Anyone wanna talk baseball?

Discussion in 'Andy's Off Topic Forum' started by Eppy99, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Eppy99

Eppy99 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Me neither. I just don’t care anymore.

The Vid, All4You, hookyIU1990 and 3 others like this.
  2. IUAPEX

IUAPEX Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I know this is lame ... but as a Reds fan I was really looking forward to this season. It lost its luster ... but I still want to see these guys play.

Brockway and kkott like this.
  3. VanPastorMan

VanPastorMan Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Central Pennsylvania Via Washington Indiana
    I am ready for Fri night when my Cubs play their first game. My oldest daughter bought me a Cubs t shirt and a Cubs backpack. I will wear the shirt for the first time Fri night. I will use the backpack to hold my water and phone when I go out for walks. Pray for me because I live in Pittsburgh Pirate territory. I could be killed for wearing Cubs gear.

4. Eppy99

Eppy99 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I can kinda relate. Sucks when your team is supposed to be decent and they can’t play. I used to be a big Expos fan when the Indianapolis Indians where the farm club team for them. For those that remember I don’t recall the year but there was a work stoppage and the Expos were really good. They never got to finish the season.

It was hard being an Expos fan because they had some amazing talent that the ownership would let walk away every free agent season. Was so damn frustrating.

It was fun seeing some of those players play for the Indians. Delino DeShields, Marquises Grissom, and others. Course everyone’s favorite Indian, Razor Shines never could punch his ticket.

Cream&Crimson, kkott and IUAPEX like this.
  5. hookyIU1990

hookyIU1990 Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All the squabbling and tone deaf crap by both sides this year has turned me off and has cast the die for what I believe will happen next season. It seems fairly obvious to me that they're headed for either a lockout or strike in 2021.

6. outside shooter

outside shooter Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I like the talent / potential in the Reds starting rotation and will gain some interest if they were to start out strong.

brianiu and IUAPEX like this.
  7. The Vid

The Vid All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You’re a Cubs fan? That sucks. You should consider switching over to the Pirates

kkott likes this.
  8. VanPastorMan

Expand Collapse

Hopefully you don't live in our town because maybe you will be the one who accosts me.

9. IU40IU

IU40IU All-American
    Expand Collapse

Dodgers about to ink Betts to a huge deal. Makes me smile. I still want to see some baseball, regardless.

Shortened season def helps a team like the Reds who made some solid deals. Will be interesting to see how they do. If I were a Reds fan, I would be excited.

First things first, though. The Blues start their Cup defense Sunday night!

mrhighlife likes this.
  10. sluggo69

sluggo69 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Being the degenerate gambler, Sluggo got into a HR derby draft. Itching for the season to start.

11. mrhighlife

mrhighlife Freshman
    Expand Collapse

The Reds have a legit shot at being very good. I'd want to see that this year.

As a Dodger fan I've been spoiled for some time. Hoping they can get over the hump this year. They have a good squad returning next year but will lose several pieces to FA.

The Cubs are in a tough spot. They really need to tear it down and rebuild around Javy. The Sox however are looking very good. Their lineup is pretty scary. They are going to put up some runs. Starting rotation is ok to good. Bullpen is bad. Very bad.

IU40IU and IUAPEX like this.
  12. VanPastorMan

Expand Collapse

Tonight I am watching some of the Cubs/ Twins game. But I have the sound down and am listening to other things. It's not that bad. I can see the pitches and hits etc.

13. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I hope the Dodgers can get in the playoffs and see what happens. They've had a recent history of mulling around to start the season then go on a blistering streak around June. They don't have time for that this year.

IU40IU likes this.
  14. mrhighlife

mrhighlife Freshman
    Expand Collapse

They should have no problem. They had the best record in baseball last year through the first 60 games.

Also breaking news is mlb is expanding playoffs to 16 teams. 8 per league. Barring a catastrophe that pretty much guarantees the Dodgers a spot. Cubs and Sox both have great chances now too.

15. Cream&Crimson

Cream&Crimson All-American
    Expand Collapse

Anybody watch the Nats / Yankees last night? I watched most of it. It was good to get some baseball in. The empty stands gave it a kind of weird feel but they piped in crowd / organ music which helped.

Anything's better than nothing.

IUAPEX likes this.
  16. outside shooter

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My social media was clogged today with people (mostly Hoosiers) saying that they will never watch pro sports again due to the kneeling protest. It was on TV last night with baseball resuming, and basketball soon to follow.

Give me a break. If you feel that way, I will be very blunt: you are mad because you believe a fairy tale. You were told, falsely, that kneeling is an anti-American, anti-military statement. It isn't & it never was. That was a straw man argument, a blatant lie to rally up hatred.

The people kneeling or not kneeling are making a statement about whether murdering unarmed Blacks is not OK (kneel) or OK (don't kneel). Ask them.

We can discuss how often this does or doesn't happen, separately, but, again, the quesion is whether murdering unarmed Blacks is NOT OK (kneel) or OK (don't kneel).

Kneeling was suggested as the proper way of protest by a Green Beret, whom Colin Kaepernick knew. Kneeling is now and always was a sign of respect. You kneel before God, before a king, before the grave of a relative. You humble yourself to the cause. Here. you humbly state that murdering unarmed Blacks is NOT OK, and should never be OK in your vision for America.

Abandon the fairy tale. Understand the issue.

Black lives matter. That statement does not mean that they matter more. It does not mean that you support any organized group. It means simply that you do think that black lives do indeed matter, and that murdering unarmed Blacks is not OK.

Watch sports if you want to. Don't watch if you don't want to. But understand what is true and what is a fairy tale.

IUAPEX and IU40IU like this.
  17. IU40IU

IU40IU All-American
    Expand Collapse

Agree 100%.

18. IUAPEX

IUAPEX Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Outside ... good post, but would also add that not kneeling does not indicate you are OK with murdering unarmed young black men ... you didn’t say that, but the words could have been construed as such.

That said, I have never been against kneeling ... I am concern d about the welfare of mankind and we need more open dialogue in this country that is not controlled narrative.

For any who may be interested I recommend reading Full Dissidence by Howard Bryant .., was excellent read and transparent perspective.

19. hookyIU1990

hookyIU1990 Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I have misunderstood the premise. Did you just equate not kneeling to tacit approval of murder?

Hoopsdoc1978 likes this.
  20. outside shooter

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Being vehemently opposed to kneeling (as a fan) or refusing to kneel (as a player) is either a consequence of tacit approval of such murders, a consequence of being misinformed, or a consequence of being unwilling to let it be known that you oppose such murders, perhaps out of fear of hate from others

21. IUAPEX

IUAPEX Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That’s a little too extreme Outside ... I have seen several players standing with their hands on the shoulders of those kneeling. Let’s not get into judging the hearts of men on their willingness to kneel ... me thinks that is a bit too narrow of a perspective.

Just as it is my perspective it is rather narrow for someone to state ... “I ain’t watchin’ no man play a damn sport who can’t stand during the national anthem” ... I would choose not to judge a man or athlete should they choose to stand for our country.

I’m willing to let each man make their decision and frankly see it is a minor distraction from the real conversations we should be having.

All4You likes this.
  22. hookyIU1990

hookyIU1990 Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Did you pull anything when you made that huge, abrupt leap of logic?

A decision to stand for the anthem and a belief that there needs to be drastic reform to stop senseless killings at the hands of bad cops are not mutually exclusive.

76-1, All4You and Hoopsdoc1978 like this.
  23. VanPastorMan

Expand Collapse

Kyle Hendricks just pitched a gem tonight. Very enjoyable to see him. Cubs only scored 3 runs so the bats didn't really come alive. Great first game to watch in my new Cubs t shirt my oldest daughter bought me for Fathers Day. She just had a baby on Tuesday, my second grandson.

24. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Kershaw is down already. That puts it on Beuhler and the offense.

25. GeddyHoosier

GeddyHoosier Junior
    Expand Collapse

Same here. I’m much happier watching Ice Road Truckers.

26. Hoopsdoc1978

Hoopsdoc1978 Senior
    Expand Collapse

That type stupidity is far worse than that which compels people to get angry at the kneelers.

All4You and hookyIU1990 like this.
  27. VanPastorMan

Expand Collapse

On the Cubs broadcast today they showed fake fans. It was kind of freaky. From far away you couldn't tell so that was interesting. They do have real fans in the upper area off of right field.

28. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Most Cubs fans are fake fans.

29. VanPastorMan

Expand Collapse

That's not true. How many of us would always say, "wait till next year"? Finally in 16 we did it.

30. hookyIU1990

hookyIU1990 Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Childhood friends that I spent every school day with for all those years and guys who I played sports with from little league through high school were suddenly filling my Facebook feed with "Fly the W" and that stupid Cubs song. I'd never heard the first one claim to be a Cubs fan in the 70s, 80s or 90s and they haven't said squat since '16.

Everyone who was a casual baseball fan at best suddenly became a Cubs fan for half a season.

13thman likes this.
  31. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Karma already setting in on the Astros. Verlander out for the year.

IU40IU likes this.
  32. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Compare the number of Cubs posts here in 16 vs any other year.

evvcabinetman and hookyIU1990 like this.
  33. outside shooter

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

"We" did?

Were you the team chaplain? ;)

Circlejoe likes this.
  34. 13thman

13thman All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Billy goat baptizer.

35. Crossblock

Crossblock Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

The problem for me is with the way the season is contrived, it holds no interest. I'm one of those kids who grew up in 50's and 60's playing baseball and following it. Getting your newspaper the next day and seeing box scores was a treat. Getting the Week's Edition of the Sporting News with all the statistics, Box Scores, and Articles was like Christmas each week of the summer. And of course buying the Nickel packs of Topps Gum was always a thrill to see what Cards you would get, although chewing the Gum was on a par with eating paste.
    My problem is that no matter what someone does Statistically this year in a 60 Game Season it just isn't comparable to what anyone has done historically. To me, those comparisons are the essence of baseball and very good discussion.