ADVERTISEMENT

Archie....can do it

alle2

Newcomer
Dec 31, 2004
So I am a Dayton fan and come in peace but also with an endorsement. I live in Columbus so I understand what it feels like to be a Blue Blood and have High expectations. Archies first two years at UD we’re mediocre and then in year 3 we had a great Maui tourney and felt he had turned the corner. We then started conference and went 1 and 4....imagine that in the A10. Our message boards lit up and said he couldn’t get it done and another wasted season. That changed drastically and that team went to Final 8 and UD went to 4 straight NCAA in a row. In the NCAA this guy who we thought couldn’t coach beat Ohio State ...Syracuse ...Providence and also Gonzaga in Maui. He beat the good VCU teams and was about the only coach in our conference that could handle And beat Havoc. The kid can flat out coach. He is not Brad Stevens , who is, but he can build a program. Now can it make Indiana a Blue Blood again....yes he can, I will bet that this team gets better and gets to the Tourney this year. I know that’s not enough but it will be the foundation and the start.

So I am a Dayton fan and come in peace but also with an endorsement. I live in Columbus so I understand what it feels like to be a Blue Blood and have High expectations. Archies first two years at UD we’re mediocre and then in year 3 we had a great Maui tourney and felt he had turned the corner. We then started conference and went 1 and 4....imagine that in the A10. Our message boards lit up and said he couldn’t get it done and another wasted season. That changed drastically and that team went to Final 8 and UD went to 4 straight NCAA in a row. In the NCAA this guy who we thought couldn’t coach beat Ohio State ...Syracuse ...Providence and also Gonzaga in Maui. He beat the good VCU teams and was about the only coach in our conference that could handle And beat Havoc. The kid can flat out coach. He is not Brad Stevens , who is, but he can build a program. Now can it make Indiana a Blue Blood again....yes he can, I will bet that this team gets better and gets to the Tourney this year. I know that’s not enough but it will be the foundation and the start.
Won’t make tourney this ain’t the shitty Atlantic 10 this is the big leagues.

He’s running in out of time to prove. He should’ve easily made the dance last season and should this season as well. We’ll see.

We aren't worried. It's only year 3 and we all know it takes at least 5 years to get a program moving in the right direction. We are still very very early in the archie process. We will make the tourney in the nect three years or so.

We aren't worried. It's only year 3 and we all know it takes at least 5 years to get a program moving in the right direction. We are still very very early in the archie process. We will make the tourney in the nect three years or so.
Much harder to turn a basketball program around then a football program, I mean it’s not like one or two players can carry you in hoops.

Lol

Much harder to turn a basketball program around then a football program, I mean it’s not like one or two players can carry you in hoops.
You are correct sir. Football can be turned around in a year. A good bball coach can do it in 5 but you should really give a coach 7 years minimum.

To the OP, thanks for posting. I also live in Dayton and have watched Archie at UD. I'm still very positive for Archie at IU.

I do wonder about his substitutions this year. Hopefully he is still looking for someone or a group of players to step up. But platooning appears counterproductive and he needs scorers out there.

Ignore these trolls. Forgive them for they know not basketball. And they think that churning coaches is the only answer to all their wishes.

Me, I just soak in the thoughts and dreams of mediocracy...like competing for the tops of the B1G every year...and deep runs possible in the NCAAT....including hanging multiple banners. Meanwhile the trolls go and cheer on Boston, UK or our lil bro up north.

Look, he took over a mess from Crean and if Langford played like a 4 star let alone a 5 star Indiana makes the dance last year. This year a win over a very good Fla State team and Archie will find a way to be over 500 in the Big Ten. I know it’s tough but today’s kids don’t view Indiana the way the program used to be. There was no Big time coach knocking down the door for the job. Archie will get you guys back to the Top. Way too many misses ..Davis...Cheater Sampson.. Tommy. Archie has more NCAA wins than any Indiana coach since Coach Knight. Tough clean up In a tough conference.

Reactions: Sassy61
To the OP, thanks for posting. I also live in Dayton and have watched Archie at UD. I'm still very positive for Archie at IU.

I do wonder about his substitutions this year. Hopefully he is still looking for someone or a group of players to step up. But platooning appears counterproductive and he needs scorers out there.

Ignore these trolls. Forgive them for they know not basketball. And they think that churning coaches is the only answer to all their wishes.

Me, I just soak in the thoughts and dreams of mediocracy...like competing for the tops of the B1G every year...and deep runs possible in the NCAAT....including hanging multiple banners. Meanwhile the trolls go and cheer on Boston, UK or our lil bro up north.[/QUOTE
Look, he took over a mess from Crean and if Langford played like a 4 star let alone a 5 star Indiana makes the dance last year. This year a win over a very good Fla State team and Archie will find a way to be over 500 in the Big Ten. I know it’s tough but today’s kids don’t view Indiana the way the program used to be. There was no Big time coach knocking down the door for the job. Archie will get you guys back to the Top. Way too many misses ..Davis...Cheater Sampson.. Tommy. Archie has more NCAA wins than any Indiana coach since Coach Knight. Tough clean up In a tough conference.
11-9 in big ten is your prediction good lord son

Archie has more NCAA wins than any Indiana coach since Coach Knight. Tough clean up In a tough conference.

Pretty hard to take you serious with that statement. Davis, Crean and Sampson have more than Archie. WTF are you talking about.

Reactions: Hoosierific
Beyond a mess. Crean had a rebuild but this is a complete break it down and build it up. Archie may have inherited one of the worst situations I've ever seen. Its almost like taking over a program thay was handed the death penalty. He was left with absolutely nothing( Morgan, Robert Johnson, newkirk, Hartman, davis). I almost think he deserves a five year pass before the clock starts. Maybe an extension first.

Reactions: Sassy61
Sampson did not at Indiana and Davis wins go under Bobby.. when he got his kids he failed . Crean went to 2 sweet sixteens and ya fired him... hmm . Not a Blue blood anymore , little schools like Gonzaga and Villanova have become the Blue bloods . Archie will get ya back and he will stay which is the key long term . Let’s see it play out! Trust him good coach.

Beyond a mess. Crean had a rebuild but this is a complete break it down and build it up. Archie may have inherited one of the worst situations I've ever seen. Its almost like taking over a program thay was handed the death penalty. He was left with absolutely nothing( Morgan, Robert Johnson, newkirk, Hartman, davis). I almost think he deserves a five year pass before the clock starts. Maybe an extension first.
Yes an extension to give recruits assurance he will still be there, Id recommend 10 years guaranteed with a $20 million buyout we don’t want some other team cherry picking our coach

Sampson did not at Indiana and Davis wins go under Bobby.. when he got his kids he failed . Crean went to 2 sweet sixteens and ya fired him... hmm . Not a Blue blood anymore , little schools like Gonzaga and Villanova have become the Blue bloods . Archie will get ya back and he will stay which is the key long term . Let’s see it play out! Trust him good coach.

****ing stfu please

This thread is why there is an entertainment factor on stopping by to read. I especially like the part about the Dayton message boards lighting up.

Pretty hard to take you serious with that statement. Davis, Crean and Sampson have more than Archie. WTF are you talking about.
Where these crazy comments come
Not a single one of you would take that bet at the start of the season. I offered repeatedly.
I was saying it from the start. This is not a tournament team. Started out as bubble at best, but that bubble has popped.

Where these crazy comments come

I was saying it from the start. This is not a tournament team. Started out as bubble at best, but that bubble has popped.
You wouldn’t make the bet. That’s a fact. None of the perpetually negative crowd would take it. Don’t pretend you were so certain that you’d put money on it at the time. You didn’t.

Reactions: MrBing
Honestly, in this day and age with millennials, a coach might even need 10 full seasons before you can truly judge him and his program. Archie deserves our patience. Placing unrealistic expectations on him this early in his tenure -- such as competing in the top tier of the Big Ten or making the NCAA Tournament -- is unfair. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Honestly, in this day and age with millennials, a coach might even need 10 full seasons before you can truly judge him and his program. Archie deserves our patience. Placing unrealistic expectations on him this early in his tenure -- such as competing in the top tier of the Big Ten or making the NCAA Tournament -- is unfair. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Right maybe he needs some Aderall, and more time to take his tests.

I think you are right if we are patient enough to let him recruit and get the right players. You could say the same about many coaches. Crean got it right a couple of times in 9 years.

I understand that it has been a while since we were in the NCAA. That isn't all Archie's fault. We didn't fire Crean because he was recruiting well and winning.

The talent is there this year. It is a slimmer margin than we would like, but we are better balanced. Last year was a missed opportunity. Despite the worst round of injuries I have seen, winning a game or two in the stretch we lost 12/13 would have put us in the tournament.

The '11-'12 team was not playing well and lost two games badly that should have been wins. Someone turned on the lights and we turned the season around (I believe after a loss to Minnesota?).

Push the ball and try to get good shots before the D has clogged the lane. Move the ball quickly and stop dribbling (Green) and pass the ball instead. Defenses can follow a dribbler easier than they can catch up to 2 quick passes. This team gets rattled and stops playing the way Archie wants them to play. We break down when something bad happens and start trying to make 1:1 plays instead of sharing the ball.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Thanks for speaking the truth but 10 years seems a little premature. You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I would say 15 years.

Thanks for speaking the truth but 10 years seems a little premature. You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I would say 15 years.
I can't disagree with you on this one. That's a great point. If anything, that gives us 15 years to relax, knowing the program is in good hands and headed in the right direction.

A person with any integrity at all would apologize for being so wrong.
Are they in the tournament? If they make the tournament, I’ll admit I was wrong. If they don’t , I’ll assume you have integrity and admit you were wrong. It’s one game.

ADVERTISEMENT