ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

IULDY

Junior
Aug 4, 2005
IMHO Miller is either not doing a good job or the team isn't listening. They make the same bone head mistakes game after game. Poor defense, don't cut off the lanes, miss free throws, stand around and get out rebounded.. I Could not believe the number of uncontested layups Mich got today and so many 3's with no red shirts even close to the shooter...A good coach would correct that or those players would have the best seat in the house......

Reactions: IUgradman
Archie's chomping on his gum like a maniac is not helping him look like a top rate coach either. :)

But on a more serious note, the offense appears to be the team running a weave around top of the circle/3 point line, to hopefully get a drive and pop out or force a shot in the lane. The defense seems to not keep other bigs out of the lane and we sure lost a lot of 50/50 balls.

I thought they were going to be a lock to get into the NCAA. Now it'll require some wins on the road or a helluva good B10 tournament. Neither look promising at the moment. A home win over Penn St sure would help!

Maybe, and this is just a maybe. To satisfy so many people telling Coach how to handle these “lazy” players, would you just let Coach lose one game on purpose, and just play the lower half of the bench. Give one game away on purpose. Just let the top half of the bench sit the whole game. Maybe they would get the point.

Reactions: ams66
There is discussion about "culture" being important. But really, which "culture" are you talking about? IU's basketball culture has been dormant and basically shelved for two decades, by those in a position to feed it....the administration. They have their culture, which they feed....and it has nothing in the world to do with basketball, other than the financial element attached to it.

IU basketball in terms of product is, well....SMU or Missouri. Nothing more. Financially, yes....it has a larger footprint. But IU as an institution which places a premium on its basketball program, no longer exists. That ended with Myles Brand.

IU does not share the same tangible expectations of North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky...or even Louisville, for that matter. Thats OK....IU as an institution, has a totally different set of priorities as to its identity, its desired culture and its financial commitments.

But lets stop kidding ourselves, shall we? IU has engaged in at least five coaching experiments...none of which were "elite" or "homerun" in nature. That is the culture now. Basketball is to be enjoyed at IU...banners are to be admired, not necessarily added to. I now accept the status quo, because it is also the future. I didn't say I liked it....I just try to enjoy a game from time to time.

No the iu admins arent smart enough to pull the trigger.
Not this year but if thing go to hell next year it possible but if get to tour next year but year after that even i think he should go i really was high on Archie when he was hire but 5 yrs time to move on!

It’s clear people won’t run through walls for him. It may be his preferred style of play is too much work and too little glory for today’s top players.

Not this year but if thing go to hell next year it possible but if get to tour next year but year after that even i think he should go i really was high on Archie when he was hire but 5 yrs time to move on!
And with recruiting dead in the water we will be left with nothing when he is canned.

A decision will have to be made after year 4 one way or another. You either extend or you move on. You have to if you want to recruit.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
Archie’s task is to return Indiana to a fundamentally sound program with intelligent players, and he is doing that. Give him another season to continue shedding the dead weight and continue recruiting and developing his guys. This is an actual rebuild, and Archie has not made one excuse or blamed any players throughout the process. The results may not be fast enough for a fan base that has rightfully lost its patience, but Archie has moved the needle year over year. All of our best wins have been earned the right way with team defense and moving the ball to create good shot selection. The consistency will come as Archie continues bringing in more guys with good character and high basketball IQ. Admittedly, it’s taking longer than I expected for him to build a full roster. Davis, Green, and Smith will all likely be gone next year though, and he adds three more good freshman.

I am a die-hard UD fan who also happens to be an IU fan, so when Archie left Dayton I was disappointed. But, if I could have picked one school for him to leave for it would have been IU since I root for the Hoosiers as well. I am dumbfounded at how bad this IU team has looked most of the year. On the road it's even more alarming, they haven't even been competitive at all in road games, save Nebraska. Archie's UD teams, once he got them rolling after his first two seasons, always played with effort and passion, whether it was home or on the road.They didn't win every game, but they always played like they gave a s*** and with a little attitude , unlike his IU teams(especially this year's version).

I see a lot of the same posts on here over and over again about how he got lucky at Dayton, had a fluke run, he's just not ready for primetime, etc. Watching him closely at UD I'm telling you the man can coach. So either this team just isn't talented enough to compete in the Big Ten, or he's not getting through to the players and they tune him out at times. I think it's a little bit of both. I think alot of the guys on this current roster are soft as Charmin. I still believe if he's given time to get his kind of guys in there then he will eventually get Indiana back to an elite level. However I don't think that's going to happen, because he's going to be on the hot seat next year unless this team does an abrupt halt and gets it together. I personally think that they will not and an NIT bid is where they're heading. So recruiting will take a turn for the worse and he will not be able to dig himself out of that hole and get it turned around. Sucks that it looks like that's the way it's headed.

Last edited:
I am a die-hard UD fan who also happens to be an IU fan, so when Archie left Dayton I was disappointed. But, if I could have picked one school for him to leave for it would have been IU since I root for the Hoosiers as well. I am dumbfounded at how bad this IU team has looked most of the year. On the road it's even more alarming, they haven't even been competitive at all in road games, save Nebraska. Archie's UD teams, once he got them rolling after his first two seasons, always played with effort and passion, whether it was home or on the road.They didn't win every game, but they always played like they gave a s*** and with a little attitude , unlike his IU teams(especially this year's version).

I see a lot of the same posts on here over and over again about how he got lucky at Dayton, had a fluke run, he's just not ready for primetime, etc. Watching him closely at UD I'm telling you the man can coach. So either this team just isn't talented enough to compete in the Big Ten, or he's not getting through to the players and they tune him out at times. I think it's a little bit of both. I think alot of the guys on this current roster are soft as Charmin. I still believe if he's given time to get his kind of guys in there then he will eventually get Indiana back to an elite level. However I don't think that's going to happen, because he's going to be on the hot seat next year unless this team does an abrupt halt and gets it together. I personally think that they will not and an NIT bid is where they're heading. So recruiting will take a turn for the worse and he will not be able to dig himself out of that hole and get it turned around. Sucks that it looks like that's the way it's headed.
Recruiting already took a turn for the worse. Soon it will be dead

Archie’s task is to return Indiana to a fundamentally sound program with intelligent players, and he is doing that. Give him another season to continue shedding the dead weight and continue recruiting and developing his guys. This is an actual rebuild, and Archie has not made one excuse or blamed any players throughout the process. The results may not be fast enough for a fan base that has rightfully lost its patience, but Archie has moved the needle year over year. All of our best wins have been earned the right way with team defense and moving the ball to create good shot selection. The consistency will come as Archie continues bringing in more guys with good character and high basketball IQ. Admittedly, it’s taking longer than I expected for him to build a full roster. Davis, Green, and Smith will all likely be gone next year though, and he adds three more good freshman.
Lol

The only thing he’s doing is running the program in the ground. And burying it 6 feet deep. You’ve been so incredibly wrong this whole time. You’re not going to all of a sudden be right. This train came off the tracks a long time ago.

What Archie recruit has gotten better under Archie.

Don Fisher has strongly hinted that Archie's hands are tied somewhat by Fred's scholly guarantee. It's not the only reason of course for the lack of success but has to have some effect.

Fundamentally sound , intelligent players? Are we watching the same team?

Compare the roster to those in the top half of the B10. Now, when Archie's recruits have more than a year and a half experience and our seniors are better leaders than the current 2, I will change my expectations. Upperclassmen rule the B10 (especially PG'S and Bigs). Our upperclassmen are Crean's recruits and Brunk. Hardly fair to judge a coach on such a group. That said, claiming they have no chance of making the tourney is idiotic. They lost their two best players on a team that just missed the tourney last year. Expecting a huge step forward from that is just not fair to those kids or the coach. I expect continued progress next year, but let's not pretend our program was in the same state it was in the 90's when Archie took over. He took over the 13th ranked team in the B10 in average star ranking with very limited height, no PG, and RoJo and Green the best shooters (and 3* recruits). Stop pretending he took over a great situation and give him a chance to build a program (not just 2 recruiting classes). Seniors are very important to successful programs even behind the scenes.

IMHO Miller is either not doing a good job or the team isn't listening. They make the same bone head mistakes game after game. Poor defense, don't cut off the lanes, miss free throws, stand around and get out rebounded.. I Could not believe the number of uncontested layups Mich got today and so many 3's with no red shirts even close to the shooter...A good coach would correct that or those players would have the best seat in the house......

Compare the roster to those in the top half of the B10. Now, when Archie's recruits have more than a year and a half experience and our seniors are better leaders than the current 2, I will change my expectations. Upperclassmen rule the B10 (especially PG'S and Bigs). Our upperclassmen are Crean's recruits and Brunk. Hardly fair to judge a coach on such a group. That said, claiming they have no chance of making the tourney is idiotic. They lost their two best players on a team that just missed the tourney last year. Expecting a huge step forward from that is just not fair to those kids or the coach. I expect continued progress next year, but let's not pretend our program was in the same state it was in the 90's when Archie took over. He took over the 13th ranked team in the B10 in average star ranking with very limited height, no PG, and RoJo and Green the best shooters (and 3* recruits). Stop pretending he took over a great situation and give him a chance to build a program (not just 2 recruiting classes). Seniors are very important to successful programs even behind the scenes.
Crean players lol. Only two of them ever played for him. Archie is a mid major coach period.

The only thing he’s doing is running the program in the ground. And burying it 6 feet deep. You’ve been so incredibly wrong this whole time. You’re not going to all of a sudden be right. This train came off the tracks a long time ago.
He is doing the practical things to reestablish Indiana basketball stylistically and in recruiting. The wins will come.

Crean players lol. Only two of them ever played for him. Archie is a mid major coach period.
Completely agree. And Dayton is doing just fine without him. Just cannot understand people’s continued support of him. They act like is 2 years he’ll mysteriously become this great legendary coach or something. Writing is on the wall. His elite 8 is no different than Crean’s final four. A fluke that will not be repeated.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Your delusions were not reality a year ago. They’re not reality now. And they won’t become reality with time. Eventually you will have to accept that.

Completely agree. And Dayton is doing just fine without him. Just cannot understand people’s continued support of him. They act like is 2 years he’ll mysteriously become this great legendary coach or something. Writing is on the wall. His elite 8 is no different than Crean’s final four. A fluke that will not be repeated.
Do you remember the blind support for Crean? For about 7 years? It’s the reason he was here for a decade. So many IU fans are blind sheep. They’ll follow whoever they’re told and will ignore reality until the very end.

--See no fundamental soundness......if possible, this team is dumber and more lethargic than the last two.

--See no needle movement, unless you're going to give Archie credit for not losing to a couple of horrid teams at home like he did his first year:

year 1 16-15, 9-9 in BT, tied for 6th
year 2 19-16, 8-12 in BT, tied for 8th
year 3 16-9, 6-8 in BT, tied for 11th

Looking at that 2017-18 roster, we also had high character guys like Hartmann & McRoberts sprinkled in.....didn't do any worse or any better with those guys.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT