ADVERTISEMENT

Are this season's results so far changing your opinion on CTC's coaching?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Not mine. I've never thought he was as incompetent as many on here say, and we are beating teams we should beat, but frankly, even at that, these results are surprising me; especially given how inept we looked early.

I think FrankTGucker is right, we're going to be stuck with CTC after this season and possibly for a few more. Unless, he is tired of the gig and I don't see that happening.

Nope, he could (lol, though improbable, it's possible) win the NCAA and it wouldn't change my opinion of him. I hate dumb basketball, and it seems that's all he's capable of teaching. This type of team is what I grew up laughing at and clowning on as a youth. Athletic but dumb. I don't care high a person can jump if he can't make a simple post feed. For the last 3 years we've been the dumbest team in the nation. To me it's embarrassing, and not Indiana basketball.

Not mine. I've never thought he was as incompetent as many on here say, and we are beating teams we should beat, but frankly, even at that, these results are surprising me; especially given how inept we looked early.

I think FrankTGucker is right, we're going to be stuck with CTC after this season and possibly for a few more. Unless, he is tired of the gig and I don't see that happening.
This season isn't over yet, and we are beating some pretty mediocre teams in my opinion. But Crean has still done a pretty good job handling some individual issues with this team. I think he caught a break with Blackmon and benching Troy certainly got his attention. Time will tell whether we are truly as good as some of these beatdowns say we are. I'm not convinced he's elite by any means, but he's got this team playing above their heads right now in my opinion and it'll be interesting to see if he can continue to do that. We still have February and March to go, but so far, the Conference has actually been fun to watch. IF we win at the clip we are going, FrankTGucker will be correct. Tommy will get extended again.

This season isn't over yet, and we are beating some pretty mediocre teams in my opinion. But Crean has still done a pretty good job handling some individual issues with this team. I think he caught a break with Blackmon and benching Troy certainly got his attention. Time will tell whether we are truly as good as some of these beatdowns say we are. I'm not convinced he's elite by any means, but he's got this team playing above their heads right now in my opinion and it'll be interesting to see if he can continue to do that. We still have February and March to go, but so far, the Conference has actually been fun to watch. IF we win at the clip we are going, FrankTGucker will be correct. Tommy will get extended again.

Possibly. But it's important to look past this six game win streak and zoom out to look at the overall direction of the program. Beating the dregs of the Big Ten and lucking into an injury to the team's worst defender should be viewed with tepid skepticism. I'm not foolish enough to believe that all of this suddenly means that Crean has righted the ship.

I can distinctly remember some Mike Davis teams shooting lights out at home and looking like they were Final Four bound, (against Illinois, no less) only to cool off and come crashing back down to Earth. This season could still very easily nose dive like a motivated kamikaze pilot. In fact, it has all the makings of an epic collapse. Grind their way through a historically down year for the conference and achieve a decent seed in the Tournament, go cold on the road against a tough opponent in the first or second round and bow out in grand fashion. You think people won't be screaming bloody murder if something like that happens...?

And then...the off season, where Tom Crean teams are truly made. Anybody think there won't be at least one transfer? If there isn't, it will be a statistical anomaly. Has the culture around the program really changed enough to ensure no more off-the-court shenanigans? Maybe. But I'll believe it when I see it. And finally, with what we have leaving and what we have coming in, I can absolutely see another 'Tom Crean dip' in the conference next year where he finishes in his 5th to 8th place comfort zone...

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Possibly. But it's important to look past this six game win streak and zoom out to look at the overall direction of the program. Beating the dregs of the Big Ten and lucking into an injury to the team's worst defender should be viewed with tepid skepticism. I'm not foolish enough to believe that all of this suddenly means that Crean has righted the ship.

I can distinctly remember some Mike Davis teams shooting lights out at home and looking like they were Final Four bound, (against Illinois, no less) only to cool off and come crashing back down to Earth. This season could still very easily nose dive like a motivated kamikaze pilot. In fact, it has all the makings of an epic collapse. Grind their way through a historically down year for the conference and achieve a decent seed in the Tournament, go cold on the road against a tough opponent in the first or second round and bow out in grand fashion. You think people won't be screaming bloody murder if something like that happens...?

And then...the off season, where Tom Crean teams are truly made. Anybody think there won't be at least one transfer? If there isn't, it will be a statistical anomaly. Has the culture around the program really changed enough to ensure no more off-the-court shenanigans? Maybe. But I'll believe it when I see it. And finally, with what we have leaving and what we have coming in, I can absolutely see another 'Tom Crean dip' in the conference next year where he finishes in his 5th to 8th place comfort zone...

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Word.

No. He's had it easy so far this season. The only solid team we have played, we got smashed. Our best win is against ND. We went through this last season and look what happened near the end.

I feel sorry for the players. The pieces are there, but he will screw them up sooner or later. I have faith. It is what his teams do.

I want to be excited, but just can't because I know what will likely happen. But I am excited when I am around my kids because they want to be excited and they will be IU fans much longer than Crean will be our coach. I am just glad they are young enough to not realize how bad he is and hopefully will grow up with a solid coach leading us one of these days when they are older and actually understand what's going on. Right now they just want us to win and at their age, rightfully so.

IU's BT opponents to this point have a combined conference record of 10-26. It's well established Crean's teams can lay waste to crappy opponents, particularly at home. So I like that the team D has visibly improved over this streak, but let's pump the breaks until we see if this carries over to say, against teams who might make the tourney....maybe even against some of those teams on the road? That may show this team is different from last year's and all but 2 seasons so far under Crean.

That change happens, cool. Maybe this team makes it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney. Does it change my large picture view of whether someone else should be coaching? No. Not it does not because IU shouldn't be wondering whether a team with top 10 national talent will finish at the top of the conference and do more than just make an appearance in the NCAA tourney. And a couple months of adequate defense and playing up to par isn't going to counter the established deficiency in the program.

Reactions: IUecho87
No matter how many wins, why not to like Tom Crean:

1) spring Creaning (especially the Roth situation)
2) blow by handshakes
3) his boorish behavior with Don Fischer last season
4) deflections
5) handing out scholarships like Halloween candy
6) "I'll have to look at the tape"
7) pretending to be a Christian on Twitter when he is recruiting a Christian kid
8) his pussy ass pre-conference schedule
9) his overall mediocre career record
10) the way he gets cocky when we are winning (see scared Lesbian photo after Michigan game)
11) switching defenses mid possession
12) He is a man that goes to tanning booths. Seriously.
13) constantly putting low basketball IQ kids in high basketball IQ situations
14) making the zone appear to be the Gordian Knot, and using 28 foot threes as his only weapon against it
15) His offense, whatever it is called.
16) He is just so frigging weird. Like "free candy, white windowless van" weird.
17) Kissing his teenage son on the lips.
18) Still cannot get over that creepy tweet he sent out that he claimed was to a recruit
19) How he treated Calbert, then lied about it. This should be number one on my list.
20) The look at me antics on the sideline: cacophonic clapping, stalking like a tweeked out manic-depressive teen, pants hitching stupid manner in which he conducts himself
21) Having student managers stalk the forums for posts like this

feel free to add to the list. There's nothing Tom Crean is capable of doing that makes me want him at IU.

15_iu-pittmbball.jpg

2) blow by handshakes
4) deflections
7) pretending to be a Christian on Twitter when he is recruiting a Christian kid
10) the way he gets cocky when we are winning (see scared Lesbian photo after Michigan game)
14) making the zone appear to be the Gordian Knot, and using 28 foot threes as his only weapon against it
16) He is just so frigging weird. Like "free candy, white windowless van" weird.
18) Still cannot get over that creepy tweet he sent out that he claimed was to a recruit
19) How he treated Calbert, then lied about it. This should be number one on my list.
20) The look at me antics on the sideline: cacophonic clapping, stalking like a tweeked out manic-depressive teen, pants hitching stupid manner in which he conducts himself

feel free to add to the list. There's nothing Tom Crean is capable of doing that makes me want him at IU.

Number 13 is huge for me.....never thought he has recruited well.

Elaborate on Calbert situation.....I heard some things but never was clear why he left....do you know?

I roomed with guys that were close with or former teammates of Cheaney's at Harrison. Through that group of friends, I eard Calbert's version of his departure.

Crean made it out to be that Calbert didn't want to put in the work to be an assistant. Calbert felt Crean ignored his assistant's advice, especially in regards to recruiting. He also felt Crean would never let him be an assistant at IU.

For someone who didn't want to be an assistant, according to Crean, Calbert sure jumped on the job offer from Jim Crews. Bear the following in mind, when Calbert came back to Bloomington, he had every intention of keeping his kids in town until they graduated.

I can distinctly remember some Mike Davis teams shooting lights out at home and looking like they were Final Four bound, (against Illinois, no less) only to cool off and come crashing back down to Earth.

The problem with this is that they actually were Final Four-bound that year. The year that we absolutely dismantled Illinois at home was the year we went on to the Final Four. We did cool off, though, before the tournament began.

It scares the hell out of me that he is doing just enough to save his job. The only solace I take is that maybe one more year gives us a better shot at Stevens?

I roomed with guys that were close with or former teammates of Cheaney's at Harrison. Through that group of friends, I eard Calbert's version of his departure.

Crean made it out to be that Calbert didn't want to put in the work to be an assistant. Calbert felt Crean ignored his assistant's advice, especially in regards to recruiting. He also felt Crean would never let him be an assistant at IU.

For someone who didn't want to be an assistant, according to Crean, Calbert sure jumped on the job offer from Jim Crews. Bear the following in mind, when Calbert came back to Bloomington, he had every intention of keeping his kids in town until they graduated.

Wow.....originally thought it was shady that an IU all time great that gave his heart and soul when he played here would jump so easily.

What a colossal dikbag the clown is.

Reactions: mike41703
I was at the game last night and tried to figure out what offense we were running the whole time.

I couldn't.
When you score 103 points it's hard to find fault with the offense. Although, if anyone can do it, you can. :p

If you can find it, go back and read Crean's statement about Calbert leaving, especially within the context of the story I posted here.

Crean quote: “He has come to have a strong desire to return to the floor coaching and can do so with someone he trusts and respects in Jim Crews. He will do an outstanding job and there is no doubt in my mind that he has a tremendous future coaching at any level.”

Yep.....Calbert saw right through the clown makeup.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Crean quote: “He has come to have a strong desire to return to the floor coaching and can do so with someone he trusts and respects in Jim Crews. He will do an outstanding job and there is no doubt in my mind that he has a tremendous future coaching at any level.”

Yep.....Calbert saw right through the clown makeup.

First of all, Crean is an intense guy. You can accuse him of many things, but you can never accuse him of not being a hard worker. I loved Calbert and the guy is a legend and should be treated as such, but I don't think he matched Crean's intensity or agreed with his coaching style and that led to him looking for greener pastures.

Has IU won a game they weren't favored in? Maybe ND was favored I have no idea.

Ralphie you left out the Marlin transfer. That was as illustrative of what Crean is like as much as anything.

This kid gave up a scholly to play for his dream school and left.

My brother in law is friends with a former roommate of Calbert's. I don't know details, but it is well known that Calbert can't stand Crean and couldn't wait to get away from him.
You just described every player who ever played for RMK and probably every assistant who was ever on his staff. Most people don't like the boss, it's nothing new.

First of all, Crean is an intense guy. You can accuse him of many things, but you can never accuse him of not being a hard worker. I loved Calbert and the guy is a legend and should be treated as such, but I don't think he matched Crean's intensity or agreed with his coaching style and that led to him looking for greener pastures.

Agree. A guy who played 4 years for Bobby Knight just couldn't mesh with Tom Crean due to his intensity.

Agree. A guy who played 4 years for Bobby Knight just couldn't mesh with Tom Crean due to his intensity.
Good point, but Calbert is a millionaire with a young family, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he didn't want to put in the hours that Crean demanded.

Good point, but Calbert is a millionaire with a young family, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he didn't want to put in the hours that Crean demanded.

Considering he left Warriors where he had already been a special assistant to take a job at his alma mater, only to leave 2 years later for another job on another college staff, I think the likely scenarios are as follows:

A. Least favorable to Crean, Calbert looks at his credentials and education as a college player, pro player, and being on a pro coaching staff, says I'm not sitting on this guy's staff, and so I'm going to coach for someone I expect to have comparable knowledge and credibility.

B. More favorable to Crean, Crews simply gave him a promotion in coaching position he didn't see happening here. Although, from afar, that would seem to look like Crean undervaluing what other staffs see in Calbert's abilities as a coach.

Sure, it's possible, but highly unlikely the issue was that Calbert wants to half-ass his job as a coach, and SLU just presented an opportunity to coach but not have to work as hard at it.

2) blow by handshakes
4) deflections

By no means am I a Crean fan, but I will say that I couldnt care less about 2, 17, and 20.
I also bet those things wouldnt bother you if he was winning consistently at a high level with high IQ Bball.

Key thing about our 6-0 start. Our average opponent is about 13 points worse than Iowa's average opponent. You spot each of our opponents 13 points, and we are 2-4.

With our talent, we shouldn't just be beating all these teams. We should be demolishing them. Our schedule hasn't just been easy, it's been embarrassingly easy.

So, actually, our performance has confirmed what I thought of CTC's coaching: he coaches good players down to mediocrity.

Simply, NO. The collapse is coming when we play a decent team.

The devil you say. Where have I heard this before?

Screen+Shot+2012-03-02+at+8.34.54+PM.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT