ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Recruiting -getting great players

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
The Hoosiers hold the No. 11 class in the country and the top ranked class in the Big Ten. This is the second time in three years that IU has held that honor. In addition, Archie Miller will now bring in the top ranked recruit in the Big Ten in two of the last three classes as well (Langford, Lander).

BETTER START WINNING!!!!!!!

No more excuses???

The Hoosiers hold the No. 11 class in the country and the top ranked class in the Big Ten. This is the second time in three years that IU has held that honor. In addition, Archie Miller will now bring in the top ranked recruit in the Big Ten in two of the last three classes as well (Langford, Lander).

No more excuses???
Will be surprised if we’re not a Top 4 (or higher) team in the conference. All things you want - talent, depth, experience - are in place.

If we were to struggle this coming year, any criticism of how good of a coach Miller is would be entirely justifiable. But I believe we’re gonna be a lot better than the last 3 years.

No more excuses???
The real question. Will you be selling t-shirts?

Will be surprised if we’re not a Top 4 (or higher) team in the conference. All things you want - talent, depth, experience - are in place.

If we were to struggle this coming year, any criticism of how good of a coach Miller is would be entirely justifiable. But I believe we’re gonna be a lot better than the last 3 years.

Yeah that's what I believe. I think we've been more than patient and we better start winning this season. Year 5 needs to be better than year 4 even if TJD and Lander both bolt. Hopefully by that point we're where we all want to be and we stay at the top consistently.

Reactions: IULouie
Yeah that's what I believe. I think we've been more than patient and we better start winning this season. Year 5 needs to be better than year 4 even if TJD and Lander both bolt. Hopefully by that point we're where we all want to be and we stay at the top consistently.
Does anyone know when Lander's birthday is? If he doesn't turn 19 in 2021, he'll be at IU at least 2 seasons even if he has an All-American type season. If he does turn 19 next year then he could be gone after 1 season. Turning 19 in the calendar year of the draft is an NBA requirement, at least for US players.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Does anyone know when Lander's birthday is? If he doesn't turn 19 in 2021, he'll be at IU at least 2 seasons even if he has an All-American type season. If he does turn 19 next year then he could be gone after 1 season. Turning 19 in the calendar year of the draft is an NBA requirement, at least for US players.
yes

Do you expect IU to start slow and get the young players experience so when Big Ten season and the tournament roll around they are ready for a big run or do you expect IU to go with the upper classmen early and use the younger players sparingly unless there is an injury.

Experience:
Brunk
TJD
Smith
Durham
Phinisee

Young:
Race
TJD
Hunter
Phinisee
Lander

According to rivals.com, the SEC has four of the top seven recruiting classs. The B1G has four of the top 33.

It didn't happen as quickly as I would have liked but I think in hindsight were going to see a typical arc of a successful program getting built in the image of the coach.

As Archie said in his hysterics podcast interview, the one thing he regrets is not bringing in more guys earlier to help us get older, faster VS bringing in six guys in his first class.

Still he says he's happy we're the program is at as far as an experienced and talented roster.

I expect Hunter to take a big leap, Race to take a good sized leap and TJD to take an Oturu like sophomore jump.

That along with improved play at the point should put us in the top part of the conference and an easy top 20 top 15 national team (or higher).

This is the season to see if we can really develop a winning identity on the court. The culture is great. Our recruiting has been strong...now it's time to see it on the court.

Reactions: jiouhyu
Do you expect IU to start slow and get the young players experience so when Big Ten season and the tournament roll around they are ready for a big run or do you expect IU to go with the upper classmen early and use the younger players sparingly unless there is an injury.

Experience:
Brunk
TJD
Smith
Durham
Phinisee

Young:
Race
TJD
Hunter
Phinisee
Lander
Most confusing shit Ive seen in a while...
Like reading abt the coronavirus...half say one thing other half says other...

It didn't happen as quickly as I would have liked but I think in hindsight were going to see a typical arc of a successful program getting built in the image of the coach.

As Archie said in his hysterics podcast interview, the one thing he regrets is not bringing in more guys earlier to help us get older, faster VS bringing in six guys in his first class.

Still he says he's happy we're the program is at as far as an experienced and talented roster.

I expect Hunter to take a big leap, Race to take a good sized leap and TJD to take an Oturu like sophomore jump.

That along with improved play at the point should put us in the top part of the conference and an easy top 20 top 15 national team (or higher).

This is the season to see if we can really develop a winning identity on the court. The culture is great. Our recruiting has been strong...now it's time to see it on the court.

Yep. Hope we get to see it play out this season.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Guard Play will be the biggest improvement in 2020-21
Lander day 1 starter at PG, ultra quick, ultra fast, with hops, a difference maker day 1.
Phinisee healthy could start also
Al is a Senior and needs to catch and shoot and not do too much else, the incoming Freshmen are more skilled and have higher upside.
Franklin should improve and be a better shooter.
Leal needs to drain 3s.
Galloway can defend, rebound, and be a playmaker, could also be a point forward, Galloway makes good things happen.
Geronimo is a gifted high level athlete with more skill level than OG coming in, Smith will start initially, but Geronimo offers far more offense.
TJD as a Soph with Lander could be lethal to B1G opponents, I expect a big Sophomore jump for TJD.
Race will be healthy and will take off where he left off, as a rising solid contributer on both ends of the court inside.
Brunk had a roller coaster transfer year with IU, but now will be more consistent as a Senior and do what he does best, rebound, and post up with tenacity and strength.
Hunter should continue his return to his HS playing form with more knowledge and experience under his belt. I expect Hunter's perimeter shooting to vastly improve, and his length become on weapon on defense.
Hunter, Lander, Phinisee, Geronimo, TJD, Race, and Galloway have an excellent chance to excel on defense.
Lander and TJD may be the best inside/outside combo in the B1G.
IU should make a major leap upward in the national polls and will be very dangerous in the NCAA Tournament.
I could see IU winning the BTT, how's that for a bold prediction.
At the end of the season nobody will want to face the Hoosiers, or draw them in the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:

To me, the “jump” is the key. Who makes that leap. We all expect year to year growth but who leaps”.
Phinisee needs a bounce back.
Brunk is Brunk. Steady, dependable, but cannot put the game on his shoulders.
TJD. Leap or normal improvement?
Durham, Smith. Same as last year.
Hunter. Leap or normal improvement?
Race. Suspect normal improvement.
Franklin. This is my hope for a leap. No inside info tho.
Freshman. I do not know their impact.

Reactions: 82hoosier
It didn't happen as quickly as I would have liked but I think in hindsight were going to see a typical arc of a successful program getting built in the image of the coach . . . This is the season to see if we can really develop a winning identity on the court. The culture is great. Our recruiting has been strong...now it's time to see it on the court.
This is what I’ve been saying all along.

For those of you who have been on here a while, you remember back to the thread about WHY Crean wasn’t the guy to make IU elite again? How he had the program built - pushing the ball on offense looking to score at a high rate, high turnover percentage, lacking on defense and rebounding - almost guaranteed that we had no realistic chance at banner #6. Running 4 hour practices in late February and recruiting were compounding issues as well.

With Archie it has taken longer - and, considering how long this fanbase has had to endure total mismanagement of the program, it’s understandable the grumbling of some. Injuries, inexperienced guards (or ones that could play under control :mad: Green), lack of depth all had a hand in the struggles of the last 3 years.

But look what we now have: Depth at every position, which will lead to spirited battles in practice - which SHOULD lead to much improved play on the court.

One thing I’m still looking for: leadership. Who steps up and demands accountability - from others and themselves? Regardless, this is the year it should all come together.

A few months back I searched the interwebs for this information, thinking the same as you. Never found his DOB. If you do find out I’d be interested to know as well!!

This is what I’ve been saying all along.

For those of you who have been on here a while, you remember back to the thread about WHY Crean wasn’t the guy to make IU elite again? How he had the program built - pushing the ball on offense looking to score at a high rate, high turnover percentage, lacking on defense and rebounding - almost guaranteed that we had no realistic chance at banner #6. Running 4 hour practices in late February and recruiting were compounding issues as well.

With Archie it has taken longer - and, considering how long this fanbase has had to endure total mismanagement of the program, it’s understandable the grumbling of some. Injuries, inexperienced guards (or ones that could play under control :mad: Green), lack of depth all had a hand in the struggles of the last 3 years.

But look what we now have: Depth at every position, which will lead to spirited battles in practice - which SHOULD lead to much improved play on the court.

One thing I’m still looking for: leadership. Who steps up and demands accountability - from others and themselves? Regardless, this is the year it should all come together.

TJD has to be the leader if we want to win big, or Lander. If Lander can come in with unreal confidence I could see it, but I think much more likely he jumps in as his team as a sophomore
And TJD has the reins this year. Jerome will be a player this year too. Don’t know about the leader aspect but he is gonna get his and fit in very nice this year 12-15 PPG IMO.

To me, the “jump” is the key. Who makes that leap. We all expect year to year growth but who leaps”.
I think TJD makes the biggest leap just due of the game slowing down and his confidence of experience will show. Overall, the nice thing about having an experienced team is that everybody should improve some and that alone will improve the team. Adding a good class with a really good (but young) PG will be the thing that can allow IU to make more than a normal leap in improvement.

No doubt we have added some highly regarded players. What I would like to see this year is ability to play competitively against all of the top teams in the conference, on the road. Oh one more thing, not start the game on a scoring drought.

Guard Play will be the biggest improvement in 2020-21
Lander day 1 starter at PG, ultra quick, ultra fast, with hops, a difference maker day 1.
Phinisee healthy could start also
Al is a Senior and needs to catch and shoot and not do too much else, the incoming Freshmen are more skilled and have higher upside.
Franklin should improve and be a better shooter.
Leal needs to drain 3s.
Galloway can defend, rebound, and be a playmaker, could also be a point forward, Galloway makes good things happen.
Geronimo is a gifted high level athlete with more skill level than OG coming in, Smith will start initially, but Geronimo offers far more offense.
TJD as a Soph with Lander could be lethal to B1G opponents, I expect a big Sophomore jump for TJD.
Race will be healthy and will take off where he left off, as a rising solid contributer on both ends of the court inside.
Brunk had a roller coaster transfer year with IU, but now will be more consistent as a Senior and do what he does best, rebound, and post up with tenacity and strength.
Hunter should continue his return to his HS playing form with more knowledge and experience under his belt. I expect Hunter's perimeter shooting to vastly improve, and his length become on weapon on defense.
Hunter, Lander, Phinisee, Geronimo, TJD, Race, and Galloway have an excellent chance to excel on defense.
Leal and TJD may be the best inside/outside combo in the B1G.
IU should make a major leap upward in the national polls and will be very dangerous in the NCAA Tournament.
I could see IU winning the BTT, how's that for a bold prediction.
At the end of the season nobody will want to face the Hoosiers, or draw them in the NCAA Tournament.

Pump the breaks on Leal here.

The kid can play, but to say him and TJD may be the best inside outside combo in the big is just nuts.

He's a plus shooter, but he's not lights out by any means. High school three point line is much easier to hit from then college.

Reactions: Brockway
All we have to do is finish better than 11th in the Big Ten and Archie’s followers will call it an “improvement” and a raging success.

All we have to do is finish better than 11th in the Big Ten and Archie’s followers will call it an “improvement” and a raging success.

Naw - all we need is Billy Donovan as coa . . . OOPS!!

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

I look for Hunter to be a more consistent performer. Franklin to get better. If the freshmen get in early enough in the early easier games they will get acclimated more to the difference from HS to college ball. Durham has reached his ceiling. I wish Brunk would be more assertive.

There won’t be many that are happy with a 10th place finish, no matter how that shakes out. As the place gets better from there, the more satisfied people will be. I’d say 5-6 is where he starts to fully win people over.

The kid can play, but to say him and TJD may be the best inside outside combo in the big is just nuts.

He's a plus shooter, but he's not lights out by any means. High school three point line is much easier to hit from then college.

I've tried telling him before, but: pump the brakes on any ufo33 analysis of freshmen. He gets distracted by the shiny new objects (Leal, Galloway, Geronimo and Lander) and tosses the old (Durham, Brunk) on the ash heap. Last year he was over the top on Hunter. No freshman other than Lander will log more minutes than Durham, and even then I think that's probably even money. I think we'll see little of Leal and Galloway this year and maybe not Geronimo, but I think he's the most likely to play any important minutes of those 3. I think it's likely that no 2 freshman other than Lander will see the combined minutes Durham does, and I also think, barring injury, he'll shoot the highest 3 pt % vs any of the non-Lander freshman and may also shoot better than Kristian.

Reactions: minneman
I've tried telling him before, but: pump the brakes on any ufo33 analysis of freshmen. He gets distracted by the shiny new objects (Leal, Galloway, Geronimo and Lander) and tosses the old (Durham, Brunk) on the ash heap. Last year he was over the top on Hunter. No freshman other than Lander will log more minutes than Durham, and even then I think that's probably even money. I think we'll see little of Leal and Galloway this year and maybe not Geronimo, but I think he's the most likely to play any important minutes of those 3. I think it's likely that no 2 freshman other than Lander will see the combined minutes Durham does, and I also think, barring injury, he'll shoot the highest 3 pt % vs any of the non-Lander freshman and may also shoot better than Kristian.
I wonder if we go with Phin and Lander on occasion. They could put tons of pressure on offense. I’ve heard this might happen. I also think if lander doesn’t see significant minutes then he was overrated. Could be wrong.

There won’t be many that are happy with a 10th place finish, no matter how that shakes out. As the place gets better from there, the more satisfied people will be. I’d say 5-6 is where he starts to fully win people over.
5-6 in the Big Ten?

How many he won since 2012? Hell, how far has he - or Coach K - gone since they're relying on OAD's every year without veteran leadership?

<can't wait to hear this answer . . . ;)>
How many have we won since 1988? Because Duke and UK have combined for 8 in that timeframe. Maybe we should do more of what they’re doing.

How many have we won since 1988? Because Duke and UK have combined for 8 in that timeframe. Maybe we should do more of what they’re doing.
We aren't what we were then. Neither are they.

What are each of them now? AFTER they fully adopted to OAD philosophy? AFTER they were first integrating into using OAD's into their program(s) and still had veterans (Miller for UK;Cook for Duke)? Since both schools DO NOT HAVE veterans as part of their core group, what have they done? How far have they gone?

Pretty obvious why you won't answer . . .

I agree Devil Man should be smoking next year and don't forget young ins also. lol

5-6 in the Big Ten?

Yes. 5-6 in what is almost universally considered the best conference in the nation, next year, and he’ll win a lot of people over. Especially if that includes another top of the conference recruiting class with guys like Kaufman and maybe Mohammed.

Post season results will effect it too, obviously. As would the Purdue games, how we play in Maui, etc... Assuming Maui happens.

Reactions: MrBing
I wonder if we go with Phin and Lander on occasion. They could put tons of pressure on offense. I’ve heard this might happen. I also think if lander doesn’t see significant minutes then he was overrated. Could be wrong.

Keep in mind that Lander is moving up a grade and is playing one of the most important positions on a veteran team.

He's also crazy light weight wise.

In other words Lander is definitely going to be a part of the rotation but I'm not expecting a 'stud' until his sophomore year.

He's got a huge learning curve in front of him. He's not playing BNL anymore.

Leal, Galloway and Geronimo are future investments who will get spot minutes and hopefully show some spurts.

I love them in the future and I've got my eye on Geronimo, he's a late bloomer with a lot of raw ability.

TJD has to be the leader if we want to win big, or Lander. If Lander can come in with unreal confidence I could see it, but I think much more likely he jumps in as his team as a sophomore
And TJD has the reins this year. Jerome will be a player this year too. Don’t know about the leader aspect but he is gonna get his and fit in very nice this year 12-15 PPG IMO.

I want to see Hunter take it inside successfully like he did in HS.

Last year he was just a chucker but he can be more than that...actually one of his question marks was if he could shoot the three ball consistently so yeah, get that inside game back and we have ourselves quite a versatile offensive weapon.

He said Lander and TJD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT