ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching Lodge 49 (new series on AMC)? other good TV options?

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
Started watching it a few weeks ago (from first episode on), and it's really good. Some have compared it to The Big Lebowski. I suppose there is some similarity in the broad sense, and the main character's nickname is "Dud" (Sean Dudley). The show's creator, on the other hand, says it's inspired by Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49.

Regardless, the show has some great eclectic (and seriously flawed) characters, multiple plotlines, and several hilariously bizarre scenes. For example, in the last episode someone fell from a balcony and was impaled (from the back of his head through an eye) on the tusk of a narwhal statue--not only did the guy survive, but it led to a debate among two characters over the correct pronunciation of narwhal(e) (nahr-wuhl or nahr-weyl).

Season finale is on Monday, but you can probably watch all the entire on-demand (or, given it's the season finale, AMC is probably running a full season marathon this weekend or on Monday).

Started watching it a few weeks ago (from first episode on), and it's really good. Some have compared it to The Big Lebowski. I suppose there is some similarity in the broad sense, and the main character's nickname is "Dud" (Sean Dudley). The show's creator, on the other hand, says it's inspired by Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49.

Regardless, the show has some great eclectic (and seriously flawed) characters, multiple plotlines, and several hilariously bizarre scenes. For example, in the last episode someone fell from a balcony and was impaled (from the back of his head through an eye) on the tusk of a narwhal statue--not only did the guy survive, but it led to a debate among two characters over the correct pronunciation of narwhal(e) (nahr-wuhl or nahr-weyl).

Season finale is on Monday, but you can probably watch all the entire on-demand (or, given it's the season finale, AMC is probably running a full season marathon this weekend or on Monday).
I watched a couple episodes and will likely watch more. I like quirky television.

I recommend "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" that's showing on Amazon Prime (and perhaps elsewhere). It's smart, funny, and well-written. Set in the Manhattan of 1958, it has a "Mad Men" aspect that interests me. (Apparently I've been living under a rock, because I only learned after the fact that the show cleaned up at the Emmys.) Rachel Brosnahan is pitch perfect as Midge Maisel, and Tony Shalhoub inhabits the character of her self-absorbed father.

Reactions: MrBing and twenty02
I watched a couple episodes and will likely watch more. I like quirky television.

I recommend "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" that's showing on Amazon Prime (and perhaps elsewhere). It's smart, funny, and well-written. Set in the Manhattan of 1958, it has a "Mad Men" aspect that interests me. (Apparently I've been living under a rock, because I only learned after the fact that the show cleaned up at the Emmys.) Rachel Brosnahan is pitch perfect as Midge Maisel, and Tony Shalhoub inhabits the character of her self-absorbed father.
I love Mrs. Maisel too! Is the second season out? I saw a really interesting mystery in the spirit of Wallendar with Shetland on Netflix. Also really like The Crown

I love Mrs. Maisel too! Is the second season out? I saw a really interesting mystery in the spirit of Wallendar with Shetland on Netflix. Also really like The Crown
I'm reliably informed that at least some of the second season is out. I also thought "The Crown" was well done, and I agree about "Shetland" too.

Been meaning to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Will try to watch some this weekend.

As for Lodge 49, I was ambivalent after the first couple of episodes. But it get's significantly better. I could tell they were laying the groundwork for various plotlines, and I am glad I stuck it out.

Been meaning to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Will try to watch some this weekend.

As for Lodge 49, I was ambivalent after the first couple of episodes. But it get's significantly better. I could tell they were laying the groundwork for various plotlines, and I am glad I stuck it out.
Good to hear. That's right about where I am now, so I'll forge ahead.

A hazard warning for Mrs. Maisel: Earworms abound for anyone who's a fan of the Manhattan-worthy music of that period. "Summer Wind" has been stuck in my head for days.

Reactions: Digressions
A hazard warning for Mrs. Maisel: Earworms abound for anyone who's a fan of the Manhattan-worthy music of that period. "Summer Wind" has been stuck in my head for days.

I heard this at the end/credits of Ozrak recently. It immediately stuck in my head, and now I play/sing it when putting my 3 month old daughter down to sleep.

Guessing that's where you picked it up too?

Reactions: Rockfish1
I heard this at the end/credits of Ozrak recently. It immediately stuck in my head, and now I play/sing it when putting my 3 month old daughter down to sleep.

Guessing that's where you picked it up too?
Wow. I may have transposed because I've recently been watching both Ozark and Mrs. Maisel. Which is to say that as a fan of Jason Bateman, I've been watching Season 2 of Ozark.

I like the image of you sending your daughter to sleep with daddy's idea of Sinatra. She probably won't like it when she hears the Chairman of the Board try to imitate her father.

My little girl who was once three months old is now 25 years old. When she was three months old she insisted that I jiggle her to sleep before I put her to bed. If I stopped jiggling, she nudged me. I also had to do this while standing. Apparently the ergonomics of the sitting jiggling were all wrong.

Anyway, now she's going to law school. And the jiggling thing feels like yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow. I may have transposed because I've recently been watching both Ozark and Mrs. Maisel. Which is to say that as a fan of Jason Bateman, I've been watching Season 2 of Ozark.

I like the image of you sending your daughter to sleep with daddy's idea of Sinatra. She probably won't like it when she hears the Chairman of the Board try to imitate her father.

My little girl who was once three months old is now 25 years old. When she was three months old she insisted that I jiggle her to sleep before I put her to bed. If I stopped jiggling, she nudged me. I also had to do this while standing. Apparently the ergonomics of the sitting jiggling were all wrong.

Anyway, now she's going to law school. And the jiggling thing feels like yesterday.

Watching Bodyguard now. Fantastic so far (just done 2 out of 6 episodes in the mini-series.)
Great pacing and acting by Robb Stark.

Binged watched Ozarks a couple of weeks ago. Great series but I wish the pacing was better -- a few minutes of levity or something else besides getting the 'project to work' (reminds me of work) or avoid being killed would be nice. Let us have a wry smile or chuckle for a few seconds would be a nice relief to break the monotony of constant tension or gnashing of teeth..

Ozark is another one I’ve been meaning to check out.
Very good series.

Season 1 is somewhat predictable, fast paced but looking back, its just the setup for the following seasons.
Season 2 is more slowboiled but much more tense.
I think upcoming season 3 has so many possibilities the story can turn.

The fun thing for me was that I used to live in KC and have been to the Ozarks a few times myself. Though I dont think it was filmed at the Ozarks but their references to MO/KS/KC do jog some memories for me.

Last edited:
I'm reliably informed that at least some of the second season is out. I also thought "The Crown" was well done, and I agree about "Shetland" too.

Have you seen Happy Valley? Only watched bits of season 1 so far.

Pretty good too. Always loved that part of England.

Ah, yes. I do know of that show. Thank you for reminding me.

We really do live in a golden age of television. So many talented people.
Almost not fair to call it television. It really can’t be compared to tv of the past.

Ah, yes. I do know of that show. Thank you for reminding me.

We really do live in a golden age of television. So many talented people.

Absolutely. The personalisation/narrowcasting of the TV experience (or now, via multiple screens) is what started it and will keep it going -- though there has to be some consolidation like any maturing industry.

Plus the technology to watch it anywhere, anytime in the world. I have not lived in the States for two decades now and yet I can watch all the (Xfinity) stations live plus all the BBC stations.
This is what feeling connected means to me.

Almost not fair to call it television. It really can’t be compared to tv of the past.

Yeap. Its just multiple screens. I always think the kids of today will all 'come home' back to the television as they age.

You just cant enjoy the viewing experience watching a movie or a sporting event on a 7in screen on the mobile or 15in on a notebook.

The TV is a sharing device. When the kids have a relationship or have kids later, they would like to bond by sharing a common experience like a movie, infotainment in general. You just can't with the smaller screens.

Yeap. Its just multiple screens. I always think the kids of today will all 'come home' back to the television as they age.

You just cant enjoy the viewing experience watching a movie or a sporting event on a 7in screen on the mobile or 15in on a notebook.

The TV is a sharing device. When the kids have a relationship or have kids later, they would like to bond by sharing a common experience like a movie, infotainment in general. You just can't with the smaller screens.
It’s not just multiple screens. A lot of the programming of today is so much better than what was available 20+ years ago. Sure there’s also a lot of garbage. But TV 20+ years ago was not comparable to films of the time. That is no longer true.

That's a great album.

There is an interesting documentary on Netflix on Quincy Jones. There is a small part of his relationship with Sinatra.

He loved Sinatra as they worked well musically but also for Sinatra's stance on black musicians back then.

The black musicians were not allowed to stay in the same hotels as the white musicians including Sinatra. He told the hotel bosses in Vegas (the mob bosses back then) that if they weren't allowed, then he just wouldn't perform there.
He also helped Quincy by opening the doors for him as a composer/arranger and doing movie scores -- and not being stuck as a musician, the glass ceiling for black musicians back then.

Without Quincy, imagine the folks that may not have made it.

It’s not just multiple screens. A lot of the programming of today is so much better than what was available 20+ years ago. Sure there’s also a lot of garbage. But TV 20+ years ago was not comparable to films of the time. That is no longer true.

Its the development and assess to multiple screens that enable entertainment companies to segment and more towards a personalised viewing experience. It allowed and demanded diversity on content but also the competition forced production companies to improve their quality.

Its the development and assess to multiple screens that enable entertainment companies to segment and more towards a personalised viewing experience. It allowed and demanded diversity on content but also the competition forced production companies to improve their quality.
Ahhhh. Sorry. Now I understand your point and you are correct.

A movie has a two-hour story arc. A TV show can have a multiple-year story arc. There's a lot of room for talented ambitious people to work, and money is starting to agree.

Ahhhh. Sorry. Now I understand your point and you are correct.

I worked for a company within Time-Warner conglomerate back in the day that narrow-casted TV programming. (My first or 2nd job after graduating.)

Bringing the mountain to Mohammed idea. Kids werent watching much TV nor learning much from it particularly news. So you made it MTV-ish. We had a young Anderson Cooper as our news anchor/reporter.

The business model was that it was so targeted, so the advertisement that paid for the programming could be more targeted and accurate too.

The beginning of a personalised viewing experience.

It looked good from the previews I’ve seen. Wish I had more time to get into a few more shows. Stuck on Better Call Saul right now and Walking Dead is about to start back up. I’ve been wanting to watch Baskets and Man in the High Castle as well. Other than that I catch an occasional episode of Modern Family, which I think is one of the funniest shows on tv since Arrested Development.

It looked good from the previews I’ve seen. Wish I had more time to get into a few more shows. Stuck on Better Call Saul right now and Walking Dead is about to start back up. I’ve been wanting to watch Baskets and Man in the High Castle as well. Other than that I catch an occasional episode of Modern Family, which I think is one of the funniest shows on tv since Arrested Development.

Go watch Bodyguard (BBC). It's very very good.

Funny: Bojack Horseman

Baskets and Man in the High Castle are both good. Looking forward to the return of The Walking Dead tomorrow night.

Has anyone watched Maniac on Netflix with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone? It's getting very good reviews. I watched the 1st episode the other night, and said to myself, "WTF did I just watch?" I do like weird shows (Twin Peaks, West World, etc), so I will continue to watch for a few episodes.

all the screens are just "televisions", we just don't call them all that.

and we've had small portable tvs for 50 plus yrs. they just never caught on because nobody wanted to watch tv on a 5 inch screen.

it is great that expatriates can have access where ever they live, but this thing that everybody has to have access to watch tv while walking down the street is creepy.

Reactions: sglowrider

i'm not sure it's as different as you make it sound.

cop shows, lawyer shows, medical shows, sitcoms, and all are not that different today.

HD does make it look much better though.

Doesn’t anybody watch Ray Donovan? Season 6 starts in a couple of weeks. Liev Schreiber is excellent as he plays a slowly devolving main character through the first five seasons. John Voight is terrific and makes the series worth watching by himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT