ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Recruiting -getting great players

It’s the exact same thing. The best two vs the field. Basic statistics.
No, it isn’t.

Tiger AT HIS PEAK is not nearly the same as Duke or UK with a freshman-dominated roster without veterans.

Only a DS as yourself could ever try to make that comparison. #EpicFail

So a lot of coaches “don’t want” the top 10 recruits? That’s it? They just tell them thanks but no thanks, I’ll go get the 3 star instead of Zion?

Get old. Stay old. Say it with me...slowly if necessary.

Obviously all top 50 level programs reach out to any/all kids that fit their program...Zion is a good kid that plays hard, he fits every program. I’m sure at one point Archie, Izzo, Wright, etc... reached out at some point. And would have loved to have him. But they aren’t relying on freshman to carry them every year. Different philosophy. One that I prefer.

Get old. Stay old. Say it with me...slowly if necessary.

Obviously all top 50 level programs reach out to any/all kids that fit their program...Zion is a good kid that plays hard, he fits every program. I’m sure at one point Archie, Izzo, Wright, etc... reached out at some point. And would have loved to have him. But they aren’t relying on freshman to carry them every year. Different philosophy. One that I prefer.
He wants IU to be UK or Duke. I don’t think he wants any part of a program that doesn’t follow their way of doing things. He is impatient and due to that a process like Archie has makes no sense.

This sounds like something a kid would say at recess.

This sounds like something a moron would say as a wannabe insider.

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

Reactions: brianiu
If you’re successful at Northwestern you’re a really good coach. How can I make this simple enough for you?
And, after being the associate head coach with Dick Bennett for three years at Washington St - where they together they built the program - when it’s given over to Tony alone AFTER those 3 years of building you’re trying to equate to the same as Archie from day 1 at Indiana?

You a serious kind of stupid, feepaw . . . o_O

Keep in mind that Lander is moving up a grade and is playing one of the most important positions on a veteran team.

He's also crazy light weight wise.

In other words Lander is definitely going to be a part of the rotation but I'm not expecting a 'stud' until his sophomore year.

He's got a huge learning curve in front of him. He's not playing BNL anymore.

I disagree. I don’t think any of our current guards are talented enough to keep him off the court. I think Lander, in the second half of the season, will get the most minutes of any of the guards.

Reactions: cryano and minneman
I disagree. I don’t think any of our current guards are talented enough to keep him off the court. I think Lander, in the second half of the season, will get the most minutes of any of the guards.

He never said that Lander wasn't going to see the court.

You may want to re-read what was written.

He never said that Lander wasn't going to see the court.

You may want to re-read what was written.

I know he didn’t. I think Lander will be our best guard next year. I think Tommy is wrong that he will be a rotational player.

Last edited:
I know he didn’t. I think Lander will be our beat guard, next year. I think Tommy is wrong that he will be a rotational player.
What are you all thinking about Armaan Franklin this season? A bit of a forgotten man it seems.

What are you all thinking about Armaan Franklin this season? A bit of a forgotten man it seems.

Not sure about Franklin. I think he will definitely be in the rotation. If he shoots the ball well, he should play a lot. If not, probably be 8th or 9th man.

AM has a legitimate track record in acquiring talented players. What he doesn't have yet is a team with an identity outside of a group of individuals with varying talent levels. We all knew what BK's team identity was. Painter's team have an identity.

These are AM's players...it is time.

AM has a legitimate track record in acquiring talented players. What he doesn't have yet is a team with an identity outside of a group of individuals with varying talent levels. We all knew what BK's team identity was. Painter's team have an identity.

These are AM's players...it is time.
Very well said.

The one thing I’m looking for now: LEADERSHIP. To have a true team/program identity, you need to have strong leaders. I’m really interested in seeing who steps up and takes charge.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Very well said.

The one thing I’m looking for now: LEADERSHIP. To have a true team/program identity, you need to have strong leaders. I’m really interested in seeing who steps up and takes charge.

Leadership also helps establish a team's culture which is an internal aspect that fans won't have any awareness of. We learn a little about a team's culture anecdotally from former players years later.

But their identity is what we can see. Painter's teams have an identity of playing hard and playing defense...having that one lock down guy like Noel. You know what you are going to see. BK's teams were fundamentally sound...disciplined. You knew exactly what you were going to get when you played IU...you knew their identity...but could you stop it?

Does anyone know when Lander's birthday is? If he doesn't turn 19 in 2021, he'll be at IU at least 2 seasons even if he has an All-American type season. If he does turn 19 next year then he could be gone after 1 season. Turning 19 in the calendar year of the draft is an NBA requirement, at least for US players.
It is my understanding KL will Not be eligible for the '21 NBA Draft.

Reactions: MrBing and minneman
I know he didn’t. I think Lander will be our best guard next year. I think Tommy is wrong that he will be a rotational player.

Obviously hope so because he'll make our team so much better because our guard play has been an anchor.

It's a really tough position and he's 17 years old and small.

TJD was a physical pogo stick that could run and showed out at the junior Olympics.

Lander is a 17 year old point guard that we are asking to come in to learn/lead an offense while also learning a defense in a very physical league.

I think he'll play beside Rob and give us two ball handlers, similar to other highly rated point guards like Yogi and Cassius.

I haven't seen Lander other than mixtapes. I do know that TOS thinks he's the best point guard in his class. Baumgart, who is from Evansville, says that he's overrated as a point guard and is more a shooting/scoring guard and then also dinged him for not having more team success in HS.

I believe he was a second team all state in a weak senior class (Kaufman was a first teamer, not sure on Furst).

Anyway I'm happy as f that we got him. He's a huge, huge recruit at an area of need.

I'm just trying to balance out the hype VS expectation.

Hopefully we'll see!

How many have we won since 1988? Because Duke and UK have combined for 8 in that timeframe. Maybe we should do more of what they’re doing.

The entire Big 10 has not won a single title in 20 years and one title in 30 years. Connecticut won four during last 21 seasons.

The entire Big 10 has not won a single title in 20 years and one title in 30 years. Connecticut won four during last 21 seasons.
It’s not been pretty. But there are people on here so delusional they’ll criticize UK for “only” winning one title under Cal, while claiming that the Big Ten is the best or second best conference.

It’s not been pretty. But there are people on here so delusional they’ll criticize UK for “only” winning one title under Cal, while claiming that the Big Ten is the best or second best conference.
B10 has been 2nd best 7 of 18 years...losing each time in National Championship...
That’s pretty strong.
Surprising not to win one in what you’d generally think as a 50/50 game

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
B10 has been 2nd best 7 of 18 years...losing each time in National Championship...
That’s pretty strong.

Wow, I didn't realize that the number was that high. I agree with you that it is surprising not have won at least one of those.

That’s pretty strong.
True. You would think so. Typically the Big Ten team is more experienced with less talent and loses to one of the big boys with a bunch of NBA type talent.

Being like UK or Duke would be fine with me. However, you seem to think it's so easy to go out and bring in 4-5 five stars year after year. It's just not. If we fired Archie what coach could we realistically land that could come in and recruit like that? BillyD might be an option if our administration threw 8 figures at him but you know damn well they will never pay anywhere near that amount for a coach.

Our only option is the Villanova, VA, MSU, etc route.

Being like UK or Duke would be fine with me. However, you seem to think it's so easy to go out and bring in 4-5 five stars year after year. It's just not. If we fired Archie what coach could we realistically land that could come in and recruit like that? BillyD might be an option if our administration threw 8 figures at him but you know damn well they will never pay anywhere near that amount for a coach.

Our only option is the Villanova, VA, MSU, etc route.
I’ve always maintained that it’s not easy. Many on here seem to believe we “choose” not to land 5 star recruits. Like Archie just turns them down.

If we’re not willing to pay for the mega hire I’d rather start over with another young coach. We really can’t get much worse and the upside potential is there.

I’ve always maintained that it’s not easy. Many on here seem to believe we “choose” not to land 5 star recruits. Like Archie just turns them down.

If we’re not willing to pay for the mega hire I’d rather start over with another young coach. We really can’t get much worse and the upside potential is there.
Are you serious? Is this a troll post? Nobody has said we choose not to. We seem to choose players who are in state first. If it happens to be a 5* then it’s a bonus. Now is Archie going to recruit lost causes? He judges who he thinks we can get and at this point we aren’t going to out recruit UK and Duke.

Obviously hope so because he'll make our team so much better because our guard play has been an anchor.

It's a really tough position and he's 17 years old and small.

TJD was a physical pogo stick that could run and showed out at the junior Olympics.

Lander is a 17 year old point guard that we are asking to come in to learn/lead an offense while also learning a defense in a very physical league.

I think he'll play beside Rob and give us two ball handlers, similar to other highly rated point guards like Yogi and Cassius.

I haven't seen Lander other than mixtapes. I do know that TOS thinks he's the best point guard in his class. Baumgart, who is from Evansville, says that he's overrated as a point guard and is more a shooting/scoring guard and then also dinged him for not having more team success in HS.

I believe he was a second team all state in a weak senior class (Kaufman was a first teamer, not sure on Furst).

Anyway I'm happy as f that we got him. He's a huge, huge recruit at an area of need.

I'm just trying to balance out the hype VS expectation.

Hopefully we'll see!

I agree with your reasoning and you might end up correct (the odds favor you:)). I’m just not sold on any of our current guards being better than average big ten players and think Lander’s talent will win out in the end.

Last edited:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you serious? Is this a troll post? Nobody has said we choose not to. We seem to choose players who are in state first. If it happens to be a 5* then it’s a bonus. Now is Archie going to recruit lost causes? He judges who he thinks we can get and at this point we aren’t going to out recruit UK and Duke.
Many people on here believe we “choose” not to recruit like Duke and UK. Like they have the flawed system and we have it figured out. We’d rather recruit players who transfer rather than go to the NBA. It’s incredibly dumb.

Many people on here believe we “choose” not to recruit like Duke and UK. Like they have the flawed system and we have it figured out. We’d rather recruit players who transfer rather than go to the NBA. It’s incredibly dumb.
I'd say your post is incredibly dumb, but it's to be expected from the board's dunce.

Who? I’ve never seen any posts like that. We aren’t going to recruit like that. If you even think that, you are delusional.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The Hoosiers hold the No. 11 class in the country and the top ranked class in the Big Ten. This is the second time in three years that IU has held that honor. In addition, Archie Miller will now bring in the top ranked recruit in the Big Ten in two of the last three classes as well (Langford, Lander).

BETTER START WINNING!!!!!!!

No more excuses???
They HAVE been winning...

Your grasp of reality and/or your ability to communicate that reality in written form may be the worst in the history of mankind.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT