ADVERTISEMENT

Archie’s goodbye.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
It’s pretty sad that the guy hasn’t said anything or even released a statement thanking the University, his players, and the fans that actually did support him.

Just shows what type of character he really has. Crean left with a heck of a lot more dignity than this.

Davis and Crean are welcome back in Bloomington. The other 2, not so much.

It’s pretty sad that the guy hasn’t said anything or even released a statement thanking the University, his players, and the fans that actually did support him.

Just shows what type of character he really has. Crean left with a heck of a lot more dignity than this.

The horse is dead... quit kicking it and move on.

The University fired him, the players quit on him, and the fans booed him... who the hell is he supposed to be thanking again?

I’ve never been fired but I can’t imagine id be thanking my employer for terminating me.

The University fired him, the players quit on him, and the fans booed him... who the hell is he supposed to be thanking again?

I’ve never been fired but I can’t imagine id be thanking my employer for terminating me.
If somebody gave me 3-4 million dollars to do a bad job and 10-12 million dollars on top of that to leave, I'd be doing cartwheels all the way to the Virgin Islands. If people wanted to boo me on the way or hurl insults/mud, it would be like water off of a duck's back.

I doubt Archie is hurting too bad right now. Sure, he failed in the big leagues and has to come to terms with his coaching ability, but a lot of money tends to make things better.

I was wondering the same thing. Talk about a little bitch... I supported his sorry ass through the first 3 seasons and much of the 4th. The least he can do is thank those who supported him and his team. He should at least appreciate the opportunity.

Reactions: IUgradman
He's probably just embarrassed. I mean that was a shit show of a tenure he had

Just a bitch way to go out. Take the high road. Be thankful for the opportunity and those who supported him. Thank his players for their efforts. It’s an opportunity and closes the door on a higher note. It shows his lack of character. That’s all.

This is spot on.
Not like Archie is going to hold a press conference and say “I love you Hoosier Nation.! I just put on a four year shitshow for you all and you still stuck by me to the very end. Sorry that I had losing records to Purdue.......and Rutgers and Ohio State and Wisconsin and Michigan and Northwestern and Indiana State and IPFW and....”

I think he was actually in seclusion in Mike Davis’ basement until the next week and then was smuggled out in the middle of the night.

Sometimes, like this time, it’s better to just quietly go a different direction and not make a bunch of noise.
At the end of the day, I think that Archie knew that he had failed miserably here and was probably just a deer in the headlights. I would have to believe the guy is not that obtuse that he didn’t actually think these last 4 years were anything but one giant turd.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
This is spot on.
Not like Archie is going to hold a press conference and say “I love you Hoosier Nation.! I just put on a four year shitshow for you all and you still stuck by me to the very end. Sorry that I had losing records to Purdue.......and Rutgers and Ohio State and Wisconsin and Michigan and Northwestern and Indiana State and IPFW and....”

I think he was actually in seclusion in Mike Davis’ basement until the next week and then was smuggled out in the middle of the night.

Sometimes, like this time, it’s better to just quietly go a different direction and not make a bunch of noise.
At the end of the day, I think that Archie knew that he had failed miserably here and was probably just a deer in the headlights. I would have to believe the guy is not that obtuse that he didn’t actually think these last 4 years were anything but one giant turd.
tenor.gif
Totally agree! I think you just have to move on after that run.

By the way, kudos on the thread title: “Archie’s Goodbye”

It sounds like it would fit in nicely with one of those late 80s / early 90s rom-com movies like “Sleepless In Seattle” or “When Harry Met Sallie.”
Or maybe like one of the 250 movies that Woody Allen ever put out. “Archie’s Goodbye” with: Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, Soon-Yi, Adam Sandler, Don Johnson and Millie Bobby Brown.

Reactions: FloatingHooz
Honestly CAM's silence is the perfect ending to a stretch of 4 LOST years for this program.

Look, we're all humans....I'm sure he could sense, near the end of the season, the direction this was heading. When he walked off the court for the last time with the boos raining down, ....let's just say, based on what might have been waiting next yr if he stayed...Dolson put him out of his misery. Mercy killing with a $10M pink slip.

Archie didn't say much while he was here, so I'm not really surprised.

Archie didn't say much while he was here, so I'm not really surprised.
Archie is lacking a dynamic, friendly personality which hurt him in many ways. His relationship with fans, media and recruits could have been better..
It's not Archie's fault FG gave him a good contract. I'm ready to move on and not look back.

I understand your point. I do feel that some type of "Bloomington is a wonderful place", "I wish it had worked out better", "Good luck in the future", would have been a little classier.

Reactions: DANC
his employer just told him "look, we want you gone so badly, we're willing to pay you EIGHT DIGITS just to go away". The only person Archie should be thanking is the booster who wrote the check.

His personality was never the right fit for this job. I don't remember one moment when he looked comfortable or looked happy to be here. Even Crean looked giddy to be here (although that might just be part of his overall creepiness....?).

So far I have been pleased with what I've heard from Woodson and Fife. Unlike Archie, it's obvious to everyone that they WANT to be here, and are painfully aware of the void in this program over the past many yrs. Never once got that feeling from CAM.

Last edited:
I understand your point. I do feel that some type of "Bloomington is a wonderful place", "I wish it had worked out better", "Good luck in the future", would have been a little classier.

Even the coach at Cincinnati, fired for reasons as yet not revealed, has been gracious. His attorney, OTOH, may be whipping out some lawsuits fairly soon.

Fortunately, despite Archie being mentioned as a replacement, another Miller - Wes - was hired.

I griped for years about Archie's dogged stoicism as things crashed and burned all around him. It drove me nuts about him. I'd have been fine with that if everything was progressing as it should. But that it so obviously wasn't -- like, ever -- made that act pretty irritating for me.

But, honestly, the past month has been about the first time that I've appreciated his silence. We have a new coaching staff now. Archie is in IU's rearview mirror, and IU is in his. Let's just let it stay there.

Reactions: 76-1
Not a valid excuse.
Agreed, take the high road and go out with some class. If he doesn't want to write it, his agent should release something as simple as the following:

"I want to thank Indiana University for the opportunity to lead this program for 4 years. While I am proud of some of the things that we accomplished in that time, I am disappointed that we did not achieve our ultimate goal of hanging another banner in SSAH. My family and I enjoyed our time in Bloomington and I wish the administration, fans and players nothing but the best."

Is that so hard?

Exactly, I think it says a lot from the players' reactions. I have not seen any player defend or thank Archie. In many situations when a coach gets fired they speak out, but crickets here. Actually the opposite with how many have talked about Woodson going to 'finally let them play', getting some real offenses together, overall pretty excited for this new fun style of really playing basketball. It is not hard to read between the lines to tell the players were not happy, specifically about not playing the kind of basketball they wanted to play.

For anyone who followed this program the last 4 years to not realize that isn’t Archie’s MO is screaming out your cluelessness.

It seemed weird that Archie did some advertising spots that first year but I don't remember him doing anything the last three years. He just didn't seem comfortable in a PR situation.

Just on personality, I preferred the taciturn Miller to the babbling incoherent narcissistic Crean.

As often said here, winning fixes everything. If we had been winning, nobody would give a crap about Archie's dour personality. We'd probably be celebrating and defending it in some way.

I don't read any kind of hidden message into his lack of a farewell statement. On the contrary it's not surprising at all. Why do people feel the need for some sort of emotional conclusion to his tenure here?

If somebody gave me 3-4 million dollars to do a bad job and 10-12 million dollars on top of that to leave, I'd be doing cartwheels all the way to the Virgin Islands. If people wanted to boo me on the way or hurl insults/mud, it would be like water off of a duck's back.

I doubt Archie is hurting too bad right now. Sure, he failed in the big leagues and has to come to terms with his coaching ability, but a lot of money tends to make things better.
Only time will tell if Archie proves to everyone that he can be a good coach in the big leagues, but as for now it looks as though he was given an opportunity of a lifetime to make a lot of money in a relatively short amount of time. He’s only about 42, so he has time on his side to reinvent himself and become a successful coach.

Archie is lacking a dynamic, friendly personality which hurt him in many ways. His relationship with fans, media and recruits could have been better..
It's not Archie's fault FG gave him a good contract. I'm ready to move on and not look back.
I think that describes him and the issues pretty spot on....

Agreed, take the high road and go out with some class. If he doesn't want to write it, his agent should release something as simple as the following:

"I want to thank Indiana University for the opportunity to lead this program for 4 years. While I am proud of some of the things that we accomplished in that time, I am disappointed that we did not achieve our ultimate goal of hanging another banner in SSAH. My family and I enjoyed our time in Bloomington and I wish the administration, fans and players nothing but the best."

Is that so hard?
He could cut and paste that...

Outside of an NFL head coach getting canned, does this ever happen?

I can't really remember a fired coach having a thank you presser.

Did Davis, Sampson, Dakich or Crean send thank you statements out when they left? If so, post them, as I do not remember any.

Reactions: FloatingHooz
He is a complete dud of a human being so it doesn’t surprise me he hasn’t said anything.
I was off the Archie train earlier than most, and vocally so. But even I never had any issues with his character.

But I’ll concede that I never got to know much about it. What makes you say this?

I was off the Archie train earlier than most, and vocally so. But even I never had any issues with his character.

But I’ll concede that I never got to know much about it. What makes you say this?
Don’t think it’s a character issue. More of a commentary on his engaging personality...

ADVERTISEMENT