ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Democrats playing politics with COVID relief?

HooDatGuy

Senior
Sep 10, 2020
Im surprised there isn't a thread on this already. I just don't get it. You can always pass another bill if the "skinny" bill ends up not metering out enough assistance. Are they trying to starve out those struggling to turn the tide before election day? This stand off has to stop and something, anything has to be passed to help those struggling right now.

The Democrats have to wear this one imo.

Im surprised there isn't a thread on this already. I just don't get it. You can always pass another bill if the "skinny" bill ends up not metering out enough assistance. Are they trying to starve out those struggling to turn the tide before election day? This stand off has to stop and something, anything has to be passed to help those struggling right now.

The Democrats have to wear this one imo.
The House passed a relief bill months ago.

I'm assuming Dems want to bailout states like NJ, NY, CA etc for their gross financial incompetence. Am I right?

Reactions: ulrey
any debate on a bill where we don't know exactly what's in it is beyond absurd.

that said, if either party wants a relief bill passed, just attach a few trillion in giveaways to the big banks and Wall St, and it will pass by the next day.

minus a few trillion in giveaways to the big banks and Wall St, and legislators just don't see the point.

and if Dems are attaching conditions they know won't be met, then those conditions are a poison pill and the bill is a sham.

Last edited:
Reactions: HillzHoozier
Read Uncle Mark's post, #6, above.
That doesn’t necessarily answer the question. As someone else mentions, it depends on what all is attached. A sheer $$ figure doesn’t tell the whole story in all cases. Maybe it’s on the up and up, but I wouldn’t bet on it from either party...

That doesn’t necessarily answer the question. As someone else mentions, it depends on what all is attached. A sheer $$ figure doesn’t tell the whole story in all cases. Maybe it’s on the up and up, but I wouldn’t bet on it from either party...

Well...it's a piece of legislation passed by the house, so the details are pretty much there if you are sincere about wanting to know.

The Dem pie-in-the-sky bill was $3T. The Pubs said they would consider a $1T bill. The Dems said they'd meet them halfway at $2T. Then the Pubs took the month of August off.

The Pub bill now being proposed is $300B. Who's playing games again?

Pubs could totally embrace a $3T bill.

again.

it's just a matter of who gets the $3T.

I'm going to assume that Dems want money for stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with COVID. Like paying for ridiculous teacher pensions in IL, NY, NJ which the states didn't have money for before COVID. There absolutely should be no money for crap like that.

It was more money to bail out mostly blue states and a repeal of the SALT provisions in the 2017 tax bill that were poison pills.

As far as meeting in the middle, that is a non sequitur. If I am selling you a Honda and you offer $20,000 and I ask for $400,000, meeting in the middle is not necessarily rational or a good deal, nor is it negotiating in good faith. The $3 trillion starting point and things being asked for in the Democrat bill were not all related or rational.

Reactions: HillzHoozier

Can't argue with your last sentence.

I'm going to assume that Dems want money for stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with COVID. Like paying for ridiculous teacher pensions in IL, NY, NJ which the states didn't have money for before COVID. There absolutely should be no money for crap like that.

I will assume pubs don't want to help anyone other than the rich and then pretend trickle down economics will assist the rest of us. Of course, their other motto is to screw the country on purpose so they can blame it on the dems

Actually that evil woman Pelosi fought really hard with other democrats to make sure there wasn't a lot of fluff....because she knew the pubs were going to walk away (which they did).

It was a pretty streamlined bill. In general they wanted to continue the heros act, they wanted a couple more stimulus checks and they wanted to get the postal system ready for the elections.

Pelosi played the pubs and backed them into a corner because she knew they didn't want to do much so she made sure it was a pretty clean bill.

Dems tried to put in some extra stuff but she told them no.

Now all the pubs have is to try to point and blame and hope that people buy it.

Many will of course.

I'm assuming Dems want to bailout states like NJ, NY, CA etc for their gross financial incompetence. Am I right?

YellowishHomelyAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

I will assume pubs don't want to help anyone other than the rich and then pretend trickle down economics will assist the rest of us. Of course, their other motto is to screw the country on purpose so they can blame it on the dems

Yeah keep drinking the Kool aid.

It was more money to bail out mostly blue states and a repeal of the SALT provisions in the 2017 tax bill that were poison pills.

As far as meeting in the middle, that is a non sequitur. If I am selling you a Honda and you offer $20,000 and I ask for $400,000, meeting in the middle is not necessarily rational or a good deal, nor is it negotiating in good faith. The $3 trillion starting point and things being asked for in the Democrat bill were not all related or rational.
So in other words, #RESIST. Right, no compromise!

And CO never believes me when I say that was the Tea Party mantra and not invented by people opposing Trump. The hashtag is new, the sentiment is not.

Reactions: cosmickid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT