ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

jcg_94

Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2018
Getting really tired of watching a half empty stadium. Frustrating to see PU have a great looking atmosphere on prime time tv. Haven’t seen a crowd like that in Memorial stadium for a long time. Not sure what it’s gonna take for Glass to change the culture but it has to change in hurry.

Getting really tired of watching a half empty stadium. Frustrating to see PU have a great looking atmosphere on prime time tv. Haven’t seen a crowd like that in Memorial stadium for a long time. Not sure what it’s gonna take for Glass to change the culture but it has to change in hurry.

Don’t charge exorbitant prices to get into the game and invest in a coaching staff and facilities worthy of a winning program. But as long as that Big Ten Network money keeps rolling in there is no incentive for IU to do anything to get better.

Couple of points from someone who is in the stadium.

The attendance is nowhere near where it should be, so don't get me wrong

The stadium is well above half full, on tv you see the student and faculty/ staff sections and those have been bad all year, the larger west side is well above half full.

There were 20,000 Ohio fans in waste LAffy last night so keep that in perspective and there are a lot more quality options competing for people's time and money in Btown than in Laffy.

The tailgate lots were still active until the mid third quarter when the wind and cold drove some out, Let's face it, until IU wins, this will be a problem. FB is still a social event here with a very socially and business connected fan base. This is not a materially price-elastic target market... Money is not the issue.

The stadium is well above half full, on tv you see the student and faculty/ staff sections and those have been bad all year, the larger west side is well above half full.

There were 20,000 Ohio fans in waste LAffy last night so keep that in perspective and there are a lot more quality options competing for people's time and money in Btown than in Laffy.

The tailgate lots were still active until the mid third quarter when the wind and cold drove some out, Let's face it, until IU wins, this will be a problem. FB is still a social event here with a very socially and business connected fan base. This is not a materially price-elastic target market... Money is not the issue.

I am sorry IU fans. Please do not blame the weather. Please do not blame the traffic. Please do not blame the cost of tickets. But when our team works their butts off and has a chance to defeat a top Ten team in the last minute of the game but only has 200 fans and the band cheering for them, it is totally on the fans. Why would a good player want to come to IU to play football with this pitiful fan support? Blame the coaches and the players if you must but right now, the fans ought to just look in the mirror and see the biggest part of the problem explaining why IU does not win. And that will be the person looking back at him.

We had a great-looking atmosphere the last time we hosted Ohio State on prime time TV, too.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
I am sorry IU fans. Please do not blame the weather. Please do not blame the traffic. Please do not blame the cost of tickets. But when our team works their butts off and has a chance to defeat a top Ten team in the last minute of the game but only has 200 fans and the band cheering for them, it is totally on the fans. Why would a good player want to come to IU to play football with this pitiful fan support? Blame the coaches and the players if you must but right now, the fans ought to just look in the mirror and see the biggest part of the problem explaining why IU does not win. And that will be the person looking back at him.
Totally agree with this! 100%! Pitiful fan base leaving with 10 minutes to go in the 4th. I know, horrible product, bad coaching, awful AD, sub par facilities, blah blah blah. Add embarrassing fan base to the list!

I don't understand the degree to which it emptied out yesterday. Was it that cold??? That windy??? There were more people at the end of the VA monsoon, fer cryin' out loud.

Understand this is coming from someone who doesn't attend games (financial reasons) and would avoid cold/wet weather even if he could (health reasons) so I'm not trying to dog anyone.

Hawk fan here who traveled to Bloomington last weekend. I was absolutely shocked when I saw the ticket price of the Iowa game was $70. Ended up getting tickets on Stubhub. I made the comment as we were leaving the stadium that I don’t understand why people don’t go to the games. Great campus, stadium is really nice. Hell, there are already like 50,000 people tailgating. Not sure why they don’t just go into the game.

I personally think your AD is a dope. Not only the ridiculous ticket prices, but the selling off of the PSU home game several years ago. If I’m one of the season ticket holders down there I would have been livid.

I don't understand the degree to which it emptied out yesterday. Was it that cold??? That windy??? There were more people at the end of the VA monsoon, fer cryin' out loud.

Understand this is coming from someone who doesn't attend games (financial reasons) and would avoid cold/wet weather even if he could (health reasons) so I'm not trying to dog anyone.

Not an excuse, but the sun went behind the west stands right about the time it was apparent we had no quick strike offensive capabilities, and the crowd just quit. Each successive injury time out, or IU punt, you could see the fans leaving in droves.

The NW wind and lack of sun only made it easier.

We stayed til the end, but it was getting cold quick and the post-game festivities were gonna be non-existent up by the stadium.

Reactions: DANC

Please. I am 40 years old, I can count the winning seasons we have had in my lifetime on 2 hands (9). I can count the number of winning seasons we have had since I was 17 on 1 finger (yes, we made bowls at 6-6 and lost, leaving the season at 6-7 a few times, neither of those are truly a "winning" record though). The last time we beat Ohio State, I was in the 2nd grade. The last time we beat Michigan, I believe I was in third grade. It is asking an awful lot of people to shell out the kind of money it takes to go to a game and continually see the same thing. We have been saying, "wait until next year" my entire adult life.

Fans do not coach and fans do not play. After all the futility of this program, it is a wonder that we still have anyone willing to go out and face that heartache on a regular basis.

The fans are not to blame. Blame an AD that fires the programs most successful coach and then hires Cam Cameron. Blame an AD who thinks Dinardo is a good hire. Hoeppner may have been a good one, we do not really know. We stuck with Lynch far too long, although he did get me that 1 winning season in the past 20 some odd years. Wilson was doing ok and we fired him for...well, I am not entirely sure other than they said he was a bad guy. Then we promoted Allen without a coaching search.

The fans did not do that.

A third of the 20,000 at the iu game were Penn State fans
Dumbass liar, there were double the number you stated and no where near a third PSU fans.

Fans arrived late and left early. Time, score, cold, but especially the wind had even my group leaving early. We almost regretted it.

Glass-change, not going to happen.

Reactions: IUgradman
Surely at this point there could be a very FOCUSED campaign to change the attendance and fan experience and expectations at games.

Crazy ideas?

$5 student tickets but.. put a reader on tickets for people who leave game before Q4 that hurts their ability to go to BB games?

Open up tickets for visiting teams with good prices too. I’d rather have a full stadium of mixed fans than 30,000.

Lower concession costs. (See ATL NASL soccer model)

Education/PR program to show IU students how other B10 students have fun at games.

Get Kelly B School to do case studies in ways to improve it.

And of course FB team start winning more!

Wonder why the PU crowd did not leave at half time because I thought that was what fans were suppose to do.

Surely at this point there could be a very FOCUSED campaign to change the attendance and fan experience and expectations at games.

Crazy ideas?

$5 student tickets but.. put a reader on tickets for people who leave game before Q4 that hurts their ability to go to BB games?

Open up tickets for visiting teams with good prices too. I’d rather have a full stadium of mixed fans than 30,000.

Education/PR program to show IU students how other B10 students have fun at games.

I am pretty sure the student tickets are already $10.00 so that is not a good excuse.

At this point, that is literally the only thing that is going to get butts in the seats. When I was a Freshman at IU, they literally gave tickets away to every student living in the dorms. People still did not go. We have tried the gimmicks for years. The reason people do not go is because the program is always "close". If not for the few boneheaded mistakes we make every year, we may have won that game. Then we wait for the guys to get more experience and they make the same mistakes. We consider playing Ohio State "close" to be a win. "Well, we gave them a good game for 3 qtrs...." Meanwhile you have the team up north that we were supposedly out recruiting and had been in the tank as recent as early this year absolutely throttle that team we "played close".

Winning. That is all that matters now.

At this point, that is literally the only thing that is going to get butts in the seats. When I was a Freshman at IU, they literally gave tickets away to every student living in the dorms. People still did not go. We have tried the gimmicks for years. The reason people do not go is because the program is always "close". If not for the few boneheaded mistakes we make every year, we may have won that game. Then we wait for the guys to get more experience and they make the same mistakes. We consider playing Ohio State "close" to be a win. "Well, we gave them a good game for 3 qtrs...." Meanwhile you have the team up north that we were supposedly out recruiting and had been in the tank as recent as early this year absolutely throttle that team we "played close".

Winning. That is all that matters now.
I agree that winning is the only thing that will get the fans in but the problem is that really good recruits won't want to come play here with an empty stadium. So the question is how can you win first if you are not getting the better players to come play here.

Reactions: channi
I agree that winning is the only thing that will get the fans in but the problem is that really good recruits won't want to come play here with an empty stadium. So the question is how can you win first if you are not getting the better players to come play here.

Ask Purdue, they seem to have figured something out. Not to be snarky but they had a program that was a dumpster fire 2 years ago. They make a good hire and go to a bowl immediately. The next year they start out rough but now are on a 4 game winning streak including absolutely curb stomping a program that has been the class of our conference.

It is not like they had a huge amount of fan support when they were dogging it either.

It's $70+ for just one ticket. For a family of four that's almost $300 just on tickets. That's way too much. I've gotten Pacers playoffs tickets for much less than $70 a ticket. You expect people to pay that for a mediocre college football team?

My wife and I left in the fourth quarter with IU down 33-21 and having just given the ball back to PSU. We were cold and hungry and I was certain the game was no longer in doubt. I almost regretted it as well. We listened to the end of the game on the way to eat and while we had a chance at the end, it was still an enormously low likelihood we were going to win.

By the time we left we had been in the stadium for over 5 hours. The wind was picking up and as the crowd thinned it got more uncomfortable being exposed. Televised games are endless for those of us actually at the game. I don't blame anyone for leaving when the outcome appears not to be in doubt. I never leave until I know there is no hope of winning. I left the Iowa game with 10 minutes to go in the third quarter because watching that effort was making me sick. I was proud of the play yesterday and stayed until the fumble on the punt and the subsequent PSU score sealed the deal (or so I believed). If we had come back to win I would have been kicking myself but it was a judgement call. If you want people to stay for a game that has been decided in that kind of weather, you're going to have to find a way to either speed up play or better entertain the crowd. I'll leave it to others to decide how to best do that.

If any of you were among the small group of die-hards who stayed to the bitter end, hats off to you and you may feel free to criticize my fandom. If you are criticizing the crowd because of the optics from your position on your living room sofa, you can piss off.

IU recently got a commitment from its highest rated recruit in the online ranking era. Recruiting is definitely trending up. We are getting better players. Your argument doesn't hold water.

Reactions: Cutter1973
IU recently got a commitment from its highest rated recruit in the online ranking era. Recruiting is definitely trending up. We are getting better players. Your argument doesn't hold water.

That is why I am still holding judgment on Allen. However, his job is going to get harder with the absolute about face that was done by Purdue.

We are constantly in a state of "next year". Our problems start to go away when that next year finally arrives. It then needs to be followed up by several more "next years" that have wins against actual good competition scattered within them.

My wife and I left in the fourth quarter with IU down 33-21 and having just given the ball back to PSU. We were cold and hungry and I was certain the game was no longer in doubt. I almost regretted it as well. We listened to the end of the game on the way to eat and while we had a chance at the end, it was still an enormously low likelihood we were going to win.

By the time we left we had been in the stadium for over 5 hours. The wind was picking up and as the crowd thinned it got more uncomfortable being exposed. Televised games are endless for those of us actually at the game. I don't blame anyone for leaving when the outcome appears not to be in doubt. I never leave until I know there is no hope of winning. I left the Iowa game with 10 minutes to go in the third quarter because watching that effort was making me sick. I was proud of the play yesterday and stayed until the fumble on the punt and the subsequent PSU score sealed the deal (or so I believed). If we had come back to win I would have been kicking myself but it was a judgement call. If you want people to stay for a game that has been decided in that kind of weather, you're going to have to find a way to either speed up play or better entertain the crowd. I'll leave it to others to decide how to best do that.
The game was close to four hours long. Many people (particularly young people) are unwilling to sit for anything lasting that long anymore. And this is not a phenomenon that is unique to IU.

Purdue season ticket holder here. They are aggressively pricing tickets at Purdue. They are doing concession vouchers (which are good for beer too) and mini packages. They have the goal of selling every ticket regardless of price in the hopes that the atmosphere and concession sales will make up for the $5 (yes, in some cases five dollar) tickets. When I try to get tickets for the bucket game, your school refuses to back off the $50 price point it has been for years. I'm not paying that when I know the stadium will have tons of empty seats.The marketing team at Purdue is killing it right now which was never the case until a few years ago. It can be done at Iu, but let's be honest: a lot of your fans would rather head to south bend for the afternoon. You also have a killer tailgate atmosphere which keeps people out. That's a big problem when you are trying to draw 50k inside the gate. Good luck, Minn and Maryland are very winnable for you to make a bowl.

Crazy ideas?

And if you dont have it....BEER!!!

Fans arrived late and left early. Time, score, cold, but especially the wind had even my group leaving early. We almost regretted it.
Talked to a die hard buddy of mine this morning who goes to all the games and never leaves early. Yesterday he did. Said the wind and cold were brutal, that he was fine early, but when the sun went behind the stands and the wind picked up and the temperature kept dropping, he and his wife just couldn't take it anymore.

Talked to a die hard buddy of mine this morning who goes to all the games and never leaves early. Yesterday he did. Said the wind and cold were brutal, that he was fine early, but when the sun went behind the stands and the wind picked up and the temperature kept dropping, he and his wife just couldn't take it anymore.
We only leave early if we have to get home for something. We thought we had prepared for the temperature, but the wind was something we only learned about at the tailgate.

Trash in the stands were blowing as shot out of a cannon. The PSU play cards blew across the field into the IU bench. We gave them back. Not all teams would do that.

Really? The fans? I guess it is pointless to attempt to win on the road. A stadium packed with screaming fans reflects the enthusiasm and expectations of the team. Obviously there is still a credibility issue. Kind of like blaming prospective voters for not attending a campaign rally.

Last edited:
It's $70+ for just one ticket. For a family of four that's almost $300 just on tickets. That's way too much. I've gotten Pacers playoffs tickets for much less than $70 a ticket. You expect people to pay that for a mediocre college football team?
I don't know how they get anybody at that pricing. It looks horrible on TV when they show how empty the seats were. It wasn't that cold but the price? IU should be selling tickets for $25 and letting people in free to fill stands after kick off . Why would any recruit see that and want to come there? Football will never ever be good at IU It was cold in WL last night, ND had a Garth Brooks concert that was packed all colder than Btown and no sun at all.

Reactions: bigbird__23

Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.

We only leave early if we have to get home for something. We thought we had prepared for the temperature, but the wind was something we only learned about at the tailgate.

Trash in the stands were blowing as shot out of a cannon. The PSU play cards blew across the field into the IU bench. We gave them back. Not all teams would do that.

It was a lot worse for those on the east side where the students and faculty/staff sit and they tend to leave under any circumstance. It wasn't that bad on the west side

ADVERTISEMENT