterns are different from prior elections where registered Republicans tended to request more mail ballots and return them at a higher rate. And the differences here are not small. Registered Democrats have returned more than 3 million more ballots than Republicans, a pattern that is replicated across states. Democrats are voting by mail, and returning their ballots at a higher clip.
Returned Mail Ballots by Party Registration
Reporting states with party registration data: CA, CO, FL, IA, KS, KY, MD, ME, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, OK, PA, SD
PartyReturned BallotsFreq. DistributionRequested BallotsReturn Rate
Democrats7,446,80554.423,962,08331.1
Republicans3,229,53923.613,368,01724.2
Minor77,4080.6363,29221.3
No Party Affiliation2,945,52021.515,077,43219.5
TOTAL13,699,272100.052,770,82426.0
In past elections, Democrats have tended to dominate in-person early voting, in far greater numbers than mail ballots (in the states that offer both voting methods). We might expect that with so many registered Democrats voting by mail early, there would be a shift from Democrats away from voting in-person early. If Republicans are listening to President Trump’s rhetoric disparaging mail balloting, we might expect to see more Republicans voting in-person early. Republicans have less of a disadvantage among in-person early voters than mail voters, but over-all a deficit continues to exist.
In-Person Votes by Party Registration
Reporting states with party registration data: CO, KS, KY, LA, MD, NC, NM, SD
PartyCountPercent
Democrats969,66243.3
Republicans793,53435.4
Minor9,1380.4
No Party Affiliation466,64920.8
TOTAL2,238,983100.0
The fewer states where in-person early voting by party registration is available tend to be more Republican than where mail ballot data by party registration is available, so some of the closing of the gap may be an artifact of the available states.
A state where a fairly large number of in-person votes have been cast and Republicans are outperforming Democrats among in-person voters is New Mexico. More New Mexico voters have cast mail ballots, and Democrats have a larger edge among mail voters, so registered Democrats in New Mexico still have a sizable 20 percentage point lead among all early voters.
New Mexico In-Person Votes by Party Registration
PartyCountPercent
Democrats51,19740.4
Republicans60,32547.7
Minor7230.6
No Party Affiliation13,74710.9
TOTAL126,584100.0
New Mexico Mail Ballots Returned by Party Registration
Democrats92,56165.4229,49540.3
Republicans28,49920.179,81235.7
Minor1,5091.12,58458.4
No Party Affiliation19,04313.459,26832.1
TOTAL141,612100.0371,15938.2
Another state where there is a large number of in-person early voters is North Carolina. Here, again, there are more registered Republicans voting-inperson early than by mail. But unlike New Mexico, Democrats dominate among both voting methods.
North Carolina In-Person Votes by Party Registration
PartyCountPercent
Democrats517,31542.7
Republicans367,11130.3
Minor4,2540.4
No Party Affiliation323,41426.7
TOTAL1,212,094100.0
North Carolina Mail Ballots Returned by Party Registration
Democrats316,42149.3643,92649.1
Republicans119,56118.6269,37244.4
Minor2,5230.47,56433.4
No Party Affiliation202,94131.6465,62743.6
TOTAL641,446100.01,386,48946.3
There are impressive in-person early voting increases compared to 2016 in Georgia and Texas, as noted above. But these states do not have party registration. Georgia does report early voting statistics by race, and non-Hispanic Whites constitute nearly the same percentage of mail voters (55.1%) as they do in-person voters (56.0%).
African-Americans tend to prefer voting in-person, particularly through so-called “Souls-to-Polls” voter mobilization that takes place through churches. This may explain why a state like New Mexico, with fewer African-Americans would see a registered Republican advantage among in-person early voters, while states like Georgia or North Carolina may not.
There are two weeks left in the election, so there is plenty of time for Republicans to vote. I certainly want to see what happens in the coming weeks as more states offer in-person early voting. Of course, there is always Election Day, which will likely be flooded by Republican voters.
Trump’s Eggs Are Mostly in One Basket
While Democrats can feel good about the record number of early voters, I believe the most important story now is tactical.
The Trump campaign spent millions of dollars sending mailers encouraging his supporters to request mail ballots and vote in-person. The Trump campaign sent three mailers to my household, addressed to the prior occupant, encouraging him to request a mail ballot and vote in-person early. (Who hasn’t lived here in several years and is no longer on the voter file. That is some poor targeting.) His money has largely been wasted because Trump’s supporters are listening to his rhetoric about mail ballot fraud. Even if occasionally he grudgingly tells his supporters to vote by mail or vote early, Republicans aren’t doing it yet. Maybe Trump feels he can waste his money this way, but throwing away money only means the Biden campaign has even more of a cash advantage over Trump.
Meanwhile, the Biden campaign is analyzing the same early voting data of individual voters available to me. They are merrily scratching names off their target universe and re-concentrating their efforts onto voters they want to vote who haven’t participated yet. This means that Biden is able to more effectively use the money he has.
Trump is putting his eggs into the Election Day basket, and that is risky. It is not unheard of for bad weather to happen on Election Day – a snowstorm, rain, or even a tropical disturbance. Bad weather is known to depress turnout. There will be fewer polling locations because of COVID, so Election Day lines could be unusually long and miserable to stand in with bad weather. A COVID issue could unexpectedly shutter an election office or polling location, creating last minute chaos.
Again, maybe Republicans start voting in-person over the next two weeks. If I were running a campaign, I’d much prefer to be the one where I’ve already banked millions of votes more than my opponent.

5.3M have now voted in Texas. If this turnout continues, that is good news for Ds.

ADVERTISEMENT