ADVERTISEMENT

Archie = Mix of Izzo, Coach K and Calipari

Blobby

Recruit
Mar 21, 2015
Have to hand it to IU for getting the guy to anchor the program for 30+ years. Not sure yet about his Xs and Os, but from a recruiting standpoint consider me impressed. Not sure any other candidate (other than maybe billy Donovan) could have come in and immediately scooped the Georgia techs, seton halls, minnesotas, Pitts and Virginia techs for top 150 recruits. I'm thinking round of 32 by year 2 and maybe sweet 16 by year 3.

Reactions: MKordIUBB
Have to hand it to IU for getting the guy to anchor the program for 30+ years. Not sure yet about his Xs and Os, but from a recruiting standpoint consider me impressed. Not sure any other candidate (other than maybe billy Donovan) could have come in and immediately scooped the Georgia techs, seton halls, minnesotas, Pitts and Virginia techs for top 150 recruits. I'm thinking round of 32 by year 2 and maybe sweet 16 by year 3.
I love Archie! I think it is not unreasonable to think we have a chance at a sweet 16 this year. I don't think we will, but think we can.

Reactions: Roeder and Lucy01
Archie also "scooped" Florida, O$U, pu, West Virginia, Butler, Xavier, Virginia, Miami, Vandy, UConn, and Michigan-all of whom had offers to one or more of these players. Thank Goodness IU has Archie and not Steve. IU will be an elite program again soon.

You all realize that the Clapper had 2 top 50 recruits at this point in Watford and Creek. Archie hasn't had 1. He also inherited a situation 10 x worse.

Reactions: coach-2
You all realize that the Clapper had 2 top 50 recruits at this point in Watford and Creek. Archie hasn't had 1. He also inherited a situation 10 x worse.
maybe, but at that point IU basketball was still IU basketball. Crean diminished the brand to the point where he could only 1 top 50 player every other year. Top 50 players really have just started to commit aswell. We may still get one (wonder who I'm thinking of, lol)

Creek was #56. Watford was at #41. Crean also signed Capobianco and Muniru that year too. Two steps forward, two steps back... Archie, I believe has only gained commitments from legit players. Hunter is ranked #50 in Rivals.

Reactions: ulrey
dumb

Creek was #56. Watford was at #41. Crean also signed Capobianco and Muniru that year too. Two steps forward, two steps back... Archie, I believe has only gained commitments from legit players.
If we get Romeo it would round out a great class that is balanced between top recruits and players who will be solid 4 year players.
Romeo top 10 player
Hunter a top 50 player
Anderson top 100 player
Phinissee fringe top 100 player
Forrester top 150 player

So what?

He got 4 players that can play all 5 positions in today's game. Rankings mean nothing now.

And I applauded Crean for it at the time -- but also said that the true test would come on the hardwood, not on the recruiting trail. Same goes for Archie.

Crean did a good job getting our program out of neutral -- and I'll always be thankful for his doing that. But he couldn't get us past 3rd gear, which is why I ultimately agreed strongly with the decision to find a new driver.

Reactions: speroni
Not sure why there is so much negativity in response to my positive post. I think forrester looks like the next Eric Anderson. Phinisee is Jordan Hulls part 2. Hunter gives me visions of Damon bailey with his combination of power and athleticism. And Thompson is in the mold of Brian Evans. Truth is you have to find these blue collar types...can't expect five star recruits to want to come to Indiana and have to sit the bench behind our loaded roster.

And I applauded Crean for it at the time -- but also said that the true test would come on the hardwood, not on the recruiting trail. Same goes for Archie.

Crean did a good job getting our program out of neutral -- and I'll always be thankful for his doing that. But he couldn't get us past 3rd gear, which is why I ultimately agreed strongly with the decision to find a new driver.
I suggest that CTC got the team out of REVERSE . . .

Not sure why there is so much negativity in response to my positive post. I think forrester looks like the next Eric Anderson. Phinisee is Jordan Hulls part 2. Hunter gives me visions of Damon bailey with his combination of power and athleticism. And Thompson is in the mold of Brian Evans. Truth is you have to find these blue collar types...can't expect five star recruits to want to come to Indiana and have to sit the bench behind our loaded roster.
giphy.gif

How about we wait until at least Romeo makes a decision before writing off Archie's recruiting ability.

The 2019 class is where IU is positioned to land multiple elite prospects.

Reactions: ORG
How about we wait until at least Romeo makes a decision before writing off Archie's recruiting ability.

The 2019 class is where IU is positioned to land multiple elite prospects.

Psssst.. Unless coach "Archies" multiple players, we'll have just ONE spot open for all those elite prospects because he thinks having 8 forwards on the team is the right way to go.

Psssst.. Unless coach "Archies" multiple players, we'll have just ONE spot open for all those elite prospects because he thinks having 8 forwards on the team is the right way to go.

I would expect some turnover as Archie molds the roster in his image. If we land Romeo and he leaves after one season that gives us two open scholarships in 2019, not accounting for any transfers.

It depends on what you are looking at to compare who is taking over a worse situation. Crean solidly established a bad reputation in Indiana for 9 years. Archie has his work cut out for him to rebuild the pipeline.

Last edited:
I like Archie's recruiting. He seems to be building up the base of the program with players who will be 3-4 year types and seem to fill roster needs. He has one schollie left to fill with a 1 and done type like hopefully romeo. I guess the same can be said for Crean but his success rate of keeping the 3-4 year players around wasn't so good due to the off the court stuff and other transfers. Hopefully the Archie recruits will prove to be more stable and remain long term.

I like Archie's recruiting. He seems to be building up the base of the program with players who will be 3-4 year types and seem to fill roster needs. He has one schollie left to fill with a 1 and done type like hopefully romeo. I guess the same can be said for Crean but his success rate of keeping the 3-4 year players around wasn't so good due to the off the court stuff and other transfers. Hopefully the Archie recruits will prove to be more stable and remain long term.
Crean couldn't manage and develop 3-4 year players because he didn't have a detailed, individual plan for each guy to improve their basketball fundamentals.

Crean couldn't manage and develop 3-4 year players because he didn't have a detailed, individual plan for each guy to improve their basketball fundamentals.
Id argue against that. Players improved on individual skills on occasion ...but playing as a team and developing a unit often lacked.

Reactions: IU Hardcore

Meh, that's not actually true.

The one thing he was successful at was developing individual skills. That can be validated by looking at how well his players did at skill assessments at draft camps. Which is why I think he's a better assistant than head coach.

To put it into military terms he's more a trainer than field commander.

He focused on individuals. Individual skills. Individual offense. Individual defense. And, had training and skill development programs geared towards them as individuals.

What he didn't do was develop a team, the sum was never greater than the individual parts. Which is one reason his teams always under achieved vs their respective talent level.

He recruited in the same manner, he could see and assess individual ability fairly well, he just couldn't see how they worked together as a cohesive unit.

Also, Crean didn't value basketball IQ, favoring athletic talent and measurables instead. Which caused his teams to be dumb......

I'm so glad he's gone....

Last edited:
I suppose I would trust that Archie "knows the right way to go" over the posters on this board, especially those who are critical before he has coached his first game. And i suppose that should they miss on Romeo, there will be plenty here to decry a class that is currently rated 5th in the county without him, a failed effort. He is establishing a solid talent base, and I trust in his process.

Reactions: IU Scott
Same thing happened to Coach K at the beginning. Just keep recruiting the Forresters and we will be fine. In-state recruiting is for local and regional programs.

You might want to rethink this.

Reactions: rwieg
Same thing happened to Coach K at the beginning. Just keep recruiting the Forresters and we will be fine. In-state recruiting is for local and regional programs.

While I agree that the focus must be national this day and age when it comes to recruiting, we just got taken behind the woodshed for a thorough ass-beating last night by "local and regional kids."

Reactions: IUgradman
If we get Romeo it would round out a great class that is balanced between top recruits and players who will be solid 4 year players.
Romeo top 10 player
Hunter a top 50 player
Anderson top 100 player
Phinissee fringe top 100 player
Forrester top 150 player
Why does every one on this forum think top 150 is good? They are roll players. Every big ten team has them. I think we should be landing top 50 recruits like other national power houses. I hope Archies recruiting game picks up.

Reactions: rwieg
Why does every one on this forum think top 150 is good? They are roll players. Every big ten team has them. I think we should be landing top 50 recruits like other national power houses. I hope Archies recruiting game picks up.
Yea that top ten class in his first year just isnt good enough. DERP

Hmmmm. Hearing Romeo is looking at Vandy also. If they get Shittu also, wow. Never seen Vandy pull in recruits before. They've had good teams and transfers but crazy. Also OP is a little over excited looking at the title. I think your coach will be fine. Did fantastic at Dayton.

Archie knows that the only way to learn is by doing. Gotta keep giving Newkirk, Johnson and Morgan big minutes so they can learn how to turn it over less. Veteran leadership from those guys is going to pay off in the Big 10 season. Definitely got the right coach to bring out the best in those guys. Only complaint is that I'd play those guys 40 minutes a game if they aren't in foul trouble.

lolol

set that bar waaay up there

ARCHIE couldn't hold the jock of any coach listed here. Crean wouldn't have lost to ISU by 30 I know that.

I'm not sure on your recruiting assessment with a name like Indiana
Archie or any one else can and should be able to bring in top 150
recruits every year when needed very easily. IU has five NCAA titles
on record, that still means a lot to these young players. I agree with
you on the Xs and Os analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT