ADVERTISEMENT

Arrrrrggghhh...chortle, gasp....cough...

I'm not even going to get on them for this one. Their bracket stayed chalk and it was going to be a struggle without Haas. TT is a good team.

I'm not even going to get on them for this one. Their bracket stayed chalk and it was going to be a struggle without Haas. TT is a good team.

I suppose they should have some sort of recognition for their degree of consistency (can't bring myself to type "positive" recognition).;):D

Sucked for them to lose Haas. We hang banner #6 had Henderson not gotten injured vs Kansas back in the day. It happens. Haas had a terrific season, as did PU and I never dreamed they would have been that successful for a team with absolutely NO bench to speak of. That said, even with Haas being at full strength, I think Texas Tech's length, defense, athleticism, depth and better overall talent would have still sent them packing. Oh, and then there's "Pork Chop" Painter at the helm. It was a perfect storm for yet another Sweet 16 and out for the boys in West Laffy. I never forget that line from Denis Leary in the movie, "Judgement Night" when he and his thugs shot a dude wearing a Purdue jacket as he jumped from a moving train....."Sh!t! Hobo from Purdue. I hate Purdue! When's the last time they ever won anything, anyway?"

Reactions: 76-1
Well they have an overall winning record against Indiana.

Sucked for them to lose Haas. We hang banner #6 had Henderson not gotten injured vs Kansas back in the day. It happens. Haas had a terrific season, as did PU and I never dreamed they would have been that successful for a team with absolutely NO bench to speak of. That said, even with Haas being at full strength, I think Texas Tech's length, defense, athleticism, depth and better overall talent would have still sent them packing. Oh, and then there's "Pork Chop" Painter at the helm. It was a perfect storm for yet another Sweet 16 and out for the boys in West Laffy. I never forget that line from Denis Leary in the movie, "Judgement Night" when he and his thugs shot a dude wearing a Purdue jacket as he jumped from a moving train....."Sh!t! Hobo from Purdue. I hate Purdue! When's the last time they ever won anything, anyway?"
Purdue was among the most dangerous 3 point shooting teams in the country, if sometimes streaky. They hit 11 in a row in one game mid-season. However, they got most of their good, stand still 3 point shots off of inside out passing when their opponents doubled on Haas from the perimeter. Without Haas the post threat didn't require doubling the post and TT - long and quick - stayed out on the shooters preventing PU from getting into that game. I still think TT would have won even with PU having Haas at full strength - they are so quick and run without the ball to get to the offensive board for easy put backs. TT's achilles heel is at the foul line. But, TT is a much better team than anyone has given them credit. They lost 4 games in a row with Keenan Evens completely ineffective due to a toe injury - didn't play a single useful minute during that period. When he became effective again, you've seen what they become. They are very well coached. VERY!

Well they have an overall winning record against Indiana.

Yep! Can't dispute that fact. Something like 118-89 in the series. Many on the basketball board stressed that a large number of those wins were pre-WW II or around that period. Whatever, it's a meaningless argument. Rivalries bring out players best effort. Some of the most enjoyable games occurred during the Knight/Keady tenure. Keady could flat out coach and PU managed to win most of those games with obviously less talent. Love the rivalry!

Yep! Can't dispute that fact. Something like 118-89 in the series. Many on the basketball board stressed that a large number of those wins were pre-WW II or around that period. Whatever, it's a meaningless argument. Rivalries bring out players best effort. Some of the most enjoyable games occurred during the Knight/Keady tenure. Keady could flat out coach and PU managed to win most of those games with obviously less talent. Love the rivalry!
Terhune is an even smaller town than Ladoga

Terhune is an even smaller town than Ladoga

FWIW, I'm not from Terhune and had never knew of its existence until I watched the movie, "Hoosiers" and then decided to use it in my handle for the board. Honestly, I thought they were substituting the word "Terhune" for "Terre Haute" which is where I'm from. Call me a fool, but you learn something everyday. I have a long time friend from Crawfordsville who now lives in Brazil and we used to laugh at all the nicknames from the long list of now defunct small high schools who met their demise via consolidation. Ladoga (the Canners) was among a few he mentioned (New Market Purple Flyers....Waveland Waves....and of course, the Bainbridge Pointers). Loved the small schools! I attended West Vigo and the four schools which closed their doors in '60 to form it were the Concannon Cannons, Consolidated Anchors, Fayette Falcons and the (Wabash) Valley Bobcats located across the river in West Terre Haute. Great memories! Getting way off the OP's topic, but speaking of Terhune, in the movie, "Hoosiers," the old truck seen parked on the street (when Coach Dale arrived in town) belongs to a good friend and former high school classmate who resides in the Terhune area now. He owns a bunch of restored vehicles. He didn't state the amount, but I'll bet he may have gotten a pretty penny for its usage in the film.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladoga and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT