ADVERTISEMENT

Are there many good coaches left?

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I was watching Colorado vs USC last night. And I was thinking to myself, “these are pretty good teams.” But then I looked at the season records of those coaches at those schools and I was completely befuddled.

TBH. There really aren’t many coaches left with a good track record. As much as it pains me to say this, coaches like Calipari would be desirable to programs. You know he’s going to be top 15 every year. Izzo. Self. Those guys consistently get it done. But beyond the ELITE guys, almost every other coach is up and down from season to season. Are we just lacking in coaching talent right now in CBB? I mean look how great Scott Drew is doing. But he’s been in the NIT twice in the last 8 years but he’s a pretty good coach. This up and down stuff just seems to happen.

Reactions: cryano
Marshall at Witch St had a terrible year last season...but I believe had 9 freshmen...and is ranked again this season.

I was watching Colorado vs USC last night. And I was thinking to myself, “these are pretty good teams.” But then I looked at the season records of those coaches at those schools and I was completely befuddled.

TBH. There really aren’t many coaches left with a good track record. As much as it pains me to say this, coaches like Calipari would be desirable to programs. You know he’s going to be top 15 every year. Izzo. Self. Those guys consistently get it done. But beyond the ELITE guys, almost every other coach is up and down from season to season. Are we just lacking in coaching talent right now in CBB? I mean look how great Scott Drew is doing. But he’s been in the NIT twice in the last 8 years but he’s a pretty good coach. This up and down stuff just seems to happen.
The 30-second shot clock and the way the game is officiated now make in-game coaching much less of a factor than it used to be. Coaching certainly still matters in terms of recruiting and constructing a roster, but the nature of the game today places a premium on being athletic and talented over being disciplined and smart. The transfer free-for-all and the proliferation of players leaving early for the pros makes it easy to be experienced and talented one year, and be exactly the opposite the next.

Certainly not a golden era for college hoops IMO.

Any program would LOVE to have Calipari. He’s one of the top 5-10 coach all time. In history. We’ll forever regret not hiring him when we hired Crean.

This is some major league comedy, kid.
Learn some history.
No, he's right. Look at his results, the results speak for themselves. What makes you claim he's not a good coach, because he recruits well. RMK used to as well, but Cal has to take a bunch of 5 star freshmen each year, get them to play unselfish ball, and get results. He does this consistently, why, because he's a good coach. Get over it, just because he's at UK does not make him slime or a bad coach.

No, he's right. Look at his results, the results speak for themselves. What makes you claim he's not a good coach, because he recruits well. RMK used to as well, but Cal has to take a bunch of 5 star freshmen each year, get them to play unselfish ball, and get results. He does this consistently, why, because he's a good coach. Get over it, just because he's at UK does not make him slime or a bad coach.
Top 5-10 of all time is the hilarious part. It's obvious who hasn't been watching college basketball for very long.

Any program would LOVE to have Calipari. He’s one of the top 5-10 coach all time. In history. We’ll forever regret not hiring him when we hired Crean.
You imagine IU hiring Cal, he who left 2 previous schools on probation, right after we fired Sampson for rules violations???

I'd say he's probably/arguably top 10, name 10 better and let me ponder. Not top 5 for sure, but maybe top 10
A partial list of better coaches:

RMK
Dean Smith
Hank Iba
Billy Donovan
Brad Stevens
Coach K
Phog Allen
Jim Boeheim
Jim Calhoun
Tom Izzo
Phog Allen
Rich Pitino
Denny Crum
Branch McCracken
Clair Bee
John Wooden

All these guys would coach circles around Cal. I could go on.

RMK
Dean Smith
Hank Iba
Billy Donovan
Brad Stevens
Coach K
Phog Allen
Jim Boeheim
Jim Calhoun
Tom Izzo
Phog Allen
Rich Pitino
Denny Crum
Branch McCracken
Clair Bee
John Wooden

Well, maybe not top 10, but definitely top 15. I'd remove Dean Smith, Boeheim, and Izzo from that list. You could argue longevity, but their actual accomplishments are not much more or equal

RMK
Dean Smith
Hank Iba
Billy Donovan
Brad Stevens
Coach K
Phog Allen
Jim Boeheim
Jim Calhoun
Tom Izzo
Phog Allen
Rich Pitino
Denny Crum
Branch McCracken
Clair Bee
John Wooden

This is Cal's career overall …
729–214 (.773)

How many are better than that? I would attribute that percentage as NEVER expecting to lose.

Bryce Drew is doing well. But, wait, he’s a scoundrel.

He is not even close to the best unemployed college coach (Matta and Beilein).

If Archie doesn't work out, I'd be all for Scott Drew though. He has back stabbed other coaches per RMK and Barnes breaking supposed unwritten rules but has never been caught cheating. Hard to believe at Baylor. I think that school offers degrees in cheating.

Well, maybe not top 10, but definitely top 15. I'd remove Dean Smith, Boeheim, and Izzo from that list. You could argue longevity, but their actual accomplishments are not much more or equal

You'd remove Dean Smith from what list? The top 10 all time coaching list? Tell me your not saying that.

RMK
Dean Smith
Hank Iba
Billy Donovan
Brad Stevens
Coach K
Phog Allen
Jim Boeheim
Jim Calhoun
Tom Izzo
Phog Allen
Rich Pitino
Denny Crum
Branch McCracken
Clair Bee
John Wooden

Don’t forget Crean has a winning record against him.

This is Cal's career overall …
729–214 (.773)

How many are better than that? I would attribute that percentage as NEVER expecting to lose.
Lmao! He’s been in the A10, conference USA and the SEC. 20 other coaches could do the same.

Reactions: ulrey
Only five coaches have been to more Final Fours in history. And Calipari is on pace to pass them all. Take the blinders off.

He’ll go down in history with Dean Smith as a guy who consistently did less with more than anyone else in college basketball.

Cal is nothing but a scam
So dumb and biased. He’s respected by all the top names in basketball. Coaching Olympic teams, winning championships, close to dozens of nba players. Sounds like a real scam.

He’ll go down in history with Dean Smith as a guy who consistently did less with more than anyone else in college basketball.
No he won’t. Not even close. He’ll go down in history as a HALL OF FAME COACH who was one of the best all time.

The 30-second shot clock and the way the game is officiated now make in-game coaching much less of a factor than it used to be. Coaching certainly still matters in terms of recruiting and constructing a roster, but the nature of the game today places a premium on being athletic and talented over being disciplined and smart. The transfer free-for-all and the proliferation of players leaving early for the pros makes it easy to be experienced and talented one year, and be exactly the opposite the next.

Smart and disciplined sounds like the definition of student-athlete. Or at least it should be.

Yea right, Dean only had 2 titles, made it to 11 final fours and won 17 ACC championships.

*eyeroll*

Interesting thoughts, OC77.

Yea right, Dean only had 2 titles, made it to 11 final fours and won 17 ACC championships.

*eyeroll*

If you think going 2/11 in the final four with the talent he had year in and year out is impressive, fine. I’m not surprised. He got out-coached most of the time and the two he did win were largely due to boneheaded plays in crunch time and not any great coaching prowess on his part either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT