ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently Bob Knight was at the Marian University game today

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001

EOBsem7X4AAsCrW

No idea, but that is not an encouraging photo.
As was posted earlier, dementia patients will have good days and bad days. On the good days they're connected and lucid and in good spirits; on bad days they're not. Then there's "sundowning", where the patient is relatively okay during the daytime, but deteriorates in late afternoon and evening.

That may have just been a bad photo, but it looked like today wasn't a good day for the Coach.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
As was posted earlier, dementia patients will have good days and bad days. On the good days they're connected and lucid and in good spirits; on bad days they're not. Then there's "sundowning", where the patient is relatively okay during the daytime, but deteriorates in late afternoon and evening.

That may have just been a bad photo, but it looked like today wasn't a good day for the Coach.

I hope it was just a bad photo.

Reactions: Sassy61
Read the links and decide for yourself.
I'm not reading those articles again and I won't discuss RMK's aging process Let the man live in peace. You can tune into Dakich Monday and hear his "scorched earth" rant on RMK visiting Steve Downing instead of coming to IU.

I would also avoid a place where people were going to talk about me and speculate on my decline. RMK should be able to do as he pleases and people need to act with respect and decency.

RMK is the same age as my dad. Dad admits he has trouble making decisions and calls me for advice because he said he feels his mind is changing. Dad seems sharp as a tack, but only he knows how he feels. I'm not going to write an article in his home paper speculating that my dad is losing his mind and nobody has the right to do that about RMK!

Not too long ago I was visiting a lady in the nursing home. We were having a good time. Then she leans over to me and asks, "Has the church found a pastor yet?" I said, "Bea, I'm the pastor". Then she started to laugh because she realized what she said. You are right. They have good days and bad. And sometimes good hours and bad ones.

well it clearly was good enough to go to a game...shame it wasn't ours..

well it clearly was good enough to go to a game...shame it wasn't ours..

I don't know much about a lot of things, but something I know a little about is caring for someone with dementia/alzheimers. What I can tell you, is the people in the best position to determine what the person is capable of is their caregivers. I'll bet there's nothing those around Coach Knight would like more for him at this point than to see him walk in triumphantly to Assembly Hall and feel the love the program has for him. But, that's countered by the fear that on a bad day, it could overwhelm him and expose him to the embarrassment or even ridicule of thousands seeing him during a bad day. If I had to guess, and I think the picture is good evidence, they felt that he needed a smaller environment with a few friendly faces yesterday, rather than the overwhelming tide of emotion and confusion that might come from walking out at AH. Looks like he's up in a press or hospitality box, not down on the floor. Let's let his loved ones determine when the right time is. If he's up to it, from all indications, I am confident it will happen.

I don't know much about a lot of things, but something I know a little about is caring for someone with dementia/alzheimers. What I can tell you, is the people in the best position to determine what the person is capable of is their caregivers. I'll bet there's nothing those around Coach Knight would like more for him at this point than to see him walk in triumphantly to Assembly Hall and feel the love the program has for him. But, that's countered by the fear that on a bad day, it could overwhelm him and expose him to the embarrassment or even ridicule of thousands seeing him during a bad day. If I had to guess, and I think the picture is good evidence, they felt that he needed a smaller environment with a few friendly faces yesterday, rather than the overwhelming tide of emotion and confusion that might come from walking out at AH. Looks like he's up in a press or hospitality box, not down on the floor. Let's let his loved ones determine when the right time is. If he's up to it, from all indications, I am confident it will happen.

Good post. That's a shame he waited this long. It would have been nice had he done it five years ago or whatever so he could have been strong enough and lucid enough to participate with what i'm certain would be a moving reception. i think over the last 20 or so years we've learned that despite a massive following and spending more than just about any school in the country what made indiana special was bob knight. 30 years and so many wonderful memories. i don't know how the school can honor him but he needs a statue or something. i guess it's tricky considering he's a "terminated employee," but there must be something that can be done.

Good post. That's a shame he waited this long. It would have been nice had he done it five years ago or whatever so he could have been strong enough and lucid enough to participate with what i'm certain would be a moving reception. i think over the last 20 or so years we've learned that despite a massive following and spending more than just about any school in the country what made indiana special was bob knight. 30 years and so many wonderful memories. i don't know how the school can honor him but he needs a statue or something. i guess it's tricky considering he's a "terminated employee," but there must be something that can be done.

Tricky, my ass. If OSU can honor Woody Hayes, I don’t see what the BFD is with IU honoring RMK. But I’m not surprised. There’s a contingent at IU, on this forum too, who hate the man as much or more than he hated the IU administration. They don’t deserve to have him walk back into AH.

Reactions: Bligedy
Tricky, my ass. If OSU can honor Woody Hayes, I don’t see what the BFD is with IU honoring RMK. But I’m not surprised. There’s a contingent at IU, on this forum too, who hate the man as much or more than he hated the IU administration. They don’t deserve to have him walk back into AH.
RMK is a bitter old man. He can't help the "old part" but he has control over the "bitter" situation. I don't like Dakich but he's saying a ton of smack and it will be interesting to see if he follows through on Monday.

RMK is a bitter old man. He can't help the "old part" but he has control over the "bitter" situation. I don't like Dakich but he's saying a ton of smack and it will be interesting to see if he follows through on Monday.
What's Dakich saying?

I do not care if he ever goes to SSAH. I wish him enough mental acuity to "enjoy" his remaining days.

He’s had numerous chances to come back. The fans wanted it for a long time. The administration who fired him is long dead or retired. He didn’t do it for the fans or his former players. He’s chosen to be a bitter old man about it.

Reason 567,987 not to listen to whatever drivel is coming out of Dakich's mouth.
What did Dakich say that was wrong concerning Coach Knight? He said that Coach should have been there when they celebrated the 76 team. I agree with that assessment. He said Coach Knight was hard to work for. I can see it. Now don't get me wrong. Nobody loves Coach Knight as a fan more than me. I met the man on a plane in Dec 86 after I got out of basic training for the Air Force. We were on a flight from St Louis to Indy. I got his autograph and still have it to this day. I told him that I hoped IU had a great year. We won it all that year in 87. In my mind I think he told the players about me, erected a statue to the unknown soldier and the whole season was about playing so I would be happy. lol

Reactions: Klaus 7196
He’s had numerous chances to come back. The fans wanted it for a long time. The administration who fired him is long dead or retired. He didn’t do it for the fans or his former players. He’s chosen to be a bitter old man about it.
I don't think he is bitter anymore. He moved back to Bloomington, went to an IU baseball game, and made an appearance at the Bluebird for a players' reunion. I think a return to AH is possible. As people have stated, maybe his health is an issue for a big event like AH. Maybe RMK just wants to keep it low key like the baseball game and watch from the press box.

What did Dakich say that was wrong concerning Coach Knight? He said that Coach should have been there when they celebrated the 76 team. I agree with that assessment. He said Coach Knight was hard to work for. I can see it. Now don't get me wrong. Nobody loves Coach Knight as a fan more than me. I met the man on a plane in Dec 86 after I got out of basic training for the Air Force. We were on a flight from St Louis to Indy. I got his autograph and still have it to this day. I told him that I hoped IU had a great year. We won it all that year in 87. In my mind I think he told the players about me, erected a statue to the unknown soldier and the whole season was about playing so I would be happy. lol
The problem most IU fans have with Dan is that he’s extremely knowledgeable about IU yet he’s not a homer. Those two things drive some alleged IU fans crazy. A third is that he has a high profile and highly rated radio show and lives in his critics heads rent free. Funny to watch the hatred directed his way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
The problem most IU fans have with Dan is that he’s extremely knowledgeable about IU yet he’s not a homer. Those two things drive some alleged IU fans crazy. A third is that he has a high profile and highly rated radio show and lives in his critics heads rent free. Funny to watch the hatred directed his way.
05248533-d1d0-4bcd-bb39-01ab7c7eb672-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg

:rolleyes:

He’ll follow through. He’s done it before.

I have no real opinion on Coach Knight one way or the other. But it takes a special breed of coward to go after a 79 year old with mental health issues because he hasn’t done things the way you wanted him to. Double that cowardice if it’s your old coach.

Well, according to your earlier post, your hero was spreading a rumor about BK attending the Ohio game and he was ….uh wrong? How could this possibly be if he is so knowledgeable?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT