ADVERTISEMENT

Are Republicans better informed than Democrats?

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Here's a link showing Republicans, and in particular, Trump voters, are better informed about issues highly relevant to our politics than are Democrats. For example, Trump voters answered correctly 46% of the time and Democratic voters 32%.

There is a pattern here. The Democrats's wrong answers generally were consistent with the answer that was the most pessimistic or critical of the United States and its people. This tendency towards misinformation correlates with the leading Democratic presidential candidates who frequently present wrong information about the state of the economy and the MSM that amplifies those beliefs. It's an article of faith among Democrats that the Trump economy works only for the wealthy. Of course, that is wrong.

The survey covered issues about education, taxes, healthcare, national debt, pollution, government spending, Social Security, global warming, energy, and hunger. All important issues about our politics and all issues that Trump votes are more often correct about than Democrats.

Of course, much of these results depend about the way questions are posed. For that reason this survey, (and all those other surveys supposedly showing that FNC viewers are misinformed) need to be viewed with caution. That said, I think this survey is more accurate than some others. See the Social Security questions for example. One of the climate change questions had to do with whether severe weather is more prevalent now than in the 1980's. The correct answer is no change, but only 4% of Democrats got it correct while 59% of Trump voters got it correct. Conformation bias likely plays a role here.

Reactions: IUJIM
Some of these are crazy. Here's the biggest issue:

Question 5: The average U.S. household spends about $30,000 per year on food, housing, and clothing combined. If we broke down all combined federal, state, and local taxes to a per household cost, do you think this would amount to more or less than an average of $30,000 per household per year?

Correct Answer: More than $30,000. In 2018, federal, state and local governments collected a combined total of $5.1 trillion in taxes or an average of $40,000 for every household in the U.S.​

The median household income is roughly $60,000. Those people are not paying $40,000 in taxes. So if you read the question exactly right, that yes if we pile on Bill Gates tax burden to mine, it sure looks like I pay a heck of a lot of taxes, but that isn't reality.

Here's a link showing Republicans, and in particular, Trump voters, are better informed about issues highly relevant to our politics than are Democrats. For example, Trump voters answered correctly 46% of the time and Democratic voters 32%.

There is a pattern here. The Democrats's wrong answers generally were consistent with the answer that was the most pessimistic or critical of the United States and its people. This tendency towards misinformation correlates with the leading Democratic presidential candidates who frequently present wrong information about the state of the economy and the MSM that amplifies those beliefs. It's an article of faith among Democrats that the Trump economy works only for the wealthy. Of course, that is wrong.

The survey covered issues about education, taxes, healthcare, national debt, pollution, government spending, Social Security, global warming, energy, and hunger. All important issues about our politics and all issues that Trump votes are more often correct about than Democrats.

Of course, much of these results depend about the way questions are posed. For that reason this survey, (and all those other surveys supposedly showing that FNC viewers are misinformed) need to be viewed with caution. That said, I think this survey is more accurate than some others. See the Social Security questions for example. One of the climate change questions had to do with whether severe weather is more prevalent now than in the 1980's. The correct answer is no change, but only 4% of Democrats got it correct while 59% of Trump voters got it correct. Conformation bias likely plays a role here.
you're omitting in your summary one of the most egregiously missed questions in the whole group: if temps have gone up since 1980s. Obviously the answer is Yes and only 29% of Trump voters and 30% of 65+ got it right compared to overwhelmingly correct answers from all other demos. This is just such a basic fact that is well understood by anybody with a pulse that it can only be explained by #NewGOP brainwashing leading to exceeding cognitive dissonance about climate change.

After skimming the answers, One can easily infer that Trump voters are highly correlated with age. The 65+ demo and the Trump demo clearly have significant overlap.

It’s not surprising that Democrat voters botched military spending v social spending and tax questions.

edit: I think your judgment on this is off. JustFacts is a right leaning org but I think they’re pretty good so I’m not concerned about that. They seem to have picked the left leaning bogeymen topics that are conducive to fake news and tricking the left. Had they asked questions about pedophiles and pizzas and Ukrainian intervention into 2016 elections, I’m quite sure the Trump voters would’ve epically failed those questions.

Some of these are crazy. Here's the biggest issue:

Question 5: The average U.S. household spends about $30,000 per year on food, housing, and clothing combined. If we broke down all combined federal, state, and local taxes to a per household cost, do you think this would amount to more or less than an average of $30,000 per household per year?

Correct Answer: More than $30,000. In 2018, federal, state and local governments collected a combined total of $5.1 trillion in taxes or an average of $40,000 for every household in the U.S.​

The median household income is roughly $60,000. Those people are not paying $40,000 in taxes. So if you read the question exactly right, that yes if we pile on Bill Gates tax burden to mine, it sure looks like I pay a heck of a lot of taxes, but that isn't reality.

that a fair point. I guess the relevant issue is the tax burden for a household income of 60k.

you're omitting in your summary one of the most egregiously missed questions in the whole group: if temps have gone up since 1980s. Obviously the answer is Yes and only 29% of Trump voters and 30% of 65+ got it right compared to overwhelmingly correct answers from all other demos. This is just such a basic fact that is well understood by anybody with a pulse that it can only be explained by #NewGOP brainwashing leading to exceeding cognitive dissonance about climate change.

After skimming the answers, One can easily infer that Trump voters are highly correlated with age. The 65+ demo and the Trump demo clearly have significant overlap.

It’s not surprising that Democrat voters botched military spending v social spending and tax questions.

edit: I think your judgment on this is off. JustFacts is a right leaning org but I think they’re pretty good so I’m not concerned about that. They seem to have picked the left leaning bogeymen topics that are conducive to fake news and tricking the left. Had they asked questions about pedophiles and pizzas and Ukrainian intervention into 2016 elections, I’m quite sure the Trump voters would’ve epically failed those questions.

Once again you got cognitive dissonance wrong. But that’s a small matter. I agree about the question selection but I thought I pointed that out in the OP.

I wish some of the informed republicans would show up around here.

ADVERTISEMENT