ADVERTISEMENT

Are you rooting for IU to win tonight...Yes, No, Don't Care*

Tom Crean and Co has turned many of us into casual fans.

It's simply not worth getting upset about. We have better things to do, other things that make us happier. I still like seeing IU win, but I'm not investing my time into watch a crap product.

Of course he's still a fan. He still cares since he wants a change. He still posts.

I still want Stevens. I want him bad. But there are other coaches

that I think can succeed here. If you can get Gregg Marshall now, then you make the move now.

Make Stevens turn you down. Go at him with your ultimate best package and do not mess around. Let's see if he wants this job. If he doesn't, he may never get it again.

that's complete horse$hit

you can make yourself sound more important than you are all that you want, but you and I know that's complete horseshit.

As long as it stays the status quo.....

....we're all getting F'd.

....with a splintered wooden post...dipped in lemon juice....

Yeah, one can draw a triangle...

From Phoenix to LA to San Diego and back to Phoenix for all the talent he'll ever need.

They'd certainly make him turn us down.

No question he'd be at the top of the list. But honestly, I'm not sure he feels like (from interviews, word of mouth, etc) now is a good time nor would the circumstances be to his liking long term if it was after this season. Of course, I really have no idea (though I know people that know him from Zionsville and how he thinks). I could be completely wrong.

Marshall would be a nice get too...I'd be pretty happy with that. But not nearly as excited as I would be for Stevens. He's a fantastic coach, he's had proven success on the national level, and he knows/is from Indiana. The timing needs to be right, but it'd be a perfect match IMO.

I don't want to miss on Stevens, so if it takes another year of Crean and Yogi to get there...I can deal with that. I want the timing to be right...so many times, we've just missed on big time coaches because the timing wasn't right. Wait to get the right guy this time.

This post was edited on 3/13 11:00 AM by Gergs

I hate to see IU lose & they lose more with Crean than with any

other coach in my lifetime so I can't support that. I hope we win some games so he can get another big contract. Sucker another school for a 5-6 year deal.

Did we even try though?

That is what troubles me. I heard we didn't even try to attempt to match what the Sun Devils were promising.

That's not what he said either...

He didn't say he was "happy when we played stupidly" and he didn't say that "he didn't care if we lost" either.

He's saying that he's pleased when he sees good play, whether that good play comes from IU or not. It seems he's happy watching IU win with good play, but isn't upset (or is indifferent) when they lose with bad play. When IU plays badly, he gets some value, as a fan of basketball in general, from seeing smart teams take advantage of IU's stupid play.

I'm almost in the same boat with FL. I get some enjoyment out of each IU win, regardless of how they play, but I get very little enjoyment watching IU and Tom Crean as an objective fan of basketball in general (edit: It actually feels like a chore to watch this team play). I don't really feel much of anything when IU plays poorly and loses. Basically, I'm getting close to complete apathy for IU basketball after never missing a single game in my life through the beginning of last season.

I'll always get some enjoyment from IU's success, but I'm not going to waste much more of my time watching or spending money on a CTC-led team that I have little respect for. I'm certainly not going to let such a poor coach and product create stress and negativity in my life. IU needs to earn back some the respect they have lost from lifelong fans like me.

This post was edited on 3/13 11:07 AM by booyah31183

Probably best to assume that we didn't try. At all.

Really?? What is wrong with you? You're weird. "Troubled" by your assumptions based in zero knowledge.

No, dummy. I'm a fan of Indiana basketball. I'm not a fan of Tom Crean

or the half-@ssed piece of shit product he puts on the floor.

Since, for the time, Indiana basketball and Tom Crean are intrinsically linked together, it lessens my enjoyment of Indiana basketball to the point that I don't really care all that much to make time to watch the games or if we ultimately win or lose.

Then he'll be coaching the Pacers until he leaves for another

NBA town. Unless the guy is Greg Popavich and the Pacers get really, really lucky with drafting (like the Spurs did with the Robinson injury), Stevens won't last that much longer than Vogel has.

Meanwhile, i'm hoping that Gregg Marshall is down in Bloomington doing what he's always done, which is win a ton of games.

No, dummy. I said...

I also am pleased when the other team takes advantage of IU's rampant stupidity.

That does not mean I am pleased when IU plays poorly. Quite the opposite, actually. It does mean I find some cosmic basketball justice in the other team taking Crean's half-@ssed basketball philosophy and coaching and shoving it up his @ss.

Fred Glass and the Administration to me is like IU Football

I'll celebrate after it's all done. No more hoping that the right thing will happen. I'm not falling for this trick again.

I'd like to think that Glass and IU would not mess around and would hit Stevens the right way. But I'm not confident. I also still think that you don't wait around for Stevens, even if it might (might) be only for one year. If we did not have any other excellent options, then you wait. But if a Gregg Marshall is available, then you take him now.

At least I can count on reasoned argument not 4th grade name calling.

thanks though!

Sorry, this "dummy" read "largely don't care" and inferred that he

didnt care. What a maroon I am for reading the words "don't care" and thinking he didn't care. God I wish I weren't so dumb.

Just because you have bitch tits doesn't mean you have to be a bitch.

Some of us have watched and supported Indiana basketball for decades. Some of us are tired of AD's that accept mediocrity.

It is that simple.

I gave you both. I'm a people pleaser.

you're welcome!

That is what you're saying though.

You didn't use the words, "true fan," but that's what any reader will take from your post.

You've been around a long time. FL has been around a long time. You should know better than to say he's somehow not a fan of IU. I think it's a safe assumption that every one of us that posts on this board a lot is a fan of IU. People may be fans to a varying degree, but we're all fans here.

I heard it from someone in the athletics office. I don't know crossfire

but I don't think he works there.

That's great! Has absolutely nothing to do with my post or larger point.

Yoi can be tired of the AD and coach and even think both ought to be fired and ALSO be on tender hooks watching each and every game and care terribly about the outcome.

What has become tiresome to me, is that the ACT of caring, or worse, declaring publicly that you want the team to win, has become a de facto declaration that you love Glass and Crean and everything else about the state of things, in the eyes of many. My point is that this is nonsense.

There's a reason the Big Ten went so long putting a team in the CWS.

Most players historically want to play in the south. Tracy Smith knows this. Smith leaving IU for greener (warmer) pastures is a no-brainer.

Better money, better facilities, easier to recruit.

Smith leaving IU for ASU is like a coach leaving Murray St to go to Indiana to coach basketball. A hard job to turn down.

1. Stop apologizing. This is the OTF.

2. He never said that he's happy when IU plays stupidly. Not even close.

3. I didn't call you a dummy. Maybe I should have. Dummy.

Being a fan doesn't mean supporting a chitty coach.....

in my mind that is the worst fan of all. I care more about IU winning at the level they are capable of doing with a good coach.

Of all people, I would think you would not be into blind faith.

There is no team and never will be a team that I will support just because they have a name on the front.

I guess you loved the Sampson era and would have no problem bringing him back He's a far better coach then Crean and if he's IU's coach then he must be awesome.

Fans that support the program because it says Indiana, are the fans that hurt the program the most. There is no chance that Crean is the long term solution, so people like you are just prolonging chitty basketball because IU hired an average coach.

I want IU to be a top 5 program, you want to run around and be a cheerleader.

So "pleased" don't mean happy and "don't care" doesn't mean

doesn't care.

Thank God we got that cleared up. I guess the "dummy" posts really mean "you're an incredibly smart person".

Good thing I identify as fat, since that means I'm slender.

What is the scoop on Ben Howland?

I thought he was shady somehow, but can't find anything confirming, just that fans didn't like his style of basketball and Pauley was empty.

You played the "you're not a real fan" card.

I grew up watching smart basketball, and I miss it. The current IU team embodies several characteristics I hate about college basketball today: selfish play (at times), no awareness, stupidity, no accountability, off the court issues, etc etc etc.

I get no enjoyment out of watching Tommy Ball. None. Why watch something that sucks? Do I get KARMA fan points for sitting through 2+ hours of ineptitude? Do I get discounts at Big Red Liquors and a local booth for not missing a game?

No, all I get is frustrated at the Napoleonic, orange shithead who couldn't coach a HS team taking an oompa loompa dump all over a program I grew up loving.

I'm not going to subject myself to that, or support a program that lets 5 players get in trouble in the off-season, or a coach who runs off kids to free up more scholarships for players that he plays WALK ONS in front of. I've had it, I'm done.

If that makes me a bad fan, so f-ing what.

The needs of the many [games] far outweigh the needs of the few [games].

Remember the Prime Directive.

You just broke the straw man mold. Now I want Sampson back because

I want the team to win tonight. Sure, why not?

I guess it's a fundamental disagreement on what the definition of "supporting the program" means.

I want IU to win every game it plays. I care if we win or lose. When we were 10-20, i cared about the BTT games and hoped we made miracle runs. EVERY TIME.

I don't care if others don't, or are able to turn that off until the right person is in charge of the team. And yes, I make a LARGE distinction between Crean and Sampson, even if I think Crean isn't the best man for this job.

What I take issue with is the fact that the fact I want the team to win is somehow set as an example of something that hurts the program. That's complete bullsh#t.

No doubt the NCAA Tournament is way more fun with the Hoosiers

so I'm hoping they win.

Sadly, I'm resigned to the fact that Crean is back next year no matter what. Next years team will be similar to this one and the same conversation can't happen three years in a row without him being removed.

Let Brad lose some more in Boston and hopefully he'll be longing for his Indiana home soon enough.

You didn't use the word true fan, but everything you wrote.....

leads any reasonably intelligent person to the same meaning.

Whether you said it or not is irrelevant.

I get it, you will support shitty basketball if it says Indiana on it.

I say that people like you are killing IU BB because you want to be a cheerleader.

Put on a cheerleading outfit and run around and do leg kicks, but stop f-ing up the only sports team I really give a shit about.

Tom Crean is embarrassing on and off the court and his departure will make me happier then Sampsons. Call me a bad fan, but I want a championship not a joke of a head coach that I find embarrassing.

No I didn't, I said you're not a fan, period. The post said that he treats

watching an IU game like watching any other game....That is the DICTIONARY DEFINITION of not being a fan.

It's amazing pointing that out led to a barrage of defensive, name calling posts. Guess I touched the right nerve.

IMO....

anything that keeps Crean at IU hurts the program unless you are satisfied with the results.

You either want a top program or not. You can't have it both ways.

I would rather IU go 0-30 and get rid of Crean then go 20-11 and keep him around.

Why? Because I want IU to be a top 5 school. I want them to be the best. Call me a bad fan for wanting IU to be top 5 if you want, but don't pretend you are a good fan for supporting complete dogshit basketball.

I still say it peopel like you that hurt the program in the long term.

Now get you cheerleader outfit on, but please post no pics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT