ADVERTISEMENT

Are IU's current players and signed recruits better than any of his Dayton teams?

fireforeffect

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2016
There's only one simple answer to that question. Go back and look at his Dayton recruiting history... We've got more potential talent on the existing roster than he ever had at Dayton... Then there's the really good recruiting class coming in on top of what we currently have... Most of these guys will play four years too... Come on Chicken Littles... The sky ain't falling because we didn't get a couple of 1&D type of players... CAM needs guys who are going to stay the course right now to build some foundation work... Support the current players & incoming recruits... Their the best CAM has ever had...

There's only one simple answer to that question. Go back and look at his Dayton recruiting history... We've got more potential talent on the existing roster than he ever had at Dayton... Then there's the really good recruiting class coming in on top of what we currently have... Most of these guys will play four years too... Come on Chicken Littles... The sky ain't falling because we didn't get a couple of 1&D type of players... CAM needs guys who are going to stay the course right now to build some foundation work... Support the current players & incoming recruits... Their the best CAM has ever had...
The players at Dayton were good enough to compete and win in the A10. How would that translate to the B1G?

BTW, I saw Dayton beat Ball State 78 - 77 in their first game.

I think people need to calm down. Two games in to the season let's see how they progress. Nice looking point guard with some size around him in the next class. We could use a shooting guard in that class. In on some nice big men in the 2019 class. If some of the upper classmen don't like the new style of play they should leave. I know they didn't expect a coach change but it happened. Anyways will be curious how much progression this team makes through the season.

There is a simple answer, but the correct one is he recruited players for his type of system and style of play, as presumably, did Tom Crean. Crean never valued the defensive minded stopper that so many coaches value, including I would guess, Archie Miller. So yes, on paper these are higher ranked recruits, but not ones CAM chose, nor ones recruited to his style of play, and oh yeah, we lost our 3 leading scorers early, and they are learning a new system. The sky isn't falling, in fact I still think it's quite bright, but that doesn't mean we're going to see alot of wins this year.

I totally agree! Forget Garland; he is history. Recruit the hell out of Romeo and give it your best shot. And, support the kids dressed in candy stripped warmups who have already made the right decision.

Yes, the players are better than he had at Dayton but so is the level of competition that they are playing.

Reactions: spradecki
I totally agree! Forget Garland; he is history. Recruit the hell out of Romeo and give it your best shot. And, support the kids dressed in candy stripped warmups who have already made the right decision.

call him Goneland

To be honest, with Garland and Romeo it was going to speed us up to the finish line starting next season. Since Garland is gone, I am ok with Romeo choosing either way. To me, if we just get our young guys more time to develop the culture while getting a lot of PT, then I would be just as happy as I would be if we had Romeo for just one season. So essentially, there is a glass half full with and without Romeo.

Reactions: bsmitty08
The level of competition is higher in the Big Ten, but it’s not higher in the tournament where he won games with two star recruits. Everything is going to be ok because there is a basketball coach in Bloomington. After this year, we will be in the tournament every year with a chance to make a deep run. That’s all I could ever ask for.

Last edited:
The level of competition is higher in the Big Ten, but it’s not higher in the tournament. Where he won games with two star recruits. Everything is going to be ok because we have a basketball coach. After this year, we will be in the tournament every year with a chance to make a deep run. That’s all I could ever ask for.

I totally get your point but at the same time, I can name a ton of coaches that mirrored CAM's mid major successes but didn't transpire at more prominent programs. Either way, I think his style and focus on defense is one that breeds consistent success. Just have to go through the bumps and enjoy watching the team grow.

No, it is over. We are done. Garland was our last chance at greatness. Time to move on from Archie, he is a complete failure. A seventeen year old kid didn't pick my alma mater, my life has been destroyed.

I totally get your point but at the same time, I can name a ton of coaches that mirrored CAM's mid major successes but didn't transpire at more prominent programs. Either way, I think his style and focus on defense is one that breeds consistent success. Just have to go through the bumps and enjoy watching the team grow.
There is a chance that Archie isn’t the guy that will hang the next banner, but he knows the game and he appears to fit stylistically with our brand. I don’t expect him to struggle because he has Indiana high school basketball at his disposal. You just gotta trust that playing the game the right way for a hundred years in Indiana will pay off. You might grab a beer though, because we haven’t tapped into it the way it should have been in a long time. It might take awhile to repair.

Last edited:
No, it is over. We are done. Garland was our last chance at greatness. Time to move on from Archie, he is a complete failure. A seventeen year old kid didn't pick my alma mater, my life has been destroyed.
Over? Did you say it's over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Wat shot Kensucky? Hell no!.

What the heck happened to the IU I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst.

Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Seton Hall is dead man. Duke, dead! Louisville, except for the horses...whatever... dead!

Crean recruited players...
Faster. Yes.
Stronger. Yes.
Taller. Yes.
Longer. Yes.

Smarter? No.

Last edited:
Reactions: largemouth
Over? Did you say it's over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Wat shot Kensucky? Hell no!.

What the heck happened to the IU I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst.

Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Seton Hall is dead man. Duke, dead! Louisville, except for the horses...whatever... dead!

He didn't say it but I assumed that what he said was DWS. Maybe your post was the same.

Reactions: 37Hoosier
18 is a foundation class, but 19 needs to be a great class. We need some recruits to move the needle..we haven’t landed those types yet

He didn't say it but I assumed that what he said was DWS. Maybe your post was the same.
That was liberally fractured after being stolen from Bluto's speech in Animal House. I know the previous post was DWS. Mine too. Both were obvious jokes. Or so I thought.

Reactions: 37Hoosier
I believe the Duke game will give you a great barometer of the talent gap there really is between an elite team and a program that is lower tier in its conference.
IU will play hard and make some gradual progress but this group is going to struggle mightily all season.
Our guys really struggle to put the ball in the basket.

Reactions: bsmitty08

I hope you are not serious and recognize sarcasm when you see it.Or maybe I don't see yours I am not sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT