ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to have the size to compete next year?

Archie was able to win two games (first round, round of 64) with only six scholarship players and I don't think anyone over 6' 6'. Now he has a team full of more talent than he ever has had and a big man with DD. I think Cliff Marshall and Archie will get the whole team playing bigger.

Reactions: JC_Dos3
If you are talking about 2018, yes, but this thread is about 2017. In case you didn't know, he is redshrting.
That's the plan but I guarantee Archie will play him if he can help win games. And In case you didn't know that's why I put "possibly"

Reactions: Johnnyhoops
Yep, if everyone of our players were say, 2 inches taller, it would be banner time all right! Ability, court awareness, and team play trump size in most cases. Besides alot of body player stats are maybe a bit...suspect?

Defensive post play is more about bulk and positioning than height.

Matt Nover was our post on one of our best teams...he was 6'8".

Tyler Widerman was Butler's post last year. He's what...6'5"?

The post will be guarded by Davis, Morgan, McSwain, Hartman and maybe Moore and Priller a little (but Moore is way too light right now).

Anyway, you can have 6'8" post players defensively. Other than Haas there aren't any absolute monster that you need the height.

Davis has to stay out of foul trouble. When he is out, Morgan will have to guard the post, or get help from someone else. Priller has been around for 3 years. I didn't think he played badly when he played, but he was never in the game except for mop up time.. I hope CAM challenges him to be prepared to play. Otherwise we will have to go with Moore or someone like Hartman, McRoberts, or McSwain. I would love to have another experienced big man, but we will play with what we have.

One of the stats I remember mentioned about CAM's teams was an ability to draw fouls. The best way to limit a player's effectiveness is to put them on the bench in foul trouble or have them back off to stay in the game. Can this be taught in one year? If so, it can be helpful to bet to a team's bench sooner.

I'm sure CAM sees three seniors, a junior and a improving sophomore as a good core to build 2017 around. I believe they are smarter than they played last year. I am looking forward to what CAM does with them and the players on the bench that showed promise last year.

Davis has to stay out of foul trouble. When he is out, Morgan will have to guard the post, or get help from someone else. Priller has been around for 3 years. I didn't think he played badly when he played, but he was never in the game except for mop up time.. I hope CAM challenges him to be prepared to play. Otherwise we will have to go with Moore or someone like Hartman, McRoberts, or McSwain. I would love to have another experienced big man, but we will play with what we have.

One of the stats I remember mentioned about CAM's teams was an ability to draw fouls. The best way to limit a player's effectiveness is to put them on the bench in foul trouble or have them back off to stay in the game. Can this be taught in one year? If so, it can be helpful to bet to a team's bench sooner.

I'm sure CAM sees three seniors, a junior and a improving sophomore as a good core to build 2017 around. I believe they are smarter than they played last year. I am looking forward to what CAM does with them and the players on the bench that showed promise last year.
I actually thought Priller held his own against Purdue last year so I think he can contribute in limited minutes.

I actually thought Priller held his own against Purdue last year so I think he can contribute in limited minutes.
He doesn't make mistakes. He may not be the guy you want to play 20 minutes/game, but I've thought he could buy time and not cause harm We know April didn't work like Crean wanted. I've always thought Priller got on Crean's bad side and wasn't going to get a chance. Priller has the opportunity to start new with CAM. I've not heard his name mentioned this summer, but nobody has asked about him either.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
He doesn't make mistakes. He may not be the guy you want to play 20 minutes/game, but I've thought he could buy time and not cause harm We know April didn't work like Crean wanted. I've always thought Priller got on Crean's bad side and wasn't going to get a chance. Priller has the opportunity to start new with CAM. I've not heard his name mentioned this summer, but nobody has asked about him either.
On one of the radio shows Morgan was interviewed and he said the best matchup in practice has been Davis vs Priller.

I think we're a little smallish. An injury to DD, Hartman, Morgan, would be challenging.
Nothing I'd like to see more than Priller in a contributing role as a senior or one of the freshman good out of the gate.
We do have bigger guards, which could help.
I'm hoping for upper mid BIG and make NCAA. I'd really like to kick everyone's ass but I want that every year.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: IU1974
On one of the radio shows Morgan was interviewed and he said the best matchup in practice has been Davis vs Priller.
I hope we get to see the results of this. One area we may be lacking is someone big enough and physical enough to challenge Davis in practice. Priller is probably getting the greater challenge from that, but let's hope it makes both stronger.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
We have two 4 star feshmen that are 6-7 and 6-10.
They should be serviceable in foul trouble situations. I have higher hopes for their court time.
If Priller is expected to see more minutes than them, than at least 1 of the 2 should probably be looking at a redshirt.

Seems like we need some bigs asap.
We have starters, we just need need reserves.
Defensive post play is more about bulk and positioning than height.

Matt Nover was our post on one of our best teams...he was 6'8".

Tyler Widerman was Butler's post last year. He's what...6'5"?

The post will be guarded by Davis, Morgan, McSwain, Hartman and maybe Moore and Priller a little (but Moore is way too light right now).

Anyway, you can have 6'8" post players defensively. Other than Haas there aren't any absolute monster that you need the height.
And Haas can't defend the perimeter, and every team will try to make him..

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
And Haas can't play intensely for extended minutes. I may be alone on this but I think his durability and stamina are questionable.

It may be true (not saying it isn't) but generally when it is, you'll see a really high foul rate, even in limited minutes. His is fairly low for his position and role.

Look at Davis, for example, his foul rate was horrible and the first thing Arch did was have him lose weight and build more stamina..

But yea,Hass' type of game is a thing of the past. Great offensive low post player, but all other teams will do is run five out and make him guard on the perimeter. guarding him though will be a beeotch ..

Yes, we can compete because we have enough size by committee. We are lacking a backup center to give De'Ron a breather and guard the post if that's what you are getting at. The seven foot, uncoordinated, low ceiling center that plays five minutes a game is out of style. I don't think that role is a requirement to winning a championship these days. When De'Ron is out, we will adjust to put more pressure on the ball and push it more on offense instead of wasting a scholly.

And Haas can't play intensely for extended minutes. I may be alone on this but I think his durability and stamina are questionable.
There was an obvious lack of conditioning in his freshman year. I thought he was better this year. Haas has always had someone he could play behind and allow him to rest. They are going to need more from him this year

There was an obvious lack of conditioning in his freshman year. I thought he was better this year. Haas has always had someone he could play behind and allow him to rest. They are going to need more from him this year

Agreed. We don't have a serviceable back-up for him this year. Our options are Jacquil Taylor who has missed so much time due to injury and is a complete wildcard and a 7'3 RS FR who weighs like 220 and isn't going to be ready physically. I think we need him for close to 25 minutes a game.

When Moore, Morgan, and Hartmann are on the floor they will be hard to match up with as well. All 3 can really shoot it so no big hanging around the rim....Haas??

When Moore, Morgan, and Hartmann are on the floor they will be hard to match up with as well. All 3 can really shoot it so no big hanging around the rim....Haas??

Morgan? I wouldn't say he can "really shoot it." I'd call him an average shooter.

This makes a lot of sense if we assume they don't call all of Priller's fouls in practice. I can see Priller giving Davis a physical challenge in practice. Time will tell if Priller can be effective in a real game (with real referees and everything).

We should have plenty of size. In Sampsons first year we had DJ White who measured 6'7" without shoes, Mike White who was 6'4", and Lance Stemler. We beat #2 Wisconsin, beat Gonzaga in the tourney, and nearly beat FF bound UCLA. I think we'll have just as much size and talent this season as we had in that one.

We should have plenty of size. In Sampsons first year we had DJ White who measured 6'7" without shoes, Mike White who was 6'4", and Lance Stemler. We beat #2 Wisconsin, beat Gonzaga in the tourney, and nearly beat FF bound UCLA. I think we'll have just as much size and talent this season as we had in that one.
Yep - seems like many fans of this site are trying to set a low expectation for Archie's first season...for reasons I cant understand or imagine. IU lost no (notable) transfers, and added 6-10 and 6-7 four-star forwards.
I like our IU team and possible line-ups. I cant see why IU would be anything less than a NCAA tourney team, and a good B10 reg season standing.

Yep - seems like many fans of this site are trying to set a low expectation for Archie's first season...for reasons I cant understand or imagine. IU lost no (notable) transfers, and added 6-10 and 6-7 four-star forwards.
I like our IU team and possible line-ups. I cant see why IU would be anything less than a NCAA tourney team, and a good B10 reg season standing.
6-7 is really about 6-5.

He's probably right about that though. I once met Sean Kline at Kilroys. He was listed at 6'8" but if he was any taller than 6'5" I'd be amazed.

If we are talking about relying on Priller for anything, then there is a large problem. It's obviously not Archie's fault since he inherited Priller and basically has to take what was in the cupboard this year.

He's closer to 6-5 than 6-7. I know you're not a basketball guy, but I assumed you at least knew that. No wonder people make fun of you so much.
My goodness - this would be an issue if IU were the only basketball program in the world doing this...If our 6-8 guys were 3 or 4 inches shorter than every other 6-8 guy from every other program that would cause concern.
Dumb and obnoxious.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Seems like we need some bigs asap.
I think we are in good shape. We have the length we need to compete and we have very good athleticism. DD gives us what we need down low and guys like CH, and JM are sneaky good down low. Add Moore for length and FM as a banger and we are set. DD does much better this year staying out of foul trouble.

Reactions: mazz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT