ADVERTISEMENT

As one of the "vocal minority" that wanted change long ago, here's my initial list and thoughts

patrick593

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 12, 2007
Columbus, OH
Been thinking a lot about this since yesterday's big news.
I do commend Tom Crean for his efforts but it was clear years ago that his teams are horribly inconsistent and he'd never be the guy to "bring IU all the way back"

If Glass sat me down and had me break it down (in order) I think I'd say this:

First off, Stevens isn't an option, not worth commenting on he's said no 100 times.

1. Billy Donovan - You make the call and gauge interest. Who cares if he says no, you check. He brings instant recognition and a brand that would put him on par with Coach K, Calipari, and others. Instant impact and I think would have IU turned around in 1 year. Likely be 2-3 years before contending for championship. Would win IU a championship

2. Sean Miller - Do you want to come to the midwest? Arizona is a better job right now, but IU has a higher ceiling. Unlikely but worth a call.

3. Tony Bennett - Already shown he can recruit the state. Teams run a style IU fans would love. Disciplined, tough defense, and players develop. Would win and win for a long time at IU.

4. Gregg Marshall - I think Marshall would do well at IU. I would be concerned with him being a little too close to Crean in personality but IU fans should celebrate that if he's the hire.

5. Archie Miller - Could possibly be the best hire out there. Probably the next "best young coach". He'll be at a big school soon. May not turn around right away, but given 9 years like Crean. He has IU a perennial leader. I think it'd take a few years, but IU could get there. I worry about recruiting top level, but he's never had to, no reason he couldn't.

6. Chris Holtmann - Butler hasn't missed a step under Holtmann. If he built Butler at IU, many IU fans would rejoice... but could he knows the state. Knows the program, and could meet expectations.

7. Steve Alford - I think he comes in and recruits the state better than any coach outside Miller or Donovan. Has deep connections in state, between his dad, Ed Schilling, Kory Barnett. Instant impact in recruiting Indiana kids, but could he maintain winning without elite talent? He's proven he's inconsistent, and IU just canned a coach for that. IMO this is your fall back, but I tell him early that he's not our top choice and its because he has some warts in his past that can't be overlooked.

After that you move down the line:
Mack, Former NBA IU coaches

I don't think you get past #7 at that point. I'm not making this an Alford debate but if IU lands any of those top 6 no IU fan should be upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News