ADVERTISEMENT

Armrest Etiquette

It’s a problem for normal sized people. Petites are probably fine.
This is not accuarate.

Reclined seats get into the tray table/gut area. Legs don't come into play unless you are tall...and i mean over 6'3".

This is why I recline on takeoff...nobody gets hurt.

Now, if you are 6'5" sitting behind me...I would not recline out of courtesy.

Your answer is to sit in the exit aisle...more leg room, the seats in front of you don't recline and you get out before the fire spreads.

Reactions: 76-1
This is not accuarate.

Reclined seats get into the tray table/gut area. Legs don't come into play unless you are tall...and i mean over 6'3".

This is why I recline on takeoff...nobody gets hurt.

Now, if you are 6'5" sitting behind me...I would not recline out of courtesy.

Your answer is to sit in the exit aisle...more leg room, the seats in front of you don't recline and you get out before the fire spreads.
The bigger question here is why do the max recliners need to make themselves feel better about it. They know it makes a large percentage of passengers less comfortable, but rather than acknowledging it, they argue.

If you’re seated in front of me, go ahead and max recline, but you’re going to feel my presence ... a lot.

The bigger question here is why do the max recliners need to make themselves feel better about it. They know it makes a large percentage of passengers less comfortable, but rather than acknowledging it, they argue.

If you’re seated in front of me, go ahead and max recline, but you’re going to feel my presence ... a lot.
You seem like an angry guy...have we seen you on Twitter videos fighting?

So far i have only stated my position and corrected misstatements from others.

This feels somehow familiar...aren't you the one that tried to claim that Woodson using the portal in a coaching change was somehow the same as what Cal has done at KY? Something dumb like that as i recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You seem like an angry guy...have we seen you on Twitter videos fighting?

So far i have only stated my position and corrected misstatements from others.

This feels somehow familiar...aren't you the one that tried to claim that Woodson using the portal in a coaching change was somehow the same as what Cal has done at KY? Something dumb like that as i recall.
No and no.

I don't like it too much behind a max recliner, but as far as I know, you pay for the seat and so you control the seat you bought.

I have never had a battle for an armrest, but I guess I don't use the armrest much. I pick the aisle, near the back. When I have had to travel for expert witness consulting I ask for 1st class. When I travel for work to scientific conferences it is most often funded by federal grants and so it has to be coach. I always work to get the best deal to conserve my grant funding dollars.

Best experience was flying NYC to Seoul on Korean Airlines. I booked coach, but my flight got changed by the airline to add a layover in Shanghai. Without asking, due to the inconvenience, on the NYC to/from Shanghai long leg they gave me a business class sleeper pod, a full flat cushioned compartment, good entertainment, plenty of food and booze. That's the way to fly!

Airline status generally gets you what you want. Bulkhead aisle is generally my seat of choice unless of course the upgrade comes through.

I just started flying again in May.
No airlines normally get you whatever you'll pay for. :) We made reservations to fly to Dallas on American at the end of Jan and could only get seats together going one way. I wish I could treat those people the same way they treat everyone. If I could every time they went shopping I get them for cash register fee, a kart fee, and any other fee that I could think of.

I can't believe that airlines don't charge for armrests.
Hope they don't read this and start charging...Pretty soon they'll charge for the air we breathe. Get a ticket for $200 and after all the addons it's $400.

No airlines normally get you whatever you'll pay for. :) We made reservations to fly to Dallas on American at the end of Jan and could only get seats together going one way. I wish I could treat those people the same way they treat everyone. If I could every time they went shopping I get them for cash register fee, a kart fee, and any other fee that I could think of.
Like the ticket scalpers...a "Convenience Fee"

911 ruined air travel...then it went downhill.

Reactions: 76-1 and NPT

Center seat in coach always...ALWAYS gets armrest option. Use it, share it...whatever...their choice.

Always

Center seat in coach always...ALWAYS gets armrest option. Use it, share it...whatever...their choice.

Always

why? It means they bought the cheapest ticket

I like to think of myself as above your one-way feuds. It’s not a high standard, and, yet, here I am not meeting it. Tah, Chach.
No feud...simple questions that you seem to be struggling with. I had higher expectations of you at one point but I see the gutter you have chosen.

Are you the troll who joins twice a week to "like" my posts?

Welcome to the troll list.

Last edited:
When you recline, you steal the leg room I paid for. Every airline publishes leg room. None of them qualify that with “unless the asshole in front of you max reclines”.

any leg room you purchase ends at the back of seat in front of you, whether upright or reclined.

at that point, that's space they've paid for that you're trying to infringe upon.

sensible airline regulation could help solve this and other issues, so again, take it up with your elected legislators if you think the airlines don't give you enough room.

they didn't reduce leg space to make air travel more affordable. (which it didn't).

they did it to make it more profitable. (which it did).

any leg room you purchase ends at the back of seat in front of you, whether upright or reclined.

at that point, that's space they've paid for that you're trying to infringe upon.

sensible airline regulation could help solve this and other issues, so again, take it up with your elected legislators if you think the airlines don't give you enough room.

they didn't reduce leg space to make air travel more affordable. (which it didn't).

What you are saying here is correct. The fallacy here among a couple of posters is that the reclined seat cuts into leg room. It actually cuts into the tray table gut area.

I'm not part of this argument but I'll be the first to admit I don't like for the person in front of me leaning their seat back because it fills like I am so enclosed. I have never and never will lean my seat back unless it's an overseas flight where there's a lot more room (at least the last time I flew overseas there was). I do feel like I am invading the person's space seated behind me, What's even worse is to get a kid behind you constantly kicking your seat and the parents don't stop them. (NOTE: I am not arguing... just stating how I feel)

On a side note I wish they would measure on-time performance by when they push away from the gate. Just look at what the airlines do... on a 2 hour flight they allow a lot more time than needed. About the only thing the airlines can control is when they push away from the gate. After that it's up to other people.

I'm not part of this argument but I'll be the first to admit I don't like for the person in front of me leaning their seat back because it fills like I am so enclosed. I have never and never will lean my seat back unless it's an overseas flight where there's a lot more room (at least the last time I flew overseas there was). I do feel like I am invading the person's space seated behind me, What's even worse is to get a kid behind you constantly kicking your seat and the parents don't stop them. (NOTE: I am not arguing... just stating how I feel)

On a side note I wish they would measure on-time performance by when they push away from the gate. Just look at what the airlines do... on a 2 hour flight they allow a lot more time than needed. About the only thing the airlines can control is when they push away from the gate. After that it's up to other people.
I learned long ago that "departure time" is actually "pushback time" which is often not "departure time"

Well, if, as the flight begins, I establish my knees in front of me in a normal sitting position, then you recline onto my knees during the flight, whose space was it? Mine because my legs were there first or yours because you decided to max recline?

I learned long ago that "departure time" is actually "pushback time" which is often not "departure time"
That is true and that's about the only the airlines can control. They now measure by the arrival time so the airlines put a buffer in there to allow for leaving late. If they measured it by pushback time then you really know how the airlines are doing. I've had the first flight out of Indy before and they can manage to leave late. :)

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

I should add that the airlines are at fault because they are double dipping. They’re selling you a seat that reclines into a space they sold to me as leg room. They’re selling that space to two people, but onLy one of us can use it comfortably.

I should add that the airlines are at fault because they are double dipping. They’re selling you a seat that reclines into a space they sold to me as leg room. They’re selling that space to two people, but onLy one of us can use it comfortably.

perhaps if you could produce the contract where the airlines sold you said leg room, so we could know the specifics, we could litigate this actually knowing the facts of the case.

me thinks you are self defining what exactly they did and didn't sell you, and possibly not accurately doing so.

i'll await those contractual details.

perhaps if you could produce the contract where the airlines sold you said leg room, so we could know the specifics, we could litigate this actually knowing the facts of the case.

me thinks you are self defining what exactly they did and didn't sell you, and possibly not accurately doing so.

i'll await those contractual details.
It’s an implied fitness for use. They obviously sold me something, a license to temporarily use a seat. That implies I am allowed to use the seat in the conventional fashion, i.e. with my knees in front of me, not splayed like some two bit back alley pro. At the same time, they sold you a seat that can be placed into a position that infringes on my ability to use my seat in the conventional manner. Ergo, the airline is double dipping on that space.

It’s an implied fitness for use. They obviously sold me something, a license to temporarily use a seat. That implies I am allowed to use the seat in the conventional fashion, i.e. with my knees in front of me, not splayed like some two bit back alley pro. At the same time, they sold you a seat that can be placed into a position that infringes on my ability to use my seat in the conventional manner. Ergo, the airline is double dipping on that space.

Just wait until the airlines announce you must sit in a lotus position. . .

Think of all the extra rows.

no one is disputing they sold you a seat.

you are stating you purchased additional leg room as well.

we need the details on the additional legroom you purchased before we can rule on the matter.

no doubt you have said details, since they are the entire crux of your argument.

that said, exactly how does this extra legroom purchase thing work.

if you buy the extra legroom option, are they supposed to move the seat in front of you forward, or do they just take it out altogether?

or do they just move your seat back some?

sorry, i guess i just don't know how this extra legroom option thing works.

Last edited:
no one is disputing they sold you a seat.

you are stating you purchased additional leg room as well.

we need the details on the additional legroom you purchased before we can rule on the matter.

no doubt you have said details, since they are the entire crux of your argument.
That’s not what I argued at all. However, on many, if not all, international flights, there are classes of seats available for purchase. Each of these is advertised as providing a specific amount of leg room. When you purchase your ticket, the class is listed on said ticket. Therefore, it is, at the very least, implied that you are entitled to that space.

In the end, in practice, it’s all about how big an asshole you want to be. Do you want to be a big asshole who max reclines onto my knees. Or, do you want to be a tiny asshole who stops her recline short of my knees? It’s always the recliner’s choice.

Last edited:
That reminded me of this...

25ca359ea99452acdc7d844473c677a1.jpg

How long till we're just standing like a damn subway train.

i assure you the airlines are lobbying for this as we speak.

probably just need to tweak some FAA rules regarding standing on flights.

look for some new BMWs and Lexuses in the Capital Hill parking lot soon.

i think the current rule of thumb is 7 new luxury autos in the Capital Hill lot for every additional row per flight they are allowed to add.

allowing standing room might just bring some Teslas, a Land Rover or two, and a maybe Lamborginis, for those lucky enough to be on the Transportation committee.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT