ADVERTISEMENT

Are we still congratulating Australia?

SoccerSammy

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2012
What did locking down their population for 17 months accomplish? At least we’re well on our way to herd immunity. Australia is now the USA in March 2020…. Guess nobody will be going Down Under for a few years…

What did locking down their population for 17 months accomplish? At least we’re well on our way to herd immunity. Australia is now the USA in March 2020…. Guess nobody will be going Down Under for a few years…
Can't really respond since there is no link to explain what your post means. Is Australia worse off than Sweden which didn't lockdown, is no better off economically than neighbors like Denmark, Finland, etc and also has a death rate at least 3x worse than those same neighbors?

"Months before the first COVID-19 cases were detected, public-health experts ranked Sweden as one of the most prepared countries to handle a pandemic. But in March 2020, Swedish health authorities surprised the world with their unorthodox approach: Rather than locking down and requiring masks, as many countries did, Sweden let residents decide individually whether to take those precautions.

The gamble, Swedish authorities predicted, would pay off in the long run. Ideally, vulnerable people would choose to stay home, the economy wouldn't suffer too much, and healthy people might get mild COVID-19 cases that ultimately contributed to the population's collective immunity.

But a year and a half into the pandemic, it's clear that bet was wrong."

"Sweden has recorded more COVID-19 cases per capita than most countries so far: Since the start of the pandemic, roughly 11 out of every 100 people in Sweden have been diagnosed with COVID-19, compared with 9.4 out of every 100 in the UK and 7.4 per 100 in Italy. Sweden has also recorded around 145 COVID-19 deaths for every 100,000 people — around three times more than Denmark, eight times more than Finland, and nearly 10 times more than Norway."

So do you feel we should be congratulating and emulating Sweden?

RE Australia
The Delta variant is a bitch and there is this tidbit……
As of Saturday, just 22.6% of Australia's population of 25 million people have been fully vaccinated -- well below the UK's 60.6%, or 50.7% in the US.

RE Australia
As of Saturday, just 22.6% of Australia's population of 25 million people have been fully vaccinated -- well below the UK's 60.6%, or 50.7% in the US.
i have a couple of buddies living over there. last we talked they said there was some reluctance due to side effects but the biggest issue was that they were waiting for other vaccines to arrive. i can't remember what one was readily available, but many people didn't want it

i have a couple of buddies living over there. last we talked they said there was some reluctance due to side effects but the biggest issue was that they were waiting for other vaccines to arrive. i can't remember what one was readily available, but many people didn't want it
I also have a buddy there (Sydney) and he just got his second shot a week ago. He texted me several times that the issue was a poor rollout, limited availability and for a while they were delaying people’s ability to get a second shot in order for more people to get their first (he has said that policy has subsequently been dropped).

I also have a buddy there (Sydney) and he just got his second shot a week ago. He texted me several times that the issue was a poor rollout, limited availability and for a while they were delaying people’s ability to get a second shot in order for more people to get their first (he has said that policy has subsequently been dropped).
For sure. My friends are in Melbourne, Victoria. Lots of lockdowns there

For sure. My friends are in Melbourne, Victoria. Lots of lockdowns there
Hopefully we will be able to visit our friends in both Melbourne and Sydney at some point (although the length of the flight would be a royal pain)

I have a few friends over there as well. The lockdown measures they’ve taken are pretty crushing they said. When they shut down, youre only allowed to leave the house for one hour, and you have to wear masks outdoors. If you dont, there are pretty hefty fines. Also, you are only allowed to travel no more than 5k from your home. again, hefty fines if you are caught doing otherwise. The borders between their states were closed. Might not seem like a huge deal bc their states are so large, but there are a few towns right on the border and youre not allowed to cross those either. Highways were closed for interstate travel. All of this was during their first big lockdown, and my pals were all really bummed out by it all. I’m unsure if all these rules are in place again with their new lockdown.

This isnt even mentioning the prohibitive quarantine for anyone arriving into the country. 14 days forced stay in a specific hotel, on your dime. not allowed to leave the hotel room. this includes people who are vaccinated. Its possible that the 14 days stay has been reduced now. too lazy to look it up.

They had a music festival recently in Byron Bay called Blues fest. Its massive. All these bands flew in to play, and some came from outside the country, pretty sure. anyway, the night before the show, they tested everyone, including all the concert goers. ONE person tested positive, and they cancelled the whole festival on the spot, the night before. There was no insurance for the performers or promoters to fall back on.

Can't really respond since there is no link to explain what your post means. Is Australia worse off than Sweden which didn't lockdown, is no better off economically than neighbors like Denmark, Finland, etc and also has a death rate at least 3x worse than those same neighbors?

"Months before the first COVID-19 cases were detected, public-health experts ranked Sweden as one of the most prepared countries to handle a pandemic. But in March 2020, Swedish health authorities surprised the world with their unorthodox approach: Rather than locking down and requiring masks, as many countries did, Sweden let residents decide individually whether to take those precautions.

The gamble, Swedish authorities predicted, would pay off in the long run. Ideally, vulnerable people would choose to stay home, the economy wouldn't suffer too much, and healthy people might get mild COVID-19 cases that ultimately contributed to the population's collective immunity.

"Sweden has recorded more COVID-19 cases per capita than most countries so far: Since the start of the pandemic, roughly 11 out of every 100 people in Sweden have been diagnosed with COVID-19, compared with 9.4 out of every 100 in the UK and 7.4 per 100 in Italy. Sweden has also recorded around 145 COVID-19 deaths for every 100,000 people — around three times more than Denmark, eight times more than Finland, and nearly 10 times more than Norway."

It sucks everywhere. The countries and states that let their citizens LIVE are
The ones to emulate. I’m not always proud to live in Georgia but I’m proud of Kemp for refusing to cave to peer pressure

Aww crikey!

RE Australia
25% of the total covid deaths here in SG has come in the last four weeks -- all from the delta variant aka Modi Mutation.

Definitely! I've heard amazing things

I used to cover Oz as part of my workout of A-P HQ based in SG. I would be down there every six weeks. Huge country. I have flown down to Perth for golf but not bothered to go to the East Coast as its closer to SG to Perth than it is from Perth to Sydney.

Country the size of continental USA but with a 30m population.
Culturally its quite different between coasts and even with cities even on the more populated East Coast.
Sydney is very showy -- but its a beautiful city (craps all over SF in terms of natural beauty but a tad shallow culture wise) whereas Melbourne is more European. Personally, I would live in Melbourne but visit Sydney for fun.

OZ has some of the best foods in the world. A combo/fusion of European with Asian and freshest of foods whether seafood or veggies.

Good work/life balance -- out by 5pm at work most of the time. Then to play.
But tough for us from SG to work with them. Too lazy and relaxed for our liking. I remember doing a day trip down to Melbourne for a meeting at Telstra and then back to our Sydney office -- got back to the office by 6pm and everyone was gone! Whereas in SG that would be our 2nd shift of the day.

Is Australia experiencing a "surge", compared to what they have been experiencing over the last 18 months? Yes.

But let's put something into perspective here. Australia's population: 25.8 million. That's just a little smaller than the population of Texas (28 million).

Today, Australia has posted their highest daily Covid new cases count since the pandemic started: 993 cases. They've had a grand total of roughly 47,000 cases and 986 deaths in 18 months.

Texas has had 116,443 new cases and 1083 deaths in the last week.

Is Australia experiencing a "surge", compared to what they have been experiencing over the last 18 months? Yes.

But let's put something into perspective here. Australia's population: 25.8 million. That's just a little smaller than the population of Texas (28 million).

Today, Australia has posted their highest daily Covid new cases count since the pandemic started: 993 cases. They've had a grand total of roughly 47,000 cases and 986 deaths in 18 months.

Texas has had 116,443 new cases and 1083 deaths in the last week.
text from my buddy in victoria.

Don't get me started. We've been in lockdown for 3 weeks now for what started as 7 cases in the state. Lockdown 6.0 by the way. Balance between health and people's lives and livelihoods out of whack. Small business, mental health issues for the kids. Not good. We are up to 65 cases a day now in victoria. No deaths.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
Hopefully we will be able to visit our friends in both Melbourne and Sydney at some point (although the length of the flight would be a royal pain)
I did the direct flight from Dallas to Sydney a few years ago. At the time it was the longest non-stop flight in the world, I think 17 hours. A couple of flights have since passed it, though, IIRC.

edit, current records:
3761.jpeg

Last edited:
text from my buddy in victoria.

Don't get me started. We've been in lockdown for 3 weeks now for what started as 7 cases in the state. Lockdown 6.0 by the way. Balance between health and people's lives and livelihoods out of whack. Small business, mental health issues for the kids. Not good. We are up to 65 cases a day now in victoria. No deaths.
I wont deny that Australia seems to be taking the extreme in regards to lockdowns and that is going to have long term effects on their economy and mental health. 50 years from now there are going to be some fascinating studies about how all this went down and who had the "right" response (which I am sure will still be opinionated). I am not qualified to judge whether what they are doing is doing more harm than good. I doubt anyone truly is, but I do suspect that we will be feeling the long term effects of this pandemic for decades in one way or the other (ie. will movie theatres survive, etc.).

The issue that I had was with the OP posting how Australia was going to become just like the US now, rendering all of their lockdowns as moot. I strongly suspect that they will get a handle on it pretty quickly. Whether their methods are right or wrong is debatable, but their results are still far superior to ours in regards to cases and deaths as Texas shows.

I wont deny that Australia seems to be taking the extreme in regards to lockdowns and that is going to have long term effects on their economy and mental health. 50 years from now there are going to be some fascinating studies about how all this went down and who had the "right" response (which I am sure will still be opinionated). I am not qualified to judge whether what they are doing is doing more harm than good. I doubt anyone truly is, but I do suspect that we will be feeling the long term effects of this pandemic for decades in one way or the other (ie. will movie theatres survive, etc.).

The issue that I had was with the OP posting how Australia was going to become just like the US now, rendering all of their lockdowns as moot. I strongly suspect that they will get a handle on it pretty quickly. Whether their methods are right or wrong is debatable, but their results are still far superior to ours in regards to cases and deaths as Texas shows.
superior in numbers only.... while I live in a state that lets me continue to live like a member of a democratic government.... F--- lockdowns. If we don't learn to live WITH COVID we're going to be doing the same crap for years and years.

How did their economy do? There's also a cost related to bankrupting and/or closing businesses and losing jobs, which would have presumably happened if they had shut down like others did.

How did their economy do? There's also a cost related to bankrupting and/or closing businesses and losing jobs, which would have presumably happened if they had shut down like others did.

The problem is that you cant open up the economy or back to the new normal unless you have some sort of stability ie dealing with localised pockets of cases then localised/targeted solutions. But that can only be achieved with a high rate of vaccination -- 70+%?
Otherwise constant deaths (reported or social media) due to Covid isn't good for consumer confidence either. Then the economy will never return.

The Delta Variant has been pretty bad here -- 25% of total fatality since March 2020 happened in the month of August 2021. All unvaccinated bar one who had only 1 jab and he had some other complications.
The gov't here has been talking about living with the endemic, the new normal for the past month but under some conditions (eg 80% vaccination rate; masking in public and social distancing in terms of seating per table, 5 at the moment.)

Don't think we will have another lockdown again -- too costly economically/financially. The biggest issue is the folks over 60 and esp 70. Around 20% of them remain unvaccinated and are the largest contributors by far to the fatality rates.

They are changing the perception of Covid as we speak:
Go get your booster jabs (or get your fecking jabs you old farts) and we will be fine is the narrative.

Probably the shitty Chinese version

Sounds like they dropped the ball with their vaccination rollout. Only about 25% are fully vaccinated. Kind of shot themselves in the foot on that last crucial step.

Sounds like they dropped the ball with their vaccination rollout. Only about 25% are fully vaccinated. Kind of shot themselves in the foot on that last crucial step.
Its the case with many countries like Japan, Taiwan etc. They didn't have substantial numbers due to the travel bans, early lockdowns, social distancing in the past year. The numbers were low as a result and Covid was a thing that only other countries got.

As a result, people have either got complacent or don't feel the need to get vaccinations. Inertia has set in and it's tough to get people to go into a war footing now.
NZ has the same issue.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
In case you've been asleep and didn't know that Hitler now controls Australia.

"People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person."

In case you've been asleep and didn't know that Hitler now controls Australia.

"People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person."

Hitler had an app??? Did he even own a smart phone?
Let's ask Naza-suta.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT