IU vs RU: 37,055
IL vs UM: 37,275
MN vs Neb: 43,502
PU vs MD: 52,296

Surprising numbers.

Minny was 5-0 and didn't get a sellout.
1-4 PU playing a bad MD team got 52k.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Here we go, with another thread about Purdue. Wtf, guys?

Anybody interested in talking IU football? Could be a special season.
Hey man.

I posted about a nine win IU season, and you said you loved the enthusiasm but I should be more realistic.

Now you're talking about special season.

Cut me some slack. Vbg

Hey man.

I posted about a nine win IU season, and you said you loved the enthusiasm but I should be more realistic.

Now you're talking about special season.

Cut me some slack. Vbg
I consider a bowl season (six wins) a special season. We haven't had many of those. If we win on the road at Maryland, I'll be happy to concede that I probably underestimated the team, as I think we're then looking north of 6. None of us really knows how good (or not) this team really is, given the schedule to date. Yesterday's game was great but this Saturday's game will tell us a lot more, I think.

It is a shame that IU can’t get more fans to the game on a nice sunny fall Saturday. Was it the opponent or do people just not care. I do not understand it though hey I wasn’t there so I guess I shouldn’t criticize.

IU fans, correctly or incorrectly, are skeptical of the program. As such, they are wary of getting behind it via attendance when as in recent years a good start is followed by a weak finish and no bowl is achieved. IU may well get to a bowl this year; it remains to be seen. However, past history has made the prospective fans wary. Have a few good seasons and the attendance will follow.

It is a shame that IU can’t get more fans to the game on a nice sunny fall Saturday. Was it the opponent or do people just not care. I do not understand it though hey I wasn’t there so I guess I shouldn’t criticize.
Very disappointing for sure. The noon start certainly didn't help, but I think people are still skeptical. Until we prove we can beat somebody legit and make bowl games a lot of people are not going to invest.

I wouldn't be anywhere else but B'town on a day like yesterday but I won't begin to criticize those who still haven't been convinced that IU football is a sound investment. Keep winning and that will change.

As for the starting time, I can't figure why the B1G wouldn't start games at 1 p.m. eastern, noon central. It seems to me that with almost half the conference on central time, the ADs would push hard for the elimination of 11 a.m. starts. If there is concern about overlap, just push the later games back an hour as well.

Surprising numbers.

since we're obviously just making up numbers, why not just say RU-IU was a sell out with SRO.

Very disappointing for sure. The noon start certainly didn't help, but I think people are still skeptical. Until we prove we can beat somebody legit and make bowl games a lot of people are not going to invest.

I wouldn't be anywhere else but B'town on a day like yesterday but I won't begin to criticize those who still haven't been convinced that IU football is a sound investment. Keep winning and that will change.

As for the starting time, I can't figure why the B1G wouldn't start games at 1 p.m. eastern, noon central. It seems to me that with almost half the conference on central time, the ADs would push hard for the elimination of 11 a.m. starts. If there is concern about overlap, just push the later games back an hour as well.
I'm not going to lie, because of the time of year I rarely am able to attend football games. Judging from radio or TV, there almost always seems to be a lack of juice from the crowd at the noon games compared to the 3:30 games.

15,000 more homecoming fans that didn't go in the stadium.
are the people who don’t go in students, locals or who? I can not imagine driving there from more than a few miles away just to park and tailgate and never go to the game. I know people like there tailgating and that is fine but it would be interesting to know where the people are from that are coming to the parking lot but not coming to the game.

Surprising numbers.

Purdue (with minimal Maryland fans) fills 91% of the stadium yesterday while IU (with 10k+ OSU fans) only filled 91% for their biggest home game of the year. What gives? Purdue is averaging 93% capacity this year.

It is amazing the number who come only to tailgate. Has to be thousands in the parking lot at all times. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Lillyr66
are the people who don’t go in students, locals or who? I can not imagine driving there from more than a few miles away just to park and tailgate and never go to the game. I know people like there tailgating and that is fine but it would be interesting to know where the people are from that are coming to the parking lot but not coming to the game.
I don't understand it either. Save $20 and sit in your driveway.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I would estimate that there were substantially more people outside that did not come in than there were inside. Comparing partying in your driveway to the grass lots is a bit silly. I obviously go to all of the games, but the tailgating is sometimes more fun. I often wish I didn't care about the games so much. I just wish our fans could multitask.

You know it has been mentioned as negative thing that Fred Glass is trying to shut down the tailgate action. Maybe he is just trying to figure out a way to actually get people to actually go into the stadium. Just a thought don’t know for sure. Also don’t know how to fix it. Team has played pretty well this year minus the Ohio State game. I do wish we could get attendance up and turn it into a real home field advantage like it is in basketball. I know we have a core group of diehards that show up through everything. I just wish we could get those fringe fans who stay in the parking lot or make up excuses to not go would find reasons to go.

The problem is getting the people inside of the stadium. TONS of people in the parking lot again. I personally don't get that but it is what it is. How do we get them in the stands? Winning MAY help, but I think some will always come just to sit in the parking lot and get hammered. I guess I'd rather watch a game - maybe I'm different.

You know it has been mentioned as negative thing that Fred Glass is trying to shut down the tailgate action. Maybe he is just trying to figure out a way to actually get people to actually go into the stadium. Just a thought don’t know for sure. Also don’t know how to fix it. Team has played pretty well this year minus the Ohio State game. I do wish we could get attendance up and turn it into a real home field advantage like it is in basketball. I know we have a core group of diehards that show up through everything. I just wish we could get those fringe fans who stay in the parking lot or make up excuses to not go would find reasons to go.
Yes it’s negative thing because just ask yourself is it easier to get fans into stands from a couple hundred yards away or from a living room couch? Mistake has been not finding way to positively play off unique tailgating scene. At one time it was pretty special. Still decent but not what it was. As for the question why PU had so many more fans for similar homecoming game, they advertised $15 via social, radio, etc right up to game day. IU lowered to $30 for a couple days a week ago. A whopping 30% or something. Much greater effort on PUs part.

The problem is getting the people inside of the stadium. TONS of people in the parking lot again. I personally don't get that but it is what it is. How do we get them in the stands? Winning MAY help, but I think some will always come just to sit in the parking lot and get hammered. I guess I'd rather watch a game - maybe I'm different.
Most NFL and some colleges forbid people to remain in the parking lots tailgating after kickoff. Too many people who require some level of supervision, so they sweep the lots and send them on their way or make those with tickets go inside. And almost no venue permits pass out privileges anymore as it’s universally viewed as a security issue that stadiums want to mitigate. I don’t think IU really cares if people come in or not since they’ve never done anything about it and they probably don’t want to upset people who don’t care about seeing the game.

Pissing off tailgaters does not get people into the stadium.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yes it’s negative thing because just ask yourself is it easier to get fans into stands from a couple hundred yards away or from a living room couch? Mistake has been not finding way to positively play off unique tailgating scene. At one time it was pretty special. Still decent but not what it was. As for the question why PU had so many more fans for similar homecoming game, they advertised $15 via social, radio, etc right up to game day. IU lowered to $30 for a couple days a week ago. A whopping 30% or something. Much greater effort on PUs part.

Purdue beat somebody, won a bowl game, and beat us two years in a row. The pricing business is not nothing, but not as important as those facts.

Reactions: IUgradman

Purdue beat somebody, won a bowl game, and beat us two years in a row. The pricing business is not nothing, but not as important as those facts.
Don’t disagree at all! Certainly bigger factors. No one single answer, usually a bunch of things added up to get full picture.

I do agree that it is better to charge half the price of tix and get twice the amount of people. I don’t know why people in charge don’t get that. But I also understand that it costs money to put games on. You have security, ushers, concession and parking people. And many more people behind the scenes. I do like you suggestion that you tell people the tailgates will be emptied until maybe end of third quarter.

Surprising numbers.

The difference in my opinion is the number of people that actually leave a tailgate and watch the game. There are those that leave the game early to return to their tailgate. To many, it doesn't matter if we are up 30 or down 30. In tight games against MSU or OSU, some that never leave our tailgate show up in their seats. I don't get why people come to the game and sit in the parking lot listening to music,.

I commented that there seemed to be a lot more post game partying and visibly intoxicated people in the grass lot as we walked to our car. I believe there was a larger group that decided to skip a game that was as sure of a win as we have all season and party instead. I am glad it was an early game or some of those people wouldn't have lasted into the late afternoon.

Because this program has one winning season over the last 25 years.
This though also points out the missed potential as despite this record, we have had a tremendous tailgating scene and good hard core group. IU is fortunate to have the hard core base it’s had. Problem is there isn’t a new gen being developed so it will die out eventually

Our fanbase stinks! Sorry but that is a fact. I have been sitting in the west stands for years watching a half empty student section and then 75% empty after halftime. I turn around and look at the west stands and it is not quite as bad but noticeably fewer there after half time. I don't have an answer other than our fanbase stinks! Kudos to those who stay and support the Hoosiers no matter what.

The difference in my opinion is the number of people that actually leave a tailgate and watch the game. There are those that leave the game early to return to their tailgate. To many, it doesn't matter if we are up 30 or down 30. In tight games against MSU or OSU, some that never leave our tailgate show up in their seats. I don't get why people come to the game and sit in the parking lot listening to music,.

I commented that there seemed to be a lot more post game partying and visibly intoxicated people in the grass lot as we walked to our car. I believe there was a larger group that decided to skip a game that was as sure of a win as we have all season and party instead. I am glad it was an early game or some of those people wouldn't have lasted into the late afternoon.

Honestly the majority of folks in the grass lot don't even have game tickets. They just purchase grass lot passes for tailgating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT