ADVERTISEMENT

Archaeological Discovery

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
I've always wanted to check out Easter Island.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...-bodies/ar-AAoRyXG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

The Easter Island heads are known as Moai by the Rapa Nui people, who carved the figures in the tropical South Pacific directly west of Chile. The Moai monoliths, carved from stone found on the island, are between 1,100 and 1,500 CE. (CE refers to the “Common Era” and replaced the use of A.D. in historical and archaeological communities.)

$

Reactions: twenty02

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...-bodies/ar-AAoRyXG?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

The Easter Island heads are known as Moai by the Rapa Nui people, who carved the figures in the tropical South Pacific directly west of Chile. The Moai monoliths, carved from stone found on the island, are between 1,100 and 1,500 CE. (CE refers to the “Common Era” and replaced the use of A.D. in historical and archaeological communities.)

$

Um, that's not a "new" discovery (that the heads have buried bodies). In fact, the pictures in your post are quite old (from the 1950s, I believe).

Um, that's not a "new" discovery (that the heads have buried bodies). In fact, the pictures in your post are quite old (from the 1950s, I believe).
I'm pretty sure we've* always known they had bodies because only some of them were ever buried. Still, they are pretty cool, and it would be an exciting place to visit sometime. I'm pretty sure Alex Trebek is taking a group of lucky Jeopardy fans on an Easter Island tour later this year. (Seriously :D )

*As in white people, I guess, but specifically scientists, not necessarily the general population.

I'm pretty sure we've* always known they had bodies because only some of them were ever buried. Still, they are pretty cool, and it would be an exciting place to visit sometime. I'm pretty sure Alex Trebek is taking a group of lucky Jeopardy fans on an Easter Island tour later this year. (Seriously :D )

*As in white people, I guess, but specifically scientists, not necessarily the general population.

White people? Heck, anyone who's been to Easter Island would have known they had bodies, as not all of them are buried. William Hodges even painted them way back when the Declaration of Independence was signed (oh, and some of them are wearing hats--I wonder if CNN will run a headline story about that next week):

1280px-Hodges_easter-island.jpg

$
I asked a professor from Ball State what is the event that separates BCE and CE he admitted that it was the birth of Jesus Christ. So I then asked him why would you change the time designations since the birth of Jesus is the dividing line? He had no answer.

The answer is quite simple. Not everyone wants to make all of history point to Jesus. You and I may believe it does, but we are a minority. Anthropology and history are not, intrinsically, tied to a single religion.

I asked a professor from Ball State what is the event that separates BCE and CE he admitted that it was the birth of Jesus Christ. So I then asked him why would you change the time designations since the birth of Jesus is the dividing line? He had no answer.
Your professor is wrong. One of the reasons we no longer use BC/AD is that we recognize it's not even right: Jesus was born in about 4 BC.

That is not even remotely accurate.

The answer is quite simple. Not everyone wants to make all of history point to Jesus. You and I may believe it does, but we are a minority. Anthropology and history are not, intrinsically, tied to a single religion.

you missed his whole point, which was a legit one.

Nahhh. We use BCE and CE because it would be too unwieldy to refer to BCE using negative numbers. For example, 1200 BCE is better than saying "-1200", and who wants to write "+2017" on all of their letters and the like?

Questions:
Is the year zero BCE or CE? And back in the year zero did people write "0" or "Zero" when writing the day's date? In other words, would the top of a letter have had the date written as "July 27, 0" or "July 27, Zero"?

Nahhh. We use BCE and CE because it would be too unwieldy to refer to BCE using negative numbers. For example, 1200 BCE is better than saying "-1200", and who wants to write "+2017" on all of their letters and the like?

Questions:
Is the year zero BCE or CE? And back in the year zero did people write "0" or "Zero" when writing the day's date? In other words, would the top of a letter have had the date written as "July 27, 0" or "July 27, Zero"?
There is no year zero.

Impossible. If there is no year zero, explain why we celebrated the new millennium at the end of 1999.
Because we are idiots.

Fun fact: people freaked out about the year 999, too. I wonder who back then was running around saying, "No, no, no. The millennium doesn't end until after year 1000!"

you missed his whole point, which was a legit one.
I didn't miss it, because he doesn't have one. There are lots of calendars in the world. The Gregorian one may be the most popular in our culture, but I cannot fault someone for wanting to replace a religious bias in the way they enumerate the years.

You missed my point, which is actually legit.

The fact that you missed it is not surprising.

Last edited:
Its Year 4667 in the Chinese Calendar. (24th day of the 11month in 4667)

We should start using this instead of some Christian orientated number which I am sure irritates the Muslims, Buddhist, Hindus etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT