ADVERTISEMENT

Archie earned another year last night and 14-6 is possible

As they say it's never as good or bad as it seems. IU is a good, not great, team playing in a gauntlet conference. They're inconsistent and when you play a good opponent night in and night out it's the little things (missed FT's, late closeouts, effort) that make all the difference.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying we are a “good team.” I think we would be good if we did more of the little things right (lazy passes, hustle plays). That’s been a recurring theme for 4 years. Obviously, the shooting has been atrocious this season.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying we are a “good team.” I think we would be good if we did more of the little things right (lazy passes, hustle plays). That’s been a recurring theme for 4 years. Obviously, the shooting has been atrocious this season.

Shooting aside, IU is a good team this year, not great. I stand by that and metrics certainly back that up.

Archie was never going anywhere next year, so not sure he "earned" anything via one game.

Seems the team may have benefited from the canceled game and the time off. The defensive intensity was much higher than the pitiful Purdue game.

Iowa shot terrible, which was the Gods evening things out after PU shot like 75% from 3. But much of that credit goes to our D. This team isn't talented enough offensively to win without giving that level of defensive effort every game.

I posted last week in a thread about how Iowa was going to boat race us that Archie has always kind of handled Fran even going back to Dayton.

It's the strangest thing.

It's relevant because Archie is a system coach, and his system seems to be problematic for Fran.

In three years it seems....

Archie beats Iowa.
Archie beats MSU (wtf??)
Archie beats Rutgers at home but not at their place.
Archie plays Illinois tough.
Archie plays Wisconsin tough but can't get over the hump.
We play Maryland fairly tough.

We match OSU at home but get killed in Columbus.
We play Minnesota pretty tough but they gave us one embarrassing dress down so, I don't have a good feel vs Pitino but it seems like we play them tough.

Northwestern is a pain in the ass to us, plays us closer than they should.
Same with Nebraska but we tend to pull away while Northwestern comes down to the last four minutes.
Purdue handles us like their prison bitch.
Michigan absolutely crushes us. Have we been within ten in any game with them under Archie.

So if ya bet, I'd bet the spread vs Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin.

I'd actually bet the upset of Iowa or MSU.

Bet the spread against us vs Northwestern.

Just bet against us vs Purdue and Michigan. Maybe winning a hundred will help get over the anger of looking like ass against them every single time.

If you lose the bet, then IU won.

Win win!

Reactions: Cavanagh.10
CAM seems to get wins like this every year. I hope, for once, the team doesn’t follow this up with multiple losses, like they’ve done in the past.

We have a tough few weeks ahead. Hope we we can go on a run here. I think this team still has a great shot of finishing top four and getting a double bye in the BTT. 14-6 is absolutely possible.

In any case, barring a complete medown, CAM will get at least another year.
He's getting another year even if we lose out this year. The nonsense notion that he's righted the ship after one game is about as ridiculous as that we'll be fine after beating MSU in the midst of losing 12 of 13

Reactions: SoccerSammy
Archie was never going anywhere next year, so not sure he "earned" anything via one game.

Seems the team may have benefited from the canceled game and the time off. The defensive intensity was much higher than the pitiful Purdue game.

Iowa shot terrible, which was the Gods evening things out after PU shot like 75% from 3. But much of that credit goes to our D. This team isn't talented enough offensively to win without giving that level of defensive effort every game.
Ture, and Jesus, for once we agree on somethings

No, not a good team, I'm not sure that is possible. However, what I noticed was better passing, purposeful passing, and if you weren't the one to shoot it, move it before the D catches up, they did that finally

I posted last week in a thread about how Iowa was going to boat race us that Archie has always kind of handled Fran even going back to Dayton.

It's the strangest thing.

It's relevant because Archie is a system coach, and his system seems to be problematic for Fran.

In three years it seems....

Archie beats Iowa.
Archie beats MSU (wtf??)
Archie beats Rutgers at home but not at their place.
Archie plays Illinois tough.
Archie plays Wisconsin tough but can't get over the hump.
We play Maryland fairly tough.

We match OSU at home but get killed in Columbus.
We play Minnesota pretty tough but they gave us one embarrassing dress down so, I don't have a good feel vs Pitino but it seems like we play them tough.

Northwestern is a pain in the ass to us, plays us closer than they should.
Same with Nebraska but we tend to pull away while Northwestern comes down to the last four minutes.
Purdue handles us like their prison bitch.
Michigan absolutely crushes us. Have we been within ten in any game with them under Archie.

So if ya bet, I'd bet the spread vs Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin.

I'd actually bet the upset of Iowa or MSU.

Bet the spread against us vs Northwestern.

Just bet against us vs Purdue and Michigan. Maybe winning a hundred will help get over the anger of looking like ass against them every single time.

If you lose the bet, then IU won.

Win win!

Iowa is even slower than Wisconsin. They are not athletic, at all. We had a week off and came out like Dobermans on Garza defensively, swarming and beating the crap out of him. He was spent late in the game.

late in games IU has often appeared to be the fatigued team, but not against Iowa. Credit IU for wearing out a team that has obvious quickness issues. It was a good matchup for us, and the week of preparation and rest was HUGE.

I guess its a very subjective determination as to just what qualifies as a "good" team. IMHO, if a team wins more than it loses, it is a good team. Not a very good team, not a great team, maybe not "good enough" for IU fans, but that is my definition.

What is your's?

I guess its a very subjective determination as to just what qualifies as a "good" team. IMHO, if a team wins more than it loses, it is a good team. Not a very good team, not a great team, maybe not "good enough" for IU fans, but that is my definition.

What is your's?

A good team improves areas it struggles with as the year progresses. A good team is well-coached and finds ways to win close games. A good team does not lose to a rival consistently. A good team does many of the very little things right (the hustle plays) that contribute to wins consistently.

All of the above.

A good team improves areas it struggles with as the year progresses. A good team is well-coached and finds ways to win close games. A good team does not lose to a rival consistently. A good team does many of the very little things right (the hustle plays) that contribute to wins consistently.

All of the above.
Interesting thoughts. Thank you for sharing them!

What do you consider is the base line a team must meet to be a "good team"?
In college basketball there are many teams every year over .500 that don't even make the 68 team tournament.

There are a lot more factors to take into account than just finishing over .500, including how many cupcakes they play preconference and how difficult their conference is.

What do you consider is the base line a team must meet to be a "good team"?

I thinnk the minimum baseline to be considered a “good” team is making the NCAA tourney and having losses in the single digits (9 or less). That’s my criteria.

Someone posted a photo of a "We're Back!" shirt that came out after we beat Kentucky with the "Wat-shot" on their Twitter page after Thursday's game. Let's not fall into that way of thinking again just because we got 1 win against a highly ranked team.

I'll be right here regardless of the outcome of Sunday's game, hoss. You know where to find me.

Not exactly a horrid performance but far from stellar, and in any case short of the mark. Still don't view Iowa as an "anomaly" but 'consistency' - no doubt about it. That being said, you were at least half-right, and more so than I. Means I was wrong. Sure it won't be the last time.

I thinnk the minimum baseline to be considered a “good” team is making the NCAA tourney and having losses in the single digits (9 or less). That’s my criteria.
I would add being in the top 25 consistantly throughout the season and being a "lock" to make the NCAA tourney, not just squeaking in as a bubble team.

I was thinking about this point earlier- most of us (me included) overreacted in a negative way after the Purdue loss. Last night's game doesn't turn the season around. We did play some tough 2nd half defense, but Iowa was woeful from the field, and from the FT line in the 2nd half. Very unusual for them...maybe just a bad night and we were in the right place at the right time.

So if we're capable of playing at this level, where was our team vs Purdue last week? And what team shows vs RU on Sunday? Or at UM next week? Need consistent play to get exited. The schedule is still brutal coming up, so we'll get to see if it was a fluke or not.
Fluke

Another underwhelming performance, not "good" certainly not consistent, IU rises or falls based on Phinisee and Durham, both were ordinary today and IU lost. Good teams have others pick up the slack, IU doesn't have this. Good teams has consistent backcourt performance - usually one great guard, IU has neither. Whose fault? Archie's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT