ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Recruiting -getting great players

5-6 in the Big Ten?
You don’t seem to understand the process of getting better as a program. Have you seen the Kenpom rankings for the last 3 seasons. Context matters. If you were rational this would make sense. You seem irrationally impatient.

He said Lander and TJD

No he didn't.

He edited it. I quoted it so his original is what I quoted.

Still, TJD and Lander won't be the best inside outside duo in the big. If Lander averages more than 8 points a game next year, it'll be a plus for us.

You don’t seem to understand the process of getting better as a program. Have you seen the Kenpom rankings for the last 3 seasons. Context matters. If you were rational this would make sense. You seem irrationally impatient.
Games aren’t scored using Kenpom rankings. When they are then I’ll care what those say.

Yes. 5-6 in what is almost universally considered the best conference in the nation, next year, and he’ll win a lot of people over. Especially if that includes another top of the conference recruiting class with guys like Kaufman and maybe Mohammed.

Post season results will effect it too, obviously. As would the Purdue games, how we play in Maui, etc... Assuming Maui happens.
He lost the fan base already. He’s not going to win it back without either a Big Ten title or an Elite 8 run in the tournament. No one cares if he finishes 5th and wins a tournament game. They just don’t.

Reactions: cryano
We aren't what we were then. Neither are they.

What are each of them now? AFTER they fully adopted to OAD philosophy? AFTER they were first integrating into using OAD's into their program(s) and still had veterans (Miller for UK;Cook for Duke)? Since both schools DO NOT HAVE veterans as part of their core group, what have they done? How far have they gone?

Pretty obvious why you won't answer . . .
They’ve always recruited the best players they can get. Recruiting 101 really. And they’ve won 8 titles since we last sniffed one. So step aside.

Games aren’t scored using Kenpom rankings. When they are then I’ll care what those say.

NCAA selection committees care what they say. And it sounds like they will more than ever going forward. So you should care a little.

He lost the fan base already. He’s not going to win it back without either a Big Ten title or an Elite 8 run in the tournament. No one cares if he finishes 5th and wins a tournament game. They just don’t.

I do? That’d feel good. And it’d imply some really good wins in the best conference in the country. And would be further evidence Archie is building something worth following.

They’ve always recruited the best players they can get. Recruiting 101 really. And they’ve won 8 titles since we last sniffed one. So step aside.

8 titles since 2002? They have? I’d say we more than sniffed one that year. Come on man, we get your point. At least try to be accurate though with your arguments.

Just went back and looked at the last 40 national champions. 2 were led by more than a 1 or 2 freshman and sophomores. 15’ Duke and 12’ Kentucky. Early departures started to become more prevalent in the early/mid 2000s. So maybe 2 out of the last 15 or so is more applicable??

Either way, I’m going the Villanova, Virginia route. Get old, stay old, make runs every few years. Heck, even UNC with all their elite talent, won their titles on the backs of upper classmen. It’s more interesting to follow. And evidently it’s a more reliable path to final fours and national championships.

Speak for yourself. The only “fans” he lost are fans that run at the first sign of failure. You would have given up on Beilein, Tony Bennett, and Jay Wright too.

Just went back and looked at the last 40 national champions. 2 were led by more than a 1 or 2 freshman and sophomores. 15’ Duke and 12’ Kentucky. Early departures started to become more prevalent in the early/mid 2000s. So maybe 2 out of the last 15 or so is more applicable??

Either way, I’m going the Villanova, Virginia route. Get old, stay old, make runs every few years. Heck, even UNC with all their elite talent, won their titles on the backs of upper classmen. It’s more interesting to follow. And evidently it’s a more reliable path to final fours and national championships.
Get old, stay old, and sprinkle in the elite 1 and 2 year players.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Oh, really?

Didn’t realize Bobby Hurley, Tony Delk, Shane Battier, Allen Edwards and Jon Scheyer were all OAD.

Oh, they weren’t? So, they’re not being built the same way now that they were then? Guess you missed that, huh?

And all you can come back with is “step aside”. Why - so you can say this?

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You should if you knew what they are saying, but hey continue being unhappy while most of us know the direction the program is going.
You said the same thing about Crean. You were even more adamant then.

Speak for yourself. The only “fans” he lost are fans that run at the first sign of failure. You would have given up on Beilein, Tony Bennett, and Jay Wright too.
Do you know that Beilein and Bennett were proven at other big schools? You might want to educate yourself.

You don’t understand very basic statistics.

Let me give you an analogy. When Tiger was at his peak they were giving equal betting odds of him vs the field. So you either get him or the other dozens of golfers at even odds. Does this mean that every player in the field was as good as Tiger? Was Ernie Els equal to him? Of course not. But combined they’re equal.

You and others are doing the same thing against UK and Duke. You’re taking two programs against the entire field. And you really don’t understand the faults to your logic. You genuinely don’t. It’s incredibly asinine.

NCAA selection committees care what they say. And it sounds like they will more than ever going forward. So you should care a little.
Being on the bubble is a major indictment in and of itself.

Let me give you an analogy. When Tiger was at his peak they were giving equal betting odds of him vs the field. So you either get him or the other dozens of golfers at even odds. Does this mean that every player in the field was as good as Tiger? Was Ernie Els equal to him? Of course not. But combined they’re equal.

You and others are doing the same thing against UK and Duke. You’re taking two programs against the entire field. And you really don’t understand the faults to your logic. You genuinely don’t. It’s incredibly asinine.
Using Tiger against other golfers as an ANALogy (caps there intentionally) to make your point shows how little you understand this whole discussion.

Being on the bubble is a major indictment in and of itself.

whos talking about a bubble? 6th in the Big10 with a top 25 KenPom would be seeded higher than 6th in the B10 with a 70 KenPom.

for someone that tries to use statistics in other arguments, you’re pretty obtuse in this one.

KenPom ratings are both indicative of how good a team you have, and how your team will be seeded in the tournament. Not sure why you wouldn’t think they’re important.

Do you know that Beilein and Bennett were proven at other big schools? You might want to educate yourself.
There is no possible way you think Tony Bennett at Washington State had a better resume than Archie did at Dayton.

You are probably a Tom Crean fan, because he was “proven” before coming to IU.

So I’m your “expert” opinion, who should IU have hired when they hired Archie? Please say Alford so I can LMAO.

Washington State is a "big" school? lol.

And he was the defacto head coach along with his dad for 3 years - Dick said all alond he was taking the job so that Tony could take over, but he was going to help him get it established. That was 3 years.

You might want to educate yourself.

Yes, you definitely need to. :rolleyes:

Ha ha. Horrible analogy. For many reasons.

Namely though, there’s a finite amount of players every year that can win you enough games to even consider the OAD approach. UK and Duke currently get most of them. Other programs try as well, Memphis comes to mind. There’s a reason other coaches don’t attempt it. Even if they were successful, they’re drawing from a finite pool. And and unpredictable one each year. And then there’s the “methods” it takes to get some of those kids. And now the new dynamic that the truly impactful ones will likely be playing in the G League.

No...I think getting old and staying old is the way to go. And I’m damn glad we have a coach that believes in that.

Namely though, there’s a finite amount of players every year that can win you enough games to even consider the OAD approach. UK and Duke currently get most of them. Other programs try as well, Memphis comes to mind. There’s a reason other coaches don’t attempt it. Even if they were successful, they’re drawing from a finite pool. And and unpredictable one each year. And then there’s the “methods” it takes to get some of those kids. And now the new dynamic that the truly impactful ones will likely be playing in the G League.

No...I think getting old and staying old is the way to go. And I’m damn glad we have a coach that believes in that.
Spot on.

feepaw refuses to acknowledge that, after winning a title with OAD's along with VETERAN players, both Duke and UK have failed to get to the Final Four. Hell, Duke had the #1, #2 and #3 players in the entire country play in the same class - but almost lost to Central Florida in the round of 32 before losing to Michigan St in the Elite 8. An EXPERIENCED Michigan St. ;)

There is no possible way you think Tony Bennett at Washington State had a better resume than Archie did at Dayton.

You are probably a Tom Crean fan, because he was “proven” before coming to IU.

So I’m your “expert” opinion, who should IU have hired when they hired Archie? Please say Alford so I can LMAO.
According to him, Billy Donovan was already here. I think maybe the scarce real.estate market at the time kept him away though.

You forgot:
1997 Arizona Wildcats - Fresh: Mike Bibby, Eugene Edgerson; Sophs: Jason Terry, AJ Bramlett, Donell Harris; Also: Bennett Davidson was in his first year at Arizona after transferring from CC

2001 Duke Blue Devils - Fresh: Chris Duhon; Sophs: Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer

2003 Syracuse Orangemen - Fresh: Carmelo Anthony, Gerry McNamara, Billy Edelin; Sophs: Hakim Warrick

2006 Florida Gators - Sophs: Joakim Noah, Taurean Green, Corey Brewer, Al Horford

2011 UConn Huskies - Fresh: Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Roscoe Smith, Tyler Olander, Niels Giffey; Sophs: Alex Oriakhi, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel

So a lot of coaches “don’t want” the top 10 recruits? That’s it? They just tell them thanks but no thanks, I’ll go get the 3 star instead of Zion?

Washington State is a "big" school? lol.

And he was the defacto head coach along with his dad for 3 years - Dick said all alond he was taking the job so that Tony could take over, but he was going to help him get it established. That was 3 years.

Yes, you definitely need to. :rolleyes:
They’re in the PAC 12. That’s kind of a big conference.

whos talking about a bubble? 6th in the Big10 with a top 25 KenPom would be seeded higher than 6th in the B10 with a 70 KenPom.

for someone that tries to use statistics in other arguments, you’re pretty obtuse in this one.

KenPom ratings are both indicative of how good a team you have, and how your team will be seeded in the tournament. Not sure why you wouldn’t think they’re important.
Where would 11th place put you though?

Using Tiger against other golfers as an ANALogy (caps there intentionally) to make your point shows how little you understand this whole discussion.
It’s the exact same thing. The best two vs the field. Basic statistics.

Ok, I think you are just trolling because I don’t believe you are this naive. Enjoy the attention.
Big Ten records first 3 years:

Groce: 24-30 .444
7th
8th
7th

Archie: 26-32 .448
6th
9th
11th

Notice any similarities?

No he didn't.

He edited it. I quoted it so his original is what I quoted.

Still, TJD and Lander won't be the best inside outside duo in the big. If Lander averages more than 8 points a game next year, it'll be a plus for us.

So I guess I read it after He edited so I see your point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT