ADVERTISEMENT

Archie's offense.............

victorbear

All-Big Ten
Sep 28, 2005
is worse than Creans' defense. There is no half court offense, down 12-0 IU got back into the game with great defense and essentially transition offense, Jesus even Archie's wiki page says his offense is based on the fast break, teams that don't turn it over will kill him.

He hasn’t brought in any shooters. That’s the problem.
Wrong he doesn't know how to make them better shooters, look at Oladipo became a better shooter at IU. What player has gotten better shooting the ball in 3 years with lil Arch.

Is way too heavily dependent on getting to the free throw line. Rutgers showed how easy it is to beat us last night, play zone and avoid committing shooting fouls.

Is way too heavily dependent on getting to the free throw line. Rutgers showed how easy it is to beat us last night, play zone and avoid committing shooting fouls.
Yep the final piece is no transition baskets for IU then Archie's offense is done'

is worse than Creans' defense. There is no half court offense, down 12-0 IU got back into the game with great defense and essentially transition offense, Jesus even Archie's wiki page says his offense is based on the fast break, teams that don't turn it over will kill him.
Ahhhhh but do remember this is a "totally revamped" offense to the famed blockers and movers offense!

Reactions: Hoosierfan4eva
Archie never had a great offense in his life I think his best was 30 something at Dayton, now he's facing better coaching in Big Ten, he probably could win games in lowly Atlantic 10 shooting poorly from 3 cause he'd get a bunch of transition garbage.

Clearly this is a complete opposite style as Crean’s teams. Archie has them playing defense and playing hard. The last step is to get some guys to step up and hit shots. The meat and potatoes are there. Stars need to rise now.

Clearly this is a complete opposite style as Crean’s teams. Archie has them playing defense and playing hard. The last step is to get some guys to step up and hit shots. The meat and potatoes are there. Stars need to rise now.
That's no different than when we all hoped a few of Crean's players would guard better, then most just blamed the players saying "obviously the coach teaches defense" now we are saying we have bad shooters yet maybe like Crean they aren't taught how to shoot, can't blame the coach thought.

Why was Arman Franklin recruited if he can't shoot, who did that. Guards like him are a dime a dozen, oh that's right we have to only recruit Indiana kids.

Reactions: ulrey
I've been critical of the offense not making it easier to get these guys opens looks in the flow of the offense. We saw some of the standing around and just passing it around the arc last night looking to pass it in the paint but the majority of the shots were open looks in the flow of the offense. They were even shooting airballs from the paint last night. Baffling.

I'm not optimistic but reality is Rutgers is a solid team and IU has yet to shoot itself in the foot as far as not making the tourney. Maybe they've tried and just missed.

Just take care of business at home and get some consistency over the last 12-13 games. I think it will only take one guy to break out shooting the ball and maybe the rest will follow. I hope it is Hunter. He seems close to a breakout but this ain't horseshoes.

That's no different than when we all hoped a few of Crean's players would guard better, then most just blamed the players saying "obviously the coach teaches defense" now we are saying we have bad shooters yet maybe like Crean they aren't taught how to shoot, can't blame the coach thought.
I am not a coach, but I imagine getting players to play hard defense is far more difficult than getting them to hit shots. Hitting shots is intuitive. Everyone wants to be that guy. We are creating better looks than the first of the year, which is coaching. Guys need to hit shots.

IU had a lot of open shots, but that is by design of the defense. Rutgers is 8th in Def eff on KenPom, Nebraska is 130th. Should be infinitely easier to score (and draw fouls) in the next game. Either way, teams will continue to pack it in on us.

I know Painter runs this 4 out, 1 in motion offense. You can see the weave at the top of the key. You got guys cutting. You got guys sprinting around screens. This leads to many open looks. They run this almost every time they run a half court offense. As far as IU, I don't see a particular offense being run. Because of this, the team chemistry seems jacked up. The same was true with Crean. You guys know your team better than I do but that is what I see looking from the outside in.

I know Painter runs this 4 out, 1 in motion offense. You can see the weave at the top of the key. You got guys cutting. You got guys sprinting around screens. This leads to many open looks. They run this almost every time they run a half court offense. As far as IU, I don't see a particular offense being run. Because of this, the team chemistry seems jacked up. The same was true with Crean. You guys know your team better than I do but that is what I see looking from the outside in.

We seem to experiment with lineups a lot. It's difficult to get that team chemistry if you change the lineup every few minutes.

I wouldn't count on Al shooting over 34% this year.

In his first 4 games he was 9/17, 53%. in the subsequent 13 games, he's 9/33, 27%.

Do you have a better example?

I simply answered who has improved their shooting. Al Durham is someone who has improved his shooting from year 1 till now.

Archie's never had a great offense or a great shooting team why this is surprising IU fans is quite remarkable. All they have to do is go back and look statistically at Daytons Ken Pom offense and Dayton's shooting % as a team when lil Arch was there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT