ADVERTISEMENT

Archie

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
My problem with him isnt Xs and OS. His whole laid back approach seems to filter to his team. I'm not sure about his motivation skills.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
In all fairness, it is hard to win playing 4 on 5. They never tried to guard Smith from outside and nobody else (Fits, Rob, AD...) hit enough to make a difference. They just packed it in an would not let Morgan beat them. DG hit some 3s but he took a lot. Not enough to change the game.

What was Archie going apeshit over on the inbounds pass where the OSU guy fell inbounding the ball?

I was surprised to see Archie caring...but didn’t understand what his fit was about...

In all fairness, it is hard to win playing 4 on 5. They never tried to guard Smith from outside and nobody else (Fits, Rob, AD...) hit enough to make a difference. They just packed it in an would not let Morgan beat them. DG hit some 3s but he took a lot. Not enough to change the game.

DG had 26 points on 9/15 shooting. He was who Romeo should have been today. An amazing 8-10 from 3 point land.

What was Archie going apeshit over on the inbounds pass where the OSU guy fell inbounding the ball?

I was surprised to see Archie caring...but didn’t understand what his fit was about...

I think if the ball had touched the ground, out of bounds, it would have been a turnover?

Reactions: cryano
He is a bust. The homers can’t see it yet but after another crappy season next year maybe they will.
No adjustments at all, comeback win against Sparty was a total fluke.

Oh FFS, you dimwits. The perfect coach is a unicorn. Crean was ran out of town because he didn't care about defense or ball security. Archie does, and for the most part, he's changed that. Reversing an entire culture and identity of a program, unfortunately, takes time. Especially when you have to spend the first two thirds of your second season with half the roster injured, hobbled and/or suspended.

Today sucks and I'm pissed, but I'm also smart enough and rational enough to understand that scapegoating a coach - who isn't going anywhere for at least the next two years anyway - is counterproductive and won't help me get over it.

Archie has establised his foundation - now he needs to turn his attention to offense and figure out how to improve that. If he can't put it together by this time 2021, then maybe he's not the guy, but bitching about him now and declaring his tenure a "bust" only makes you look like a moron. How 'bout you just take page out of the political playbook and make up a boogyman like a 'deep state' or 'caravan' to help you deal with your fragile emotions?

Oh FFS, you dimwits. The perfect coach is a unicorn. Crean was ran out of town because he didn't care about defense or ball security. Archie does, and for the most part, he's changed that. Reversing an entire culture and identity of a program, unfortunately, takes time. Especially when you have to spend the first two thirds of your second season with half the roster injured, hobbled and/or suspended.

Today sucks and I'm pissed, but I'm also smart enough and rational enough to understand that scapegoating a coach - who isn't going anywhere for at least the next two years anyway - is counterproductive and won't help me get over it.

Archie has establised his foundation - now he needs to turn his attention to offense and figure out how to improve that. If he can't put it together by this time 2021, then maybe he's not the guy, but bitching about him now and declaring his tenure a "bust" only makes you look like a moron. How 'bout you just take page out of the political playbook and make up a boogyman like a 'deep state' or 'caravan' to help you deal with your fragile emotions?
Still sore about 2016!!!! loser

Smith reverted back to being a non-threat offensively. He needs to really practice a consistent perimter jumpshot, and develop more post moves.

some? how about 8 out of 10

Reactions: cryano

You didn’t watch the game did you? He was 8-10 literally on fire. Didn’t make enough lol.

I've never seen an inbounder fall down before. I know you can't cross the out of bounds line. Is that traveling?

I assume if the ball would have hit the ground, it would have been a violation. It’s the first time I’ve seen a player fall down like that.

Last edited:

Good post. Some people still think it’s 1987. For these people every coach is a bust. Some people just choose to not live in reality. The same people who want Archie gone are the same people that think an elite coach is going to want a job that just fired its coach 2 years in..because its “IU”.

I don't know if he is a bust yet but why the hell do we need to wait until 2021? That is four ****ing years man. Tom Crean inherited a team with basically 2 players left on it and he was in the Sweet 16 in year 4. If you give him a pass for year 1, why on earth should it take a coach who is A)hired to replace Crean and therefore supposed to be a better option and B)obviously walked into a better situation just as long to turn things around?

I am completely fine with saying that Miller should not be fired after this year but I am not cool with waiting 4 years. A guy who inherited a team with 2 returning players and had recruiting sanctions was able to get things going in 4 years. He got a pass for year one because he had to build a completely new team, please explain to me why it should take the guy hired to be his replacement even longer? Listen, that team over in Columbus that swept us this year, does not have a better roster. We were healthy going into this game. We had everything to play for and we laid an egg. We looked exactly like we did while losing 12 of 13. That should be a red flag to everyone.

We are about to lose our 2 most productive players and we are at a point wher Miller has to make the tournament next year IMO. There is no excuse not to have a team in place that can do that. Tom Crean is a mediocre Coach and if you throw out the first year where he had nothing returning, he basically had 2 building years and was then in the Sweet 16.

Miller will probably get to 2021 no matter what but if he misses the tournament next year he should not.

I don't know if he is a bust yet but why the hell do we need to wait until 2021? That is four ****ing years man. Tom Crean inherited a team with basically 2 players left on it and he was in the Sweet 16 in year 4. If you give him a pass for year 1, why on earth should it take a coach who is A)hired to replace Crean and therefore supposed to be a better option and B)obviously walked into a better situation just as long to turn things around?

I am completely fine with saying that Miller should not be fired after this year but I am not cool with waiting 4 years. A guy who inherited a team with 2 returning players and had recruiting sanctions was able to get things going in 4 years. He got a pass for year one because he had to build a completely new team, please explain to me why it should take the guy hired to be his replacement even longer? Listen, that team over in Columbus that swept us this year, does not have a better roster. We were healthy going into this game. We had everything to play for and we laid an egg. We looked exactly like we did while losing 12 of 13. That should be a red flag to everyone.

We are about to lose our 2 most productive players and we are at a point wher Miller has to make the tournament next year IMO. There is no excuse not to have a team in place that can do that. Tom Crean is a mediocre Coach and if you throw out the first year where he had nothing returning, he basically had 2 building years and was then in the Sweet 16.

Miller will probably get to 2021 no matter what but if he misses the tournament next year he should not.
Yes......next year he must make the NCAA or at the very least show that 2020-2021 would b a super season

Thursday March 14th was a good day for the CULT. If you don't believe me just re-read this thread, there out an about very strong.

Which cult would that be, those who are all doom and gloom or the one who would have you believe that everything is hunky-dory?

It is not the apocalypse like some are letting on but just as equally, this was a bad, underachieving, disappointment of a year that was filled with far too many games like yesterday. Does that mean that Miller sucks as a coach? Not necessarily, but it should mean that he is on thinner ice. This year was not a good year. Nobody can argue that. Parts of it looked good and parts of it were an unmitigated disaster. Miller absolutely MUST do better with next year's roster.

I saw that also. If Smith could become an offensive threat he would be a completely different player and we would be a different team

Which cult would that be, those who are all doom and gloom or the one who would have you believe that everything is hunky-dory?

It is not the apocalypse like some are letting on but just as equally, this was a bad, underachieving, disappointment of a year that was filled with far too many games like yesterday. Does that mean that Miller sucks as a coach? Not necessarily, but it should mean that he is on thinner ice. This year was not a good year. Nobody can argue that. Parts of it looked good and parts of it were an unmitigated disaster. Miller absolutely MUST do better with next year's roster.
There's no doubt IU laid an egg yesterday. I understand being frustrated at the coach, but calling for him to get fired is ridicules. If he has the same results next year with a healthy team than I understand.

There's no doubt IU laid an egg yesterday. I understand being frustrated at the coach, but calling for him to get fired is ridicules. If he has the same results next year with a healthy team than I understand.

I am not just frustrated with the coach. I am frustrated with the team more than anything. My Lord, even after the tremendous hole that they dug themselves by mailing in the majority of the Big Ten season, they still had every opportunity in the world to salvage things. That game yesterday is the type of game that I would expect any D1 athlete to automatically be up for. The coaching staff should not have to pull a bunch of strings to get a team up for that type of game.

Yesterday was 70% on the players IMO. Your job as a coach is to prepare the team and we finally went on a big run when it clicked with the majority of the team that, "hey, we are playing a game here..." It was the same gameplan and it suddenly started to work when the effort went up.

Morgan, playing for his last chance to be in the NCAA tournament, barely showed up. Langford, looked like he was ready for the season to be over so he could collect his check up to about the end of the game. Smith was nowhere to be found. Green usually drives me crazy with mistakes but at least he got off the damn bus yesterday. No, yesterday was not all on Miller. We have some apparently soft and disinterested guys on this team who only dial in occasionally.

IMO, when you get to this level, I do not care how talented you are. The talent gap is not large enough for 99% of all players to overcome lack of effort. You may be an athletic freak but a guy who hustles and can shoot can make you look really freaking average if you are not fully committed. I question the commitment of quite a few guys on our team to get and be better.

You didn’t watch the game did you? He was 8-10 literally on fire. Didn’t make enough lol.

The game was still going when I added that comment. He ended up hitting 2 or 3 more after. To his credit he did not quit and they kept fighting.

Dayton improved modestly in Archie's 3rd season. Years 4 and 5 were his big seasons. So letting him go after next year would probably be too soon.

That said, I'd make sure the right leadership is in place to pick a new coach in case things really go off the rails.

I am not just frustrated with the coach. I am frustrated with the team more than anything. My Lord, even after the tremendous hole that they dug themselves by mailing in the majority of the Big Ten season, they still had every opportunity in the world to salvage things. That game yesterday is the type of game that I would expect any D1 athlete to automatically be up for. The coaching staff should not have to pull a bunch of strings to get a team up for that type of game.

Yesterday was 70% on the players IMO. Your job as a coach is to prepare the team and we finally went on a big run when it clicked with the majority of the team that, "hey, we are playing a game here..." It was the same gameplan and it suddenly started to work when the effort went up.

Morgan, playing for his last chance to be in the NCAA tournament, barely showed up. Langford, looked like he was ready for the season to be over so he could collect his check up to about the end of the game. Smith was nowhere to be found. Green usually drives me crazy with mistakes but at least he got off the damn bus yesterday. No, yesterday was not all on Miller. We have some apparently soft and disinterested guys on this team who only dial in occasionally.

IMO, when you get to this level, I do not care how talented you are. The talent gap is not large enough for 99% of all players to overcome lack of effort. You may be an athletic freak but a guy who hustles and can shoot can make you look really freaking average if you are not fully committed. I question the commitment of quite a few guys on our team to get and be better.
They will come out ready to play in the NIT just you wait...............

Dayton improved modestly in Archie's 3rd season. Years 4 and 5 were his big seasons. So letting him go after next year would probably be too soon.

That said, I'd make sure the right leadership is in place to pick a new coach in case things really go off the rails.

Dayton fan here. I come to your board occasionally to see how you are treating our former coach:).

AM's third year was the year we went to E8, with mostly 2* and 3* players. We had one 4* JR who was a transfer. That team was not doing well until mid Jan and then turned things around. Final record 26-11

I think the following year was his best coaching year. We had 6 scholarship players (1SR, 1JR, 3SO, 1FR), and a SR walk on who was in the regular rotation.None were over 6'6". They won 2 NCAA games, but simply wore out and lost by 6 to OK after leading most of the game. Final record 27-9.

He is a good coach, Stay patient a while longer and I think you"ll be rewarded.

Dayton fan here. I come to your board occasionally to see how you are treating our former coach:).

AM's third year was the year we went to E8, with mostly 2* and 3* players. We had one 4* JR who was a transfer. That team was not doing well until mid Jan and then turned things around. Final record 26-11

I think the following year was his best coaching year. We had 6 scholarship players (1SR, 1JR, 3SO, 1FR), and a SR walk on who was in the regular rotation.None were over 6'6". They won 2 NCAA games, but simply wore out and lost by 6 to OK after leading most of the game. Final record 27-9.

He is a good coach, Stay patient a while longer and I think you"ll be rewarded.

Sorry. They don't know the meaning of the word.
It's all about instant gratification.

I don't post much but add my two cents once in a while. When Archie got the job his three best players went pro. The recruiting class that Crean signed was average at best. This is the first class coach Miller signed. Injuries killed this season. Losing Hunter for the year really hurt. It was apparent there is some friction in this team. You could hear it at senior night. Archie needs more time. He didn't forget how to coach when he left Dayton. I know it's hard to be patient but that's the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT