AOTF Dumb Poll #8

Is a hotdog in the bun a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Goddam right it is. You've got bread and you've got meat. Its a ****ing sandwich and don't allow anyone to tell you it's not.

Goddam right it is. You've got bread and you've got meat. Its a ****ing sandwich and don't allow anyone to tell you it's not.

Hell yeah, even better butterfly that dog/sausage before it hits the flat top, pan or grill, put it on a toasted hoagie roll and the toppings are limitless due to improved sammich engineering and construction.

Reactions: Eppy99
A sandwich has bread on the top and bottom....not on the sides. Now, I've MADE a hot dog sandwich before when I nuked my dogs and then realized I was out of buns but had bread, but generally speaking, a hot dog is not a sandwich....it is a hot dog on a bun.

FYI: pizza also has bread and meat (or can) and it is not a sandwich

Reactions: hookyIU1990
A sandwich has bread on the top and bottom....not on the sides. Now, I've MADE a hot dog sandwich before when I nuked my dogs and then realized I was out of buns but had bread, but generally speaking, a hot dog is not a sandwich....it is a hot dog on a bun.

FYI: pizza also has bread and meat (or can) and it is not a sandwich

Stuffed pizza, calzones and similar I consider a sandwich. Hand held, encased in bread, somewhat portable...screams sammich. As for a hot dog bun not meeting your definition of bread top and bottom it's all a matter of perspective as I can always lay the hot dog in it's two sided bun on it's side...sammich.

Hell yeah, even better butterfly that dog/sausage before it hits the flat top, pan or grill, put it on a toasted hoagie roll and the toppings are limitless due to improved sammich engineering and construction.
Then you have a sandwich. A hotdog in a bun, not even close. Q “What kind of sandwich would you like?” A. “A hotdog”. Nope, doesn’t work.
Q “what kind of sandwich would you like?”
A “I do tmm

Stuffed pizza, calzones and similar I consider a sandwich. Hand held, encased in bread, somewhat portable...screams sammich. As for a hot dog bun not meeting your definition of bread top and bottom it's all a matter of perspective as I can always lay the hot dog in it's two sided bun on it's side...sammich.

No way in HELL a calzone is a sammich!

smh. For it to be a sandwich, you need to be able to but sandwich at the end. Ham sandwich, check. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, check. Cuban sandwich, check. Hogue sandwich, check. Hotdog sandwich, nope. Calzone sandwich, nope. Etc.

No way in HELL a calzone is a sammich!

smh. For it to be a sandwich, you need to be able to but sandwich at the end. Ham sandwich, check. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, check. Cuban sandwich, check. Hogue sandwich, check. Hotdog sandwich, nope. Calzone sandwich, nope. Etc.

In a world where all the following exist, I think I soft taco, hot dog and calzone come way closer to meeting the definition of a sandwich:

Sandwich cremes (cookies)
Ice cream Sandwich (ice cream, also using ice cream in the middle of two cookies and call it a sandwich)
Sandwich Mints (candies)
Uncrustables (filled pies classified on the package as a sandwich)

And prolly dozens more, those were off the top of my head. And if you've seen Harold and Kumar in Guantanamo Bay, a cockmeat sammich most certainly fails that definition.

In a world where all the following exist, I think I soft taco, hot dog and calzone come way closer to meeting the definition of a sandwich:

Sandwich cremes (cookies)
Ice cream Sandwich (ice cream, also using ice cream in the middle of two cookies and call it a sandwich)
Sandwich Mints (candies)
Uncrustables (filled pies classified on the package as a sandwich)

And prolly dozens more, those were off the top of my head. And if you've seen Harold and Kumar in Guantanamo Bay, a cockmeat sammich most certainly fails that definition.
Damn, didn’t think that through. Although, notice all those except the ice cream sandwich START with sandwich, not end. I guess butting sandwich at the end isn’t definitive it is a sandwich, but if it doesn’t work at the end, it is a non starter as a sandwich. I’m trying here.

Reactions: All4You
If bread with meat inside is the criterion, then what would you consider this appetizer or you get with dim sum in Chinese cuisine?

fZoef9ONyNi5cX7V7UMebqGYDMEL-FRIdT8Ar3TnsFPyHnXm4NrXsB9OFOmDYr8cbGMpXdnqvlly1ZKLhth1QEKT=s800

115f07c8a7c8244092e427400e7292ea.jpg

There are steamed slices of pork or chicken with egg and stuff packed inside a breaded dumpling. The bread's really nice & soft when the dumpling is fresh out of the kitchen.

12901131174_6552353584_z.jpg

All hand made.

Or a baked version:

maxresdefault.jpg

Flakey fluffy pastry with lightly sweet stewed pork inside.

I just got a bunch of them at a local bakery yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: All4You
Plenty of sandwiches exist in the appetizer category. And good lord, from traditional to modern westernized versions, the variety of dim sums is boundless...I am sure there are dozens that I would consider as sammich-like (at least ones that can be consumed sans utensils).

Man, now you made me hungry for dumplings lol. I have toyed with the idea to prepare and cook my own bastardized version of Xiao Long Bao with the ham and turkey leftovers from the holidays (I always stored the leftovers in the fatty pan drippings and broth in containers, which congeals after a night in the fridge, and my first thought was that meat combined with that congealed broth and fat, some grated ginger, herbs and seasonings would make some kick ass soup dumplings). I should finally try it this year, just always been afraid to **** it up as they seem to require a bit more precision than my patience would allow.

Reactions: sglowrider
If bread with meat inside is the criterion, then what would you consider this appetizer or you fine in dim sums in Chinese cuisine?

fZoef9ONyNi5cX7V7UMebqGYDMEL-FRIdT8Ar3TnsFPyHnXm4NrXsB9OFOmDYr8cbGMpXdnqvlly1ZKLhth1QEKT=s800

115f07c8a7c8244092e427400e7292ea.jpg

There are steamed slices of pork or chicken with egg and stuff packed inside a breaded dumpling. The bread's really nice & soft when the dumpling is fresh out of the kitchen.

12901131174_6552353584_z.jpg

All hand made.

Or a baked version:

maxresdefault.jpg

Flakey fluffy pastry with lightly sweet stewed pork inside.

I just got a bunch of them at a local bakery yesterday.

Is a turkey pot pie a sandwich? Meat inside, with bread on the outside? Mincemeat pie?

Plenty of sandwiches exist in the appetizer category. And good lord, from traditional to modern westernized versions, the variety of dim sums is boundless...I am sure there are dozens that I would consider as sammich-like (at least ones that can be consumed sans utensils).

Man, now you made me hungry for dumplings lol. I have toyed with the idea to prepare and cook my own bastardized version of Xiao Long Bao with the ham and turkey leftovers from the holidays (I always stored the leftovers in the fatty pan drippings and broth in containers, which congeals after a night in the fridge, and my first thought was that meat combined with that congealed broth and fat, some grated ginger, herbs and seasonings would make some kick ass soup dumplings). I should finally try it this year, just always been afraid to **** it up as they seem to require a bit more precision than my patience would allow.

I am not a huge fan of it but its really popular over here. My nephew (who lives in the Bay area) attempted to make some the other day... showed it to me on slack the other day.....didn't quite recognise it at first!!! :oops:

There is a one star Michlin Tim Sum restaurant here (originally from HK) called Tim Ho Wan. They are famous for their Xiao long baos.

maxresdefault.jpg

Its a very delicate dumpling to make as well as to eat.

If you are into dumplings, there is a province/city in China, cant remember the name. Maybe in Xian?

But I had the dumpling dinner in Shanghai. They are huge on dumplings. The ethnic dinner there consisted of 12 dishes of different dumplings. Reminded me of Forrest Gump and the ways of cooking shrimps.

First of all, I didn't realise that there were so many ways of making dumplings. Secondly, WTF how much can one person eat? By the 8th dish, I was stuffed to the gills. Plus the alcohol...

The Chinese food I find fascinating is the Western Chinese food -- from the Gobi Desert side. It has the Central Asiatic influence. Don't really recognise it if you lived in the west. Skewer type foods like kebabs etc. After you cook it in a fire you then roll the meats/veggies in various dry powdery dressing. Wash it down in a beer or five.
I cant remember where I was in China -- had like 40-50 skewers with a colleague and must be a dozen beers between the two of us. It only cost us like $20-25!!

Is a turkey pot pie a sandwich? Meat inside, with bread on the outside? Mincemeat pie?

Sort of but the meats more delicately cooked in a sauce. They will have some turnip and 1/4 hard boil egg in it to give it different texture.

Another type of dumpling will have roasted sweet pork in it.

The bread's always really soft, melts in your mouth if it's steaming fresh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT