ADVERTISEMENT

AOTF Dumb Polls #2

What’s the best way to eat a potato?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Give me a baked potato with an assortment of toppings and I’m a happy guy. Broccoli and cheese, chili, fake bacon bits (don’t eat swine), just some butter or sour cream, salt and pepper.

My next favorite though would be red skinned garlic mashed with the skin on...

oh and I always eat the skin from my baked potato, because mamma always said that’s where the nutrients are

Reactions: All4You
au gratin baby! Cheese makes everything better! 2nd vote would be German potato salad with a big thick Reuben and a Paulaner! Reverse that, GPS is #1!

Home fries, fried taters, off the grill, never deep fried.
Can be eaten at any meal.

How do you grill em? I've sliced up sweet potatoes and grilled them with some olive oil and cinnamon, but haven't done potatoes. Guess I was thinking they'd take too long, but they shouldn't be that different than sweet potatoes. I have a couple copper grill mats that are great for veggies on the grill, if you've never tried them.

au gratin baby! Cheese makes everything better! 2nd vote would be German potato salad with a big thick Reuben and a Paulaner! Reverse that, GPS is #1!
I can get behind some GPS, but that other shit they call potato salad is some disgusting shit.

Reactions: kkott
I love simple fried potatoes rustic style. I don't think you can go wrong with nearly any potato preparation. That said, if you havent tried them I suggest Fondant or Hasselback style. Both are worth the extra work.

How do you grill em? I've sliced up sweet potatoes and grilled them with some olive oil and cinnamon, but haven't done potatoes. Guess I was thinking they'd take too long, but they shouldn't be that different than sweet potatoes. I have a couple copper grill mats that are great for veggies on the grill, if you've never tried them.
I love grilling potatoes! I get a bag of the yellow gold (I think that’s what they’re called) slice into 1/4 inch or less rounds, toss in a bowl with olive oil, S&P, any fresh herbs available but prefer oregano, some fresh lemon juice and throw on the grill. Also good with fresh mint or rosemary.

Another favorite is smashed potatoes. Boil some red skin potatoes. When just soft enough, drain. Grab a cookie sheet and some parchment or foil. Put your potatoes on the tray and one by one smash each one flat with the bottom of a glass or whatever you have. Once flattened brush a little olive oil and add your favorite toppings. Throw back in the oven until crispy. Trust me you’ll love these.
Honestly just a little olive oil, S&P, and some Parmesan cheese and I’m good.

Anyone ever had the Japanese Sweet potatoes? Kind of a purplish skin with a light yellow flesh but very dense. I swear you it’s the best sweet potato you’ll ever eat. Doesn’t need anything on it.

Not an outdoor grill, the flat cooking surfaces in diners where eggs, taters, bacon and burgers are fried.

Another favorite is smashed potatoes. Boil some red skin potatoes. When just soft enough, drain. Grab a cookie sheet and some parchment or foil. Put your potatoes on the tray and one by one smash each one flat with the bottom of a glass or whatever you have. Once flattened brush a little olive oil and add your favorite toppings. Throw back in the oven until crispy. Trust me you’ll love these.
Honestly just a little olive oil, S&P, and some Parmesan cheese and I’m good.
Our favorite way too. I put them in a hot cast iron pan so they get a little crisp on the bottom and then they go under the broiler.

Anyone ever had the Japanese Sweet potatoes? Kind of a purplish skin with a light yellow flesh but very dense. I swear you it’s the best sweet potato you’ll ever eat. Doesn’t need anything on it.

All I read was: "Japanese ... with a light yellow flesh!"

I'm sure someone has tried that! Que sglowrider in 3, 2, 1...

Our favorite way too. I put them in a hot cast iron pan so they get a little crisp on the bottom and then they go under the broiler.
That’s right I forgot to mention throwing under the broiler is the best way to get that finished crisp.

All I read was: "Japanese ... with a light yellow flesh!"

I'm sure someone has tried that! Que sglowrider in 3, 2, 1...

I do use Japanese cucumber for my sandwiches. Crispy cucumbers. Food to me is all about the complexity in texture. The Japanese cucumbers are always a nice addition.

plowetD8ZALIF1tmzX-kD6Yw_OMCxtAP5u8N4o6my6w5q2EWVbCi1DfNwhaUDy5afuiPXqehiBzfN0Uwx7jgmm0mEGF-IyI62gbViFhZFI4B

Reactions: Eppy99
I do use Japanese cucumber for my sandwiches. Crispy cucumbers. Food to me is all about the complexity in texture. The Japanese cucumbers are always a nice addition.

plowetD8ZALIF1tmzX-kD6Yw_OMCxtAP5u8N4o6my6w5q2EWVbCi1DfNwhaUDy5afuiPXqehiBzfN0Uwx7jgmm0mEGF-IyI62gbViFhZFI4B
Looks like the same variety they call English here in the states.

Looks like the same variety they call English here in the states.

I can only remember two really good meals ever in my life. One of them was at Nobu in LA. The chef must have sliced that cucumber so thin, translucent and use that to wrap up the sushi instead of seaweed. It was amazing.
The complexity of the texture.

I can only remember two really good meals ever in my life. One of them was at Nobu in LA. The chef must have sliced that cucumber so thin, translucent and use that to wrap up the sushi instead of seaweed. It was amazing.
The complexity of the texture.

And wash it all down with a $5 milkshake?

POTATO NIKOROGASHI – JAPANESE STYLE

imo-nikkoro1-500x333.jpg

https://www.atelierlalune.com/2017/04/potato-nikorogashi-japanese-style/

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

• 4 potatoes (750g) - cut into bite-size
  • 35g butter
  • - Ingredient A -
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp cooking sake or white wine
  • 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
Instructions
  • 1. Cook potatoes in the microwave until soft about for 10 minutes.
  • 2. Heat the butter in a fry-pan and fry potaotes in butter for 2 mins. Add all the ingredient A in the fry pan and cook them over low heat. Stir them to combine evenly for about 10 mins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT