ADVERTISEMENT

Ask McCulley to switch back to QB

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Hire Carey long term. Operate that running spread option to perfection this spring. Add in the RPO.

When Dex comes back see how he plays after rehab. In the meantime, get a Dual Threat QB in the portal.

Would have been good for him to step in after Dex went down. Not after playing as a WR all season of course but if he had stayed at QB.

Reactions: IUCX9
IMHO He will be switching back to QB... at another school. How this staff bamboozled him to switch to WR in the first place is fireable in my opinion.

Reactions: IUgradman
If they can get Dexter healthy, he needs to be the starter. The kid has something, maybe the 'it' factor??

I sure wish we were able to see a bigger body of work from Dexter but Allen wasn't intelligent enough to start him sooner!

This is 100% speculation, but I’m not sure Dex will ever play again.

The rumor drifting past my seat was that it was a compound fracture of some kind. Watching live I assumed ACL, but between CTA’s comments post game that it wasn’t plus watching my DVR of him going down, it looked to me to be more toward his ankle.

If it really was a break that required internal fixation, a comeback could be iffy.

God bless that kid for hanging with the team and being a spark at the end of the year.

I hope Dex recovers and is able to play again but Allen can’t count on it and should plan accordingly. Even if Dex recovers, we haven’t seen enough of him to know he’s “the guy”, especially as a passer. Hope Allen gets 2 dual threat QBs in the portal. Need speed and quickness at the the WR spot, too.

IMHO He will be switching back to QB... at another school. How this staff bamboozled him to switch to WR in the first place is fireable in my opinion.
He asked coach Allen to switch positions. In fact he said he never wanted to play quarterback. So much for player development.

Reactions: 76-1 and Indianaftw
Two things:

1.)I’m not sure why everyone is so confident that Williams was the long term answer at QB. He did not look like a natural passer and defenses would have adjusted to our one dimensional offense. Did he give us a better chance at winning than Baz? Absolutely, but I didn’t necessarily see him leading a success B10 offense in the long run.

2.) I saw nothing from McCulley last year that would make me think he is the long term answer either. Yes, he was putting in an impossible situation, but he didnt show the intangibles that you want to see from a QB no matter what their experience level.

I’m not sure where we go from here, but I would strongly endorse the idea of scouring the portal for a true dual threat QB.

Would have been good for him to step in after Dex went down. Not after playing as a WR all season of course but if he had stayed at QB.
should have come in yesterday when dex went down. when mcculley asked to be moved to wr allen should have said no, we need you at qb. but then allen's not that smart or daring.

Two things:

1.)I’m not sure why everyone is so confident that Williams was the long term answer at QB. He did not look like a natural passer and defenses would have adjusted to our one dimensional offense. Did he give us a better chance at winning than Baz? Absolutely, but I didn’t necessarily see him leading a success B10 offense in the long run.

2.) I saw nothing from McCulley last year that would make me think he is the long term answer either. Yes, he was putting in an impossible situation, but he didnt show the intangibles that you want to see from a QB no matter what their experience level.

I’m not sure where we go from here, but I would strongly endorse the idea of scouring the portal for a true dual threat QB.
Some posters on here are practically predicting Dex gets the Heisman already. He's 13 for 38 (34%), 2 td and 2 ints, not exactly setting the world on fire. He's a running threat but any good defense can stop a running qb. He seems like a good kid and great athlete but not a dual threat.

Reactions: Cap99
Some posters on here are practically predicting Dex gets the Heisman already. He's 13 for 38 (34%), 2 td and 2 ints, not exactly setting the world on fire. He's a running threat but any good defense can stop a running qb. He seems like a good kid and great athlete but not a dual threat.
You don't need to win the Heisman to beat Purdue. And absolutely no one was predicting he was one.

Two things:

Or two

He asked coach Allen to switch positions. In fact he said he never wanted to play quarterback. So much for player development.
He said that and he wasn't just playing lip service? That makes zero sense and I don't believe it.

This is 100% speculation, but I’m not sure Dex will ever play again.

The rumor drifting past my seat was that it was a compound fracture of some kind. Watching live I assumed ACL, but between CTA’s comments post game that it wasn’t plus watching my DVR of him going down, it looked to me to be more toward his ankle.

If it really was a break that required internal fixation, a comeback could be iffy.

God bless that kid for hanging with the team and being a spark at the end of the year.
I missed when he actually went down but I thought too the amount of time and all it wasnt an ACL

Per the injury to Dez, the replay I saw looked like one of those freak Theisman leg snaps around the ankle, I do not think it was a knee injury, that’s just my prediction, no insights.

I don’t think Dez was “next Heisman winner” but he has great speed and athleticism and a lively arm that could be coached into more accuracy. I hope he can make it back again, but first priority is getting fully healed.

Reactions: ESalum86 and IU73
Per the injury to Dez, the replay I saw looked like one of those freak Theisman leg snaps around the ankle, I do not think it was a knee injury, that’s just my prediction, no insights.

I don’t think Dez was “next Heisman winner” but he has great speed and athleticism and a lively arm that could be coached into more accuracy. I hope he can make it back again, but first priority is getting fully healed.
TA said it was a knee. The air cast was also set to immobilize the knee.

Reactions: iueyedoc99

As long as our OL is as bad as it is we need a mobile QB. Bazelak/Tuttle type’s won’t get it done

He said that and he wasn't just playing lip service? That makes zero sense and I don't believe it.
This doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me either. If you’re on scholarship you work for us, not vice versa. When ARE did it it was kind of a condition of him coming back IIRC and it didn’t last beyond one game. To take a top rated kid and move him after one half season to a position with not nearly the potential impact does not reflect well on TAs decision making skills.

IU HAS to have a difference maker at QB. It’s not negotiable. People may not think they saw that in DM but show me a college team that turned their fortunes around with a dynamic WR?

Why don't you research before posting. McCulley and his father both said he always wanted to play WR. It is hard to stop a player form changing positions and it sure wasn't coach Allen's decision.

That ship has sailed. Donavan won’t be going back to QB. Ron Carey should return to OL duties. Let’s find the funds for additional ‘quality analysts’. It’s clearly a best practice that should continue to be embraced.

Two things:

Agree with #2....disagree with #1. I think he was the LT answer.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This doesn’t really make a lot of sense to me either. If you’re on scholarship you work for us, not vice versa. When ARE did it it was kind of a condition of him coming back IIRC and it didn’t last beyond one game. To take a top rated kid and move him after one half season to a position with not nearly the potential impact does not reflect well on TAs decision making skills.

IU HAS to have a difference maker at QB. It’s not negotiable. People may not think they saw that in DM but show me a college team that turned their fortunes around with a dynamic WR?
You've got to be kidding with that second paragraph. How about the team we just played? Where would they have been without Charlie Jones?

We have to wait and see what Dexter's injury is and if he can, or should, play football again. It certainly wasn't treated like a typical knee injury. It was handled more like a Mo Creek type of injury. We need to fill our QB room with players like Williams so our offense is creative and doesn't have to change when a new QB comes in.

McCulley showed promise at WR. His best bet at playing at the next level is at WR. Have you seen what has happened to IU QBs? I'd rather take my chances at WR!

Hire Carey long term. Operate that running spread option to perfection this spring. Add in the RPO.

When Dex comes back see how he plays after rehab. In the meantime, get a Dual Threat QB in the portal.
don't ask. tell. allen should have said, your're not going anywhere. this team needs you at qb. instead allen says you play whatever you want. we're going to love you no matter what. btw. how many passes did donaven catch this year.

Few people would want to play QB behind our OL. As we've seen, it's a prescription for a season ending injury coupled with regular abuse from the opposing D and yes I realize that Dexter's injury was from non-contact.

Someone could put together a short youtube video of our QBs getting abused the last several years. In fact our opponents might have done this when they compete with us for QBs on the recruiting tale. That would be rather hilarious. "Hey kid, are you sure you want to play QB at IU??? LOL. Here watch this video to see what you have to look forward to!"

don't ask. tell. allen should have said, your're not going anywhere. this team needs you at qb. instead allen says you play whatever you want. we're going to love you no matter what. btw. how many passes did donaven catch this year.
I am not sure that you understand that the athletes have all the power these days with transfer portal. If a coach tells you that you are going to play this position and the player does not like it he simply transfers out.

I am not sure that you understand that the athletes have all the power these days with transfer portal. If a coach tells you that you are going to play this position and the player does not like it he simply transfers out.
i'd say goodbye. who's running the program? the coaches or the players? the tail shouldn't be wagging the dog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT