ADVERTISEMENT

Archie's PC

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Didn't seem very upset.

Seems that the team accomplished most of the goals he set for it.

Didn't dwell on the team scoring only 60 points.

Basically, 'A bounce here and there, and Ayo's an AA' .

He even had a 'you gotta tip your hat' reference, which was funny, because someone on here predicted it.

If this performance is acceptable to him then it should be acceptable to us, and more importantly acceptable to the players.

If this is acceptable to him then he needs to catch the next train out of Bloomington. He cannot coach offense whatsoever and he needs to can the pack-line crap and man up. Year 4 and I don't see any improvement at all in the defense, regardless what the numbers say.

Reactions: IUgradman
If this performance is acceptable to him then it should be acceptable to us, and more importantly acceptable to the players.
No.

3 offense rebounds and too many baskets missed at the rim. Not enough trips to the FT line. Dominated overall on the boards.

We shot from 3 well and didn't turn the ball over. < those are skill and efficiency things. Good on both as they are team goals this year.

But, the above listed first, are all effort things. Rebounding is effort. Having urgency and concentrating on having balance on shots at the rim. Ya know, having your feet under you and going up strong towards the basket, instead of weak unbalanced and away from the defender.

Just a little more effort and that game was winnable. We did some things well, that's great.. but Race missed 2 bunnies, Hunter missed 2 bunnies, TJD left a lot of points unscored. the guards (RP/AD) were very weak to start and finish. and we only had 3 offensive boards.

Regardless....

What a coach says during an interview is meaningless. It's meaningless if you disagree, it's meaningless if you agree. It's probably meaningless to him and pretty sure what he said will be meaningless to the players in the next practice.

The team needs to rebound much better than they are. The guards (AD/RP) need to be more aggressive (like the 1st part of the 2nd half) and get into the lane more. TJD needs to quit trying to finesse bunnies and go up with strength and the intent of getting fouled.

So, no. f**k that .. they need to work on some things ..

No.

3 offense rebounds and too many baskets missed at the rim. Not enough trips to the FT line. Dominated overall on the boards.

We shot from 3 well and didn't turn the ball over. < those are skill and efficiency things. Good on both as they are team goals this year.

But, the above listed first, are all effort things. Rebounding is effort. Having urgency and concentrating on having balance on shots at the rim. Ya know, having your feet under you and going up strong towards the basket, instead of weak unbalanced and away from the defender.

Just a little more effort and that game was winnable. We did some things well, that's great.. but Race missed 2 bunnies, Hunter missed 2 bunnies, TJD left a lot of points unscored. the guards (RP/AD) were very weak to start and finish. and we only had 3 offensive boards.

Regardless....

What a coach says during an interview is meaningless. It's meaningless if you disagree, it's meaningless if you agree. It's probably meaningless to him and pretty sure what he said will be meaningless to the players in the next practice.

The team needs to rebound much better than they are. The guards (AD/RP) need to be more aggressive (like the 1st part of the 2nd half) and get into the lane more. TJD needs to quit trying to finesse bunnies and go up with strength and the intent of getting fouled.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but you already knew that.

Reactions: kkott and T.M.P.
Yeah..I'm still with him..Barely ..
But I was surprised with his ..Well they have guy's that are match up problems for the whole conference..
He should say ..We need more out of many on this this team..And really.. Trayce didn't have his A game today for us..
Idk...The inside game was glareing to me ..
Think rebounds were 48 - 26 or in that range.
Brunk injury is big imo..

No.

Regardless....

Yeah ..And REALLY Bi$ch about it !!!

Yeah ..And REALLY Bi$ch about it !!!
Naw, I'd rather not.

Pointing out obvious flaws in the game isn't bitching. It's just pointing out obvious flaws. Every team has them every game has them.

Bitching is using the word "I" over and over, always accompanied by some variation of "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" or other dumb shit.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
If this is acceptable to him then he needs to catch the next train out of Bloomington. He cannot coach offense whatsoever and he needs to can the pack-line crap and man up. Year 4 and I don't see any improvement at all in the defense, regardless what the numbers say.

Wow.... hard to believe there are so called basketball fans this stupid. Illinois had been in the 80s-90s+ every game this year but one they scored 77

No.

Regardless....

Fighting Cockburn for rebounds requires more than effort: good luck blocking him out and moving him. Have you ever tried blocking somebody that size out? Cockburn has a natural rebounding advantage over smaller, weaker players. If you are smaller, but really strong and freakish like Dennis Rodman or Charles Barkley, that's a little different story. IU doesn't have anybody that matches up with Cockburn. Cockburn was the rebounding difference: he had 15, which is more than Trayce and Race combined.

The obvious thing Archie should have done to neutralize or, heaven forbid, have an advantage down low, would be to recruit bigger players. I appreciate Brunk, but he isn't doing any good on the bench.

No.

Regardless....

Post game press conferences are as worthless as the handshake line.

Fighting Cockburn for rebounds requires more than effort: good luck blocking him out and moving him. Have you ever tried blocking somebody that size out? Cockburn has a natural rebounding advantage over smaller, weaker players. If you are smaller, but really strong and freakish like Dennis Rodman or Charles Barkley, that's a little different story. IU doesn't have anybody that matches up with Cockburn. Cockburn was the rebounding difference: he had 15, which is more than Trayce and Race combined.

The obvious thing Archie should have done to neutralize or, heaven forbid, have an advantage down low, would be to recruit bigger players. I appreciate Brunk, but he isn't doing any good on the bench.
Fighting cockburn in general is an iffy thing

No.

Regardless....

Dumb

Reactions: Radio Zero
I would rather watch paint dry then hear archie speak. He is so boring and says the same stupid stuff. I didn't listen to the press conference but I bet he said something like. I'm proud of our team today we played hard and if we could of made a couple more shots or rebounded the ball better we might have won this game no *hit Sherlock.

I would rather watch paint dry then hear archie speak. He is so boring and says the same stupid stuff. I didn't listen to the press conference but I bet he said something like. I'm proud of our team today we played hard and if we could of made a couple more shots or rebounded the ball better we might have won this game no *hit Sherlock.

Gotta tip our hat to Texas, Florida State, Northwestern, Illinois....next?!
Please take a number and wait your turn for a tip of the hat to your fine team from Lil Arch and the Hoosiers! We love to tip some hats!

Yeah..I'm still with him..Barely ..
But I was surprised with his ..Well they have guy's that are match up problems for the whole conference..
He should say ..We need more out of many on this this team..And really.. Trayce didn't have his A game today for us..
Idk...The inside game was glareing to me ..
Think rebounds were 48 - 26 or in that range.
Brunk injury is big imo..

It only seemed that bad. The box score was actually Illinois 40 to Indiana’s 28 in rebounds. Brunk would not have changed the outcome of the game, but he could have taken a few of Kofi Cockburn’s 15pts/15rebs (30 mins). Kofi is a matchup nightmare at 7’0 and 285lbs. Kofi looked like that 5th grade coach that scrimmages with his players and dominates the entire practice. We looked really small when Kofi was in the game. How many more Kofi type players do we face this year? Somehow we need to get more rebounds...

Illinois is ranked 30th in rebounds per game (42.3 RPG)

Indiana is ranked 205th (32.5 RPG)

Last edited:
I am less concerned with the talent and abilities of this team than I am with the mindset. Losing 12 of 13 like we did 2 seasons ago is a difficult thing to do, unless you have a team that the coach has lost, and they just don’t give a crap. Had we just gone 3-9 over those 12 games, but I digress ...

Back to this season. Is RP messed up in the head? Is he scared due to his past injuries (concussions)? He had a couple of aggressive moves to the basket yesterday, that is available to him all day if he would just go into attack mode. He could shoot 10 free throws a game. But we see him spending most of his minutes lackadaisically bringing the ball up the court , and taking the air out of the offense with needless dribbling. Clearly Miller sees it too. He is averaging a tick over 23 mpg, Galloway is a hair under 23 mpg. I’m not sure Phin got the message when Trey got the start, but perhaps it was last minute and it needs time to sink in. Rob needs to start playing with a sense of urgency, a sense of purpose and frankly show some toughness. It’s not too late, but I’m just a poster on a forum and and not a shrink.

Al’s problem seems to be more physical. He lacks the beef to finish. When he was warming up I noticed his undershirt with the pads in them, like football players have. He’s pretty thin for a senior, and he struggles physically to finish at the rim.

Franklin is on fire, 50% from beyond the arc on the year.

When we lost to NU I felt they wanted it more. The Illini played tougher down the stretch.

I see flashes of it with our team, but the mindset of this team just seems a little off. This year it’s all about staying focused, being prepared each game, grinding and giving 40 minutes of mentally tough effort. It’s especially important with no energy from the fans.

Last edited:
You are wrong about the defense. It’s very good and effective. Its great to see it working better every year. It’s not the reason for the loss.

Can't tell if this serious or trolling or just frustration boiling over from a horrible offensive game.

lol....actually that is almost exactly what he said.

What's funny is all the 'reporters' went right along with it. Like it's perfectly normal trying to win games 62-60 by tightening up our ass sphincters a little more.

It only seemed that bad. The box score was actually Illinois 40 to Indiana’s 28 in rebounds. Brunk would not have changed the outcome of the game, but he could have taken a few of Kofi Cockburn’s 15pts/15rebs (30 mins). Kofi is a matchup nightmare at 7’0 and 285lbs. Kofi looked like that 5th coach that scrimmages with his players and dominates the entire practice. We looked really small when Kofi was in the game. How many more Kofi type players do we face this year? Somehow we need to get more rebounds...

Illinois is ranked 30th in rebounds per game (42.3 RPG)

Indiana is ranked 205th (32.5 RPG)

Damn....didn't realize the rebounding's been that bad this year.

What's the upside for a team that is excellent on D, but doesn't pass or handle it all that well, is less than average rebounding, can't shoot 3s or FTs, and isn't particularly mentally tough? Seems like about 8-12 in the Big Ten.

Bingo and Bravo!!!

I am less concerned with the talent and abilities of this team than I am with the mindset. Losing 12 of 13 like we did 2 seasons ago is a difficult thing to do, unless you have a team that the coach has lost, and they just don’t give a crap. Had we just gone 3-9 over those 12 games, but I digress ...

Back to this season. Is RP messed up in the head? Is he scared due to his past injuries (concussions)? He had a couple of aggressive moves to the basket yesterday, that is available to him all day if he would just go into attack mode. He could shoot 10 free throws a game. But we see him spending most of his minutes lackadaisically bringing the ball up the court , and taking the air out of the offense with needless dribbling. Clearly Miller sees it too. He is averaging a tick over 23 mpg, Galloway is a hair under 23 mpg. I’m not sure Phin got the message when Trey got the start, but perhaps it was last minute and it needs time to sink in. Rob needs to start playing with a sense of urgency, a sense of purpose and frankly show some toughness. It’s not too late, but I’m just a poster on a forum and and not a shrink.

Al’s problem seems to be more physical. He lacks the beef to finish. When he was warming up I noticed his undershirt with the pads in them, like football players have. He’s pretty thin for a senior, and he struggles physically to finish at the rim.

Franklin is on fire, 50% from beyond the arc on the year.

When we lost to NU I felt they wanted it more. The Illini played tougher down the stretch.

I see flashes of it with our team, but the mindset of this team just seems a little off. This year it’s all about staying focused, being prepared each game, grinding and giving 40 minutes of mentally tough effort. It’s especially important with no energy from the fans.
Yes, but they don't do that. I mean, it's hard, really f'n hard to lose 12 of 13 with a lottery pick on your team and the one you win is against MSU, on the road, who should have kicked your ass there? That's called coaching and effort and chemistry and consistency, none of which AM or his players has exemplified thus far. He'll be pushed out next year, fired or not, they'll let others pursue him and him pursue opportunities. The body of work so far does NOT deserve an extension. Hello Crean!

Naw, I'd rather not.

Pointing out obvious flaws in the game isn't bitching. It's just pointing out obvious flaws. Every team has them every game has them.

Bitching is using the word "I" over and over, always accompanied by some variation of "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" or other dumb shit.
..No I meant Archie should be bitching about the play of his own player's..

Well, recruiting bigger players can't happen this year, so you are reduced to fighting Kofi for every board, blocking him out, etc... and yes, I've had to do that against much bigger players, and there are boards you're not going to get, but you can still fight for yours, or at least push him out and mitigate him so your teammates get more. But the best strategy in that situation is to beat him down the floor, and also to try and foul him out.

Didn't seem very upset.

Seems that the team accomplished most of the goals he set for it.

Didn't dwell on the team scoring only 60 points.

Basically, 'A bounce here and there, and Ayo's an AA' .

He even had a 'you gotta tip your hat' reference, which was funny, because someone on here predicted it.

it doesn’t seem to me that the players have any respect for archie. When he takes them out and wants to talk to them along the bench they walk right past him, no words, eye contact, or anything. TJD is the worst at this. Compare that to Underwood. In the second half during a timeout Underwood totally ripped him. You could read his lips at the end “get the effing rebound,”. The next 5 minutes Cockburn dominated both ends. Archie is a joke.

Reactions: Cavanagh
it doesn’t seem to me that the players have any respect for archie. When he takes them out and wants to talk to them along the bench they walk right past him, no words, eye contact, or anything. TJD is the worst at this. Compare that to Underwood. In the second half during a timeout Underwood totally ripped him. You could read his lips at the end “get the effing rebound,”. The next 5 minutes Cockburn dominated both ends. Archie is a joke.

I totally agree about that tongue lashing Cockburn got. 100% correlated to his play over the rest of the game. I have never seen Archie do that, and it appears the players have a more friend relationship with him. Many of them refer to him as Arch or Archie. That might not mean a damn thing, but weird to me. I have never called a coach by their first name.

That's what it looks like.

The thing about Underwood.....he's going to say the wrong thing to the wrong guy at the wrong time, and he'll be on his way out. Micro-aggressions and all....

ADVERTISEMENT