ADVERTISEMENT

Armrest Etiquette

I’ve done a lot of flying and I always prefer the aisle seat. I’ve not had to fight anyone sitting next to me - yet. ;)
Airline status generally gets you what you want. Bulkhead aisle is generally my seat of choice unless of course the upgrade comes through.

I just started flying again in May.

I always pick an aisle seat in the back 3 rows. If there's a few empty seats in the plane, they will be back there. Helps me avoid the fat asses like DANC cramming their flesh into you. So what if you sit on the plane a few minutes more to get off. If you have bags checked, getting off sooner just makes you give back all of those precious minutes that you think you have gained.

Reactions: bwcoach
Airline status generally gets you what you want. Bulkhead aisle is generally my seat of choice unless of course the upgrade comes through.

I just started flying again in May.
We fly first always so our status doesn’t do much except for the lounges on international flights, etc.

With the lower prices up until recently, first has been a drag because hillbillies like you getting drunk at 9am because it’s free. Also the prepackaged turkey sandwich or cheese plate sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
We fly first always so our status doesn’t do much except for the lounges on international flights, etc.

With the lower prices up until recently, first has been a drag because hillbillies like you getting drunk at 9am because it’s free. Also the prepackaged turkey sandwich or cheese plate sucks.
B...B..B...Bwa...Bwa...Bwahahahahahahahaha!

You bet Cletus.

"Clean up in Aisle 4"

Reactions: Stay Classy Ace
I always pick an aisle seat in the back 3 rows. If there's a few empty seats in the plane, they will be back there. Helps me avoid the fat asses like DANC cramming their flesh into you. So what if you sit on the plane a few minutes more to get off. If you have bags checked, getting off sooner just makes you give back all of those precious minutes that you think you have gained.
The back smells like latrine, is loud and bumpier than the front. Plus whenever The Vid actually makes it on a plane, he will be back there fighting over not wearing a mask.

The only issue with the bulkhead is that if you don't get on by Group 3 (on AA) the overhead might be stolen by some asshat sitting further back and your shit gotta go up when sitting in that row.

this is all the fault of the carriers themselves.

these fights are inevitable as long as there are no rules, and not exactly rocket science how to fix the problem.

just have the carriers officially designate which seat has sovereignty over which armrest, and the ability to recline or not recline.

and post said jurisdictions right on the seats..

that way whenever a dispute arises, just call for the attendant to officiate who has jurisdiction over the armrest or recline option.

this is all the fault of the carriers themselves.

these fights are inevitable as long as there are no rules, and not exactly rocket science how to fix the problem.

just have the carriers officially designate which seat has sovereignty over which armrest, and the ability to recline or not recline.

and post said jurisdictions right on the seats..

that way whenever a dispute arises, just call for the attendant to officiate who has jurisdiction over the armrest or recline option.
I think fighting over armrests is a new phenomenon. Like i say, for the thirty years i have been flying regularly...the middle seat get the option.

The other thing they can do is allow paeesnges to "call it"

As far as reclining...my seat goes back before the landing gear is in the well.

I feel badly for the flight attendants. First the airlines start charging for bags forcing the FAs to become baggage handlers and overhead bin referees. Now they are mask police for beligerant rednecks. They should have tasers.

Reactions: Bill4411
There is a circle of hell just for you. That you know it and disregard it like a madman earns some modicum of respect from me.

There is a circle of hell just for you. That you know it and disregard it like a madman earns some modicum of respect from me.
The tactic works because at that point the person behind me is still 2Gs into his seat on takoff. He never knew what happened.

When you do it later and it jams his laptop into his gut is when they whine.

If the animal in front of me is bold enough to recline its seat, I’m bold enough to make it the most uncomfortable flight it has ever enjoyed.
"Bold"?? Have you ever flown? Most seats are reclined and no one has ever acted out to me. You must have a lot of hissy fits.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I think fighting over armrests is a new phenomenon. Like i say, for the thirty years i have been flying regularly...the middle seat get the option.

The other thing they can do is allow paeesnges to "call it"

I feel badly for the flight attendants. First the airlines start charging for bags forcing the FAs to become baggage handlers and overhead bin referees. Now they are mask police for beligerant rednecks. They should have tasers.

regardless, while something like "flip it" or middle seat tradition works fine when neighbors are agreeable, such fixes are worthless when they are not.

that's why the carriers need to assign an ultimate jurisdiction resolution to each armrest for when there are disputes, and post so, because there will always be those who believe in claiming all they can for themselves and putting the onus on others to stop them.

same with recline, with the obvious solution being you have ultimate jurisdiction over your seat when there is a dispute, since the behind you seat trying to claim jurisdiction over your recline option means they are claiming jurisdiction over both your seat and theirs..

passengers are free to decide such things between themselves as long they can agreeably, but there needs to be a set rule for when they are not.

both passengers being removed in a heated disagreement over such shouldn't happen when ultimate jurisdiction rules are in place.

"Bold"?? Have you ever flown? Most seats are reclined and no one has ever acted out to me. You must have a lot of hissy fits.
Listen, it’s simple. I have no problem with you reclining on me knees if you have no problem with my knees in your back. No one has lasted more than 5 minutes. I take that back. One grease ball lasted longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
Listen, it’s simple. I have no problem with you reclining on me knees if you have no problem with my knees in your back. No one has lasted more than 5 minutes.

never had a problem on a flight, but if confronted with an asshole like you who tries to claim jurisdiction over my seat as well as yours, i guarantee you your knees will give out before i do.

if you're too big for the allotted space, which is entirely possible, take it up with the airlines and your legislators.

Last edited:
never had a problem on a flight, but if confronted with an asshole like you who tries to claim jurisdiction over my seat as well as yours, i guarantee you your knees will give out before i do.
It’s you reclining into my leg room, not the other way around. Like I said, if you don’t give a ****, I don’t give a ****.

It’s you reclining into my leg room, not the other way around. Like I said, if you don’t give a ****, I don’t give a ****.

your wanting to claim that space as yours, doesn't make it so.

like i said, if you're too big for the allotted space, which is entirely possible, take it up with the airlines or your legislators.

your wanting to claim that space as yours, doesn't make it so.

like i said, if you're too big for the allotted space, which is entirely possible, take it up with the airlines or your legislators.
You’re wrong, dude. The airline sells seats by leg room, not recline room.

No, passengers can pay for additional leg room.

you're an idiot.

carriers don't sell you the recline option for the seat in front of yours, no matter how much you want to tell yourself they did.

if you want to negotiate a price for that, feel free to make the person in front of you a monetary offer, but absent their taking you up on said offer, the option remains theirs, not yours.

you're an idiot.

carriers don't sell you the recline option for the seat in front of yours, no matter how much you want to tell yourself they did.

if you want to negotiate a price for that, feel free to make the person in front of you a monetary offer, but absent their taking you up on said offer, the option remains theirs, not yours.
You’re right. They don’t sell recline. They sell leg room. It’s done by most carriers, maybe not the ones you fly.

You’re right. They don’t sell recline. They sell leg room. It’s done by most carriers, maybe not the ones you fly.

and buying leg room doesn't also include buying someone else's recline option, which you already knew.

thus you're just trolling and self rationalizing at this point, which you also already knew..

and buying leg room doesn't also include buying someone else's recline option, which you already knew.

thus you're just trolling and self rationalizing at this point, which you also already knew..
When you recline, you steal the leg room I paid for. Every airline publishes leg room. None of them qualify that with “unless the asshole in front of you max reclines”.

When you recline, you steal the leg room I paid for. Every airline publishes leg room. None of them qualify that with “unless the asshole in front of you max reclines”.
If you really "paid for" the right to keep someone from reclining the one-quarter of an inch or however much those cheap, filthy vertical seats actually move into your bubble, I guess you won't need one of these:

If you really "paid for" the right to keep someone from reclining the one-quarter of an inch or however much those cheap, filthy vertical seats actually move into your bubble, I guess you won't need one of these:

You’re missing the point. I don’t prevent anyone from reclining. I place my legs in front of me in a normal sitting position. If a passenger reclines onto my knees, she is encroaching on my space, not the other way around. It’s her choice whether she wants my knees in the small of her back.

Last edited:
You’re wrong, dude. The airline sells seats by leg room, not recline room.
???
I’ve never had a problem with reclining my seat, nor having the seat in front of me reclined, even on crazy long flights where the seats recline significantly further back. Seats hardly move now anyway. This is a phenomenon similar to the toilet seat controversy.

???
I’ve never had a problem with reclining my seat, nor having the seat in front of me reclined, even on crazy long flights where the seats recline significantly further back. Seats hardly move now anyway. This is a phenomenon similar to the toilet seat controversy.
It’s a problem for normal sized people. Petites are probably fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT