ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone want to take a stab...

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019
At opening night starting lineup? A lot of versatility with this group. My guess on opening night the starting lineup will look like this, although not necessarily the best

TJD
Race
Stewart
XJ
Phin

I believe our best lineup in terms of scoring will be:

TJD
Race
Kopp
Stewart
XJ

XJ, Lander
Phin, Leal, Bates
Stewart, Galloway
Kopp, Hunter, Geronimo
TJD, Race, Duncomb

Galloway, Leal, Lander and Geronimo will struggle to find minutes. Nobody goes 13 deep. 8-9 man rotation of:
Tjd-dubscomb
Race
Kopp/hunter
Stewart/Bates
Rp/Johnson

I don’t see a big Freshman “Dubscomb” playing significant minutes. Lander could be superb in what looks like a offensive minded team.

It is 420, and I am on the beach, no filter today boys and girls. Phin and Galloway aren't good enough to be on this team, one of those 2 is gonna transfer before June.
Hate to see it. I think Galloway is more likely to go. He can’t shoot it well enough. Phin can.

It is 420, and I am on the beach, no filter today boys and girls. Phin and Galloway aren't good enough to be on this team, one of those 2 is gonna transfer before June.
what beach? I just got back 2 weeks ago...couples days spent on Sanibel and Siesta Key. Tough to leave that environment.

New portal entries would not surprise me. Doesn't take a genius to see that some returning players are about to have their playing time reduced.

At opening night starting lineup? A lot of versatility with this group. My guess on opening night the starting lineup will look like this, although not necessarily the best

TJD
Race
Stewart
XJ
Phin

TJD
Race
Kopp
Stewart
XJ
Has Kopp committed? I thought we were just in his final three.

Maybe Galloway and or Leal would redshirt, get stronger and work on their game?

Johnson
Rob
Kopp/Stewart
Race/Hunter
TJD

what beach? I just got back 2 weeks ago...couples days spent on Sanibel and Siesta Key. Tough to leave that environment.

New portal entries would not surprise me. Doesn't take a genius to see that some returning players are about to have their playing time reduced.

sunset beach NC. Weather has been perfect 75 every day and sunny.

I believe the starting lineup will be something like this
Johnson
Stewart
Kopp
Race
TJD

When we go small it will be some combination of
Johnson
Rob
Stewart
Kopp/Hunter
TJD/Race

I believe Lander will be primary backup at point (fingers crossed for improvement) or Rob if he doesn’t improve.

I believe Bates/Rob will backup the 2/3.

I believe Hunter/Geronimo will back up the 3/4.

And I believe Race will slide to the 5 when TJD needs a break with spot minutes for Duncomb if we have a cushions or occasionally in the first half.

I believe Lander, Leal and Galloway need to improve to see the floor more and if Lander doesn’t Leal and Galloway will get more time at the 2/3 spot and Rob will back up point.

I believe the starting lineup will be something like this
Johnson
Stewart
Kopp
Race
TJD

When we go small it will be some combination of
Johnson
Rob
Stewart
Kopp/Hunter
TJD/Race

I believe Lander will be primary backup at point (fingers crossed for improvement) or Rob if he doesn’t improve.

I believe Bates/Rob will backup the 2/3.

I believe Hunter/Geronimo will back up the 3/4.

And I believe Race will slide to the 5 when TJD needs a break with spot minutes for Duncomb if we have a cushions or occasionally in the first half.

I believe Lander, Leal and Galloway need to improve to see the floor more and if Lander doesn’t Leal and Galloway will get more time at the 2/3 spot and Rob will back up point.
Not to be a smart a$$ but there is no longer designated guard positions. They will just be guards. All will be expected to have point guard and shooting guard skills. We will run 4 guard/wings all the time. If we can get the 5’s to be able to shoot it will be game on. No longer can guys hedge or switch.

Reactions: bob-ba-lu
Not to be a smart a$$ but there is no longer designated guard positions. They will just be guards. All will be expected to have point guard and shooting guard skills. We will run 4 guard/wings all the time. If we can get the 5’s to be able to shoot it will be game on. No longer can guys hedge or switch.
Dang. I had no idea they stopped having positions in basketball in the 3 years since I stopped coaching. Someone should tell the pros who still have positions.

I don’t mean to be a smart ass either but most teams still have a primary ball handler and someone who initiates the offense and sets who is typically a pg. Most teams still have 2 off the ball perimeter players with strong shooting skills SG, SF. Most teams still have a versatile player who can play and guard inside and out and also score inside and out or a PF. And most teams still have a primary post player and defender or a C.

Yes basketball is now requesting and putting a premium on guys who can guard and have the offensive skills of 2-3 positions but they have not eliminated positions yet.

TJD
Race
Stewart
XJ
Phin

TJD
Race
Kopp
Stewart
XJ
Losing Brunk and not adding a post tells me they will probably not play TJD and Race together much. Don't think we'll want our only post depth to be a freshman. I think it will be TJD, Kopp, Stewart, XJ and Phin/Lander.

Losing Brunk and not adding a post tells me they will probably not play TJD and Race together much. Don't think we'll want our only post depth to be a freshman. I think it will be TJD, Kopp, Stewart, XJ and Phin/Lander.
I agree that we will see that proportions of almost every game. I do however have a hard time believing that Race returned to IU to back up Davis eight minutes per game.

I agree but I think it's Hunter instead of Kopp.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You guys think it is realistic to start first year player Stewart and Kopp over Hunter and say Lander? For us to take it to another level we need someone to figure out Lander. He should be on the floor making every other player better with his head up and his tremendous passing ability. He undoubtedly has the most untapped ability on the team.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I agree that we will see that proportions of almost every game. I do however have a hard time believing that Race returned to IU to back up Davis eight minutes per game.
I didn't say that, I said not much. So, RT gets the 8 minutes or so when TJD is out of the game and plays another 8-10 with him, which is "not much" in a 40 minute game, and he's getting 16-18 mpg... which I think is pretty close to what he'll get.

You guys think it is realistic to start first year player Stewart and Kopp over Hunter and say Lander? For us to take it to another level we need someone to figure out Lander. He should be on the floor making every other player better with his head up and his tremendous passing ability. He undoubtedly has the most untapped ability on the team.
Hunter to date, has shown me nothing to believe he should start over Kopp, who has shown himself to be a better shooter and B10 player. Would love it if he does earn a starting spot, but I'm not going to cede him one because he was on the roster last year and I don't think CMW will either. I said Lander/Phin as my guess at a starting lineup and I hope it is Lander, but again, because he's earned it. He's got a longer way to go than RP based on what they've shown on the floor.

Reactions: hoosier48
Stewart will play the 2 or 3 and Lander at this point has not shown the ability to guard bigger, heavier, athletic wings. IMO Lander will be competing with Johnson and Rob for PT and I do not believe he will beat out Johnson. I hope he improves enough to back him up and give 20ish minutes a game. I have my doubts though.

Kopp looked better than Hunter to me last year but Hunter could certainly improve enough to compete with him and personally I can see both of them on the court at the same time playing the 3/4 spots.

Reactions: hoosier48
I didn't say that, I said not much. So, RT gets the 8 minutes or so when TJD is out of the game and plays another 8-10 with him, which is "not much" in a 40 minute game, and he's getting 16-18 mpg... which I think is pretty close to what he'll get.
I would be shocked at that as well. I believe Race will play 25-30 minutes which will mean they are on the court together 20ish minutes. Otherwise why come back to IU for a diminished role from both last year and what he could have played elsewhere.

I think Race gets ~25mpg. ~15mpg with TJD and another 8-10 sparing TJD. Kopp will likely see around 25mpg as well, some with TJD and Race both on the floor and some with him being the "4". Kopp will likely eat into Hunter and Geronimo's minutes, not RT.

Reactions: Beorik
Dang. I had no idea they stopped having positions in basketball in the 3 years since I stopped coaching. Someone should tell the pros who still have positions.

I don’t mean to be a smart ass either but most teams still have a primary ball handler and someone who initiates the offense and sets who is typically a pg. Most teams still have 2 off the ball perimeter players with strong shooting skills SG, SF. Most teams still have a versatile player who can play and guard inside and out and also score inside and out or a PF. And most teams still have a primary post player and defender or a C.

Yes basketball is now requesting and putting a premium on guys who can guard and have the offensive skills of 2-3 positions but they have not eliminated positions yet.
Touché bro. Touché

I’d bet my house that a big part of Woodsons pitch to TJD coming back was they wouldn’t anchor him solely in the post all game. And that they had a similar pitch to Race to get him to come back. I don’t know if that would allow them to play alongside each other or not. But I’d be shocked if ALL if either of their minutes are taken up by traditional “5” man duties. I suppose they may end up being the pseudo 5 man, but it’ll rarely be solely posting up in the post or mid post area.

Just a guess...

TJD and Race will split minutes as the “big”. With Logan not getting much, unless we have injuries or foul trouble. Probably more like 22 minutes for TJD, 16 for Race, and 2 for Logan at the 5 spot. But TJD and Race will both be MUCH more active away from the basket setting ball screens, passing, etc...

The 4 position will be covered by a lot of people. Jerome, Miller, Jordan, and yes probably TJD and Race playing together at times.

The 1-3 positions will be predominately smaller guards. Maybe Jerome and Miller sliding down to play here from time to time. Xavier getting the most minutes. Rob getting a lot. Kristian hopefully getting a lot. Parker as well.

I think Trey, Anthony, and Logan might be down the bench early on.

Who the heck knows how it will all play out though? I just hope they all embrace their roles, play hard, and enjoy themselves within their roles. I can’t fathom with Woodson, Fife, and Matta leading them, that they won’t have good strategy and planning. If they’re all bought in, it should work out well.

Just a guess...

TJD and Race will split minutes as the “big”. With Logan not getting much, unless we have injuries or foul trouble. Probably more like 22 minutes for TJD, 16 for Race, and 2 for Logan at the 5 spot. But TJD and Race will both be MUCH more active away from the basket setting ball screens, passing, etc...

The 4 position will be covered by a lot of people. Jerome, Miller, Jordan, and yes probably TJD and Race playing together at times.

The 1-3 positions will be predominately smaller guards. Maybe Jerome and Miller sliding down to play here from time to time. Xavier getting the most minutes. Rob getting a lot. Kristian hopefully getting a lot. Parker as well.

I think Trey, Anthony, and Logan might be down the bench early on.

Who the heck knows how it will all play out though? I just hope they all embrace their roles, play hard, and enjoy themselves within their roles. I can’t fathom with Woodson, Fife, and Matta leading them, that they won’t have good strategy and planning. If they’re all bought in, it should work out well.
I see some really fun ball coming. I bet the players will love it. As well as the rest of us.

Maybe Galloway and or Leal would redshirt, get stronger and work on their game?

Johnson
Rob
Kopp/Stewart
Race/Hunter
TJD
Don't know about redshirts for next year. Both those guys still have 4 yrs eligibility with the COVID rule.

TJD
Race
Stewart
XJ
Phin

TJD
Race
Kopp
Stewart
XJ
Don’t count out Bates

Reactions: 76-1

TJD
Race
Stewart
XJ
Phin

TJD
Race
Kopp
Stewart
XJ
People are saying Bates is an exceptional talent and will be starting sooner or later once the season starts. I see Kopp as perhaps a 6th man if Woodson goes with a 3 guard lineup.

I’d bet my house that a big part of Woodsons pitch to TJD coming back was they wouldn’t anchor him solely in the post all game. And that they had a similar pitch to Race to get him to come back. I don’t know if that would allow them to play alongside each other or not. But I’d be shocked if ALL if either of their minutes are taken up by traditional “5” man duties. I suppose they may end up being the pseudo 5 man, but it’ll rarely be solely posting up in the post or mid post area.
I think in TJD's press conference he alluded to playing faster and opening things up. I assume faster pace and more transition. Hopefully it doesn't lead to the silly turnovers like in Crean's time.

TJD is really good in the post so IMO, it still has to be a big part if not the primary focus of what they do. Hopefully he improves his jumper so he can mix it up with some jumpers. If the team can start nailing some jumpers, TJD can really rack some points from the FT line. So hopefully he will be working on FT's as much as his mid range jumpers.

I don't see how anyone can pick a starting lineup after TJD. Seems a lot of the presumed starters discussed are the xfers but there are a lot of high upside guys that could take their rotation spots if they live up to that potential. I'll still put hunter in the high potential group along with Bates, Lander, Geronimo and maybe Duncomb.

Reactions: Frosty83
ADVERTISEMENT