ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently we just got a commitment from a JUCO

Seems like a big body, and also appears he got offer after the other JUCO OL committed to Pitt. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or not a good prospect, but also likely means he’ll need time to develop and don’t pop the champagne just yet.

One thing good to build upon: almost all the OL guys we’re getting seem to be 6’5 or taller, and that is good if the S/C staff can get them B10 ready. Rather have a line of 6’5 & above than 6-3 or below. Good luck to this new Hoosier.

Seems like a big body, and also appears he got offer after the other JUCO OL committed to Pitt. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or not a good prospect, but also likely means he’ll need time to develop and don’t pop the champagne just yet.

One thing good to build upon: almost all the OL guys we’re getting seem to be 6’5 or taller, and that is good if the S/C staff can get them B10 ready. Rather have a line of 6’5 & above than 6-3 or below. Good luck to this new Hoosier.

After watching his film I think he has some potential.......played LT at the JC level. Pretty mobile for his size. I agree with the other poster that he needs to add some strength & weight. He is a 2 year guy so that may help.

Reactions: red hornet
I hope that he's being brought in with the intent of being able to be a backup his 2nd (last) year.

Because I would hope by 2021 we'd be able to rely on what we've got already (Bedford, Katic, Rafferty, Jones, Beery, and/or O'Connor) to be able to hold it down. With as good as OL as been the last few years, it'd be a let down if the new crop isn't developing quite as well.

I hope that he's being brought in with the intent of being able to be a backup his 2nd (last) year.

Because I would hope by 2021 we'd be able to rely on what we've got already (Bedford, Katic, Rafferty, Jones, Beery, and/or O'Connor) to be able to hold it down. With as good as OL as been the last few years, it'd be a let down if the new crop isn't developing quite as well.
Tackle depth was a concern, so this guy certainly helps with that. I don't expect him to win a starting spot, but if he does, then you can simply slide Bedford inside. I like that this kid has two years. Hopefully he was a qualifier out of high school so we don't have to worry about finite math.

Seems like we're collecting a lot of bodies in the OL room. Unlike the Def line, I don't feel like the offense substitutes OL players as much during games, so a few thoughts here are:
-Competition is a good thing and we seemingly will have competition there for starting spots & #2 in depth chart positions
-Seemingly we could have fresh non-starter OL for FG & Extra Points to allow rest for starters and playing time for at least #2 back ups?
-If natural selections works out and people find that they are lower on depth chart, could see some lower end transfers ahead, which can look bad to some, but if we lose players truly not playing, I like when that opens up new scholly or transfer slots to prospects who can.

Will be good to see what Hiller can do with the current crop. We have some big boys and actually some players who do have experience. Would be nice to see IU OL start to be compared more to the Wiscy/Iowa types that are consistently good and allow IU to better compete with the big boys!

Nobody liked the Demarcus Elliott signing last year and he was a god send. Let's see how it plays out.
True, Of course Elliott's level of play is more of an exception than a rule, but still, proves it's possible that additions can be worthwhile & productive.Regardless, gotta' trust our coaches judgement, they've been very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT