ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming he’s back...

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
No real inside sources. But someone that is very rarely wrong when they give me info about IU (I believe they’re related in some way to a Trustee) says it’s already been decided he’s back. So I’m bummed out. Hope he’s wrong this time.

But assuming he’s back... What will it take for it not be a dumpster fire? As much as I want him gone. Our problem is above Archie. It’s systemic. So might as well win with him. It evidently doesn’t matter if he loses.

I think TJD is gone. Brunk and Al likely gone. I’d say the rest, with the info we all have today, should be most likely to return? So what does that leave us?

Guards-Rob, Armaan, Khristian, Anthony, Trey returning. Parker only new one as of now.

Forward/Bigs-Race, Jerome, Jordan returning. Logan coming in.

We need an impact big. Either a transfer, or somehow late recruit signee. Unlikely. So hopefully Logan is ready to contribute.

We need Parker to be ready to be a contributor. We need Khristian to have a great offseason. We need Trey to find a shot.

If we can get more/impactful minutes from Parker and Khristian, and less from Rob(especially less with him at PG)...I could see the backcourt being better overall. Armaan should be a really good guard next year.

Losing TJD makes it basically impossible for the front court to do anything but regress. ONLY possibility is it forces Archie to change his offense completely. Using more open concepts, more ball movement, more cutting...instead of dibble handoffs. Running through the post. No transition game. Etc...

In the end, unless we do get marked improvement from returning guys, especially backcourt guys...and/or some impactful transfers, at the level of what Michigan got this year...I think a repeat overall record to what we had this year is probably around our ceiling. Possibly could be worse.

So awesome that we’re likely willingly headed that way.

• Sad
Reactions: 76-1
No chance he is back.

I don’t how he could be either! Just passing along info I got. There’s another poster that has heard similar things from their source.

There are times you make moves on people because you know you have someone better in the fold. And there are times you don’t have a clue who you’d replace them with, but you just have to make a move because they’re that bad, or performing that badly. I can’t imagine how we’re not in the second situation with Archie.

Reactions: ericrossiu
You've been on this board for 16 years. Have you learned nothing?

Well I was told that Scott Dolson truly cared about and loved Indiana basketball. Maybe I got bad info and he's like McRobbie and Fred in that he wants to de-emphasize the program.

No real inside sources. But someone that is very rarely wrong when they give me info about IU (I believe they’re related in some way to a Trustee) says it’s already been decided he’s back. So I’m bummed out. Hope he’s wrong this time.

But assuming he’s back... What will it take for it not be a dumpster fire? As much as I want him gone. Our problem is above Archie. It’s systemic. So might as well win with him. It evidently doesn’t matter if he loses.

I think TJD is gone. Brunk and Al likely gone. I’d say the rest, with the info we all have today, should be most likely to return? So what does that leave us?

Guards-Rob, Armaan, Khristian, Anthony, Trey returning. Parker only new one as of now.

We need an impact big. Either a transfer, or somehow late recruit signee. Unlikely. So hopefully Logan is ready to contribute.

We need Parker to be ready to be a contributor. We need Khristian to have a great offseason. We need Trey to find a shot.

If we can get more/impactful minutes from Parker and Khristian, and less from Rob(especially less with him at PG)...I could see the backcourt being better overall. Armaan should be a really good guard next year.

Losing TJD makes it basically impossible for the front court to do anything but regress. ONLY possibility is it forces Archie to change his offense completely. Using more open concepts, more ball movement, more cutting...instead of dibble handoffs. Running through the post. No transition game. Etc...

In the end, unless we do get marked improvement from returning guys, especially backcourt guys...and/or some impactful transfers, at the level of what Michigan got this year...I think a repeat overall record to what we had this year is probably around our ceiling. Possibly could be worse.

I'll save you some time. The issue is Archie. As long as he remains the coach we're going to underperform.

It will be another lost season and the environment will become extremely toxic. The administration will seriously regret keeping Archie for another year. It is stunning that some don’t seem to realize this. There is nothing Archie can do to turn this program around. The roster will be worse next season.

Last edited:
The biggest fear I have is if he comes back & is middling enough that they breathe a sigh of relief & keep him. I think it’s clear he ain’t the guy, & I was in the camp early on that he was gonna be the guy, & even thought he still might be heading into this season...

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I think Brunk will be back. He has unfinished business at IU. I have no idea who might transfer but I hope none do and we get a couple of transfers ourselves. A SF or C type who can shoot and another F or G who can shoot. Bottom line is we need shooters! ;)

I think Brunk will be back. He has unfinished business at IU. I have no idea who might transfer but I hope none do and we get a couple of transfers ourselves. A SF or C type who can shoot and another F or G who can shoot. Bottom line is we need shooters! ;)
I think a commercial with Larry Bird in an IU uniform (with a makeover) is in order.

If TJD and Brunk are both gone we need 2 more bigs to come in and one is going to have to be starting caliber. That will leave one big and the incoming freshman for depth at the 4 and 5. We do not want to end up in the same situation as this year. I truly believe that TJD and especially Race were wore down and beat up by the end of the year.

That would move Hunter to the 3 where he belongs and let Galloway and Geronimo fight it put to be his back up. I personally like what I have seen from Geronimo so far and think he is a guy who will contribute next year.

That moves Franklin to the 2 where he belongs. Parker and Leal will back him up. Parker could also see time at the 3 and maybe even point but who knows until we see him.

Unfortunately if Parker cannot play point and I suspect he can’t, that will leave Rob and Lander to battle it out again for a starting spot. Fingers crossed for a big jump from Lander. This could be the other position we look for an impact transfer for insurance.

If (and it is a big if) we see solid jumps from Race, Hunter, Franklin, and either get Freshman+ Rob or vastly improved Lander, and Parker turns out to be solid, and the unknown transfer center can play some (or Brunk returns) we could still be a solid team next year. That is a TON of ifs though.

Reactions: MrBing
If TJD and Brunk are both gone we need 2 more bigs to come in and one is going to have to be starting caliber. That will leave one big and the incoming freshman for depth at the 4 and 5. We do not want to end up in the same situation as this year. I truly believe that TJD and especially Race were wore down and beat up by the end of the year.

That would move Hunter to the 3 where he belongs and let Galloway and Geronimo fight it put to be his back up. I personally like what I have seen from Geronimo so far and think he is a guy who will contribute next year.

That moves Franklin to the 2 where he belongs. Parker and Leal will back him up. Parker could also see time at the 3 and maybe even point but who knows until we see him.

Unfortunately if Parker cannot play point and I suspect he can’t, that will leave Rob and Lander to battle it out again for a starting spot. Fingers crossed for a big jump from Lander. This could be the other position we look for an impact transfer for insurance.

If (and it is a big if) we see solid jumps from Race, Hunter, Franklin, and either get Freshman+ Rob or vastly improved Lander, and Parker turns out to be solid, and the unknown transfer center can play some (or Brunk returns) we could still be a solid team next year. That is a TON of ifs though.

The only way Brunk doesn't come back is if his back doesn't heal up.

Parker isn't even close to a point. He's a wing all the way.

Reactions: MrBing

They did. The entire team was gassed, actually.

Reactions: Beorik
The biggest fear I have is if he comes back & is middling enough that they breathe a sigh of relief & keep him. I think it’s clear he ain’t the guy, & I was in the camp early on that he was gonna be the guy, & even thought he still might be heading into this season...
I would worry he is back.
I would not worry he has a mediocre season and is kept. He is not good enough to have a mediocre season.

Reactions: IUgradman

My guess, TJD, Race, Brunk, Durham are gone.
Strong likelihood that some combo of RP, Hunter, and at least one freshman transfer.
Only my guess. It just does not seem fun to play for Miller.

I think we have transfers whether AM stays or goes. I fear we're heading for a dumpster fire. I fear some don't want to play for him again, and some may transfer if he's fired. The free agent rule and extra year puts all programs at risk. Scholarships are not increasing, so some teams may not have room for incoming class commits. Our open scholarships may even give us some advantages, at least flexibility to take more transfers and incoming freshmen than other programs.

I think Dolson needs to come out quickly with an announcement AM is staying or that he has hired a high quality replacement.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Like I posted once before, as of 3 weeks ago Dolson was intent on bringing him back. A friend of ours asked and got a meeting with him regarding Archie concerns. Dolson said he was staying.

Things have gotten worse....but it was bad 3 weeks ago, too.

I hope Dolson rethinks that position.

Reactions: IUgradman
Like I posted once before, as of 3 weeks ago Dolson was intent on bringing him back. A friend of ours asked and got a meeting with him regarding Archie concerns. Dolson said he was staying.

Things have gotten worse....but it was bad 3 weeks ago, too.

I hope Dolson rethinks that position.
Sounds like huge inside info.

Our problem is above Archie. It’s systemic. So might as well win with him. It evidently doesn’t matter if he loses.

Others have stated the same sentiments and I have asked in the past and never really received and explanation.

What do you mean by "systemic"? Specifics would be great.

If you are speaking of the Pres, by all accounts, McRobbie does not care about athletics. If I am the AD, that is a perfect situation for me to run my department since one would assume that apathy would mean that the Pres wouldn't interfere with me.

Others have stated the same sentiments and I have asked in the past and never really received and explanation.

What do you mean by "systemic"? Specifics would be great.

If you are speaking of the Pres, by all accounts, McRobbie does not care about athletics. If I am the AD, that is a perfect situation for me to run my department since one would assume that apathy would mean that the Pres wouldn't interfere with me.
Poor athletic department leadership. Abysmal.

Pretty darn decent appraisal of the situation. 👍

When Archie is losing a bunch of games next season, I hope the fans take their shots at Scott Dolson as well. Freaking “Yes man.” We need a real President and AD.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
When Archie is losing a bunch of games next season, I hope the fans take their shots at Scott Dolson as well. Freaking “Yes man.” We need a real President and AD.

I suspect there will be many "fire dolson" chants next year. Time will tell if he comes out of his office to hear them or if he hides all season long.

My guess, TJD, Race, Brunk, Durham are gone.
Strong likelihood that some combo of RP, Hunter, and at least one freshman transfer.
Only my guess. It just does not seem fun to play for Miller.
Pure projection. I'd bet Brunk is back if his back is good because he has unfinished business at IU. I seriously doubt there will be a bunch of transfers out. I don't see the discontent (except everyone is discontented about losing) that you seem to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT