ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently a proposal will be voted on in April to extend the college season

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
to two segments: fall and spring. 14 or same games played in the fall wrapping up around t-giving, and 10 or so games in the spring with the ncaa final four taking place in may. if approved it would go into effect in aug 2022. ACC is behind it.

Reactions: Seyton and snowling
Todd supports it, along plenty of other top coaches. It would be nice to have the College Cup in warm weather. Soccer shouldn't be played in the snow and freezing temps.

Reactions: Seyton
Todd supports it, along plenty of other top coaches. It would be nice to have the College Cup in warm weather. Soccer shouldn't be played in the snow and freezing temps.
i'm with you. i guess my only complaint is that it still doesn't add up to very many games. 16 in the fall and 16 in the spring would be better. that said i'm not sure what the motivation is: bitching about players not developing in college because the season is too short, or having a final in warmer weather.

i'm with you. i guess my only complaint is that it still doesn't add up to very many games. 16 in the fall and 16 in the spring would be better. that said i'm not sure what the motivation is: bitching about players not developing in college because the season is too short, or having a final in warmer weather.
Yeah I don't fully understand either. If they want the finals in warm weather, just play it in Florida or California like they always used to do. No need to be playing December games in Ohio and Philly.

Yeah I don't fully understand either. If they want the finals in warm weather, just play it in Florida or California like they always used to do. No need to be playing December games in Ohio and Philly.
Yeah no kidding. I've never understood that.

How would your suggestion fit in with the respective academic semesters?

How would your suggestion fit in with the respective academic semesters?

this isn't my suggestion the dual semester has been formally proposed and apparently looks like it's going to happen. as to your question i really don't know. D1 soccer is problematic and really a unique thing. the programs have tiny budgets and as a result don't have much money for long trips. i know schools that play in the south would be fine. the university of north carolina system alone has 5 or 6 or 7 D1 programs itself. there's so many i lose track. there are probably 40 D1 schools in the carolinas. but schools like IU and SLU don't have many regional teams to play. their travel budgets would be a nightmare. anyway so long-winded answer to say i don't know much.

this isn't my suggestion the dual semester has been formally proposed and apparently looks like it's going to happen. as to your question i really don't know. D1 soccer is problematic and really a unique thing. the programs have tiny budgets and as a result don't have much money for long trips. i know schools that play in the south would be fine. the university of north carolina system alone has 5 or 6 or 7 D1 programs itself. there's so many i lose track. there are probably 40 D1 schools in the carolinas. but schools like IU and SLU don't have many regional teams to play. their travel budgets would be a nightmare. anyway so long-winded answer to say i don't know much.
Thanks for your comments. Seems like this needs some careful thought by the institutions involved.

Check out the letter written by Maryland head coach Sasha Cirovski on this topic (its on his Twitter). He lays out all the main talking points for making the switch. I’m still on the fence about this whole thing, but he gives a pretty thorough argument. The letter is signed by many high level coaches, including Todd Yeagley.

Reactions: snowling
Thanks for your comments. Seems like this needs some careful thought by the institutions involved.
Of course! yeah something does need to be done. player development really does stagnate in college. high school seniors play 100x more than kids in college.

Check out the letter written by Maryland head coach Sasha Cirovski on this topic (its on his Twitter). He lays out all the main talking points for making the switch. I’m still on the fence about this whole thing, but he gives a pretty thorough argument. The letter is signed by many high level coaches, including Todd Yeagley.

Will definitely check it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT